ADVERTISEMENT

Just for kicks….. crazy NFL prediction

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
It could be the end of the Tomlin era in the ‘burg. Team looks terrible, receivers are total jerks, no discipline. Rooney may finally make a move.

And everyone says that Tomlin has such a good rep that he will be hired by someone within a week. So here it is…….he gets hired by New England Patriots to replace Belichick. It’s pretty obvious Wild Bill is done. Wouldn’t that be a hoot to be hired by the team that he usually lost key games to and who the Steeler fans hate?

Wanna double down on crazy? Maybe the Steelers hire Belichick! Nnnaahhh, that would be a step too craazy….even for me!

It could be the end of the Tomlin era in the ‘burg. Team looks terrible, receivers are total jerks, no discipline. Rooney may finally make a move.

And everyone says that Tomlin has such a good rep that he will be hired by someone within a week. So here it is…….he gets hired by New England Patriots to replace Belichick. It’s pretty obvious Wild Bill is done. Wouldn’t that be a hoot to be hired by the team that he usually lost key games to?

Wanna double down on crazy? Maybe the Steelers hire Belichick! Nnnaahhh, that would be a step too craazy….even for me!
That's probably the one team that wouldn't want him. They've seen why many Steelers fans want to move on more than anyone.

Reactions: Ski

And everyone says that Tomlin has such a good rep that he will be hired by someone within a week. So here it is…….he gets hired by New England Patriots to replace Belichick. It’s pretty obvious Wild Bill is done. Wouldn’t that be a hoot to be hired by the team that he usually lost key games to and who the Steeler fans hate?

Sometimes jobs run their course and people benefit from a change of scenery. Andy Reid is a perfect example. He was the winningest coach in the NFL during his time in Philly, but among other things, family issues ground him down to the point where Reid and the Eagles mutually agreed to a separation. Now Reid has the most coaching wins for the Chiefs franchise in addition to the Eagles.

Belichik is hopefully retired this year and the "Patriot Way" which only works if you have Tom Brady holding it together will hopefully die. Tomlin on the other hand, may just need a change to get reinvigorated. Time will tell.

I can understand a true fans frustration, but stop and think about this: the Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 (THREE) head football coaches in the last 55 years. Some teams have that many in one season.

I can understand a true fans frustration, but stop and think about this: the Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 (THREE) head football coaches in the last 55 years. Some teams have that many in one season.
An amazing stat.

And my two favorite teams are Penn State and the Steelers. And both teams have had a combined six coaches (not counting Scrap as an interim temporary coach) that same 55 years.

Reactions: bison13
And there's pros and cons to that
Both Noll and Tomlin stayed longer than they should have. Steelers fans have been fortunate but no playoff wins since 2016 shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Both Noll and Tomlin stayed longer than they should have. Steelers fans have been fortunate but no playoff wins since 2016 shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.
I was curious about this so I did some digging. If you compare Noll's last 16 years to Tomlin's career (minus this year as it is his 17th year), they are not far off from each other:

Noll's last 16 seasons:
  • 138-106 .566 win %
  • 9-6 in playoffs
  • 4 losing seasons
  • 1 .500 season
  • 2-0 in Super Bowls
  • 2-2 in AFC championship games
  • 5 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
  • 1-1 in playoff games his last 5 years

Tomlin: 2007-2022
  • 163-93 .637 win %
  • 8-9 in playoffs
  • 0 losing season
  • 3 .500 seasons
  • 1-1 in Super Bowls
  • 4 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
  • 2-1 in AFC championship games
  • 0-2 in playoff games his last 5 years
Heck, Cowher coached only 15 seasons and he's better than both in a few spots and not far off in a few others
  • .623 win %
  • 12-9 playoff record
  • 3 losing seasons
  • 1 .500 season
  • 1-1 in Super Bowls
  • 8 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
  • 2-4 in AFC championship games
  • 6-2 in playoff games his last 5 years

I think Tomlin has a year remaining so won't the Rooneys keep him another year then just quietly part ways with him next season?

I was curious about this so I did some digging. If you compare Noll's last 16 years to Tomlin's career (minus this year as it is his 17th year), they are not far off from each other:

Noll's last 16 seasons:
  • 138-106 .566 win %
  • 9-6 in playoffs
  • 4 losing seasons
  • 1 .500 season
  • 2-0 in Super Bowls
  • 2-2 in AFC championship games
  • 5 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
  • 1-1 in playoff games his last 5 years

Tomlin: 2007-2022
  • 163-93 .637 win %
  • 8-9 in playoffs
  • 0 losing season
  • 3 .500 seasons
  • 1-1 in Super Bowls
  • 4 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
  • 2-1 in AFC championship games
  • 0-2 in playoff games his last 5 years
Heck, Cowher coached only 15 seasons and he's better than both in a few spots and not far off in a few others
  • .623 win %
  • 12-9 playoff record
  • 3 losing seasons
  • 1 .500 season
  • 1-1 in Super Bowls
  • 8 seasons with at least 1 playoff win
  • 2-4 in AFC championship games
  • 6-2 in playoff games his last 5 years
It's the zero playoff wins since 2016 with Tomlin that's the biggest issue. Plus he had a future first ballot HOF QB for much of his career. Noll faded after losing Terry. Cowher was generally solid even with guys like Maddox Graham Stewart O'Donnell etc.

I think Tomlin has a year remaining so won't the Rooneys keep him another year then just quietly part ways with him next season?

Rooneys have always extended him when he's had a year remaining so to not do so basically says, this is your last year. Neither side will want that. From Rooneys and organization point of view, if Tomlin hasnt lost the locker room yet, being a lame duck coach will certainly do that. From Tomlin's perspective, other than a guaranteed paycheck for another year, what reason would he have coach, knowing he will be let go after the year? I guess they could use it as motivation.

Part of me would like them to do it this way since this is how they have treated every coordinator under Tomlin except for Canada. Tomlin should get the same treatment.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Rooneys have always extended him when he's had a year remaining so to not do so basically says, this is your last year. Neither side will want that. From Rooneys and organization point of view, if Tomlin hasnt lost the locker room yet, being a lame duck coach will certainly do that. From Tomlin's perspective, other than a guaranteed paycheck for another year, what reason would he have coach, knowing he will be let go after the year? I guess they could use it as motivation.

Part of me would like them to do it this way since this is how they have treated every coordinator under Tomlin except for Canada. Tomlin should get the same treatment.
He already lost the team. Absolutely no discipline. If I were on that team I would beat the hell outta both Johnson and Pickens.

This is on the Rooneys for allowing this to go on for several years. Should have called Tomlin into the office and tell him get control or he will be gone and the Steelers will get someone who will.

I'm a Jets fan, how far do YOU think MY tolerance should go?!

Part of me would like them to do it this way since this is how they have treated every coordinator under Tomlin except for Canada. Tomlin should get the same treatment
I would like him to be canned at the end of the season but I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT