ADVERTISEMENT

PSU's E-mail to ticket holders regarding options for 2020

It is not punitive because it was never guaranteed. They always let you but it up to them annually. They never stated prior to buying them that the seat location was guaranteed for next year.
Actually they did. When I first bought season tickets in the 70's they said exactly that. As long as I made my required NLC donation, I was guaranteed, in writing, the same seats the following season. That was true for 40 years. It may have changed after I gave up my seats in the wake of the STEP disaster, but it was once a written policy.

Last edited:
LOL, if someone has more points than me I doubt they want to sit in NEU.:D

Request a refund then. That's by design. For the seats where the big bucks come from, if you give them up you have a good chance of ending up with worse seats. That's the deal. Everybody is going to have to figure out what is best.

Me I'm just treating the tax deduction as a 30+% windfall and moving on knowing that the donation I have made to ICA is going to help ICA weather the year.

Reactions: doctornick
I would start with Sandy and her bevy of assistants. She can carry her sorry ass back to Cal. oh yea they didn't want her either.

I agree 100%. I can see supporting athletic scholarships to a point but supporting a bloated overpaid, overstaffed, and underworked athletic dept without seeing any major staff and salary cuts is telling. Sandy taking a 5% salary cut? Ya big time sacrifice from her.

I agree 100%. I can see supporting athletic scholarships to a point but supporting a bloated overpaid, overstaffed, and underworked athletic dept without seeing any major staff and salary cuts is telling. Sandy taking a 5% salary cut? Ya big time sacrifice from her.

Sandy should go after the corrupt B1G and get our 60 Million back. I think we have more than enough evidence as to why. That would go a long way in helping.:cool:

LOL, if someone has more points than me I doubt they want to sit in NEU.:D
Edit: Speaking of NEU has anyone heard or seen anything from @belizediver?
He was also an NEU'r. :)

With NEU seats, you probably have a relatively safe gamble on getting the same seats again. Or something real close with no disadvantage in angles or sight lines. Maybe. You are not guaranteed, though!

Reactions: BBrown
I saw reported that it was a 15% pay cut, not 5%. You could argue whether it should have been more, for sure.

With NEU seats, you probably have a relatively safe gamble on getting the same seats again. Or something real close with no disadvantage in angles or sight lines. Maybe. You are not guaranteed, though!

Yea, I'm really not too worried about someone taking my seats. Its the way the damn thing was worded that got me all torqued up.
I'm calming down but damn they don't make it easy being a PSU fan or Alum.

Reactions: Bob78
Got my donation letter from robber barron a couple weeks ago. Returned it in their envelope with only a note saying I'll resume donations once he and sandy are gone.

actually the options would be fine if they didn't bitchslap those who want a refund.
I agree. They are missing the view that there are some really dedicated fans who have been impacted by all this, can really use the money back, and who are hoping to be able to be back in their seats next year. I don't think they should be penalized for requesting a refund.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
What about club seats? I paid over $7200 for the license fee for four tickets. They are just keeping it?!??

Did you get an email? I've had 4 club seats since they opened the Mt Nittany club and I haven't even gotten an email. Of course I get every other email from Sandy and friends along with all the mailings asking for $$$.

She should be benchmarking all of her admin staff against best in class universities. And then right-sizing her staff accordingly. Actually all of Penn State should be conducting this exercise. I occasionally guest lecture at University Park and when I compare the size of admin staffs that I deal with and compare it to what we are afforded in industry is eye-popping...by a factor of ~ 10x. It is shocking, sad, and infuriating (as a tuition paying parent).

I haven’t read the entire thread. If this has been discussed’ I apologize,

If one “rolls-over” 2020 tickets to 2021, why would one need an “[e]xtended Payment plan for 2021 football season tickets”?

Rollover to 2021 Football Season Tickets

• Season ticket holders can opt to roll over their 2020 football season ticket (ticket price only) and parking payment to their 2021 football season tickets and parking.
• The 2020 football seat contributions will be converted to a tax-deductible donation to the Levi Lamb Fund.
• Season ticket holders who are paid in full will be guaranteed a price freeze for their 2021 football season ticket(s). A seat contribution will still be required in 2021, but will also be frozen at the 2020 contribution levels.
• Additional benefits to choosing this option include:
• In the event the Governor’s orders regarding large group gatherings changes, you will get priority access to seats based on NLC Priority Points.
• 50 NLC Priority Points (equivalent to a $2,500 donation).
• Extended payment plan for 2021 football season tickets.
• Exclusive Enter to Win opportunities throughout the year.

Kinda depends on which part of the Upper. If below the walkway where the seatbacks are....if you give those up you’ll never see them again. Nearly no one leaves those seats.

I just spoke with a friend who has held tickets for 20 years. He needs to take the refund. He is hurting financially. He is really pissed with option 3.
Fair that is my issue with option 3 and the no seat guarantee-are they so myopic that the don't realize there are people who really need the money back? They don' t understand there are people whose decision on seats has nothing to do with football....very sad

I got 5 NFU seatbacks when step started and would never give them up,best seats in the stadium.

For anyone who has actually gotten an email, have they communicated how someone is supposed to communicate their option selection back to the university?

For anyone who has actually gotten an email, have they communicated how someone is supposed to communicate their option selection back to the university?
This is a link in the e-mail to enter your option. The link has your name, email address and account number. Once you enter this information, the three options will pop up. Then select your option. It will also ask you if you want a call back from the athletic dpeartment.

Can we trade our tickets for some of those bigheads they are putting in the stands at MLB parks?

00mlb-empty-2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

It is not punitive because it was never guaranteed. They always let you but it up to them annually. They never stated prior to buying them that the seat location was guaranteed for next year.[/QUOTE

It’s putative or they wouldn’t be guaranteeing them for the folks that roll the money over 2021. That’s what I’m doing but I do think Sandy is screwing those that choose option 3. Not smart

Not sure what we will do on this. I am not donating all the $$. Will probably push to 2021.

agree with everyone on #3. There are a lot of people out there that need that $$ now given the current economy. They are being totally tone death. As expected.

This affects 800 athletes and a loss of > $100MM ... I want to see the books and where that number came from.

Not sure what we will do on this. I am not donating all the $$. Will probably push to 2021.

agree with everyone on #3. There are a lot of people out there that need that $$ now given the current economy. They are being totally tone death. As expected.

This affects 800 athletes and a loss of > $100MM ... I want to see the books and where that number came from.

If you can afford to roll it over to 2021, you need to do it. I can just imagine what the NEW NLC Contribution Levels are going to be and how much tickets are going up next year. They specifically mentioned price freeze for those 2 things with option 1 and 2. Everybody is locked and loaded on not guaranteed to get your seats in 2021 if take refund and are not noticing it is going to cost more to go to a Penn St game. Penn St has not guaranteed same seats in the past. Someone my dad knew did not pay his tickets renewal on time and got moved to different seats in the late '80s. I have also heard stories that seats got moved because a non season ticket holder paid for the tickets by check. Only husband or wife of season ticket holder could be the name on check.

A couple of other thoughts about the options. Option 1 is not advantageous if you are not able to itemize. Also, I believe (not certain) that some season ticket holders may have renewed their tickets early in 2019. If that is the case, they would need to file an amended return to claim the ticket price as a deduction & very likely have to pay a fee to their tax preparer for the amended return. Probably hardly worth the trouble and expense if you only have two tickets. Finally, the awarding of bonus NLC points is not really fair when a person with two season tickets (appx. $850) is awarded the same number of bonus points as a person with 8 tickets worth appx. $3400. And, while Option 3 includes the veil threat of losing your seat location, that is not very likely but certainly unsettling nonetheless.

The financial collapse of universities is well deserved, both in academics and athletics. For 30+ years, universities have been ripping off students and leaning on federal money to avoid student loan repayment default consequences. They have been using student athletes to pull in millions upon millions of dollars, funnelling the money into executive salaries, lavish buildings, and do nothing professor salaries. PSU is no different. The PSU brand is a money maker, a business; and they surely only care about the dollars and cents.

I haven’t read the entire thread. If this has been discussed’ I apologize,

If one “rolls-over” 2020 tickets to 2021, why would one need an “[e]xtended Payment plan for 2021 football season tickets”?

Rollover to 2021 Football Season Tickets

• Season ticket holders can opt to roll over their 2020 football season ticket (ticket price only) and parking payment to their 2021 football season tickets and parking.
• The 2020 football seat contributions will be converted to a tax-deductible donation to the Levi Lamb Fund.
• Season ticket holders who are paid in full will be guaranteed a price freeze for their 2021 football season ticket(s). A seat contribution will still be required in 2021, but will also be frozen at the 2020 contribution levels.
• In the event the Governor’s orders regarding large group gatherings changes, you will get priority access to seats based on NLC Priority Points.

It is most likely for those that haven't paid in full yet for 2020. They'll extend those payments out to the 2021 deadline, reducing the payments accordingly over that period.

The following is an excerpt from an email received from Sandy Barbour regarding ticket options for football in 2020.

1. Convert Your 2020 Football Season Ticket Purchase into a Tax-Deductible Donation

• Season ticket holders can opt to turn their entire 2020 football season ticket (ticket and seat contribution) and parking cost into a tax-deductible donation to the Levi Lamb Fund.
• Additional benefits for choosing this option include:
• 100 NLC Priority Points (equivalent to a $5,000 donation).

2. Rollover to 2021 Football Season Tickets

3. Request a Full Refund

• Season ticket holders can opt to request a full refund of their 2020 football season ticket (ticket price only) and parking payment.
• The 2020 football seat contributions will be converted to a tax-deductible donation to the Nittany Lion Club’s Levi Lamb Fund.
• Season ticket holders who request a refund will retain their season ticket holder status in the renewal process for 2021, but will not be guaranteed their 2020 seat locations and parking for the 2021 football season.

Season ticket holders can make their choice by submitting this online selection form or by calling 1-800-NITTANY. If we have not heard from you by Friday, August 21, a member of our athletic ticket staff will be in contact.

F#ck Penn State. Tax deductible donation my fourth point of contact. I want every cent back. F#ck the Levi Lamb Fund. Greedy pigs is all they are.

My money is Penn State winning.

Yes. Winning against the hundreds of families that support PSU to a fault.

After 2011, and the disaster our admin created for the school, I promised to never spend another cent on PSU athletics. Scholarship donations. They're making $100 million a year. Donations is the last thing PSU needs. They need a better admin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT