ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

The whole fricken USA is Gaga over football players. Just go over to the football site and sniff a bit. Other non-football athletes are just as special and work just as hard.
Wrestlers are a breed if their own. Tough dudes.

But it very difficult to do both football and wrestle.. In football you want to gain weight. It is a short burst power game.
The opposite of wrestling.

And top wrestlers train year round. Hard to compete as a part time wrestler.

Reactions: diggerpup
ajpRWL1.jpg

Disappointing.
I think Brands would have had Gabe go (184) if healthy.

Is it too much of a stretch to think that Gabe got caught up in the power lifting craze with AJ in the weight room? Unlikely, but I hope AJ isn't teaching proper form for those dead lifts. That place could become a spinal surgeon's dream.

I thought it was funny. Brands was basically saying “you need to be ready, against a high powered team.” Then he realized he was giving PSU too much credit and then he screams “AND THATs NOT TO PUT THEM ON A PEDESTAL!!” Lol. I wasn’t think that but his mind goes right there.

Reminds me so much of my college football coach

I haven’t seen one PSU post match interview anywhere?? Anyone?
This video is 🔥 via @FloSports App
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/12066842-iowa-coach-tom-brands-we-have-to-be-more-ready

Flo had Cael’s comments and a quick interview with Beau.

Note the difference between the PSU interviews and Tom Brands

Last edited:
Kennedy had Carter's wrist and pushed Carter's hand down onto his arm. Carter's hand touching his arm is not a Technical Violation - Locked Hands.
It was both bizarre and fast on the review. The review showed nothing close to lock. It seemed like they saw Kennedy’s hand on Carters and somehow bought into the lock.

Last edited:
Iowa may be hanging their collective hat on Glazier keeping the NCAA finalist streak intact.
I don’t think Aaron’s going to have any easier time with Hidlay up at 197. There’s something to Rathjen and Glazier looking motivated and focused, no?

I think we can all agree, this ref sucked. Stopping action in the middle of a scramble, calling stalling in the middle of the mat on a wrestler trying not to get taken down.
Both ways, total shit show.
Calling stalling 10 seconds into a ride, top and bottom.
Idiocy.
You also have to have some mercy on the bottom guy. It's not stalling when you can't get the f up from some of these guys when you are on the bottom. It's because they are that freaking good and no one is getting up.
Use some judgement based on the wrestler.
Messenbrink, who's is getting out of that ride? Same with Star, I mean really.
No one in D1
It's not stalling, they can't freaking move.
Keuter, the list goes on.
I don't like the whole idea of stalling on top until it's blatantly obvious. Heck a good gas him from bottom turtle can even generate some of those calls with some thought and feignts of action. I would much rather they just break and restart in 90% of those situations.

PS - our whole friggin team could benefit from some focused Zain or Max, bow and arrow training.

Aaron, Bernie, and Kerk in particular can ride dominantly for 3-4 minutes without coming close to an effective turn. Sometimes it's right there staring them in the face but they just keep trying to trap wrists minute after minute.

Hey we just killed it in Carver, so this is less of a complaint than an observation. I don't like seeing our guys in total control only to have the ref call stalling or a break in the action and reset. The big points come from turns and if you are objective and honest we could improve there.

Reactions: Sett1997
Two consecutive matches that Carter faded a bit, after missing two matches, and never fading before in 3.5 years. To the contrary, being the guy winning big matches against top guys late. Obviously still not 100%, whatever it is.
If it was influenza A, which my son had, it may take weeks. It's going around college campuses. My son was so run down, his lymph nodes blew up. He's now on antibiotics. It's been almost a month.

If there were no gambling suspensions:

- Franek doesn’t transfer in and Haines wins by TF over Siebrecht

- PK maybe beats Brands out for the spot at 174 anyway, and if not it’s a MAJ by Starocci regardless

- Truax beats Assad by DEC

- Kerkvliet beats Cassioppi by DEC

And it would have been 28-6 instead of 29-6

I think Brands would have had Gabe go (184) if healthy.

Is it too much of a stretch to think that Gabe got caught up in the power lifting craze with AJ in the weight room? Unlikely, but I hope AJ isn't teaching proper form for those dead lifts. That place could become a spinal surgeon's dream.
why would he use Gabe iowa was getting crushed!!

Rewatching Messenbrink match this morning. At the end of 2nd while they getting ready for 3rd, Messenbrink seems to be tapping Caliendo on the arm almost as if he was telling him something. Anyone else notice this? Wonder what that was about.
The plug fell out of Caliendo's nose and MM was trying to point it out to him on center mat. When the ref signaled blood time for Caliendo, MM instead pointed it out to the ref / trainer to get cleaned up

Cassar’s B1G moment set to air again at 4:30am tomorrow for those like me whose DVR’s didn’t pick it up last night due to the late wrestling.

Flo had Cael’s comments and a quick interview with Beau.

Note the difference between the PSU interviews and Tom Brands

Then imagine having a kid that has the option to go to either and picking Brands.

- PK maybe beats Brands out for the spot at 174 anyway, and if not it’s a MAJ by Starocci regardless

do you not remember the 174 match from last year?

Wrestlers are a breed if their own. Tough dudes.

But it very difficult to do both football and wrestle.. In football you want to gain weight. It is a short burst power game.
The opposite of wrestling.

And top wrestlers train year round. Hard to compete as a part time wrestler.
Here's what it takes to do both. Commendable but hard to see this being sustainable at a starter level for more than 1 year.

Blood
Rewatching Messenbrink match this morning. At the end of 2nd while they getting ready for 3rd, Messenbrink seems to be tapping Caliendo on the arm almost as if he was telling him something. Anyone else notice this? Wonder what that was about.

If you told me MM goes into 3rd up 10-3 with 1:40 riding time and doesn’t get major, I’d tell you you’re crazy. Credit to Caliendo for wrestling the full 7 minute

Then imagine having a kid that has the option to go to either and picking Brands.
Not only that - checking out the respective RTCs.

One room - watching Taylor, Gilman, Snyder, Dake, Nolf, and visitors like Petrashvili drilling

Other room - Spencer Lee, Desanto, Eierman, Young, Sammy Brooks and tHe BuLl

Reactions: danoftw
lol. If you want to argue for 27-6, I’ll let you have it. But do you think Brands was going to beat out Kennedy? Cause I’m not sure about that.
If the suspensions didn’t happen, I don’t think Caliendo transfers in, either. So Kennedy & Brands wouldn’t be competing for one spot. Kennedy 165, Brands 174.

But to your point, PSU still would have taken 8 of 10 matches.

If the suspensions didn’t happen, I don’t think Caliendo transfers in, either. So Kennedy & Brands wouldn’t be competing for one spot. Kennedy 165, Brands 174.

But to your point, PSU still would have taken 8 of 10 matches.
and mesenbrink majors/techs PK so it mostly evens out.

Reactions: mcpat
Re-watching the dual. I honestly didn’t see where people were saying Nagao had the in last night. But now I do, and even Aaron seemed to look up at the ref with a questioning look, he seemed to think he had the pin also.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Don't expect things to change in Iowa City anytime soon. Inbreeding is rarely a good thing.

Head Coach: Tom Brands (Iowa)

Staff: Terry Brands (Iowa), Dan Dennis (Iowa), Ryan Morningstar (Iowa), Bobby Telford (Iowa), Chad Beatty (Iowa)

HWC/RTC: Spencer Lee (Iowa), Jacob Warner (Iowa), Austin Desanto (Iowa), Pat Lugo (Iowa), Alex Marinelli (Iowa), Jaydin Eierman (Iowa), Kaleb Young (Iowa), Brandon Sorensen (Iowa), Jeremiah Moody (Iowa)

Last edited:
As for Mesenbrink, there is exactly ONE guy who I’d make him an underdog against and that’s KOT. Yes, I’d favor him over Carr slightly. Carr has lost to guys inferior to Mesenbrink and we’ve seen enough of Mesenbrink’s complete domination of top 10 guys to overcome any doubts about being a Freshman or inexperience. If he’s opposite KOT, I’d pick them to meet in the finals.

Going into this season, it was pretty clear that the PSU team was better than everyone else. We got an early glimpse of what to expect at the All Star match. Going into the Iowa dual, we were scoring an average of 25+ points per dual. The Iowa dual is now over and nothing has changed. Any bets on who is going to win this year’s national championship?

Reactions: District four
Going into this season, it was pretty clear that the PSU team was better than everyone else. We got an early glimpse of what to expect at the All Star match. Going into the Iowa dual, we were scoring an average of 25+ points per dual. The Iowa dual is now over and nothing has changed. Any bets on who is going to win this year’s national championship?
I bet PSU wins!

Hawk fan here! I come in peace. I won't stop over here often, but I want to say I really enjoy how your wrestlers conduct themselves. If you have turds, then I don't see it. I always enjoy listening to their interviews. They are great young men and serve as a reminder there is a lot of good in this world if people just take the time to pay attention.

I love my Hawks, the Brand brothers and the role the program has played in college wrestling being what it is today. I know the Brands brothers are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are who they are. It is great to see people stay true to themselves. Hopefully, we can make it a more competitive rivalry. Competition is beautiful.

As an aside, you have one of the best, if not the best, line-ups in the history of college wrestling. Great to watch history play itself out. It is something all wrestling fans should appreciate regardless of the rivalries.

Don't expect things to change in Iowa City anytime soon. Inbreeding is rarely a good thing.

Staff: Terry Brands (Iowa), Dan Dennis (Iowa), Ryan Morningstar (Iowa), Bobby Telford (Iowa), Chad Beatty (Iowa)

HWC/RTC: Spencer Lee (Iowa), Jacob Warner (Iowa), Austin Desanto (Iowa), Pat Lugo (Iowa), Alex Marinelli (Iowa), Jardin Eierman (Iowa), Kaleb Young (Iowa), Brandon Sorensen (Iowa), Jeremiah Moody (Iowa)

Add 2 points to PSU’s total for the missed pin of Schriever. 😀

Hawk fan here! I come in peace. I won't stop over here often, but I want to say I really enjoy how your wrestlers conduct themselves. If you have turds, then I don't see it. I always enjoy listening to their interviews. They are great young men and serve as a reminder there is a lot of good in this world if people just take the time to pay attention.

I love my Hawks, the Brand brothers and the role the program has played in college wrestling being what it is today. I know the Brands brothers are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are who they are. It is great to see people stay true to themselves. Hopefully, we can make it a more competitive rivalry. Competition is beautiful.

As an aside, you have one of the best, if not the best, line-ups in the history of college wrestling. Great to watch history play itself out. It is something all wrestling fans should appreciate regardless of the rivalries.
Dude 😊

HWC/RTC: Spencer Lee (Iowa), Jacob Warner (Iowa), Austin Desanto (Iowa), Pat Lugo (Iowa), Alex Marinelli (Iowa), Jardin Eierman (Iowa), Kaleb Young (Iowa), Brandon Sorensen (Iowa), Jeremiah Moody (Iowa)

Just so everyone stays healthy, and as we all can see Cstar is not healthy at the moment.

why would he use Gabe iowa was getting crushed!!

I can see it. Maybe they would have wanted to save a little face or give the fans something, anything. What almost everyone is missing is the very real possibility that Truax would have beaten him and really embarrassed Arnold and the Brands'.

Reactions: horraybeer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT