ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Wisconsin 2020 Dual Thread

I just read it again. I missed the 57kg reference. Can’t believe Gross is 125. He looked big at 133. That said, either Lee will maul him.
The interesting thing about Gross going 57kg is that he needs to make that weight 14 days after wrestling at 133 at NCAAs in Minneapolis.
It's not like he can balloon up to 140 Saturday night. This will be a major disadvantage for him IMHO.

Pretty close crystal ball both matches.

I am so jazzed for RBY. So fast & athletic, getting better by the day. Who the heck wants to face him in March? Dangerous and proof positive he can hang with Gross and AD.

RBY and Nick Lee are noticeably physically stronger this year which has closed the gap with everyone else.

Ref sure did take his time calling stalling on Gross in the 3rd. Gross running away for virtually entire period... no call until something like 20 seconds leftt.

Yep. Iowa (-12). On paper.
Hawks have a nice squad.

But once Lugo or Murin crap themselves in the 2nd round, and the Hawks only go 4-5 in the quarters Friday morning, a lot of starfish will pucker up over on HR.
So who are the 5 losing in the quarters?

More of my useless road trip musings from inside the Field House:

1. My first trip to the Field House, and it’s a great old (emphasis on old) venue for wrestling, but then I had good lower section seats.... second level looked like some possible “obstructed view seating” and third level was mostly hidden behind their many Volleyball banners (well not everyone can be good at wrestling! :p)

2. Seats were as hard as Rec Hall... but much wider... a good thing for those of us with a more “full figured” seating surface to accommodate. :confused:

3. Parking - there is more parking at your local bank branch than at the Field House (which btw, is attached to Camp Randal Stadium!)... and that limited parking was “assigned”... and seeing as how my name was somehow not on the the young man’s list... I was banished to find “street parking” in an adjacent neighborhood...:mad: ( good thing I was early... like 2 hours early... Ok, ok... I’m still learning about time zones and that not everyone operates on Eastern time.:oops:)

4. They had a nice turnout (no announced attendance... but locals estimated 3,500-4,000), and it was an OK crowd, but nothing like the frenzied fans of Nebraska,.. which frankly surprised me given Chris Bono’s promotion capabilities and the wild crowds he got for the Jackrabbits! o_O In speaking of this with locals, they mentioned just how badly Barry had destroyed the program and the fan base... and that it was a long slog back. :(

5. I saw several posts about the stalling cries from the fans... believe it or not, it was actually not as bad as it was in Nebraska... here it was only three or four loud human beings (not including coach Bono) who were screaming “stalling”... and lucky for me, one was beside me and another two rows behind me. :mad: The reason it came though so loudly was (see #4) it was so dang quiet in the arena that it carried.

6. By 165 I was at my limit when loud-mouth neighbor screams...”what’s he doing on top!” I turned to Mr Clipboard (he was keeping his own score) and ask him “are you serious? Unlike your boys, Cenzo’s actually working for a turn”... and Cenzo delivered... probably saving me from getting bopped over the head with said clipboard..:rolleyes:

7. Opposite side of me from Mr. Clipboard was a father & his 10 year old son. They drove all the way from somewhere west of Chicago. They knew nothing about college wrestling (including whether it was free or folk style rules) but his son (a young wrestler) said that he “wanted to see Penn State wrestle!” They left very happy, that young boys face just beaming... I did have to warn them that not all college wrestling is as dynamic as Penn Sate, but that is the way the sport is moving :D

8. Lastly, if you want to understand the heart of this team... when Shak was wrestling, all the team was standing and into the match as if the entire match depended on it... they all knew how important a confidence builder for Sugar would be... lead cheerleader: Nick Lee along with Cenzo. It was heart warming to see and I snapped a foto... but unfortunately I’ve long given up trying to post them here. :)

So now a day of rest and travel to Minneapolis ... for Sunday’s match. I am hoping to get there early to visit some thrift & vintage stores to see if I can get me one of those Gopher National Champs Tees from a few years back... :p

Last edited:

1. My first trip to the Field House, and its a great old (emphasis on old) venue for wrestling, but then I had good lower section seats.... second level looked like some possible “obstructed view seating” and third level was mostly hidden behind their many Volleyball banners (well not everyone can be good at wrestling! :p)

2. Seats were as hard as Rec Hall... but much wider... a good thing for those of us with a more “full figured” seating surface to accommodate. :confused:

3. Parking - there is more parking at your local bank branch than at the Field House (which btw, is attached to Camp Randal Stadium!)... and that limited parking was “assigned”... and seeing as how my name was somehow not on the the young man’s list... I was banished to find “street parking” in an adjacent neighborhood...:mad: ( good thing I was early... like 2 hours early... Ok, ok... I’m still learning about time zones and that not everyone operates on Eastern time.:oops:)

4. They had a nice turnout, and it was an OK crowd, but nothing like the frenzied fans of Nebraska,.. which frankly surprised me given Chris Bono’s promotion capabilities and the wild crowds he got for the Jackrabbits! o_O In speaking of this with locals, they mentioned just how badly Barry had destroyed the program and the fan base... and that it was a long slog back. :(

5. I saw several posts about the stalling cries from the fans... believe it or not, it was actually not as bad as it was in Nebraska... here it was only three or four loud human beings (not including coach Bono) who were streaming “stalling”... and lucky for me, one was beside me and another two rows behind me. :mad: The reason it came though so loudly was (see #4) it was so dang quiet in the arena that it carried.

6. By 165 I was at my limit when loud-mouth neighbor streams...”what’s he doing on top!” I turned to Mr Clipboard (he was keeping his own score) and ask him “are you serious? Unlike your boys, Cenzo’s actually working for a turn”... and Cenzo delivered... probably saving me from getting bopped over the head with said clipboard..:rolleyes:

7. Opposite side of me from Mr. Clipboard was a father & his 10 year old son. They drove all the way from some west of Chicago. They knew nothing about college wrestling (including whether it was free or folk style rules) but his son (a young wrestler) said that he “wanted to see Penn State wrestle!” They left very happy, that young boys face just beaming... I did have to warn them that not all college wrestling is as dynamic as Penn Sate, but that is the way the sport is moving :D

So now a day of rest and travel to Minneapolis ... for Sunday’s match. I am hoping to get there early to visit some thrift & vintage stores to see if I can get me one of those Gopher National Champs Tees from a few years back... :p
Nice write-up. You’re living the life!

Reactions: Creek Side

I got 4. 141 might not make it to quarters. 149 is 50-50 in quarters.

Comes down to wrestle backs. Where Iowa holds the edge is they will take all 10 while we take 8, and Iowa is getting points in the back side of the draw while we are going to need a miracle to do that at 149 and 184 unless Shak is replaced by Beard. I think the margin will be something like 8 to 10 points with Shak, but close to a push with Beard who will make the podium.

few thoughts and questions.
- RBY - great match and I did like how they did not award 4 to Gross on account of RBY being on top of Gross a bit (aside form the angle). My take on the non-takedown - I thought it was 2 as there was pause before Gross rolled. Compare takedowns to the properly called 2 for Imar in the finals as Cenzo's fingers touch the mat on the shrug... Regardless I was encouraged with RBYs finished.
- 141 just goes to show you can't take anything based on one match (see Hall/Kem dawg). Who is to say how Nick was feeling or what was going on before last years match. We put too much emphasis on one performance and I would say these wrestlers are seldom 100%.
- Bo - Really needs some O. I did think the cradle lock up was 2 based on the opponent not having a hold of Bo's leg and being on his hip. Appreciate some other perspective to correct me here. Remember Jimmy G being in the same position against VaTech years ago but was told the person still had his leg..
- What was AB discussing with the ref about at the end? Baby oil? Very nice match.
- Good to see Shak shoot. I am fearful of his knee preventing penetration shots. Also good to see him shoot on the right leg as it appears he has been looking for the wide open shot on the right leg.
- Saw the Hilger match last week. Wonder if he would have wrestled if the match was close. These damn concussions. Has kept Helen out over a hear.
- Stalling inconsistency is driving me mad. Hanging on a claw ride and not trying to do anything else for minutes is stalling. Hand fighting is one thing, and with tilts these day is 'everything' but this is ridiculous. I did not think Meredith was stalling at all - head up, always working to his base...

The kid had baby oil on.
I don’t know what the kid’s hair looks like. Was he using the Soul Glow Jheri Curl activator? That stuff gets everywhere!

images

Last edited:
Stalling on bottom seems to just be an incredibly subjective call. I've seen kids really trying like Hell to get out but they're just getting dominated by someone like Nick Lee called for stalling. On the other hand, I've seen other kids be allowed to just lay there underneath a mediocre top wrestler and not get dinged.

Stalling on bottom seems to just be an incredibly subjective call. I've seen kids really trying like Hell to get out but they're just getting dominated by someone like Nick Lee called for stalling. On the other hand, I've seen other kids be allowed to just lay there underneath a mediocre top wrestler and not get dinged.
And the parallel ride stall call on top man is all but extinct. Somehow that too is stalling on bottom man.

Reactions: Ski and hlstone
And the parallel ride stall call on top man is all but extinct. Somehow that too is stalling on bottom man.

Yeah I think Barnett should have been hit for sure, probably a couple times.

I do think RBY should have been hit for “regular stalling” when he was just hanging on the leg even though he “wasn’t locked.”

But didn’t see much else I disagreed with.

I like RBY vs Gross match much better then RBY vs AD. RBY can get to Gross's legs at will and Gross cannot out muscle him. Just need to be ready to be Delgado'd.

Reactions: diggerpup
I like RBY vs Gross match much better then RBY vs AD. RBY can get to Gross's legs at will and Gross cannot out muscle him. Just need to be ready to be Delgado'd.

Gross invites people to legs, that shouldn’t have surprised so many people last night. Roman fighting through those scramble positions should have

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Yeah I think Barnett should have been hit for sure, probably a couple times.

I do think RBY should have been hit for “regular stalling” when he was just hanging on the leg even though he “wasn’t locked.”

But didn’t see much else I disagreed with.

RBY was above the knee, that’s not stalling.

Reactions: danoftw

1. My first trip to the Field House, and it’s a great old (emphasis on old) venue for wrestling, but then I had good lower section seats.... second level looked like some possible “obstructed view seating” and third level was mostly hidden behind their many Volleyball banners (well not everyone can be good at wrestling! :p)

4. They had a nice turnout (no announced attendance... but locals estimated 3,500-4,000), and it was an OK crowd, but nothing like the frenzied fans of Nebraska,.. which frankly surprised me given Chris Bono’s promotion capabilities and the wild crowds he got for the Jackrabbits! o_O In speaking of this with locals, they mentioned just how badly Barry had destroyed the program and the fan base... and that it was a long slog back. :(

5. I saw several posts about the stalling cries from the fans... believe it or not, it was actually not as bad as it was in Nebraska... here it was only three or four loud human beings (not including coach Bono) who were streaming “stalling”... and lucky for me, one was beside me and another two rows behind me. :mad: The reason it came though so loudly was (see #4) it was so dang quiet in the arena that it carried.

6. By 165 I was at my limit when loud-mouth neighbor streams...”what’s he doing on top!” I turned to Mr Clipboard (he was keeping his own score) and ask him “are you serious? Unlike your boys, Cenzo’s actually working for a turn”... and Cenzo delivered... probably saving me from getting bopped over the head with said clipboard..:rolleyes:

7. Opposite side of me from Mr. Clipboard was a father & his 10 year old son. They drove all the way from somewhere west of Chicago. They knew nothing about college wrestling (including whether it was free or folk style rules) but his son (a young wrestler) said that he “wanted to see Penn State wrestle!” They left very happy, that young boys face just beaming... I did have to warn them that not all college wrestling is as dynamic as Penn Sate, but that is the way the sport is moving :D

8. Lastly, if you want to understand the heart of this team... when Shak was wrestling, all the team was standing and into the match as if the entire match depended on it... they all knew how important a confidence builder for Sugar would be... lead cheerleader: Nick Lee along with Cenzo. It was heart warming to see and I snapped a foto... but unfortunately I’ve long given up trying to post them here. :)

I thought the red lights on the crowd looked cool.

Yeah, Gross is ankle diver and knee twister extraordinaire. Hated how he wrestled.

There are plenty of bottom stalls that never seem to get called and many situations where the bottom man is just overwhelmed and while he squirms and moves around he has no prayer of getting off the bottom and he gets dinged several times. One of the worst no stall calls on a bottom guy this year was the third period at 133 in the Nebraska Iowa match. The Nebraska kid had a bar on DeSanto for 2 minutes and DeSanto sent the entire period in a ball or on his belly. Never once attempting a move off the bottom, just belly down or knees under. What is a picture definition of bottom stalling was recognized by the ref once.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
It was “regular stalling” IMO because he stayed in the same position for 10+ seconds without trying to break Gross down.
I thought it was because he was on the ankle and you only have five seconds to work up. Ref determined he started holding ankle with 6 secs left.

They don’t wrestle on paper.
Shit happens at NCAAs.

——
P.S. -
I’m old enough to remember when 6 seed @141 Chris Dardanes AND 2 seed @149 Nick Dardanes BOTH got bounced and neither made AA.

Penn State won the team title 109.5 to 104.

Jammenz is old enough to remember that as well. He still has the t-shirt.

Maybe you don’t remember that, because the Hawks only finished 4th.

4-& means four out of five meaning one loss in the quarters. Threw me off as well. But since you ask young murin assad all could go in the quarters depending on draws. Hell it's nationals anyone can lose at anytime that's what history has taught me. Even our guys could lose that's what makes Cael so special he gets out guys up at the right time. Can't wait should be a barn burner.

No.
4 out of 9.
4-5 in quarters.
5 losses.

The odds of Hawks getting tough draws in quarters, winning 4 and losing 5 are much greater than 0.00%.

Is it probable? No.
Is it possible? Shit yeah.
As soon as they are done with their noon time collective circle jerk they will out looking for you and your mean words.

No.
4 out of 9.
4-5 in quarters.
5 losses.

The odds of Hawks getting tough draws in quarters, winning 4 and losing 5 are much greater than 0.00%.

Is it probable? No.
Is it possible? Shit yeah.
Maybe better odds that < 9 make the quarters.

Reactions: diggerpup
Yes; exactly what I was thinking of.

Used to drive me nuts to see Nico repeatedly get in good leg shots and have Delgado just dive for the ankle, resulting in either a stalemate or occasionally a funk score by Delgado.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT