ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin called out by Giger

Many at the game, me included, were asking that question. It's a fair topic in that fans invest thousands to attend hoping to see the team play, not scrimmage.
It is and I do think fans were mislead but because of how Franklin wants to sell the program.

Reactions: Ski
Every fan's favorite Penn State beat writer - Cory Giger -is taking Franklin to task. He said Franklin was very misleading to the fans about which players were opting out for the bowl.

I don’t think he was trying to deceive the fans, he was trying to keep the information from Old Miss.

Giger... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hard to imagine anything more moronic than this. Did it ever occur to this mental midget that Franklin was trying to persuade players to not opt out almost up until game time? He then appears to advocate for a requirement that there be a deadline to publicly announce opt outs. What’s next Giger a rule that Franklin has to tell the other team what play they will run before hand? Unbelievable.

Every fan's favorite Penn State beat writer - Cory Giger -is taking Franklin to task. He said Franklin was very misleading to the fans about which players were opting out for the bowl.

I'm so sick and tired of being told fans have to eat shit and players can do whatever the hell they want and it's fine. Without fans in the seats or watching this shit on TV - all that money dries up.
And when does the opting out start to bleed into more and more games. Hell, if you're out of the conference race by the last game - why play in the last game. And if you're out of it by two games why play in the last two games and on and on.
This is garbage and it's entitlement. These schools want more and more and more and so do these so-called student athletes and then they stick their finger in your eye and tell you that's my right.
If these ass hats don't want to play in the games cancel the game. And Franklin needs to stop the secretive nonsense and be honest for once. Stop telling us how these guys appreciate the fans. These modern athletes don't appreciate anything.

Franklin's was very misleading in whether his team was going to play at all in the bowl game

Franklin being "called out" by Cory is like General McArthur being called out by Gomer Pyle.

1*an9lEck_zP5fwK31_FGqiA.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: bytir
Hard to imagine anything more moronic than this. Did it ever occur to this mental midget that Franklin was trying to persuade players to not opt out almost up until game time? He then appears to advocate for a requirement that there be a deadline to publicly announce opt outs. What’s next Giger a rule that Franklin has to tell the other team what play they will run before hand? Unbelievable.
"Just drop back and chuck it deep..."

If Giger wants to make his career being controversial and attacking everything Penn State...essentially clickbait...then he has to own up when asking ridiculous questions in the media room as well...a 20 + year ? beat reporter with a degree in Journalism from University Arkansas...where have you gone Edward R Murrow ? Journalism...is now a popularity sport...

Reactions: Yanks49
PSUPride1 said, "And when does the opting out start to bleed into more and more games. Hell, if you're out of the conference race by the last game - why play in the last game. And if you're out of it by two games why play in the last two games and on and on."

I remember when Micah Parsons decided to "opt out" in the 2020 covid year.

This might be the worst response I've seen in here in weeks
First off, Franklin shouldn't be trying to convince them to play--if he was then no kid should come here because he's putting the team over the player
Second, Franklin was absolutely misleading the fan base for multiple reasons. It was nothing to do with Ole Miss and them knowing who would play.
It's a bowl game in 2024--stop with the nonsense.

What needs to be emphasized is not 'Was Franklin misleading', instead the problem lies with a team culture that caters to the individual, rather than the team. Franklin is a player's coach. That's good in many respects and the players love that about him. However, the players have little commitment to the team. If they want to forego their eligibility to go to the NFL, that's okay with me. But to opt out of playing in the bowl game is narcissistic and shows how little commitment they have to the team. The NCAA needs to make the bowls exhibitions that don't count on the permanent record or the players need to show up. Stupid losses like we had with Ole Miss reflects badly upon the program, the players who did play, and negatively impacts future recruiting.

It‘s possible that at the time of his statement he understood/felt that those players would likely play, at least a limited amount, during the game. — At no time is it required that a football coach divulge any “real time” communication to a journalist regarding a players intent….. especially if they are all unsure ( excellent example of too many moving parts in a limited time). — I’m pissed they didn’t play, but the onus is on the suddenly ”reclassified “ professional player to alert the fans that they are going to show solidarity and “ take the day off” while having their picture taken in uniform on the sideline. —If the journalist knows unequivocally, that Franklin was aware of the mass opt outs, he can address the the press statements…. But I’m reasonably certain that this journalist has no real knowledge of real time events unfolding. — More likely the petulant child got his panties in a wad, and decided to lash out and create/ speculate on news.
— This whole sideshow is a direct function of the current devolving state of college football.. JMO

What needs to be emphasized is not 'Was Franklin misleading', instead the problem lies with a team culture that caters to the individual, rather than the team. Franklin is a player's coach. That's good in many respects and the players love that about him. However, the players have little commitment to the team. If they want to forego their eligibility to go to the NFL, that's okay with me. But to opt out of playing in the bowl game is narcissistic and shows how little commitment they have to the team. The NCAA needs to make the bowls exhibitions that don't count on the permanent record or the players need to show up. Stupid losses like we had with Ole Miss reflects badly upon the program, the players who did play, and negatively impacts future recruiting.
The opt outs for Michigan , Bama , Texas and Washington were next to zero...because all were meaningful games to their "team". during the payoffs..it will be interesting what the % of opt outs will be next year..as we expand to 12 teams versus 4...how many players on the 12 teams opt pout ? And though I hate it..have no issue with players not playing in these other Bowl SCRIMMAGES...thats all they are in to additional practice time for teams eligible..

I don’t think he was trying to deceive the fans, he was trying to keep the information from Old Miss.
and in so doing, deceived the fans. I don't often agree with Giger, but personally, I think Franklin knew well before the game who was playing and who was not..and who was on snap count and who was not..in effect Franklin knew that he was not playing the same team which was 10-2 during the season. This opt out, "pitch count" scenario is the new college football. We all know it now. So fans can make their own decision..spend anywhere from $3-5,000 to go to a bowl game or save the money and stay home. Penn State fans are a loyal group - Peach Bowl was sold out, one of the few sold out bowls other than the final 2 games. The fans are one of the elements that make PSU football what it has become...it's not a good idea to kill the goose laying the golden eggs"

Mississippi came to play that game..we brought the 2024 team.

Reactions: Ski and Yanks49
So you actually believe his intentions were to deceive fans? That actually seems to make less sense to me.
I believe his intention remains to sell fans (especially older fans who make up a large majority of those attending) on us being "different" than everyone else. That we do things a certain way so he avoids topics that make us look like everyone else--which opt outs do.

Olu was never going to play--we knew before the season started if we weren't in the playoff he'd opt out.

Why do you think he'd reasonably try to hide Olu not playing from Ole Miss when they knew he wouldn't? Or at least VERY LIKELY wouldn't. Do you think Ole Miss was hindered at all in what he did?

I believe his intention remains to sell fans (especially older fans who make up a large majority of those attending) on us being "different" than everyone else. That we do things a certain way so he avoids topics that make us look like everyone else--which opt outs do.

Olu was never going to play--we knew before the season started if we weren't in the playoff he'd opt out.

Why do you think he'd reasonably try to hide Olu not playing from Ole Miss when they knew he wouldn't? Or at least VERY LIKELY wouldn't. Do you think Ole Miss was hindered at all in what he did?
I think...Cory and others ...spending way too much time on this subject...

It took the warm-ups and first series for Kiffen to figure out what they were going to do in the game.

Apparently Giger is still butt sore about being called out in that press conference earlier in the season.
He was on to something in that press conference also. The inability to throw deep was symptomatic of a WR room with little talent and few options. IIRC, that press conference was around week 6 or 7.

Reactions: TangSoo

Ginger can't even tie his shoes in the morning. I don't care for Franklin anymore than the next guy but I don't listen to a single word that assclown has to say

Reactions: Nick's Name

If Giger wants to make his career being controversial and attacking everything Penn State...essentially clickbait...then he has to own up when asking ridiculous questions in the media room as well...a 20 + year ? beat reporter with a degree in Journalism from University Arkansas...where have you gone Edward R Murrow ? Journalism...is now a popularity sport...
He was on to something in that press conference also. The inability to throw deep was symptomatic of a WR room with little talent and few options. IIRC, that press conference was around week 6 or 7.
Agreed. Geiger worded it poorly but I think he was asking why not let the receiver make a play. Moorhead used to say he felt they’re not 50/50 balls, they’re 90/10. He trusted his receivers to make a play. What happened to that attitude?

Reactions: pennstatepelly

Agreed. Geiger worded it poorly but I think he was asking why not let the receiver make a play. Moorhead used to say he felt they’re not 50/50 balls, they’re 90/10. He trusted his receivers to make a play. What happened to that attitude?
The receivers that were going up for the ball?

Reactions: bytir
Ginger can't even tie his shoes in the morning. I don't care for Franklin anymore than the next guy but I don't listen to a single word that assclown has to say

True. Geiger has lost all credibility when it comes to Penn State. I haven’t seen anyone mention Charlie Weiss also took a shot at Franklin about his ‘too many moving parts’ excuse after the game.

Reactions: Psubiomed
Giger was speaking the truth on that podcast. He is dead on. Dead on. No excuses to have such a piss poor dumpster fire of an offense. We wasted a championship defense. How in the world could a top 10 team have this weak of a WR group?? No catches and one target midway through the 3rd quarter! The passing game was a "gigantic train wreck". Yes it was. Some on this board don't want to hear that but it is the brutal truth.

Why are people bashing him? He is telling it the way it is. Allar is not very good. Hopefully he gets better but right now he is not that good and certainly a disappointment. There is no way any of us thought in preseason the offense and specifically the passing game would be this pathetically inept.

I really hope once the Blue White game rolls around there can be reason for optimism.

The opt outs for Michigan , Bama , Texas and Washington were next to zero...because all were meaningful games to their "team". during the payoffs..it will be interesting what the % of opt outs will be next year..as we expand to 12 teams versus 4...how many players on the 12 teams opt pout ? And though I hate it..have no issue with players not playing in these other Bowl SCRIMMAGES...thats all they are in to additional practice time for teams eligible..
You watch... one of these days, one of the top players who is NFL bound gets hurt badly, and kids will start opting out of the playoffs too!

Reactions: baircub1!
Well, if the goal is to stop the opt-outs why not put every player on contract that requires them to play in bowl games? Things like; NIL is 15% front end and 85% after the bowl game; how about scholarships become loans that must be paid back if you opt-out? The players seem to want to be employees, so put them under contract. Oh, if a starter jumps in the portal, everything has to be paid back would be a nice clause to include in every contract.

• Love
Franklin being "called out" by Cory is like General McArthur being called out by Gomer Pyle.

1*an9lEck_zP5fwK31_FGqiA.jpeg
Agreed. But it was very disappointing when we sat down in our seats in the stadium only to check our phones and see this player wasn't player, this one was on reduced snap count, etc. Very depressing.

Reactions: Obliviax
You watch... one of these days, one of the top players who is NFL bound gets hurt badly, and kids will start opting out of the playoffs too!
I don't think that's a stretch at all and it won't take an injury for it to happen. If you are on team 8-12, I think you still seriously consider opting out.

Reactions: Waltwam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT