ADVERTISEMENT

PITT Beat Reporters in Melt-Down Mode Over PENN STATE Ending the Series...

<snipped John Steigerwald quote from article>
Pitt fans have shown themselves not to be stupid enough to show up in big numbers for games against Ohio U. and Old Dominion but if their program were in the same position as Penn State’s, they’d stay away but also think that scheduling guaranteed wins was a good idea. <snip>

Pitt's 2017 Home attendance figures:
Youngstown State -- 40,012
Oklahoma State -- 38,952
Rice -- 33,051
NC State -- 41,124
Virginia -- 30,889
NC -- 34,056
Miami -- 35,978

So John, how do you explain that the Youngstown State game garnered a bigger attendance than 3 games against conference foes and 1 game against a Power 5 non-con opponent that at the time was in the top 10 being talked about to win the MNC? Did they close up the entire city of Youngstown to come to the Mustard Palace? You might want to try a different line of rhetoric.

Not that PSU hasn't played some games with attendance numbers during sanction years, but those pitt numbers are all doubled.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
Pitt fans have shown themselves not to be stupid enough to show up in big numbers for games against Ohio U. and Old Dominion but if their program were in the same position as Penn State’s, they’d stay away but also think that scheduling guaranteed wins was a good idea. <snip>

Oklahoma State -- 38,952
Rice -- 33,051
NC State -- 41,124
Virginia -- 30,889
NC -- 34,056
Miami -- 35,978

So John, how do you explain that the Youngstown State game garnered a bigger attendance than 3 games against conference foes and 1 game against a Power 5 non-con opponent that at the time was in the top 10 being talked about to win the MNC? Did they close up the entire city of Youngstown to come to the Mustard Palace? You might want to try a different line of rhetoric.

Those numbers are definitely inflated. Just a thought, maybe Pitt fans thought they could win the game against Youngstown State and/or do the Penguins travel well? Being Labor Day weekend with the Rib Festival always adds to their sub-mediocre attendance. People can't give Pitt tickets away despite the fact that during a Pitt game Heinz Field is a great place to make yourself comfortable, take a row or two and take a nap.

20170916140255.jpg

Oklahoma State -- 38,952
Rice -- 33,051
NC State -- 41,124
Virginia -- 30,889
NC -- 34,056
Miami -- 35,978

I

Oklahoma State -- 38,952
Rice -- 33,051
NC State -- 41,124
Virginia -- 30,889
NC -- 34,056
Miami -- 35,978

John's first grade teacher still helps him everyday with the spelling of his last name she refuses to help him with anything else. Thus is article make no sense.

Oh, I'm fully aware a lot of those numbers are inflated but what's telling to me is that they inflated the wrong games and JSteigy decides to use that as a crux of his argument (or at least the article he was quoted in decided to use that as their context).

Pitt being shun from the 2020 schedule has really stirred up the Pittiot fan base. Of course a few that work at my place of employment are really agitated. They now comment on how their going to be buying Nevada, St. Jose state gear as they ridicule both programs. They also comment that this approach allows for PSU to lock in guaranteed wins, qualify for bowl games, rankings, etc... and finally accusations that Franklin is recruiting "Thugs." They are delusional.

Maybe #PinnochioPat should have decided not to lie to recruits about CJF and Sandy’s program. How did these yinzers think this was going to end? The Doozie would tell his lies and CJF and Sandy would extend the series anyhoo? I mean the Dooz is pretty dumb, but even I don’t think he’s that dumb.

They're upset because it's back to $6/game for their free tickets to that mausoleum on stubhub.

Maybe #PinnochioPat should have decided not to lie to recruits about CJF and Sandy’s program. How did these yinzers think this was going to end? The Doozie would tell his lies and CJF and Sandy would extend the series anyhoo? I mean the Dooz is pretty dumb, but even I don’t think he’s that dumb.
Narduzzi thought he was going to clean up in PA by negative recruiting, have a couple of decent seasons and then leave for greener pastures. He just didn't realize how bad Pitt sucks and how terrible of a coach and recruiter he is. So, he's exactly where he deserves to be. A whiny bitch coach in charge of a whiny bitch program.

Dear Pitt fans..... of the three ooc games this year, Akron>Georgia State>Pitt.

Stop acting like you are even on the level of PSU’s games with Auburn, Tech, WVU, Buffalo, App State, etc.

If you want to be on future schedules then get better.

Pitt being shun from the 2020 schedule has really stirred up the Pittiot fan base. Of course a few that work at my place of employment are really agitated. They now comment on how their going to be buying Nevada, St. Jose state gear as they ridicule both programs. They also comment that this approach allows for PSU to lock in guaranteed wins, qualify for bowl games, rankings, etc... and finally accusations that Franklin is recruiting "Thugs." They are delusional.
God bless you having to deal with those mental cases.

Reactions: Pa_catamount
Maybe PSU would go to Pittsburgh if the guarantee makes up for losing a home game. Maybe seven million would do it.

Maybe PSU would go to Pittsburgh if the guarantee makes up for losing a home game. Maybe seven million would do it.

Interesting thought. I wonder what was in the proposal that Lyke sent to Barbour last year. Guess we'll never know.

We wanted to form a conference with them before we joined the BiG. We would have played meaningful games every year. It didn't work out. My understanding is that it was their choice. I'd like to see them play 2 or 4 times a decade, but there isn't enough OOC games to have them every year. I'd like to see other teams, too.

Those aren’t attendance numbers inside the stadium, those are totals with people in the parking lots too.

Reactions: gslachta
Those aren’t attendance numbers inside the stadium, those are totals with people in the parking lots too.

... and the fans who get caught in the crowded museums and operas, who can't fight their way out in time to get to the stadium.

Too dreadful, eh what old bean?

Dear Pitt fans..... of the three ooc games this year, Akron>Georgia State>Pitt.

Stop acting like you are even on the level of PSU’s games with Auburn, Tech, WVU, Buffalo, App State, etc.

If you want to be on future schedules then get better.

When you're the only team out of those 3 that DIDN'T make a bowl game, then you don't deserve to be in the rotation of power 5 non-con future opponents.

(and I'm someone who grew up on the Pitt-Penn State rivalry in the 80s...but f em now)

Oklahoma State -- 38,952
Rice -- 33,051
NC State -- 41,124
Virginia -- 30,889
NC -- 34,056
Miami -- 35,978

Another way to express this is "Youngstown State travels well".

Pitt relies heavily on Basketball revenue to help support their sports programs. Football attendance is no help. I read that their hoops numbers at the Peterson Event Center were averaging in the 4000's which is a quarter where they had been. Not good for an already struggling department.

Winning for the benefit of “some stupid polls”.

The argument of a five year old when he can’t have candy. “Well, I didn’t want that stupid candy anyway”.

The polls are pretty stupid when you aren’t in them.

We actually could play putt every year on a 5-1 or 7-1 home away if Pitt wants.

We wanted to form a conference with them before we joined the BiG. We would have played meaningful games every year. It didn't work out. My understanding is that it was their choice. I'd like to see them play 2 or 4 times a decade, but there isn't enough OOC games to have them every year. I'd like to see other teams, too.

Yeah.. Joe had the foresight and understanding where college sports was headed so he wanted to form an all sports eastern conference. Pitt and some others couldn't give up Big East basketball so they refused and Penn State did what they had to do and joined the Big Ten. So Pitt chose basketball rather than playing Penn State in football. Makes sense since they are a basketball school.. clearly a good choice for them.

Narduzzi thought he was going to clean up in PA by negative recruiting, have a couple of decent seasons and then leave for greener pastures. He just didn't realize how bad Pitt sucks and how terrible of a coach and recruiter he is. So, he's exactly where he deserves to be. A whiny bitch coach in charge of a whiny bitch program.

Plus he knew.

Yeah.. Joe had the foresight and understanding where college sports was headed so he wanted to form an all sports eastern conference. Pitt and some others couldn't give up Big East basketball so they refused and Penn State did what they had to do and joined the Big Ten. So Pitt chose basketball rather than playing Penn State in football. Makes sense since they are a basketball school.. clearly a good choice for them.

It is funny how Pitt fans and Pittsburgh media just rewrite or ignore history. PSU wanted an all sports eastern league. Pitt decided to turn their back on that idea and go all in on big east basketball. That failed and now they just expect PSU to change what they are doing to accommodate Pitt.

Pitt had the chance to be in the same league and play every year. They rejected it and now they are upset because PSU isnt giving away a home game and millions of $$$ every other year just for Pitt.....:rolleyes:

Yeah.. Joe had the foresight and understanding where college sports was headed so he wanted to form an all sports eastern conference. Pitt and some others couldn't give up Big East basketball so they refused and Penn State did what they had to do and joined the Big Ten. So Pitt chose basketball rather than playing Penn State in football.

We wanted to form a conference with them before we joined the BiG. We would have played meaningful games every year. It didn't work out. My understanding is that it was their choice.

Not quite you guys. . Close but like the professor in back to school you left s bunch of stuff out and the timeline is off as well regarding the team in the burg

The thought that Penn State would join an existing conference did not occur to them. I would bet that it didn't occur to 99% of anyone. College sports was so stagnant that the thought of conference expansion was not part of any discussion... that we new of. Pitt and Syracuse thought they would have the Penn State football gravy train forever.

Oops.

Reactions: Ski and psu00
It is funny how Pitt fans and Pittsburgh media just rewrite or ignore history. PSU wanted an all sports eastern league. Pitt decided to turn their back on that idea and go all in on big east basketball. That failed and now they just expect PSU to change what they are doing to accommodate Pitt.

Pitt had the chance to be in the same league and play every year. They rejected it and now they are upset because PSU isnt giving away a home game and millions of $$$ every other year just for Pitt.....:rolleyes:

Not to mention that PSU offered multiple long term deals that allowed the series to continue and also fit with Penn State's scheduling needs.

The truth is they don't actually want to play, they just want to pretend that they want to play. They know they ended the series. They know that PSU has won 8 of the last 10. They know that PSU should have won in 2016, and they got extremely lucky.

Reactions: PSU621 and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT