ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Ohio State Dual Thread

I would not be surprised if they are made to wrestle tired the next two dual meets. Then as you say things will lighten up headed towards big ten champ. They will begin the recovery cycle and start climbing to a major peak Through big 10 tournament and on to nationals.

You can’t be at peak all the time. There are troughs that are planned and wrestlers are expected to wrestle the best they can through these difficult troughs. There are performance cycles.

Nick Lee got beat in the trough and others looked off but you can see what happens on the up cycle. See Ohio State for example.

As a former cross country and track person we called that training thru. Hard workouts even the day before competitions and then tapering late in the season. Worked fairly well for us as my senior season we were 3rd at states (in MD) in cross country and state champs in outdoor track. Indoor track they didn't keep a team score. Cael and crew seem to have it done to a science.

There was a lady in the front row after that scramble, who just turned to her husband and looked at him like how is that even possible and her husband just gave her a nod and a smile and kept his eyes on the mat to make sure he didn’t miss anything else. That’s the appreciation of art and greatness there.
Tom Ryan and Mrs. Tom Ryan?

It was close. On replay I would have given the takedown. While the match was still in doubt the ref struggled, not quite up to par with the quality of wrestling.
As far as the official chosing to review, the ref looked to side official for a yea or nay and got nothing. Choosing to self review is always an option, but the choice was not self determined - it was done because the OSU bench was barking. The official should have pushed the match forward and if OSU wanted to challenge they should have tossed the brick.
I believe I saw a brick on the mat. The BTN crew missed it, just like they missed a stall warning on one of our guys.

Reactions: Dogwelder
McKenna looked like he inserted the half wizard after the fact. Yes.

My guess is that the call was overturned because Nick sort of fumbled the second leg and never really had control while the McKenna was working to start the wizzer. Not sure I *agree*, but I'm guessing that is what the ref saw on review.

Of course, I also think Verk pretty clearly walked Micah to the edge because he couldn't get to a good mat return and am fine with the call because I wish that was called a stall more consistently. So, grains of salt and the like.

It was close. On replay I would have given the takedown. While the match was still in doubt the ref struggled, not quite up to par with the quality of wrestling.
As far as the official chosing to review, the ref looked to side official for a yea or nay and got nothing. Choosing to self review is always an option, but the choice was not self determined - it was done because the OSU bench was barking. The official should have pushed the match forward and if OSU wanted to challenge they should have tossed the brick.
This is my take also, Ryan was in the ear of the Ref a lot! I agree the ref should have made him throw the brick.

This is my take also, Ryan was in the ear of the Ref a lot! I agree the ref should have made him throw the brick.

tOSU did throw the brick as seen from this screen shot. Announcer inexplicably said otherwise.

y1SACiD

Absolutely. I love what he gives the team. Hes a phenomenal backup for 165, 174 and even 184. He fights to the end.

Not sure where he’ll fit in, but I’m sure he’ll find a spot or be a valuable part of the team

He will fit in for Mark next year when Hall takes an Oly redshirt.

Yes, once again, my opinion the catalyst for Cael shirting 2-3 others like Nick Lee, VJ Oly?, Beard, Brooks, even RBY if it weren't for the away match at ASU.

Last edited:
Pre-match fun re-enacting the PSU football victory over Ohio State with the blocked field goal

I like how these guys can be so loose before a match and then so intense during it. This reminds me of a couple years ago at BIGS at IU. After a rough Saturday night session, when tOSU had opened up a big lead, and our fans were feeling down, they are out on the mat Sunday morning playing an improvised baseball game while the other teams were warming up. I think they know they're well prepared and that leads to confidence.

Reactions: diggerpup
A personal recap...

- A wonderful dinner, pre-match, with about a hundred fellow fans...Schmidt’s German Restaurant...fourth time there, over the years. Great spot for large groups.
- Arrived at St. John’s early. Watched half a dozen of the wrestlers running pass plays and kicking field goals with a foam cube. FUN.
- Wrestling stuff has been discussed, at length. It was special being there. 50 or so PSU students there too, tucked in the corner of the arena, loud and proud with their white Pom-poms and dress-alike t-shirts just for the dual. Even sang, shoulder-to-shoulder, Penn State’s Alma Mater when the dual was over.
- Back to the wrestling. RBY and Lee took the steam out of the home crowd, winning bouts they were not favored to win, in a hostile environment. That’s a true freshman and a true sophomore, folks! Jason, Cenzo, Mark, Bo, and Anthony did their thing, all bonus point wins. And Jarod, Mason, and Devin fought the whole 7 minutes, total effort.
- Special thank you to the pro-Buckeye crowd for clearing out early. By the end of Schnuop’s bout, it was an easy walk through St. John’s, then to our bus, and lastly, departing the area heading away from the arena. :);)

I sit down in my seats last night and ask the OSU fan next to me what he expects the final score to be. He said he wasn't sure but felt pretty good about Moore taking out Bo. I looked at him twice to make sure I heard what he said, and then said, wow I really don't see that happening. ;)
Then in RBY's match, guy down in front left of me started yelling "stalling"!!! I thought to myself, hope this guy learns to shut his mouth cause I don't think I'm going to be able to put up with this the entire match (also wondered if he would continue that chant for all matches). Quite frankly, both RBY and Pletch were both feeling each other out and wouldn't have had a problem with double call and get'm to wrestle. Well, that was the last time all night I heard him say a thing.
It was tremendous dual. Student section was awesome. OSU wrestlers were just outclassed but classy. Very quiet after Nolf's match. The way I like it......

Watched the match on DVR... thoughts:

-No offense to Nolf, but I think the Hodge is Nickals to lose.

-Nolf looked different yesterday. I saw a level of quickness that was up a notch from usual.

-Lee beating McKenna. I don’t think he is better than Yianni, but Lee just solidified himself from AA to true title contender (at the start of the season I would have said lock to AA but not make the finals)

-VJ is the most non talked about multi time champ in a while. Kept doing what he does.

-I think tOSU is ranked too high and a lot of the rankings are too favorable. I didn’t see a lot of guys wrestle like they were properly ranked where they are.

-One team looked more prepared to wrestle than the other. I know the “thing” people say about Cael is he can only recruit, but getting your guys to perform on game day should not be overlooked.

——- good on you and congrats PSU fans.

Why would a coach pre-match talk about a 5-5 split and needing 18 points. He just admitted that he expected 5 of his wrestlers to lose. That is some serious motivation expertise, sorry guys 5 of you are not good enough. That is just more pressure on everybody else when Pletcher lost. Everybody on both teams knows the deal, don't need the coach is point it out publicly.

Cael would say something like he expects all 10 guys to wrestle hard and compete.

Jake Ryan is somewhere acknowledging that's my dad, telling wrestlers they are not good enough.

Ref your first line, to be fair, I believe he said “on paper it looks like 5-5.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Anyone else wake up this morning and after getting a coffee, turned the DVR on to watch the match again?

I’m at 157..

Had the DVR on before the coffee was poured.
Watched the match on DVR... thoughts:

-No offense to Nolf, but I think the Hodge is Nickals to lose.

-Nolf looked different yesterday. I saw a level of quickness that was up a notch from usual.

-Lee beating McKenna. I don’t think he is better than Yianni, but Lee just solidified himself from AA to true title contender (at the start of the season I would have said lock to AA but not make the finals)

-VJ is the most non talked about multi time champ in a while. Kept doing what he does.

-I think tOSU is ranked too high and a lot of the rankings are too favorable. I didn’t see a lot of guys wrestle like they were properly ranked where they are.

-One team looked more prepared to wrestle than the other. I know the “thing” people say about Cael is he can only recruit, but getting your guys to perform on game day should not be overlooked.

——- good on you and congrats PSU fans.

So our B team was entertaining?

Cael allows them to recover. Every wrestling program works hard, it is part of the sport. Cael and PSU have mastered the art of recovery. Iowa was all about the grind, that is why for a long time they wilted at NCAA's (although that has changed the last few years).

A few weeks ago Askren on the Rudis podcast is talking about PSU being "off" this year. Reality was they were "off" because they were getting their butts kicked in practice. The last two weeks not so much and they looked a lot sharper.

I would expect some sluggishness the next few weekends too, then scale back the rest of the season to be sharp for the post-season.

It’s called “tapering” and a good coach can make a science of it. No one is better at it than Cael

Reactions: diggerpup
I sit down in my seats last night and ask the OSU fan next to me what he expects the final score to be. He said he wasn't sure but felt pretty good about Moore taking out Bo. I looked at him twice to make sure I heard what he said, and then said, wow I really don't see that happening. ;)
Then in RBY's match, guy down in front left of me started yelling "stalling"!!! I thought to myself, hope this guy learns to shut his mouth cause I don't think I'm going to be able to put up with this the entire match (also wondered if he would continue that chant for all matches). Quite frankly, both RBY and Pletch were both feeling each other out and wouldn't have had a problem with double call and get'm to wrestle. Well, that was the last time all night I heard him say a thing.
It was tremendous dual. Student section was awesome. OSU wrestlers were just outclassed but classy. Very quiet after Nolf's match. The way I like it......
Moore is very good, but got a lot of early credibility by keeping it close with an early season, unmotivated JDen Cox. Cox was like - “who is this pesky freshman who has the audacity to challenge me”. He has holes which can be exploited by a guy like Nickal. In some ways, he’s like a smoother Sammy Brooks.

I watched the replay of the Nickal/Moore match on the Youtube video BTN posted and something I did not notice the first time around because of the action was if you look in the background right when Nickal starts going for the cradle the reaction of the rest of the team as RBY is really into it and then you see Hall "following" Nickal as he is trying to turn Moore on his back. Such a great scene that reminded me of when Nickal pinned Martin and Hall was the first one there off the mat. It is great to see all of the wrestlers really into each other's matches like that.

He will fit in for Mark next year when Hall takes an Oly redshirt.

Yes, once again, my opinion the catalyst for Cael shirting 2-3 others like Nick Lee, VJ Oly?, Beard, Brooks, even RBY if it weren't for the away match at ASU.

You wouldn’t base a kids entire year on whether or not we wrestle in the state of Arizona

Reactions: 7Springs
My guess is that the call was overturned because Nick sort of fumbled the second leg and never really had control while the McKenna was working to start the wizzer. Not sure I *agree*, but I'm guessing that is what the ref saw on review.

Of course, I also think Verk pretty clearly walked Micah to the edge because he couldn't get to a good mat return and am fine with the call because I wish that was called a stall more consistently. So, grains of salt and the like.

I actually agreed, on replay, that Lee did not have the TD. Live, it looked like he did, but, on replay, he never really got the 2nd left before the whizzer.

On the other end, I thought the stall call on Verk was one of the absolute worst I've ever seen. It was clear to me that Jordan was running out of bounds.

Reactions: royboy
I actually agreed, on replay, that Lee did not have the TD. Live, it looked like he did, but, on replay, he never really got the 2nd left before the whizzer.

On the other end, I thought the stall call on Verk was one of the absolute worst I've ever seen. It was clear to me that Jordan was running out of bounds.
I was kinda surprised that they overturned Lee's takedown. Nick seemed to have control of the far ankle when McKenna threw in an initially weak a$$ whizzer. He basically just had his hand in his armpit. Didn't think it was enough to overturn a call.

I was kinda surprised that they overturned Lee's takedown. Nick seemed to have control of the far ankle when McKenna threw in an initially weak a$$ whizzer. He basically just had his hand in his armpit. Didn't think it was enough to overturn a call.

For me, it looked like he had the far ankle live, but, on replay, I didn't feel he had it until McKenna had the whizzer. It was close, but, I agreed with the over-turn. Thankfully, it didn't matter in the end!

Reactions: funkisfun12

The stall call against Verk was wrong. When Jordan stood up he started to move forward , Verk recognized that and tried to do front leg trip and Jordan avoided it and their momentum took them out of bounds.
Should have been No Call.
Anyone that watches Penn State knows how much they use front leg trip. Especially Hall and Joseph. I honestly believe if one of our studs did that, it would have not been called.

Hey everyone! Been reading the forum for awhile and finally decided to join after attending the match last night. Great atmosphere! Had general admission tickets, but was happy to be around quite a few psu fans. Some thought..
  • Psu guys are ridiculously loose before the match, it really goes hand and hand with their wrestling style
  • Manville! Guy salutes the flag for the national anthem, then for his warmup he’s completly dialed in, almost looks possessed lol really great competitor.
  • RBY, really cool customer, total confidence in his game, will have to win more matches like that at nationals.
  • Cassar is a big human being- would have loved to see him and Snyder on the mat last night. I think it could be a match.
  • Clearly nothing can be said about Cenzo, hall, Nolf and bo that hasn’t already been stated. But I think Nolf might have caught wind of Hayes rarely getting bonused, and with team points on the line was on a mission. It’s just a bad idea trying to offensive against Bo. Halls scrambling ability is world level. Cenzo controlled the whole match against cambell who is a UNIT.
Happy to be on board!!!

Hey everyone! Been reading the forum for awhile and finally decided to join after attending the match last night. Great atmosphere! Had general admission tickets, but was happy to be around quite a few psu fans. Some thought..
  • Psu guys are ridiculously loose before the match, it really goes hand and hand with their wrestling style
  • Manville! Guy salutes the flag for the national anthem, then for his warmup he’s completly dialed in, almost looks possessed lol really great competitor.
  • RBY, really cool customer, total confidence in his game, will have to win more matches like that at nationals.
  • Cassar is a big human being- would have loved to see him and Snyder on the mat last night. I think it could be a match.
  • Clearly nothing can be said about Cenzo, hall, Nolf and bo that hasn’t already been stated. But I think Nolf might have caught wind of Hayes rarely getting bonused, and with team points on the line was on a mission. It’s just a bad idea trying to offensive against Bo. Halls scrambling ability is world level. Cenzo controlled the whole match against cambell who is a UNIT.
Happy to be on board!!!

Welcome! Great first post.

Happy to be on board!!!

Great post, but No you don’t want to see Cassar vs Snyder, no match

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT