ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin called out by Giger

Lamar Jackson is not playing this weekend vs the Stillers. In the games where the outcome does not matter, you get opt outs. NFL and college. The issue is not money. Especially if they already get NIL but money does not solve it. They are protecting themselves and their future and you can't blame them.

The expanded playoff will solve this and that leaves the lesser tier bowls that will continue on. They get their revenue through TV so having 15,000 show up for the Music City bowl or Citrus Bowl is not a deal breaker. It will be the norm and they will carry on. The ticket prices for those games will start to get super cheap.

First off, Franklin shouldn't be trying to convince them to play--if he was then no kid should come here because he's putting the team over the player
THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE!!!

Only in recent years has college football become the me-first trainwreck it is now.

Reactions: psu00
THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE!!!

Only in recent years has college football become the me-first trainwreck it is now.
No, the players come first. Even under Joe they did.
If you want to believe this is college athletics and not a big business the only things that matters is the players.

Every fan's favorite Penn State beat writer - Cory Giger -is taking Franklin to task. He said Franklin was very misleading to the fans about which players were opting out for the bowl.

CJF doesn’t give a s*it about you or us, collectively known as we the fans. What he does care about is finding every way possible to weasel money out of our bank accounts. The guy is a straight fraud who is loyal only to money and the powers that control said money. The only way anything changes is for the fans to stop participating. Remember CJf is a “CEO” style head coach. That style of coaches primary focus is the business of football, which translates to revenue streams from the fans and donors. Nothing more and nothing less. He will find every way possible to secure the revenue streams.

No, the players come first. Even under Joe they did.
If you want to believe this is college athletics and not a big business the only things that matters is the players.
Surely you don’t believe “the players come first” line in today’s college football? Money comes first…. everything else is secondary and tertiary. Just watch the Dr Pepper fanville commercials where the guy refuses to give up his drink for the star QB. The very next line is “everyone is replaceable”. This business is out of control.

Reactions: Ski
Surely you don’t believe “the players come first” line in today’s college football? Money comes first…. everything else is secondary and tertiary. Just watch the Dr Pepper fanville commercials where the guy refuses to give up his drink for the star QB. The very next line is “everyone is replaceable”. This business is out of control.
Players coming first enables money to come in...if you put "team" first kids won't be coming here.

Players coming first enables money to come in...if you put "team" first kids won't be coming here.
Kids will definitely still come here. The question is, what kind of kid will come here? The “money” kind of kid or a different “profile” of kid?

Kids will definitely still come here. The question is, what kind of kid will come here? The “money” kind of kid or a different “profile” of kid?
To win, you need the "money" kind hence the kids comes first

Well, we have the “money” kind and we aren’t doing much winning (at least where it counts). So, what’s the solution?
We dont have enough of them. You're mistaking opting out of a bowl as being a money kid instead of just having common sense.

We dont have enough of them. You're mistaking opting out of a bowl as being a money kid instead of just having common sense.
I wasn’t mistaking opting out of a bowl game for anything. That wasn’t even part of my thought process when I made the comments I made. Nor was it included in any of my posts within this thread. “Buying” a championship with more “money” kids is not the answer. IMO.

I wasn’t mistaking opting out of a bowl game for anything. That wasn’t even part of my thought process when I made the comments I made. Nor was it included in any of my posts within this thread. “Buying” a championship with more “money” kids is not the answer. IMO.
How is it not the answer? Players can be paid in this era. Are Georgia Bama Michigan Ohio State Washington etc not using NIL?

How is it not the answer? Players can be paid in this era. Are Georgia Bama Michigan Ohio State Washington etc not using NIL?
Obviously, I was speaking for myself. Which, isn’t the popular answer or what society sees as “the correct” answer. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

Obviously, I was speaking for myself. Which, isn’t the popular answer or what society sees as “the correct” answer. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.
Just because you don't like something doesn't make it the correct answer. You aren't winning in this era without committing to NIL.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it the correct answer. You aren't winning in this era without committing to NIL.
I never said it was. That why I added IMO, it’s my opinion. I was clearly making an opinionated statement. Define winning, please. There are many people who will disagree with your generalized word choice, winning.

I never said it was. That why I added IMO, it’s my opinion. I was clearly making an opinionated statement. Define winning, please. There are many people who will disagree with your generalized word choice, winning.
Winning is titles...that's the goal. Believing otherwise doesn't alter anything. It's like those that want to give meaning to bowl games. It's never about anyone's opinion. It's about what is.

The truth is...if you don't start to embrace the changes so far you're only going to be more and more frustrated. The same goes for coaches and programs that don't.

Winning is titles...that's the goal. Believing otherwise doesn't alter anything. It's like those that want to give meaning to bowl games. It's never about anyone's opinion. It's about what is.

The truth is...if you don't start to embrace the changes so far you're only going to be more and more frustrated. The same goes for coaches and programs that don't.
I appreciate your opinion.

As you should
Such a democratic/liberal move. Quoting an old statement that adds no truth to the current conversation.

As I suspected. You’ll do “anything” to attempt to prove you’re correct.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Such a democratic/liberal move. Quoting an old statement that adds no truth to the current conversation.

As I suspected. You’ll do “anything” to attempt to prove you’re correct.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Says the one that pushes DEI

Fans that feel deceived need to get theirs heads out of their a$$es
That’s fine but don’t be surprised if those same fans keep their wallets next to their asses when the school asks them for money. There are two sides to that coin.

Hard to imagine anything more moronic than this. Did it ever occur to this mental midget that Franklin was trying to persuade players to not opt out almost up until game time? He then appears to advocate for a requirement that there be a deadline to publicly announce opt outs. What’s next Giger a rule that Franklin has to tell the other team what play they will run before hand? Unbelievable.

“Fans” lose sight of the fact the guy gets paid to win games. He goes overboard with keeping information to himself, but so does Cale Sanderson. Why is he obligated to give Ole Miss any advantages?

That’s fine but don’t be surprised if those same fans keep their wallets next to their asses when the school asks them for money. There are two sides to that coin.
If I told you how to spend your own money I’d also have my head up my own a$$

Well, if the goal is to stop the opt-outs why not put every player on contract that requires them to play in bowl games? Things like; NIL is 15% front end and 85% after the bowl game; how about scholarships become loans that must be paid back if you opt-out? The players seem to want to be employees, so put them under contract. Oh, if a starter jumps in the portal, everything has to be paid back would be a nice clause to include in every contract.
Unfortunately this would be very hard to manage since the universities technically have nothing to do will NIL. Remember, previously the NCAA prevented being paid for NIL. The courts said that they couldn't restrict that, so essentially it means the NCAA has no say.

As for "pay back" angles, this would just become another negotiation point. Like buying a house without an inspection, an NIL offer without a payback clause would be more attractive to players with options.

Unfortunately this would be very hard to manage since the universities technically have nothing to do will NIL. Remember, previously the NCAA prevented being paid for NIL. The courts said that they couldn't restrict that, so essentially it means the NCAA has no say.

As for "pay back" angles, this would just become another negotiation point. Like buying a house without an inspection, an NIL offer without a payback clause would be more attractive to players with options.
Stop bringing problems and start bringing solutions. There is a solution to every problem you just pointed out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT