ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA 2023 postseason

It puzzles me. In 1974, the first season of two classes, AAA was held at Rec Hall and AA at the State Farm Show Arena. As I recall, both were packed.

If you watch the matches from the Giant Center, it seems pretty empty. Better this morning, but still not full.
Should be held at the BJC, since we have the best high-school wrestling in the country and it's the geographical center of PA. Plus our coaches at PSU could walk there.

Should be held at the BJC, since we have the best high-school wrestling in the country and it's the geographical center of PA. Plus our coaches at PSU could walk there.
We all know PSU will never submit a competitive bid for it.

PSU could've had PA football finals at Beaver Stadium ... and submitted by far the most expensive bid. Shocking.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Just watched Nelson of Ridley lose to Weaver of Altoona in 107 consolations. Weaver made not one forward step in period 3. He went backwards and off the mat at every whistle - the most blatant stalling I can remember seeing, and the ref was allowing it. Stalling was finally called with 5 seconds to go in the bout, when it didn't matter. Final score 5-4.

Watching Williams vs Wagner --- 3rd period, Williams backs off the mat, ref calls stalling the first time he does it. What's the deal with this?
Unbelievable. Williams up by 3 with 15 seconds to go from standing start. Wagner wins by 2. Williams fell asleep on the mat in the state semi-finals. He was taken down to his back without a fight.
Williams doing Willaims things tire then lose!

Reactions: royboy
Hogan is a beast!
Hogan-looped.gif

Anybody have ideas as to why attendance at states has become so light? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Anybody have ideas as to why attendance at states has become so light? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Here in District 11 a lot of schools are now charging $8 bucks to get in to see a dual. Attendance was down for duals. Domino effect???

Rath is definitely someone to keep an eye on. I think more up side than Perry. Desmond would be great but we have an abundance around 125-141 already.
Perry/Rath -- I agree, also think Perry will be very good in his own right, and Rath might be at a bigger college weight.

Desmond -- terrific prospect for sure. None of our lightweights who will still be around, are at his level - except Davis and Gibson (and Howard if he gets another year). We have room to recruit at least 2 of Desmond, Lilledahl, Bassett, and whatever other lightweights.

Desmond, Perry, Rath, Gibson, Bassett, Forrest (plus more) all M2 ... the days of thumb-sucking over Strittmatter seem so quaint.

A guess -- D3 has been less competitive in recent years. So fewer locals attending?

Maybe also some unintended consequence of the Flo contract. Before, only the finals were televised, needed to go in person to watch the rest. Now you're paying to see the rest, why pay extra to attend the finals when you've already paid for the streaming?

Another likely culprit: team duals. Guessing not a lot of people go to both, particularly if traveling, taking time off work, paying for hotels, etc.

Reactions: creamery freak
It will be in the next go round… trust me. Most of those who matter want it in HV. That’s why the HVSEA was created. Out for bid in a year, I believe. HV is now hosting golf, baseball, softball, Men’s VB, and Lacrosse. It’s important that if u are going to own the state you host the finest in the state when the bright lights are on. That’s where recruiting starts.

Smith was up 3-1 in the 3rd, gave up 2 stalling points in the last minute, then got the winning takedown with 15 sec left. Bainey with a late escape for the final score.

Reactions: danoftw
Did not see the finals being the type of match it was. I did think Botero would win if the match stayed close. Just didn't expect a scoreless first and then a mat beatdown.

Scoreless thru 2. Botero rode Harer for the entire 2nd and nearly all of the 3rd. Points on a 3rd period reversal + NF3 later in the period.

Wentzel won on feet. One takedown in the first, 2 more in the 2nd, another in the 3rd.

Hornack with a late 3rd takedown to win. These guys have faced each other a lot and it shows, hopefully they're at different weights next year.

If we want to talk about guys who don't get the attention (at least here) that they should ...

Here are the champs/finalists Rath has beaten just this year:
- PA: 4 wins over state champs -- Perry (2x), Manville, and 2x champ Church (up a weight at 145)
- NJ: 2x champ Vazquez, runner-up Alejandro
- OH: champ Ayoub (2x), runner-up Ginter
- National Preps: 2x champ Rivera, 1x champ/2x runner-up Barnhart
- other: 2x TN champ/Fargo AA/VT commit Mason (2x), WV champ Martin, 2x New England champ Bouyssou

That's an insane hit list for one year. And he's a sophomore.

His one loss this year was 6-5 to Illinois SR Kannon Webster (Fargo JR champ).
I knew he was good but that is an absolutely incredible hit list for a single season. I know he’s young but is there any chatter about where he might end up?

I didn’t realize PA had lower attendance (probably because of small venue) than some other states. Colorado has their state tournament in the same arena that the Nuggets and Avs play in and the finals are pretty much full. I know when I competed the finals had over 15,000

Reactions: nitlion6
It puzzles me. In 1974, the first season of two classes, AAA was held at Rec Hall and AA at the State Farm Show Arena. As I recall, both were packed.

If you watch the matches from the Giant Center, it seems pretty empty. Better this morning, but still not full.
Doesnt Perry have family that works at Penn State?
Might not have to use much to have him here
Mom works there I believe.

Reactions: RandyL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT