ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Lehigh Match Thread

I agree. I bet he bilked up after surgery and it didn’t make sense for him to descend down to 184. Stay where he is. See if he can compete at 197. That keeps a redshirt for beard and helps spread out the 4 headed monster of Starocci , brooks , beard , Greg k / Big Snacks. Man what an insane bottom 4
Hopefully we get some Lower weights to go with Howard and Barlett

Regarding Rasheed's weight -- I'm wondering whether 184 was a tough cut after some offseason build and played a small part in the decision to pull Brooks's shirt. Regardless, I'm figuring Rasheed will not be as undersized at 197 in 2020 as he was in 2018, and he wasn't too shabby there in 2018.

Reactions: slushhead
Regarding Rasheed's weight -- I'm wondering whether 184 was a tough cut after some offseason build and played a small part in the decision to pull Brooks's shirt. Regardless, I'm figuring Rasheed will not be as undersized at 197 in 2020 as he was in 2018, and he wasn't too shabby there in 2018.
If Rasheed goes 197, he will have a significant quickness advantage, and he's used to wrestling at the weight.

And, let's face it, after Kollin Moore, that weight is very much there for the taking. (And if Shak would stop giving Moore his front leg ...)

Congratulations Mr. Brooks. What a nice start to his PSU Career. It is in the past for me now but there is no better feeling than to see ones child perform well at any sport or endeavor. Congratulations again.

I'll be joining you tomorrow along with 6,500 others and the entire fan base.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Hard to understand what happened to him. He obviously is wrestling with no confidence and just waiting to counter. He is not the same wrestler we all saw through high school and even into last year.

I am surprised there is not more chatter on the board regarding Verk. The kid has loads of talent and based upon resume the and three years in the room, should have been a lock for at least a low AA.

He clearly has not assimilated much of the 'PSU stay on the the attack, strive for bonus' mentality. At this level, keeping matches close, is one's worst enemy, and that is clearly his MO.

I am starting to think he needs a sports psychologist; as physically and historically, all of the tools are there to be a very tough out. Top 4 elite, no, but a solid 80-90%+ winner, definitely.

I hate to say it, but we are starting to see shades of Jimmy Gullibon, whom I was semi-confident would 'break out' starting with his next match, all the way up until his last NCAAs. In the end, Jimmy proved to be somewhat of a performance enigma, not only all of us fans, but to Cael as well.

I remain convinced Verk could (maybe better stated should) provide the team more points potential than Gardner at Nationals. However, Gardner has been fun to watch since last year and his trajevtory is clearly up, up, up. I am getting close to the he point where I get that disappointing feeling when they list Verk rather than Gardner in the lineup. For sure I am looking forward to Sunday when I think it will be Gardner's turn once again. He keeps answering the call and at some point the contrast might stick.

At the end of the day it is comforting to know Cael has got this. From Cael's comments over the past month (especially pre match yesterday) he is giving Verk every chance to prove he is the guy, but with each opportunity, the results have been Jimmy G-like.

Verk we love you bro and I can assure you whatever is holding you back under the big lights is all in your head. Go out there with abandon, throw caution to the wind, and kick some real ASS!

I agree. I bet he bilked up after surgery and it didn’t make sense for him to descend down to 184. Stay where he is. See if he can compete at 197. That keeps a redshirt for beard and helps spread out the 4 headed monster of Starocci , brooks , beard , Greg k / Big Snacks. Man what an insane bottom 4

Not saying he can't go back up, but didn't Rasheed weigh in at 184 at ASU?

I am starting to think he needs a sports psychologist . . . I hate to say it, but we are starting to see shades of Jimmy Gullibon . . . I am getting close to the he point where I get that disappointing feeling when they list Verk rather than Gardner in the lineup . . . he is giving Verk every chance to prove he is the guy, but with each opportunity, the results have been Jimmy G-like . . . I can assure you whatever is holding you back under the big lights is all in your head . . .

You Might Want To Stop Saying That®

Tom , thank you for the PBP. I listen to Jeff then read the forum. Jeff likes to state the takedowns for and against. I remember years back at Bryce Jordan watching the dual with Lehigh and was really disappointed in how Lehigh backed up and was not aggressive at all on their feet.

After reading the PBP, it is apparent that Lehigh once again won the stall calls with an overwhelming amount. :rolleyes:

If Rasheed goes 197, he will have a significant quickness advantage, and he's used to wrestling at the weight.

And, let's face it, after Kollin Moore, that weight is very much there for the taking. (And if Shak would stop giving Moore his front leg ...)

His giving the front leg to just about everyone makes me cringe -- with his injury history and lack of regard for the intended direction of movement in the human knee, a Plan B always needs to be ready in the wings. I'm a big fan, but this is one thing about his wrestling that drives me crazy.

Regarding Verk: see the DT quote in Dunk's signature line ...

David Taylor - “If you have grown up your whole life winning 4-2, you don’t all of the sudden say ‘I’m going to win 10-2 in college.’ It’s a mindset and a lifestyle. If you want to win by 8 points, you have to push outside your comfort zone.”

That's not all that far off for Verk. A lot of his biggest scores in HS were against much younger or much less talented opponents. Against better opponents his age, often similar to now. Never say never, but chances are the zebra isn't changing his stripes.

Now that Berge is back, 149 will get even more interesting when The Legend drops from 157.

I am surprised there is not more chatter on the board regarding Verk. The kid has loads of talent and based upon resume the and three years in the room, should have been a lock for at least a low AA.

He clearly has not assimilated much of the 'PSU stay on the the attack, strive for bonus' mentality. At this level, keeping matches close, is one's worst enemy, and that is clearly his MO.

I am starting to think he needs a sports psychologist; as physically and historically, all of the tools are there to be a very tough out. Top 4 elite, no, but a solid 80-90%+ winner, definitely.

I hate to say it, but we are starting to see shades of Jimmy Gullibon, whom I was semi-confident would 'break out' starting with his next match, all the way up until his last NCAAs. In the end, Jimmy proved to be somewhat of a performance enigma, not only all of us fans, but to Cael as well.

I remain convinced Verk could (maybe better stated should) provide the team more points potential than Gardner at Nationals. However, Gardner has been fun to watch since last year and his trajevtory is clearly up, up, up. I am getting close to the he point where I get that disappointing feeling when they list Verk rather than Gardner in the lineup. For sure I am looking forward to Sunday when I think it will be Gardner's turn once again. He keeps answering the call and at some point the contrast might stick.

At the end of the day it is comforting to know Cael has got this. From Cael's comments over the past month (especially pre match yesterday) he is giving Verk every chance to prove he is the guy, but with each opportunity, the results have been Jimmy G-like.

Verk we love you bro and I can assure you whatever is holding you back under the big lights is all in your head. Go out there with abandon, throw caution to the wind, and kick some real ASS!
Your hands must be rubbed raw with all of the worrying you do. 1/2 ;)

Regarding Verk: see the DT quote in Dunk's signature line ...

David Taylor - “If you have grown up your whole life winning 4-2, you don’t all of the sudden say ‘I’m going to win 10-2 in college.’ It’s a mindset and a lifestyle. If you want to win by 8 points, you have to push outside your comfort zone.”

That's not all that far off for Verk. A lot of his biggest scores in HS were against much younger or much less talented opponents. Against better opponents his age, often similar to now. Never say never, but chances are the zebra isn't changing his stripes.

Now that Berge is back, 149 will get even more interesting when The Legend drops from 157.

I too hope Pipher can make the descent to 149. Not sure we won’t have 3 guys that are roughly equal, but Pipher’s matches are rarely boring, even when he is wrestling up a weight or two, and Gardner has been entertaining, so far.

May the best man go out and grab the starting job, as right now it looks like PSUs 8 scoring wrestlers may have to beat 10 scorers for Iowa. PSU is going to need 2 more National Champions than Iowa to bring home the trophy. Lots of FUN left between now and March!

Gotta throw Joe Lee in there and say that's an insane 5 headed monster, right?

Gulibon was a 4 time state champ with a much higher pedigree.

Kinda agree with most of above comments. I was down at Stabler sitting 6 rows from mat adjacent to coaching staff.
It looked like a lot of guys wrestled afraid to give up points.
RBY waited too long to get going from his feet, should of majored the kid.
Verk and Berge did not want to push offense. Verk is hard to score on but does not have any lower leg game. Berge had one good double. I would think Berge will show more from feet knowing how good of freestyler he is.
Hall had tough match against a good wrestler. He struggled to finish some moves. He was lucky ref didn't see the attempted roll thru. He was decked.
Brooks looked really quick for his size and has great frame. Oddly I saw Casey more animated in coaching a kid during this match than I think I had ever seen before. When Brooks went under, Casey was on his feet giving instructions to get out. I think under might be a weakness for Brooks.
It's a shame that this lineup didn't wrestle at Arizona State.

Don’t know as much as you, but I would think that down is the hardest position for most young stars, since they are seldom there and the rider would tend to be stronger than the young wrestler given more years in college.

Do you think our wrestlers need any motivation for that dual.

And am I wrong in saying that when the coaches set up a dual when Iowa was not on our schedule, we went there and they never reciprocated. Seems we go there quite a bit.
You are correct, they owe us a non-conference visit. We are equal with conference visits and we went there once non-conference which they have yet to reciprocate, despite there being a promise to do it, I believe.

You are correct, they owe us a non-conference visit. We are equal with conference visits and we went there once non-conference which they have yet to reciprocate, despite there being a promise to do it, I believe.
Maybe we can wrestle at Cornell the same year Iowa reciprocates. Then everyone will be even. ;)

Maybe we can wrestle at Cornell the same year Iowa reciprocates. Then everyone will be even. ;)
One non meet is about protecting the record, the other is somewhat personal.
I think Brands would agree to let Cael have every Spencer Lee male offspring without a recruiting challenge before Cael and Rob are going to be positioned to shake hands pre or post dual meet.

One non meet is about protecting the record, the other is somewhat personal.
I think Brands would agree to let Cael have every Spencer Lee male offspring without a recruiting challenge before Cael and Rob are going to be positioned to shake hands pre or post dual meet.
Lol. I made no comment about the reasons, just pointing out that everyone has something.

every male offspring. Hahah. Nicely played.

Reactions: nitlion6
Lol. I made no comment about the reasons, just pointing out that everyone has something.

every male offspring. Hahah. Nicely played.
I am familiar with Cael and Rob, but not about owing a visit, can you enlighten me?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT