ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - ASU Dual Thread

Note that on the one trip, ZV lands flat on his back. I never wrestled or played football, but I’ve landed like that and it can take a while to get your breath back.......if you get to stop and collect yourself......obviously that never happened.

When I visited the Gaza boarder with my friend in the IDF, we stopped on the way. “Here, is the point” he said. “If rockets fly, if we drive toward the boarder, we will be safe. The rockets go over our heads”. Closing the distance between you and your opponent can be a great strategy. ZV length is a problem. Close that gap and the advantage is diminished. It appeared to this untrained eye, that is exactly what happened last night.

Reactions: Ski
I took it as an homage to Silvio:

14sh9c5.jpg

Would love to hear the backstory on that. Is it a Jersey thing, and Italian Jersey thing, or simply an homage to Silvio? I'm half Italian, but with all due respect (Ricky Bobby style), I think the Jersey Italians are their own breed. Cassar isn't an Italian surname unless a vowel or two got lopped off. Hopefully somebody will ask him.

Yep, I'm half Italian as well and you're right, there's Italian American and there's Jersey Italian, they're just different.

Note that on the one trip, ZV lands flat on his back. I never wrestled or played football, but I’ve landed like that and it can take a while to get your breath back.......if you get to stop and collect yourself......obviously that never happened.

When I visited the Gaza boarder with my friend in the IDF, we stopped on the way. “Here, is the point” he said. “If rockets fly, if we drive toward the boarder, we will be safe. The rockets go over our heads”. Closing the distance between you and your opponent can be a great strategy. ZV length is a problem. Close that gap and the advantage is diminished. It appeared to this untrained eye, that is exactly what happened last night.

I have a friend of a friend that was IDF and after an hour listening to him over drinks it makes you really think.

total appreciation for those in uniform of any color that is protecting people.

I have a friend of a friend that was IDF and after an hour listening to him over drinks it makes you really think.

I lived there for 7 months and left right before the Yom Kippur war broke out in 1973. One of the guys who I knew died in the war.

I know, way off topic, but living there is a totally different experience than what we are used to.

on topic. Maybe I'll put on a Penn State wrestling shirt and drop by the ASU wrestling room after Christmas. On second thought ...

Friend of our family had dual citizenship and moved back to Israel and joined the IDF. Was on his last shift of his last weekend and shot and killed on the Lebanese border. As you said..they protect and sacrifice everything.

I lived there for 7 months and left right before the Yom Kippur war broke out in 1973. One of the guys who I knew died in the war.

I know, way off topic, but living there is a totally different experience than what we are used to.

on topic. Maybe I'll put on a Penn State wrestling shirt and drop by the ASU wrestling room after Christmas. On second thought ...

I had a a much longer post but deleted. Those who know or heard or felt what is being typed about...just know.

we live in the greatest country...ever.

Full stop.

no discussion from this guy.

Friend of our family had dual citizenship and moved back to Israel and joined the IDF. Was on his last shift of his last weekend and shot and killed on the Lebanese border. As you said..they protect and sacrifice everything.
Met a young man there, from Philly. On the Lebanese border. My friend is a fly guy........like Radar O’Reiley, he heard jets....................................then I did. Not nearly enough periods in the sentence above above but you get it. As a non-military guy, it was amazing.

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread, no pun intended.

Only about 18 days until the Scuffle . . . That's an eternity.

RBY vs. Fix. Cenzo vs. Marsteller. Lee vs. Kaid Brock. Berge vs. Verkleeren.
The Finesilvers against all the other teams.

Whoops, getting ahead of things. Best to savor the current victory and hegemony.

Marsteller was in attendance last night; 4 rows down from me in S2U. He was very engaging and nice with those around him. Always rooting for him, but I’ll pick Cenzo by major if they meet.

Same group of guys who said after last year's NCAAs Hall would never beat Valencia again. Same group of wrestling Einsteins who proclaimed after Taylor and Ruth. The site gets credit for being wrestling knowledgeable, I can not remember the last I read something on there that seemed wrestling knowledgeable. Hawkeye wrestling fans big time, but wrestling knowledgeable not so much

Their transition from predicting a lopsided Zahid victory to minutes later discussing the litany of excuses why Mark won was pure comedy gold.

Season ticket holder in S2U, behind PSU bench and warm-up area.... every season I see a few noteworthy things that makes me truly appreciate Cael as our coach. Last year, I saw some appropriate ‘conversation’ with the ref after one of the overboard head-slap bouts that Zain endured. Last night, at the end of intermission before Cenzo, Cael had a lengthy chat with Berge. In my view, Berge was visibly frustrated about something and Coach Cael was calmly offering his take on things. It ended with Berge ending the exchange feeling better, if that makes sense. It’s amazing how non-verbal communcation is easy to read from afar.

When Cassar pinned his opponent and struted and smirked he looked like Silvio from the Sapranos
nVq5LyyvX19ha2DFA

I tried to post a photo of Stevie Van Zandt playing Silvio in the Sapranos but couldn't figure out how to do it. Maybe someone could post Cassar when he won and a shot of Silvio. Must be a New Jersey thing.

Marsteller was in attendance last night; 4 rows down from me in S2U. He was very engaging and nice with those around him. Always rooting for him, but I’ll pick Cenzo by major if they meet.
Interesting. Yes, Lock Haven is nearby. Marsteller seems to have made something of his second (or perhaps third or fourth) chance. Maybe "Chance" is finally embracing and fully embodying his own name. As the Latin expression puts it, Nomen est omen (the name is a sign/omen).

Reactions: Locolion
When Cassar pinned his opponent and struted and smirked he looked like Silvio from the Sapranos
nVq5LyyvX19ha2DFA

I tried to post a photo of Stevie Van Zandt playing Silvio in the Sapranos but couldn't figure out how to do it. Maybe someone could post Cassar when he won and a shot of Silvio. Must be a New Jersey thing.

Cassar also likes to turn his headgear sideways after the match a la Adam Coon. There seems to be a healthy contingent of folks who are not too keen on the aesthetics of that move.

Cassar also likes to turn his headgear sideways after the match a la Adam Coon. There seems to be a healthy contingent of folks who are not too keen on the aesthetics of that move.

The act of spinning the head gear 90° post match has been going on for years If I remember right Lincoln M of Hawkeye fame used to do it back in the day

Last edited:
Interesting. Yes, Lock Haven is nearby. Marsteller seems to have made something of his second (or perhaps third or fourth) chance. Maybe "Chance" is finally embracing and fully embodying his own name. As the Latin expression puts it, Nomen est omen (the name is a sign/omen).
Spoke with an LHU benefactor the other night. She said Chance is expecting his 2nd baby and by all accounts, he is a good Daddy, well-respected by his teammates, and appears to have his s*it together. She didn't say s*hit, though, she's much more polished than that.

Keep the headgear on and strapped until your arm is raised or it might just cost you a team point. Bo knows.

Spoke with an LHU benefactor the other night. She said Chance is expecting his 2nd baby and by all accounts, he is a good Daddy, well-respected by his teammates, and appears to have his s*it together. She didn't say s*hit, though, she's much more polished than that.

One of my guys stays in pretty constant contact with Chance and Im told he is not the same guy now that arrived in LHU. He has turned it around and I think when his wrestling days are over he is going to make a great coach. Due his past he will probably have a long journey to a major HC job but some small school will certainly get a gem out of the gates.

When he was in HS he was a defacto coach and I think he embraced it. So happy for him and his growing family.

Agree with all this. And I had the same question -- when (if ever) was the last time you've seen a reigning national champion unable to get out from bottom for an entire period (or more)!?
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but Taylor vs Dake -- but now that I think of it, I don't think that was the whole period. He did ride him for a long time.

One of my guys stays in pretty constant contact with Chance and Im told he is not the same guy now that arrived in LHU. He has turned it around and I think when his wrestling days are over he is going to make a great coach. Due his past he will probably have a long journey to a major HC job but some small school will certainly get a gem out of the gates.

When he was in HS he was a defacto coach and I think he embraced it. So happy for him and his growing family.

Kids can do that to a person.:)

Sideline antics aside, I gained a lot of respect for Zeke. He brought his team all the way across the country knowing he was likely to get a ass-whipping.

In return he gets a marquee match in Tempe next year. Hope they get a packed house.

Home and home - give a team a match in their house, they reciprocate. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?;)

Last edited:
Sideline antics aside, I gained a lot of respect for Zeke. He brought his team all the way across the country knowing he was likely to get a ass-whipping.

In return he gets a marquee match in Tempe next year. Hope they get a packed house.

Home and home - give a team a match in their house, they reciprocate. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?;)
Some teams embrace the challenge of competing against the best, others of historic relevance appear to be more comfortable ducking the challenge. Iowa Duckeyes.

I'll start with the admission it is totally unfair to compare anyone let alone a red shirt freshman with a GOAT but, Zain vs Maruca 18-2 TF in the second; Berge 5-4 with some nice spots but far from domination. I just went back and watched both matches.

I want to cut him some slack for what has been said to be a tough cut as well. Like wise his first home due probably caused some Jitters and he might not have been comfortable opening it up. I think like Zain, if Berge put his mind to it he should have been able to take him down and release at will.

I admired every one of Nick Lee's loses last year because he goes balls out whether he is wrestling an unranked kid, Yanni or McKenna, and let's the chips fall where they may. Conservative wrestling will cost you a match here and there even when you control the whole match. I would love to see Berge on the constant attack.

Berge came into the program with credentials to match some of our best. This year is just a learning experience for sure and we won't need his points.

I hope he a Verk continue to develop all year, and maybe make some nose at the Scuffle. That said looking ahead a Verk - Brady 149 - 157 1-2 punch looks not to be the strongest part of our lineup next year.

I am still very high on him and think he will AA this year so no personal insults please - just what do you think about next year at both weights? Are we spoiled (yes), seeing a low AA as a problem (just kidding).

These are great times.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT