ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

Yeah, forgot about the stall on Truax; don't understand that one either. But all the other stall calls were justified.
didn't Beau get one? If he was stalling to not be on the edge, and still trying to present himself, then backing to th edge needs to be an automatic. Simply saying if Beau was stalling, then that should be the bar. Again, going off memory that he was hit once

ken jeong hangover GIF
Great comedic actor. Hard to believe that he was an ophthalmologist, and still is!

Reactions: USPMAN
I could see where it had an effect on Kasak, he was basically told that any type of defense would be considered stalling so he gave up a td in ot. That ref was looking to hit Kasak for some reason then realized how stupid it was not to actually hit him for stalling while he was giving up a td so he spent the rest of the night making up for it. It's especially bad after Ayala spent the entire match on one knee but waiting until there were 30 seconds left to hit him. If it's stalling with 30 seconds left in the 3rd it has to be stalling a minute into the first.
Next time they meet Ayala and Davis meet, Davis should go down on a knee also. So they are just kneeling while facing each other with no one doing anything. Ref has to start calling stalling earlier then. Then the match can start

Re-watching the dual. I honestly didn’t see where people were saying Nagao had the in last night. But now I do, and even Aaron seemed to look up at the ref with a questioning look, he seemed to think he had the pin also.
one of the least talked about officiating inconsistencies is the way different guys call pins. that should be the easiest, most consistent call in the sport.

Iowa radio coverage of the dual. Grumpy Mark Ironside is the best Ironside

Very strange how the play by play guy describes the action. He calls much of the action like he is watching a video of himself wrestling. Here some examples from the Haines-Franek match: "Haines snaps us into a front headlock", "Tries to elevate our leg", "Flattens us back down". Really bizarre listening to it.

Very strange how the play by play guy describes the action. He calls much of the action like he is watching a video of himself wrestling. Here some examples from the Haines-Franek match: "Haines snaps us into a front headlock", "Tries to elevate our leg", "Flattens us back down". Really bizarre listening to it.

Jimmy is really sweet on Elaine. ;)

Hawk fan here! I come in peace. I won't stop over here often, but I want to say I really enjoy how your wrestlers conduct themselves. If you have turds, then I don't see it. I always enjoy listening to their interviews. They are great young men and serve as a reminder there is a lot of good in this world if people just take the time to pay attention.

I love my Hawks, the Brand brothers and the role the program has played in college wrestling being what it is today. I know the Brands brothers are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are who they are. It is great to see people stay true to themselves. Hopefully, we can make it a more competitive rivalry. Competition is beautiful.

As an aside, you have one of the best, if not the best, line-ups in the history of college wrestling. Great to watch history play itself out. It is something all wrestling fans should appreciate regardless of the rivalries.
We are humbled and grateful for your comments fellow wrestling brother in arms.

I don't like the whole idea of stalling on top until it's blatantly obvious. Heck a good gas him from bottom turtle can even generate some of those calls with some thought and feignts of action. I would much rather they just break and restart in 90% of those situations.

PS - our whole friggin team could benefit from some focused Zain or Max, bow and arrow training.

Aaron, Bernie, and Kerk in particular can ride dominantly for 3-4 minutes without coming close to an effective turn. Sometimes it's right there staring them in the face but they just keep trying to trap wrists minute after minute.

Hey we just killed it in Carver, so this is less of a complaint than an observation. I don't like seeing our guys in total control only to have the ref call stalling or a break in the action and reset. The big points come from turns and if you are objective and honest we could improve there.
i thought it was a chicken %&#% call, too. it's tough to turn 184 lb. lump turtled up flat on the mat, but he was trying.

Reactions: Creek Side
Next time they meet Ayala and Davis meet, Davis should go down on a knee also. So they are just kneeling while facing each other with no one doing anything. Ref has to start calling stalling earlier then. Then the match can start
man iowa sure does like to grab the fingers and hold on for dear life after 1 warning these guys should be hit for stalling but all the refs do is talk!

i thought it was a chicken %&#% call, too. it's tough to turn 184 lb. lump turtled up flat on the mat, but he was trying.
I think that was the worst call of the night and there were a lot of bad ones. Truax had been working his ass off to turn Riggins. Pretty much 2 straight minutes of bar and half to legs to claw and then he gets hit for stalling and you can hear the ref tell him he needs to work to score?! What the **** was the ref watching because it wasn’t the match

It was a joke that he didn't hit him sooner. Going to one knee is no different than backing out of bounds, you're stopping your opponent from being able to engage.

Still high on Braedon and think coaches will devise something for attacking Iowa's praying mantis next time. I’m serious. I get the defensive aspect of it, but is part of the kneeling done in prayer that “this unheralded true frosh doesn’t beat my 3rd-year, elite recruit butt in my own house?”

- “125-pound sophomore Drake Ayala opened this dual with a fairly dominant win over Braeden Davis.”

- “149-pound sophomore Caleb Rathjen ignited the crowd with a huge win. He was dominant through the majority of regulation”

- “Iowa was within striking distance with winnable matches left.“

- “if you get one or two of the veterans to come through and have Arnold in this lineup, things could have turned in a different direction for Iowa.”

Their sports writers are as delusional as their fanbase.

Know what the best break from doing online family tax returns is?
Re-watching last night’s sweetest bouts (141, 157, 165).
Beau looks like his freestyle self, Levi found beast mode, and Mitchell, well . . . if KOT/Carr don’t know what’s coming, they better ask.

Reactions: diggerpup and mcpat

- “125-pound sophomore Drake Ayala opened this dual with a fairly dominant win over Braeden Davis.”

- “149-pound sophomore Caleb Rathjen ignited the crowd with a huge win. He was dominant through the majority of regulation”

- “if you get one or two of the veterans to come through and have Arnold in this lineup, things could have turned in a different direction for Iowa.”

LOL what a joke this writer is,if I hit the lotto I would be a millionaire iowa had no chance and tom knew it, by the way PSU has lots of young guys as well and you aren't beating them!

Still high on Braedon and think coaches will devise something for attacking Iowa's praying mantis next time. I’m serious. I get the defensive aspect of it, but is part of the kneeling done in prayer that “this unheralded true frosh doesn’t beat my 3rd-year, elite recruit butt in my own house?”
LOL what do you mean still?he is doing a great job for first yr!

Reactions: HikeNatParks
Carter did look spent last night and it has been commented on that we've never seen that from him before but the more I think about it, I'm almost positive he's had 2 or 3 matches in past where he was gassed in the 3rd. And then we all said that was unusual for him. If I get time I'll try to figure out which matches I'm thinking of. One in particular had him looking gassed but getting a match winning takedown in short time. Hope I'm not misremembering but I'm almost certain I'm not.

Carter did look spent last night and it has been commented on that we've never seen that from him before but the more I think about it, I'm almost positive he's had 2 or 3 matches in past where he was gassed in the 3rd. And then we all said that was unusual for him. If I get time I'll try to figure out which matches I'm thinking of. One in particular had him looking gassed but getting a match winning takedown in short time. Hope I'm not misremembering but I'm almost certain I'm not.
Ok now I remember one. It was against Massa during the PSU/Mich dual. There's a couple others. I know he's been sick but with Carter I think its every year he's not at Peak conditioning until March. More than the others.

This guy can spell, refrain from using caps lock and exclamation points, and put words together in a way that you can appreciate how stupid he is without having to read it twice. Without those subtle differences I would have thought thebird wrote this.

Iowa boards are really not nuts, kind of what we expected. Most think it's time for a coaching change.

Jim Gibbons apparently agrees. Did anyone else catch him say during the broadcast last night that he called Dan Gable before the match to ask him what “his” guys needed to do against Penn State? Did Gibbons just relegate Tom Brands to Rodney Dangerfield status?

Jim Gibbons apparently agrees. Did anyone else catch him say during the broadcast last night that he called Dan Gable before the match to ask him what “his” guys needed to do against Penn State? Did Gibbons just relegate Tom Brands to Rodney Dangerfield status?
I heard that too. Although I took "his guys" to mean the guys he coached that are now Iowa coaches.

I heard that too. Although I took "his guys" to mean the guys he coached that are now Iowa coaches.
I didn't take it that way because Gibbons then proceeded to recount what Gable said the wrestlers need to do.

And did anyone notice this semi-awkward handshake encounter between Casey and Terry (or was it Tom)? Whichever half of TnT it was, he almost seemed a little star struck, no?

Reactions: Ski and diggerpup
What did you guys think of the potentially dangerous call when Levi was driving his head in Franek's side working for a Cradle? Neither head nor leg was bent in an awkward direction. Total BS. Working a guy over is not by definition PD. That was a friggin mercy call if I ever saw one.
he was pulling the knee out, but no more than you typically see in that position. i don’t think he was going to get the cradle, but he was 100% going to score because franek was bailing when the whistle came.

there was also a terrible PD whistle in the 174 match. i think kennedy had a real chance to score there (only because starocci was gassed at that point).

Reactions: zzs006
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT