ADVERTISEMENT

PSU's E-mail to ticket holders regarding options for 2020

I would have thought they would have contacted the Seat Club members directly to address this, but that would assume PSU is competent at communicating with their fanbase.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I think they are going to upset a lot of people by not giving season ticket holders the option to refund or rollover the donation. As we all know, it's not a donation. The IRS does not consider it a donation. It is a requirement to purchase season tickets.

EXACTLY ... a few years ago it was a donation. But the tax codes changed. It is no longer a deductible donation. It is technically a "charge for the right to purchase priority tickets".

I slogged through the dark years, every game, I put up with STEP, I continued to support the team through the illegal sanctions and JS shitshow. If my seats aren't in the same exact location as they were from 2001-20018 they, Sandy and all, can kiss my ass. I'll watch PSU from the comfort of my sofa, if I even care at that point.

It's sad that it is coming to this. To actively work AGAINST your customers is pure insanity.

I agree--how hard would it have been to guarantee seats at this point? I doubt there's going to be a huge rush to buy them next year--so why tick off a bunch of people--unless they r stupid

Agree. There will be no one in the stands in 2020.... so who is freaking taking your seats if you want them in '21???

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
The threat of loosing your seat if you ask for a refund is total BS considering no fans in the stands... "who the F#@K is taking your seats this year" ???????

I would get that threat if they announced a "decreased" attendance. For example, if they announced capacity of 25,000/home game. And if you asked for a refund.... then "technically" ... "technically" .... "logic" could apply that some of those 25,000 were placed in your old seats. Since someone else was placed in your old seats in 2020.... then you lost those seats in 2021.

That example would be extreme. And it would still be totally bogus. But at least it could be "Technically" possible.

But how is it technically possible, or even theoretically possible, for someone to take your seats in 2020... if NO ONE is in the freaking stands ?!?!?!?!?!?!

+100. I swear to God they are looking for new ways to piss off the alums and fans that have supported this school and team for 40 years. They may have just found it. Well done Sandy, well done.:rolleyes:

If you agree to let them keep your money if no season is played you "may" get tickets if the season is played. If you want a refund which is your legal right if an event cannot provide thickets you paid for you could lose access to your seats in the future. Once again PSU saying screw you instead of working with fans.
It's hard to love PSU, bordering on impossible

EXACTLY ... a few years ago it was a donation. But the tax codes changed. It is no longer a deductible donation. It is technically a "charge for the right to purchase priority tickets".
But donating doesn't obligate one to buying tickets either. It is possible to donate and not even request tickets. I'm no accountant but I'd think the donation isn't deductible only if you actually leverage it in order to get tickets. If there are no tickets, either because you didn't apply for them or because the university isn't providing them for some reason (e.g. COVID), wouldn't the donation become entirely deductible since there's no ticket benefit?

Reactions: doctornick
In reviewing the letter we received, we plan on taking option one as we are fortunately in a position to do that. One concern I do have is that they did not state in writing that seat location and parking location will be guaranteed if you take option 1 or 2. It is silent. I want to see in writing that they are guaranteed or avoid any confusion next year.

As for option 3, I find it unfair to those who have supported the athletic department for many years but due to current circumstances they need their funds back but will be punished for it. I take it as the University saying, we are in back financial shape, let us keep you money. Oh, you're in bad financial shape? Screw you, that's you're problem and F* your prior loyalty. Maybe they should have an option to give the University a $100 of your refund to hold your location.

I get this is a tough situation for everyone and I think they got some of it right but option 3 is a total swing and a miss.

It would be quickly dismissed from court. Where do you have a contract guaranteeing you the same seats year after year? Just because they have done that in the past doesn't obligate them to continue to do so. STEP actually is precedence of this where they moved seats. Remember the courts don't rule based on feelings but law. What contract do you have with the athletic department do you have stating those seats are yours annually.

Secondly they have always said donations are no refundable and are not seat licenses. People had no problem with it when they were written that way for tax purposes.

They probably should have given you the option to get your donation back but I understand why they aren't.

The issue is not a guarantee of the same seats--its putting punitive conditions on a refund u r entitled to

Let me first say I’m not a season ticket holder. This maybe the perfect time to renovate and down size Beaver Stadium. With this plan for season ticket holders, it maybe a long time that Beaver Stadium sees 106000 in the seats.

If you agree to let them keep your money if no season is played you "may" get tickets if the season is played. If you want a refund which is your legal right if an event cannot provide thickets you paid for you could lose access to your seats in the future. Once again PSU saying screw you instead of working with fans.

I try to view this as a program that needs help. The NLC donation for seats has been spent this season on scholarships and overhead. Administrators and coaches have suffered pay cuts.
For most the answer should be roll them over for 2021 and get behind these kids and coaches.
I'd be spending my energy demanding a more reasonable fan number from the Governor. I support this team traveling from Destin or Atlanta for home games. I'm going to miss that this fall but my support for the program remains strong. We beat the sanctions and we'll beat the pains of Covid because WE ARE PENN STATE!
However, I do think Sandy's option # 3 was shortsighted and overlooked the folks who are financially struggling as well due to Covid. To threaten to take specific seats from a 20 or 30 year ticket holder isn't well thought out especially when you already took their 2020 "right to" seat fee...........

Let me first say I’m not a season ticket holder. This maybe the perfect time to renovate and down size Beaver Stadium. With this plan for season ticket holders, it maybe a long time that Beaver Stadium sees 106000 in the seats.

Terrible idea. By next year, people will be starving for in person sports. I would predict record demand for tickets next year. You're dreaming if you think it will be a long time to see a full stadium.

Where are they going to get the funding for that right now when already faced with financial challenges and the possibility of no season and loss of 10's of millions of dollars?

Which option do you think they should have proposed, but did not? Of course they're not going to guarantee that you'll be allowed in the stadium even if games are played - it's looking more likely that there are no fans at all than any fans, and if there are fans in the stadium, it will be far fewer than the number of season ticket holders. It is what it is on that front.

Sure, they could have guaranteed your seats and parking for next year even if you get a refund...but the reality of the situation is that they very much want you to either write off your 2020 season tickets as a donation, or carry the amount you've already paid over into next year. You can absolutely request a refund - which is your right to do - but you aren't necessarily entitled to get refunded without potential consequences. I would suspect that the number of people who (a) are refunded, and (b) have their seats and parking swiped out from under them for 2021 will be pretty small.

Sounds like blackmail to me.

Terrible idea. By next year, people will be starving for in person sports. I would predict record demand for tickets next year. You're dreaming if you think it will be a long time to see a full stadium.

You could be right. You could be wrong. I think this is a wait & see. Your logic has sound reasoning. I would not dispute your idea. Logically, it's very possible for people to be "sport starved" as you suggest. Very possible.

But another possibility is people seeing how nice that $$$ is in their bank accounts, and what they can do different with that $$$ (home renovations, other trips, purchases...). And, people just might like the stay at home experience.

There is an old belief that you never let a customer leave because once that customer leaves, there is a good chance they will not come back.

It is 100% certain that Penn State will not get 100% re-newels from season ticket holders from 2020 to 2021. That's just an impossible number. The question then becomes "what is the percentage of season ticket holder renewals from 2020 to '21 and can that percentage be replaced by new season ticket holders"??? For example, if they lose 20% and 80% of season ticket holders re-new for 2021, then can they make up that 20% with new season ticket holders????

I think they should not expect us to pay seat licenses again next year if we roll over our seats to 2021. I'm not using the seats in 2020 but I paid the license fee to use them. I get they want/need our money, but we would not have paid the seat license money without the expectation of attending games.

If money is an issue, how about going to the B1G and demand the money for the bowl game shares from the early 2010's that was wrongly confiscated.
Now you are talking! And if the Big10 does not pay, we walk! At a minimum, O$U, Michigan, and Michigan State should OSU is back as they have been convicted of far worse crimes tied directly to their respective Universities!

+100. I swear to God they are looking for new ways to piss off the alums and fans that have supported this school and team for 40 years. They may have just found it. Well done Sandy, well done.:rolleyes:
It amazes me that people still think either her or Onion Dip have a clue. I could literary pluck someone from my loading dock and do just as well!

Reactions: bytir and bison13
Let's be honest - the only football that really matters to America right now is youth and HS Football - because it involves our children. Your kid works hard at becoming the starting QB, you should be able to watch him play. Period.

The rest of it is entertainment (even PSU Football). Entertainment can be eschewed for rounds of golf, or hikes in the mountains or walks on the beach. Very, very easily.

Does anyone really think there will be college football this fall? NO WAY... the fear mongering and manipulation has ratcheted itself up to a level where it will be a year after widespread vaccinations before we ever get anywhere close to where we were.

I try to view this as a program that needs help. The NLC donation for seats has been spent this season on scholarships and overhead. Administrators and coaches have suffered pay cuts.
For most the answer should be roll them over for 2021 and get behind these kids and coaches.
I'd be spending my energy demanding a more reasonable fan number from the Governor. I support this team traveling from Destin or Atlanta for home games. I'm going to miss that this fall but my support for the program remains strong. We beat the sanctions and we'll beat the pains of Covid because WE ARE PENN STATE!
However, I do think Sandy's option # 3 was shortsighted and overlooked the folks who are financially struggling as well due to Covid. To threaten to take specific seats from a 20 or 30 year ticket holder isn't well thought out especially when you already took their 2020 "right to" seat fee...........
PSU needs to cut overhead - across the board. Use Purdue as an example of how to get it done!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the wording in Sandy's letter stating no fans in the "general seating areas". I take that to mean there will be fans in the suites this year. Not sure I'd take an invite this year with the small elevator access and crowded hallways on the 3 floors, but hey there is onion dip in at least one suite.

Didn’t the governor make the rule which limits the size of gatherings? What choice do they have?

Didn’t the governor make the rule which limits the size of gatherings? What choice do they have?

Yes he did. But the no fans in the stadium is not why many of us are upset. I think most of us knew that was the direction it was headed and understood it.

I can’t imagine having such a sense of entitlement that I could request a refund for something, then cry like a child if I am inconvenienced by my own decision.

“I requested a refund on my front row seats for The Rolling Stones’ last tour. Aisle seats - would have been awesome. They better have them ready for me next time they’re playing in Philly!”

The issue is not a guarantee of the same seats--its putting punitive conditions on a refund u r entitled to
It is not punitive because it was never guaranteed. They always let you but it up to them annually. They never stated prior to buying them that the seat location was guaranteed for next year.

The governor also said this earlier today. It was asked in context of HS but not answered that way.

"The guidance is that we ought to avoid any congregate settings, and that means anything that brings people together will get us and we have to do anything we can to defeat the virus. And any time we get together for any reason, that's a problem because that makes it easier for the virus to spread. So the guidance from us and recommendation is that we don't do any sports until January 1," Gov. Wolf said."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT