ADVERTISEMENT

Regional brackets for recruits

I'm guessing SVN won't be wrestling in the post season, given that he's already living in State College?

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I haven't seen the bracket yet but at some point steen will face Owen Reinsel from Brookville. That will probably be his toughest competition prior to the state tournament.
You may already know this, but http://live.pa-wrestling.com/ is a great website for up-to-date brackets and brackets from past years. Reinsel and Steen are indeed in the NW AA 120 bracket (on opposite sides). As mentioned above, #1 ranked in PA Mason Gibson is expected to make the West Super Region bracket out of the SW AA bracket along with Steen and Reinsel.

You may already know this, but http://live.pa-wrestling.com/ is a great website for up-to-date brackets and brackets from past years. Reinsel and Steen are indeed in the NW AA 120 bracket (on opposite sides). As mentioned above, #1 ranked in PA Mason Gibson is expected to make the West Super Region bracket out of the SW AA bracket along with Steen and Reinsel.
Ungar is in SE Regionals, will be the heavy favorite to win East Super Regional.

Meaning the Steen-Gibson loser will be in Ungar's side of the bracket at states.

NE Regional has been a bloodbath so far. A total of (1) non D4 wrestler has won a match through 5 weights and that was Pepe.
Sounds about normal. IIRC about 5 kids from D2 typically advance from NE AA Regionals to states.

Gonna be much worse this year -- because in normal years 4 kids advance. This year only 3 go to East Super Regionals.

Reactions: Lb4097 and Str8DBLz
NE Regional has been a bloodbath so far. A total of (1) non D4 wrestler has won a match through 5 weights and that was Pepe.
4 kids from D2 advanced in Round 1:
- 113 Pepe (returning state 3rd)
- 138 Schneider
- 152 Bonomo
- 215 Wrobleski

Of them, Pepe might be the only one to go to Hershey. The other 3 aren't even certain to reach East Super Regionals. A few of the first-round losers could advance to next weekend, but most of them got dominated and/or are in stacked weights.

Pierson Manville's season is over. He lost to Jude Swisher (Bellefonte) in NW Regionals, then to Braden Bower (Williamsport) in the true 2nd match. Only top 2 go to West Super Regionals.

Manville was ranked #3 in the state.

EDIT: should've mentioned -- these aren't 2 stiffs he lost to. Swisher was 4th at states last year. Bower was a freshman SQ in 2018, missed all of last year due to injury, was 17-2 this year after winning districts. The 3 of them have split matches against each other. Just collateral damage of the Super Regionals format.

Last edited:
Sounds about normal. IIRC about 5 kids from D2 typically advance from NE AA Regionals to states.

Gonna be much worse this year -- because in normal years 4 kids advance. This year only 3 go to East Super Regionals.
I remember lake lehman used to send their whole team to regionals and about two might make it past semis lol.

• Sad
Reactions: hlstone
Pierson Manville's season is over. He lost to Jude Swisher (Bellefonte) in NW Regionals, then to Braden Bower (Williamsport) in the true 2nd match. Only top 2 go to West Super Regionals.

Manville was ranked #3 in the state.

EDIT: should've mentioned -- these aren't 2 stiffs he lost to. Swisher was 4th at states last year. Bower was a freshman SQ in 2018, missed all of last year due to injury, was 17-2 this year after winning districts. The 3 of them have split matches against each other. Just collateral damage of the Super Regionals format.
I would love to see a poll of coaches after this weekend to see if they support the super regional format

I would love to see a poll of coaches after this weekend to see if they support the super regional format
Yeah, can't see that happening.

The reduced # qualifiers (regions getting fewer into supers than into states) is one thing.

But even if # qualifiers were expanded, it's just one more weekend of physical brutality.

Hoping for a little help from you fine PA folks....

I'm trying to get some more info on how to watch the PA post season. More specifically, I was hoping to catch some of Wyatt Henson's matches(yes, I'm a Hawkeye fan).

If I am understanding it correctly, the next events for Henson are:

AAA regional, followed by super-regional, then States.

To my questions:

Is that the correct post season breakdown? Is there a way to watch any/all of these events? Who is going to be his biggest challenges?

I appreciate any help that you can give me.

I'm trying to get some more info on how to watch the PA post season. More specifically, I was hoping to catch some of Wyatt Henson's matches(yes, I'm a Hawkeye fan).

To my questions:

Is that the correct post season breakdown? Is there a way to watch any/all of these events? Who is going to be his biggest challenges?

According to the WPIAL AAA site......Wyatt won 18-3 in the 1st round and 5-1 in the Semis. He is in the Final @ 145lb. vs the #2 seed Altieri from Norwin

To my questions:

SW regional is available through PA Power wrestling on Rokfin if you have it. Im not 100% on the super regional, if Flo doesn't stream it PA power will. State tournament will be on Flo for sure.

Reactions: jrod65

To my questions:

1. Yes, that's the sequence.

2. How to watch this weekend -- see Post 19 above.

Subsequent rounds -- PA Power Wrestling on the tweeter will have that info.

3. He's already into the regional finals vs. John Altieri (27-2). Altieri is a very good opponent -- last year finished 4th at states at 138 behind Henson, Hillegas, and Farber.

Ty Linsenbigler (29-6) will also likely advance from SW Regionals to West Super Regionals. He was 5th last year at 145 with OT losses at states to Jagger Condomitti and Paniro Johnson.

The only other noteworthy guy going to West Super Regionals is Riley Bower (20-0). He's a returning state qualifier, but unlikely to beat Henson. Maybe make Henson work a little.

One he gets to states: add 3 state qualfiers -- Dagen Condomitti, Connor Eck, Sam McMonagle. Condo is the one to watch from the east.

Brackets for every round can be found here:

They do a really good job keeping the brackets updated after every round.

Thanks all! Got the video feed up just in time. Finals are starting now.

Thanks all! Got the video feed up just in time. Finals are starting now.
For reference: Altieri is committed to Clarion. Linsenbigler and Eck are headed to Lock Haven. McMonagle is headed to Brown. Bower is a JR, will get D1 offers next year. Condo is a SO (brother will be at Nebraska next year).

D2 AA got 5 wrestlers thru to Super Regionals -- 2 finished 2nd (including Pepe), 3 finished 3rd.

While only top 3 advance last year, in normal years top 4 go to states -- and that wouldn't have changed anything. Nobody else from D2 made the 3rd/4th place match.

D2 AAA not faring any better -- thru the first 10 weights, D11 has qualified 35 of the 40 slots for Super Regionals.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT