ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds

I hope Yianni can pull this out but I think Amouzad is a horrible matchup for him. Yianni needs to operate from space and Amouzad forces his opponents to wrestle from an over under and he is so strong from that position. He just kills people from there and with his pressure it’s really hard to create any space. I think Amouzad is going to be a star for Iran for a long time as well. He won U20’s last year so this is his first year at the senior level full time and he has made the world finals with the toughest draw imaginable. He beat Musukaev and Aliyev to make the finals. Hopefully it’s a good competitive match

Yianni for gold at 65kg vs Rahman Amouzad (IRI)
  • The video screen there has Yianni as John Diakomihalis
  • Yianni straight on shot is stuffed twice now
  • Yianni with a nice shot, exposes for two, gets exposed himself, and then there's some rolling around leading to the question, as is often the case in a Yianni match, of who between the two wrestlers scored. As it sits it's 4-2 but it seems likely to change.
  • 8-6 is the score, don't ask how.
  • Yianni gives up 2 on a nice scramble, but is ahead 8-8 with a 4 point move.
  • Break
  • Yianni keeps finding himself in a front headlock
  • Amouzad with a deep shot, but Yianni gets oob to keep it to a step out. 9-8 Amouzad.
  • Amouzad with another shot, Yianni does splits at edge but it's scored a TD. 11-8.
  • Amouzad with another TD, 13-8.
  • under :30
  • That'll be it, Yianni takes silver. Great wrestling by Amouzad, I've never seen anyone consistently convert takedowns against Yianni like that.

Last edited:
Snyder v Batyrbek Tsakulov (Slovakia) for gold at 97kg
  • Snyder high C with no resistance at all, easy 2
  • Snyder driven out but he's grounded
  • Hands to the face warning, and now a blood timeout, a cut above Snyder's right ear
  • Another warning but they're just head taps
  • Tsakulov warned for passivity
  • Snyder shoots off whistle, gets behind off front headlock, but Tsakulov scampers out of it
  • Tsakulov is on clock with a minute left in first
  • Snyder stuffs a duck under attempt; he's now up 3-0 with shot clock point
  • Break
  • Snyder pushes out Tsakulov at the edge, 4-0
  • Another pushout at edge by Snyder, 5-0
  • Snyder with lots of level changes and headfakes but with 1:30 remaining can coast.
  • Tsakulov shoots, Snyder with front headlock, grabs, lets go of an ankle, then pushes Tsakulov out. 6-0, :50 remaining.
  • Tsakulov shoots, Snyder spins but he's going to stalemate.
  • Clock runs out, Snyder a world champ again, 6-0

Last edited:
What a performance from the US team! 4 gold, 4 silver, a fifth and even Zilmer won 2 matches. Obviously not as deep without Russia but Iran’s team is very very good. Them not wrestling baby Yaz definitely hurt but what this US team did was incredible. Breakthrough performances from Zain and Yianni. Dake, JB, DT, and Snyder cemented themselves as all time greats and Gilman continues to prove he is one of the best 57kg wrestlers in the world. Cox lost a tough one to a great wrestler in Ghasempour but showed he is right there with him. Overall just a masterful performance by a super deep USA team! I had a wonderful time watching and talking wrestling with all of you! Thanks for the commentary and wrestling talk!

Hilarious.

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.09.18-14_48_53.png

Article here.

• Hands to the face warning, and now a blood timeout, a cut above Snyder's right ear
  • Snyder shoots off whistle, gets behind off front headlock, but Tsakulov scampers out of it
  • Break
  • Snyder with lots of level changes and headfakes but with 1:30 remaining can coast.
  • Tsakulov shoots, Snyder with front headlock, grabs, lets go of an ankle, then pushes Tsakulov out. 6-0, :50 remaining.
tikk, I want to thank you so much for all of your play-by-play the last few days. I really appreciate it and I know everyone else does also. You're the best.

• Break
Bump!

It is a bummer we won't get the chance to see Kyle v. Sadulaev this tournament, but what a great opportunity for Kyle to add another World title to his illustrious career. Kyle has become one of my favorite wrestlers. He is such a respectful, kind and genuine person that I can't help but root for him. And the best news of all is he said recently that he plans on wrestling for as long as his body allows, and that he currently feels the best physically of his career. We American wrestling fans are blessed to have Kyle representing Team U.S.A. Here's to many more years of Kyle tearing it up on the mat!

Kyle looked great this tournament. That was a well-executed match against Mohammadian.

Nice work by Captain America!

My only disappointment in the video is that the guy loudly blowing the horn/kazoo next to the cameraman did so for only 30- to 60-second spurts at a time rather than nonstop throughout the match.

will ferrell cowbell GIF

You guys can make fun of Hawkeye fans if you want and TnT, but Iowa is an awesome place to be. That state has the friendliest people you can ever imagine and just real good people. Draw the line.
I’ve read that and I’d like to believe it but I don’t see it. Not in football and definitely not in wrestling.

This is an amazing stat! No telling how many World medals Kyle will have before his career is over. He did mention in a recent interview that he plans on wrestling for as long as his body allows, and that he currently feels the best physically of his career. Here is to many more healthy years of Kyle competing. Like with so many of the current crop of American wrestlers, he has been a great ambassador for our sport.

tikk, I want to thank you so much for all of your play-by-play the last few days. I really appreciate it and I know everyone else does also. You're the best.
Thanks for the kind words Psalm1. I appreciate when others do it and I can't watch, so it's nice to contribute when I have the time. I know FS is less popular here but there's never been a better time to follow the sport so I'm happy if others get into it due to activity and hype here.

ADVERTISEMENT