ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA 2023 postseason

They are going to smash records the next few years. I like the way these guys compete. All very strong on top. Botero is cool and calm. I thought Brandt had a chance.
Faith Christian is so far 6 for 6 in the medal round.

Team-wide winning the last match of the year, regardless of which medal it's for, is a sign of really good coaching.

Adam Waters - what a man! He gives up the takedown in the 1st, turns around and throws a headlock and decks Garcia in the 1st period.

To answer the Cyrus question: he was a NY kid at one point in his wrestling career, but I’m pretty sure it was back when he was in elementary school. I coached against him at a tournament near Erie and my guy was wrestling 11/12. He was at General McLane at one point, then ended up heading to Prep until this year. Last I knew (it’s been a couple of years), he split his time between Ragin’ Raisins and Bad Karma. He and Steffan Lynch (also a Prep transfer/North East native) wound up at North East this year because supposedly Prep increased their tuition costs.

In regards to the Port Allegheny heavy Carson Neely: the kid has been on fire this year. I’m not certain, but he may be related to Trent Neely of Smethport who was a 3x AA State Qualifier. Smethport doesn’t have a varsity program anymore and they co-op with Port Allegheny
Smethport was tough ln the late 80's & early 90's. Took me some time to figure out what a Hubber was. Statically Smethport is the coldest town in PA.

Adam Waters - what a man! He gives up the takedown in the 1st, turns around and throws a headlock and decks Garcia in the 1st period.
For all we talk about a lot of young kids on here I don’t hear much at all about Waters but he seems at least results wise to be one of the very best. Guys that know more about PA wrestling can you give me a rundown? Dominating like he has especially at an upper weight as a freshman is super rare and very impressive

Reactions: creamery freak
I had to work at the glass block plant in Port Allegany at my first job out of college auditing the plant. When the people told me to go into town, which was Coudersport, and I drove right through it, I knew I was in the middle of nowhere. I'm rooting for this kid.
Hey. I grew up in Coudy. My Dad still lives there. They have a Sheetz and McDonald's now.

For all we talk about a lot of young kids on here I don’t hear much at all about Waters but he seems at least results wise to be one of the very best. Guys that know more about PA wrestling can you give me a rundown? Dominating like he has especially at an upper weight as a freshman is super rare and very impressive
Last year he went 19-0 and won PJWs -- at 187 lb. Fargo 16U double medalist at 182 -- freestyle 3rd, Greco 2nd.

Interesting that he's down 10 lb for his freshman year.

Waters' only loss this year was at Beast of the East, in OT to Stanford commit Abe Wojcikiewicz -- and he avenged that loss in consis.

Yes, massive prospect.

Not wrestling related but worth a mention. Saint John Neumann lost to Lancaster Mennonite 62-61 today in AA boys Bball. SJN's Davion Hill scored 50 points.

Reactions: therod
Justin Owens, who went on to wrestle at Lock Haven, and Jared Ricotta. Not sure if he wrestled after high school.
I wasn't sure if Owen's won one or not. Jared wrestled for Duquesne until they dropped the sport. I can not believe I forgot him. I damn near got into a physical argument at states after he got the pin in the finals. Somebody was crying because of how fast they called that a pin. I answered he had him stacked so phucking high on his neck the people sitting in the top rows could tell he was pinned. I may have said it with a smidgen of attitude.
Helluva nice kid.

That’s what I see as well.
I think A lot of these college 125’s are cutting a bunch of weight. I bet most walk around 20+ lbs heavy during the offseason. When I saw medley from Michigan in the BJC dual this year he looked huge compared to Steen.

Rath vs Manville was a really good match. Td at the end of the 2nd was the difference. Manville was super gracious in defeat. Seems like a great kid

Definitely, one of the things that I like about wrestling—respect for one another.

Rath needs to bump up his scholastic credits and get to college. He is that good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT