ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

I completely agree but Davis didn’t do enough either. He just stood in front of him a lot when Ayala dropped to his knee. Still should have been hit for stalling and it definitely could have changed the match but Davis needed to be a bit more aggressive. He didn’t start pushing the pace til way too late
The thing that was frustrating about that match besides Davis losing is Ayala was always hyped for having a high motor and being willing to mix it up. I thought. I'd have expected more of a wild, high-scoring kind of match based on reputation. He seemed to want no part of trying to scramble with Davis after the initial takedown. I guess the Brands Brothers have gotten to him. Seemed more like Ayastalla to me.

Jim Gibbons apparently agrees. Did anyone else catch him say during the broadcast last night that he called Dan Gable before the match to ask him what “his” guys needed to do against Penn State? Did Gibbons just relegate Tom Brands to Rodney Dangerfield status?
I caught that comment also. I'm guessing they're pretty close and speak fairly regularly. Both been in the business a long time.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
This one? (the subsequent commentary between Willie and Corby is entertaining, with Willie calling Corby "full scale Iowa Stan" and asking him if Slumlord Bob's check cleared. 🤣)

That's the one.

Word is that Spencer's mom smashed the refs glasses right before the match started and he was just winging it most of the night.

Why challenge the obvious. I haven't seen Carter gas in 3 1/2 years, excepting the past two matches where it was obvious. There is now doubt he is still recovering. Yes, a 90% Carter is capable of majoring a sound openent. Look out, 100% is about a week away.

Whatever the hell is going around is a nasty bug. A lot of call offs this year.

I went to the PA farm show with the Mrs and we both got a nasty cold a week later and then I lost my sense of taste and smell, which is coming back slowly. Apparently, most colds are corona viruses (like C19) and they also can produce the effect. More in children and the elderly. I'm no kid, so. Today was the first day I could smell my morning coffee in three weeks.

Seeing Starocci gas is like having Lex Luthor enter the arena with Kryptonite hidden in an overcoat.

I'm sure he'll be better Monday night, 100% for Nebraska and I pity the Edinboro kid, unless they put in Bearclaw

LOL your saying ayala did??give me a break!2 periods of on knee stalling
This is probably futile, but try to read along. My comment was in response to a post stating that Davis was aggressive throughout the bout. That just wasn't the case, regardless of what Ayala was or wasn't doing.

Davis needed to do more, but I was in no way defending Ayala.

A
Best part of a 9:00pm dual is that I get to read this thread as if it were my first read of it twice.

Once during the dual and once again the next morning with no memory of it from the night before.
I'm reading it again now @mcpat
I need to refrain from posting at 12:59 AM. 🤣🤣🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺
Actually any time after 11:00

Reactions: mcpat
I caught that comment also. I'm guessing they're pretty close and speak fairly regularly. Both been in the business a long time.

I respect Gibbons' accomplishments as a wrestler and a coach, but as a announcer, he's just not that good. his Iowa roots show way too much and I thought he said something about a move making everybody over 65 happy. It seems like he's caught in past glories.

Bo Jordan thought Cael's practices weren't tough enough.

Maybe he just wasn't very good at the warmup and left early.

that 70s show dodgeball GIF

Question. It may have been posted earlier but I didn’t see it. What was the takedown ratio in last night’s dual. I know PSU got takedowns in every match except at 125, but I have no idea how many.

Question. It may have been posted earlier but I didn’t see it. What was the takedown ratio in last night’s dual. I know PSU got takedowns in every match except at 125, but I have no idea how many.

Off the top of my head I thought I saw 21 to 5 but I’m too lazy to fact check it.

Last edited:

125 1-0 Iowa
133 2-1 PSU
141 4-1 PSU
149 6-4 PSU
157 9-4 PSU
165 12-5 PSU
174 15-5 PSU
184 17-5 PSU
197 18-5 PSU
285 20-5 PSU

The refs job is to keep the match going. The ref never attempted to do that with Ayala until the 3rd period. It's very easy to do. Give a warning, then the stall call is next. Hard to blame a guy standing when he's facing a dude with his knee on the ground. The real problem has always been the same in NCAA wrestling. There is zero consistency in the calls. Just have some consistency. At least in freestyle, you better damn well wrestle, or you're on the clock.

Last edited:
Carter, and yes it is an old school move that you don't see much anymore.
I think it’s something you might see a good bit of in our room. Casey loves his old man tricks. We obviously don’t know much at all about how our coaches approach teaching technique—but I get the sense there are no taboos, that the palette they paint with is massive, and the color wheel they use is very sophisticated (to strain a metaphor to its limits).

Last edited:
The refs job is to keep the match going. The ref never attempted to do that with Ayala until the 3rd period. It's very easy to do. Give a warning, then the stall call is next. Hard to blame a guy standing when he's facing a dude with his knee on the ground. The real problem has always been the same in NCAA wrestling. There is zero consistency in the calls. Just have some consistency. At least in freestyle, you better damn well wrestle, or you're on the clock.
Right, how do you get aggressive when your opponent is allowed to wrestle from a knee? Braeden tried early on and gave up a counter takedown so I don't blame him for not taking a bunch of shots. I will be real curious how the coaches approach the next match. For starters, I suspect they will get in the refs ear about it prior to the match beginning.

Reactions: Ski and Grass
Right, how do you get aggressive when your opponent is allowed to wrestle from a knee? Braeden tried early on and gave up a counter takedown so I don't blame him for not taking a bunch of shots. I will be real curious how the coaches approach the next match. For starters, I suspect they will get in the refs ear about it prior to the match beginning.
I’m thinking they develop a plan as to how to take advantage and takedown a wrestler on his knee.

After a ten page thread on GIA last year about how classless PSU fans were for booing Iowa at introductions, I can’t believe how easily we’re letting go the reported (by Byers) booing of PSU wrestlers at introductions by Iowa fans on Friday.

Reactions: Ski
After a ten page thread on GIA last year about how classless PSU fans were for booing Iowa at introductions, I can’t believe how easily we’re letting go the reported (by Byers) booing of PSU wrestlers at introductions by Iowa fans on Friday.
We don’t have any reason to complain, and they have every reason they can imagine.

I rewatched the Ayala/Davis match. Ayala dropped to one knee 30 times in the match. These weren't in response to an attack as the announcers said, every time they squared up, Ayala dropped to his one knee defense.

He did not take a single shot the last two periods. Yet, he only got a single stall call in the last 25 seconds from a referee that handed out stall calls like candy to wrestlers majoring their opponents.
I would predict that in the future rules will not allow dropping to one knee IF the NCAA is truly interested in more action, which might be an oxymoron.

I’m a wrestling newbie and mostly lurk on the board trying to learn and see what others are thinking. I’ve heard people make comments in the past about the Iowa coach and I figured that was just your normal rival type stuff.

I saw the video of his post match presser last night and my first thought is there’s just something wrong with him. He reminded me of Narduzzi in some ways in his paranoia over PSU with the pedestal comment but it was more than that. I can’t pin it down but he’s just a really odd duck. Does that hurt them on the recruiting trail?
Brands is just a different type of a guy. I think his recruits understand his persona. For most part he doesn't have many kids transfer out. He's certainly a Type A personality. Cael is a Type B personality.
Please note I tried again to post a screenshot of the difference of type A and B personality.
Can't figure out how to do it. 😟

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I’m thinking they develop a plan as to how to take advantage and takedown a wrestler on his knee.
This is the answer. The problem is that Braeden seemed a little befuddled as to what to do about it in the moment. I’m sure there’s an answer. They just need to figure it out.

Levi was the most impressive for me tonight but I think Bartlett had the biggest win. Woods handled him last year and even with last week I felt this was probably a pick em. Bartlett set the pace with his first period Td and then made a statement with his td in the 3rd. Really solidified himself at number 1 with his performance
I dont play KYPSW but I've been confidently picking BoBar in this rematch since the preseason, despite repeatably being told by many supposedly knowledgable posters here that Woods was the better man.

The next meeting will be worse.

- “125-pound sophomore Drake Ayala opened this dual with a fairly dominant win over Braeden Davis.”

- “149-pound sophomore Caleb Rathjen ignited the crowd with a huge win. He was dominant through the majority of regulation”

- “Iowa was within striking distance with winnable matches left.“

- “if you get one or two of the veterans to come through and have Arnold in this lineup, things could have turned in a different direction for Iowa.”

Their sports writers are as delusional as their fanbase.
Ray Liotta Laughing GIF

Brands is just a different type of a guy. I think his recruits understand his persona. For most part he doesn't have many kids transfer out. He's certainly a Type A personality. Cael is a Type B personality.
Please note I tried again to post a screenshot of the difference of type A and B personality.
Can't figure out how to do it. 😟
Transfer out he says.....

We've seen rule changes after wrestlers abuse a certain technique to stall.

The 5 count came after Delgato used the ankle ride to win an NC. I remember Nico dragging him across the mat like a piece of toilet paper stuck to his shoe.

The danger count came after Heil spent much of his championship season wrestling from his back. His match with Jimmy G was a classic.

However, the Anthony Robles effect might make it hard to legislate against wrestling on one knee.

I think TnT were especially proud of this one, but it won’t be long-lived. They hated that RBY challenged ADS to score without that triceps grab, and I think this was their response. After a while RBY didn’t even need to keep the arm back as often. The difference is that TnT/ADS could never adapt at 133, but CCCJ will here at 125. What TnT missed out Friday on was gathering data on how to beat Braeden without the knee and hand down. They basically blew their wad before it mattered.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT