ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh radio this AM

Franklin and dooz rubbing shoulders regularly at Heinz and picking each other’s brain. That would be awesome.
I didn’t even think of that angle.

Narduzzi likes to brag of their connections to the Steelers. If Franklin were suddenly the Steelers’ coach? Narduzzi loses his whole approach overnight. Not that it would make a difference with Pitt results but the angst and frustration of Narduzzi and Pitt fans would be hilarious.

As we've learned, being "mentioned" basically means some sports media guy/gal with no facts is talking about it.
is talking about it, because they have nothing else to talk about, and they believe it will get them attention. Like any other lie by a spoiled child looking for attention..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: royboy
I think more pro coaches might transition down to the college level if it weren't for the relentless 365 day recruiting grind that is just as important as what happens in practice and on game days. You really need the right personality and organizational skills to be successful at the college level. The same goes for making the transition from college coach to pros...a whole different set of skills are needed.

Reactions: doctornick
I didn’t even think of that angle.

Narduzzi likes to brag of their connections to the Steelers. If Franklin were suddenly the Steelers’ coach? Narduzzi loses his whole approach overnight. Not that it would make a difference with Pitt results but the angst and frustration of Narduzzi and Pitt fans would be hilarious.
Key to the locker room, the WC, the greens keeper shed like that?

Reactions: psu00
Saying that Tomlin is being mentioned for both USC and LSU jobs.
Yeah, they just did it. Here: You know, that Woodpecker guy on the McAndrew Board looks like the ideal candidate for the USC head coaching position. Headline: Woodpecker in Running for USC Job!

Don't agree. I think a CEO type is exactly what USC needs, that's why they want Franklin. Unless of course you think they want Franklin because of his in game awareness and decisions.

What is this "CEO type" and how does it differ from any other "type" of (college football) coach?

Reactions: step.eng69
According to the sites that came up following a quick google search, Tomlin makes either $6.5 million or $8 million. Both are pretty high targets for USC to top. And especially so since CFB is a year round job unlike the NFL.

I am 50/50.. If I was a betting man, I don't see him leaving, but there are two things that may make him leave and try something else.

1) Big Ben is probably done at years end, he may not want to play around and help groom a rookie or new starter and may think it's time to move on.

2) He has never had a losing season, Steelers will probably have a rough couple years. Not saying they are going to go winless, but no doubt .500 and below is on the table. They still have talent to win, but no playoffs and just missing the Wildcards may be the norm for a bit.

I do think he be a pretty good college coach. He is still pretty young and seems like he be a good sale to kids, plus he is a pretty good coach and had longevity at the top of his profession with a ring and several division titles.

Reactions: bison13
According to the sites that came up following a quick google search, Tomlin makes either $6.5 million or $8 million. Both are pretty high targets for USC to top. And especially so since CFB is a year round job unlike the NFL.
I never got the NFL isn't a year round job thing, Coaches now have the combine, they participate in the draft, and have camps.

I know it's not like College with recruiting, but people act like they are High School Teachers and are off for 6 months, which they aren't, They probably get about a two month break depending now hen their team season is over.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
No way that Tomllin gives up the Steelers to coach Upper St. Clair.......too much pressure.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
I never got the NFL isn't a year round job thing, Coaches now have the combine, they participate in the draft, and have camps.

I know it's not like College with recruiting, but people act like they are High School Teachers and are off for 6 months, which they aren't, They probably get about a two month break depending now hen their team season is over.
It’s year round but not a 365 job like being a college coach.

Franklin and dooz rubbing shoulders regularly at Heinz and picking each other’s brain. That would be awesome.
It's got to be true. Why else would Duzzi be putting down Ferentz and taking CJF's side on the injury questions? He has advance notice and is trying to smooze his way into CJF's good graces.

I just don’t understand how any pro coach of that many years would ever want to be involved with recruiting.

Some guys might prefer working with younger, maybe more "coachable" guys. Herm Edwards at ASU for example. Anyway, would love to see Tomlin go to either, taking Butler in particular with him.

Reactions: odshowtime
What is this "CEO type" and how does it differ from any other "type" of (college football) coach?
In charge, but not regularly calling plays. Think Joe Paterno (consummate CEO, never on a headset) as compared to Steve Spurrier (called all the plays offensively)

Some guys might prefer working with younger, maybe more "coachable" guys. Herm Edwards at ASU for example. Anyway, would love to see Tomlin go to either, taking Butler in particular with him.
Herm is at ASU because he was out of coaching for awhile and was not going to get a NFL HC job.

Reactions: lazydave841
Let us not forget.. He has gone 15 years without a losing record, the next guy can be worst.

No way that Tomllin gives up the Steelers to coach Upper St. Clair.......too much pressure.

I can remember when I managed a fast-food place and a young lady (of Asian decent) said that Upper St. Clair was way to WASPY!

She hated going there. She even advised there was an small undercurrent of students who despised the status-quo.

Last edited:
No way would USC even consider a guy like Tomlin, who is on the record about his Christian beliefs.

Everyone needs to stop worrying about the USC gig. It’s Franklins. Cowturd said this week on his show “James Franklin WANTS the USC job…trust me. You heard it hear”. 🤣

I can’t wait till this is done and CJF hauls in this 2022 class, gets the raises he wants for his staff here at PSU, and FINALLY has his program changing QB.

So just wondering...Franklin seems to be recruiting with more vigor than he ever has, he does seem to be reinvigorated on every level of his job, post pandemic year. As a parent, the first obvious question asked is, "we read this stuff, (they all do), are you going to be there to coach my kid"? Wouldn't that be fraudulent to be disengenuous if he were moving on?

I know that might sound pollyana, but Franklin if nothing more, seems concerned with his connection to parents, and his honest and earnest responsibilitgy to coach their kids. He brought it up with the Iowa injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT