ADVERTISEMENT

Regional brackets for recruits

Another big upset -- Stephens is nationally ranked and #1 in PA AA.

This loss will now cause #1 (Stephens) and #2 (Nathan Taylor, Brookville) to be on the same side of the West Super Regionals bracket.

PS, low singles work against the heavies too.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Ok. I was listening to the broadcast and I thought they said you had to be third. Thank you for the correction.
It varies by region.
NE AA = 3
SE AA = 5
NW AA = 3
SW AA = 5

NE AAA = 4
SE AAA = 4
NW AAA = 2
SC AAA = 3
SC AAA = 3

Notable from the South Central regional -- wins by 2 freshmen (twins, I presume) Kaedyn and Kamdyn Williams of Manheim Twp. at 106 and 113.

Kamdyn beat PIAA 2020 AAA runner-up Aiden Lewis of Cedar Cliff 9-7 in the semifinals at 113. Lewis took 3rd and will get a chance to avenge his defeat.

Last edited:
D2 AA got 5 wrestlers thru to Super Regionals -- 2 finished 2nd (including Pepe), 3 finished 3rd.

While only top 3 advance last year, in normal years top 4 go to states -- and that wouldn't have changed anything. Nobody else from D2 made the 3rd/4th place match.

D2 AAA not faring any better -- thru the first 10 weights, D11 has qualified 35 of the 40 slots for Super Regionals.
D2 AAA got 15 through to the Super Regionals, not too bad.

Let’s just say that the club I wrestled for back in the day produced a lot of talented wrestlers, who were well trained by the time they got to Jr High and High School. Then the program shut down and kids didn’t start wrestling until 6th & 7th grade instead of kindergarten so the High Schools that benefited from those wrestlers took a downturn as well. I’m not saying Lake - Lehman would be putting as many wrestlers through as they did back in the day but I do feel it would be more than it is now if that program had stayed around.
that is a tough one. It is a lot of work to run a club - for profit or not. Mine was 'for not' and the time consumption is immense. Of course, depending on perspective it is well worth it. The difficulty is finding the successor.

Looking over some of the weekend results and brackets, gotta pull for Nathan Higley at 145, from small school Sullivan County in District 4. He's undefeated this year against some good competition. Will have to get by Levi Haines of Biglerville at some point in the East Super Regional AA and/or PIAA state tournament.

Higley the best ever from Sullivan County?

30 District Champs Since 07, not including this year .. but no State Champions since Davis in 07.
We used to discuss this in hershey every year. It seemed LL had some good horses bit not enough good competition through the year or not good training partners. Something was off in the room and it showed when wrestling the regional tournament. I remember this middle weight they had last name gurren or something like that. Real slick wrestler. Think he placed second or third that year at states Early 90s.

Reactions: hlstone
Looking over some of the weekend results and brackets, gotta pull for Nathan Higley at 145, from small school Sullivan County in District 4. He's undefeated this year against some good competition. Will have to get by Levi Haines of Biglerville at some point in the East Super Regional AA and/or PIAA state tournament.

Higley the best ever from Sullivan County?
Haines and Higley will almost certainly meet in the East finals. Doesn't matter much who wins that one. They'll be in opposite sides at states.

2 good opponents in the West: Kenny Duschek (138 S3) and Kaeden Berger (132 S5). IMO Berger will win that matchup and face the Haines/Higley loser in the state semis.

Haines has to be a prohibitive favorite, but that's why they wrestle.

Other first round matchups that I think are interesting in the Western Super Regional:

120 Mason Leiphart Dover vs Mac Church Waynesboro

152 Bryce Buckman Central Dauphin vs Rocco Welsh Waynesboro

D-3 AAA wrestlers have traded what used to be a week off between Districts and States for a trip to Altoona and tough matchups with the best of the Western Pa guys.

Other first round matchups that I think are interesting in the Western Super Regional:

120 Mason Leiphart Dover vs Mac Church Waynesboro

152 Bryce Buckman Central Dauphin vs Rocco Welsh Waynesboro

D-3 AAA wrestlers have traded what used to be a week off between Districts and States for a trip to Altoona and tough matchups with the best of the Western Pa guys.
Some other good openers:

AAA West:
126 - Luke Simcox vs. Ethan Berginc (last year's 113 state champ)
138 - Matt Sarbo vs. Finn Solomon (returning state finalist)
145 - Ty Linsenbigler vs Riley Bower
152 - Jared Keslar vs Paniro Johnson - rematch of last year's state 3rd/4th place match
172 - Tate Nichter vs. Lance Urbas

Didn't see anything compelling in first round East AAA. (later rounds, absolutely.)

AA West:
113 - Chris Vargo vs Calan Bollman (last year's 106 runner-up)

AA East:
113 - Adam Schweitzer vs Robert Gardner
145 - Noah Frack vs Patrick Edmonson

AAA West should have the most -- it combined 3 regionals, so no 4th/5th placers to mix in.

Can anyone tell me the logic behind super regionals what's the point less kids at states?
That's exactly it. PIAA mandated that all tourneys had to be single-day events. Only way to do that was cap states at 8 per weight.

Don't think we'll ever see this again. Though it should make for some interesting wrestling ... and also SC AAA loses its advantage of having the week before states off.

Reactions: royboy
Can anyone tell me the logic behind super regionals what's the point less kids at states?

Yes. Fewer kids at states. Due to Covid it needs to be a one day tournament. So they have condensed it to 8 competitors per weight. Gotta whittle it down, so, super regionals.

Yes. Fewer kids at states. Due to Covid it needs to be a one day tournament. So they have condensed it to 8 competitors per weight. Gotta whittle it down, so, super regionals.
So next year if no covid we go back to normal and no super regionals

Looks like AA States are all on 3/12 and AAA all on 3/13

And 4 wrestlers at each weight from East Super-Regional and 4 from West Super-Regional in each tournament?

Full consolations down to 7 vs 8?

I mean I get it but its just strange. If you go to Hershey you are guaranteed to place but it all resets and starts over. Weird!!! It should get interesting!!!

I mean I get it but its just strange. If you go to Hershey you are guaranteed to place but it all resets and starts over. Weird!!! It should get interesting!!!
It will ultimately take away from those massive upsets you see from some kid who worked his ass off to finish third at regionals and upsets a past champion. Now it looks like every match is a mini dapper dan wtf

Reactions: Dogwelder
It will ultimately take away from those massive upsets you see from some kid who worked his ass off to finish third at regionals and upsets a past champion. Now it looks like every match is a mini dapper dan wtf
Maybe but not necessarily. Those matches are happening this weekend. Also, top 4 from each super regional advance to states -- so the kid who pulls that upset this weekend only has to win 1 more match to have another shot at it at Hershey.

In some ways those upsets might be even more likely this weekend than at a normal states -- because some otherwise top performers (Pierson Manville) didn't even qualify due to the # allocations per district. We'll find out when the action starts.

Reactions: Sportfan2017

Notable from the South Central regional -- wins by 2 freshmen (twins, I presume) Kaedyn and Kamdyn Williams of Manheim Twp. at 106 and 113.

Kamdyn beat PIAA 2020 AAA runner-up Aiden Lewis of Cedar Cliff 9-7 in the semifinals at 113. Lewis took 3rd and will get a chance to avenge his defeat.

Reactions: danoftw
Maybe but not necessarily. Those matches are happening this weekend. Also, top 4 from each super regional advance to states -- so the kid who pulls that upset this weekend only has to win 1 more match to have another shot at it at Hershey.

In some ways those upsets might be even more likely this weekend than at a normal states -- because some otherwise top performers (Pierson Manville) didn't even qualify due to the # allocations per district. We'll find out when the action starts.
I agree didn't look at it like that til you mentioned it but I can see that there might be some really good matches this weekend. I'll have to tune in and see who makes it from district four. Which super regional will they be in east or west. I'm assuming east right

Reactions: dbldoofus
I agree didn't look at it like that til you mentioned it but I can see that there might be some really good matches this weekend. I'll have to tune in and see who makes it from district four. Which super regional will they be in east or west. I'm assuming east right
AA east
AAA west

Locations:
AA: IUP, Pottsville
AAA: Altoona, Quakertown

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT