ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA 2023 postseason

Plus the rolling half + tight waist.

He embodied Q's famous quote, somebody's getting pinned right now and I hope it isn't me. Crawford didn't throw opponents like Q did, but he uncorked wild stuff from both top and bottom.
Yep he was something to watch. I didn't realize he got hurt at clarion. That sucks

His comment was funny, the best thing about PIAA states was the free parking.

It was down but I didn’t feel it was that bad. Sits were empty but cmon Pa is and hopefully always will be the best wrestling state

Was this the district lll finals at the Milton Hershey school gym. I seem to recall Swags and Hechert jawing at each other. Hechert was strutting around like a rooster. Extremely sad display by both sides.
It was. I've met and liked both guys. One of those cases where the rivalry got the best of them. Still, I'd have preferred to have seen a coach tossed or a point taken (I know, most hate thst rule) than the chicken dance and other post much antics.

State tournament attendance has fallen off since covid and flo streaming. Plus it doesnt help its in hershey attendance would be better at BJC

I was there. That was the best high school match that I have ever seen. For some reason, my recollection is that it happened in the semi-finals because it was a morning session at Liberty HS. Although, that could just be my faulty memory
The semi final was Jon Laudenslager Crawford . He had crawford pinned for 30+sec but the ref was to much of a wuss to call it. Crawford then put Laudenslager on his back in the 3rd and won. Tashner beat Crawford in the finals.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
If we want to talk about guys who don't get the attention (at least here) that they should ...

Here are the champs/finalists Rath has beaten just this year:
- PA: 4 wins over state champs -- Perry (2x), Manville, and 2x champ Church (up a weight at 145)
- NJ: 2x champ Vazquez, runner-up Alejandro
- OH: champ Ayoub (2x), runner-up Ginter
- National Preps: 2x champ Rivera, 1x champ/2x runner-up Barnhart
- other: 2x TN champ/Fargo AA/VT commit Mason (2x), WV champ Martin, 2x New England champ Bouyssou

That's an insane hit list for one year. And he's a sophomore.

His one loss this year was 6-5 to Illinois SR Kannon Webster (Fargo JR champ).
Here is a list of people that Rath did not beat this year.

Cael Sanderson

Copied from a friend

The semi final was Jon Laudenslager Crawford . He had crawford pinned for 30+sec but the ref was to much of a wuss to call it. Crawford then put Laudenslager on his back in the 3rd and won. Tashner beat Crawford in the finals.
+ Crawford ,Tashner, Laudenslager finished 1,2,3 at states.

Sure looked like Church had a fistful of headgear on his first period front headlock, that wasn't called.

Also assuming none of his front headlocks were chokes. From his hand placement/angle, I'm not convinced they were all kosher.

The right wrestler won.
Gaj likes tough wrestling.

Thank you for posting. It was an ugly scene by wrestlers, coaches and fans. I was wondering when security would get involved before it really got out of hand. I do think there was disciplinary action towards the coaching staffs.
What was the punishment? Dress them in red and make them strut around like a rooster? I like how, at the end....he grabs his wrestlers. I am not an expert lip reader but I am pretty sure he said: "Don't act like an a$$hole. That's my job"

Last edited:
What was the punishment? Dress them in red and make them strut around like a rooster? I like how, at the end....he grabs his wrestlers. As a lip reader and I can tell you he said: "Don't act like an a$$hole. That's my job"
This was a late-season dual, I think districts. Cumberland Valley's coach was suspended from state duals.

This was a late-season dual, I think districts. Cumberland Valley's coach was suspended from state duals.
Thanks. What actually happened? Did the eye-poker get DQ for multiple infractions or did the wrestler claim he couldn't continue after the eye poke? As always....I'm confused

Thanks. What actually happened? Did the eye-poker get DQ for multiple infractions or did the wrestler claim he couldn't continue after the eye poke? As always....I'm confused
The wrestler was in the center and ready to resume when the coach and trainer called him over. Miraculously he could not continue and won by DQ.

The coach was celebrating while the trainer was still checking out the wrestler. Safe to conclude the trainer was a prop, and the coach had pre-determined the wrestler would accept the DQ.

The wrestler was in the center and ready to resume when the coach and trainer called him over. Miraculously he could not continue and won by DQ.

The coach was celebrating while the trainer was still checking out the wrestler. Safe to conclude the trainer was a prop, and the coach had pre-determined the wrestler would accept the DQ.
Thanks. Very sad. Horrible coaching decision. Sad to see the wrestler celebrate as well later. Reminds me of the old commercial: "I learned it from you dad"

Just an FYI that hopefully has some legs. I called my local 83rd district assembly rep, Jamie Flick and State Senator Gene Yaw to complain about the PIAA wrestling finals not being shown on PCN.
Jamie was a wrestler and said he was looking for the finals to watch on Saturday too. I told him about Flo and the PIAA acting like a John with our wrestlers for sale. Jamie agreed with me 100%, and I'm hoping others will take up the cause too.

Just an FYI that hopefully has some legs. I called my local 83rd district assembly rep, Jamie Flick and State Senator Gene Yaw to complain about the PIAA wrestling finals not being shown on PCN.
Jamie was a wrestler and said he was looking for the finals to watch on Saturday too. I told him about Flo and the PIAA acting like a John with our wrestlers for sale. Jamie agreed with me 100%, and I'm hoping others will take up the cause too.
I'm sure they'll point to the revenue from the Flo contract, and match availability throughout. Counter-points would be lost in-person revenue at the arena during all sessions, and Flo's inconsistent streaming + difficult membership policies.

I'd love to see PA Power Wrestling bid to do the entire tourney. All rounds streamed on Rokfin, with PCN also showing the finals as before (live + 1 tape-delayed viewing, overnight or next day). PA Power retains archive rights.

But I expect PIAA to hit the easy button and renew Flo. Heels dug in.

Reactions: creamery freak
Sitting here waiting for my plane to board, I am thinking about the next set of PSU superstars coming up through high school. Particularly the PA state championships , Rath seems like the beast you want to build a team around. Either way, I can’t wait to see who Cael brings in. Go Penn State and bless our coaches and support staff. See ya in Tulsa!

Reactions: creamery freak
I'm sure they'll point to the revenue from the Flo contract, and match availability throughout. Counter-points would be lost in-person revenue at the arena during all sessions, and Flo's inconsistent streaming + difficult membership policies.

I'd love to see PA Power Wrestling bid to do the entire tourney. All rounds streamed on Rokfin, with PCN also showing the finals as before (live + 1 tape-delayed viewing, overnight or next day). PA Power retains archive rights.

But I expect PIAA to hit the easy button and renew Flo. Heels dug in.
I don't really have a problem with Flo covering PIAA wrestling because it's great that people can watch all the rounds. I just think the finals should still be shown on PCN as before.

I don't really have a problem with Flo covering PIAA wrestling because it's great that people can watch all the rounds. I just think the finals should still be shown on PCN as before.
Don't disagree, except we all know Flo will never accept a sharing arrangement like that.

Reactions: danoftw
My thoughts exactly. Let the kids showcase their talents to their entire state. Flo could easily profit share in this with PCN and PCN who won't pay can still win.

I don't follow high school like I used to, but is PA down right now? Or am I missing something? Rocco Welsh is good. Rath is solid. But I was pretty underwhelmed by the talent this year. I know about the McCourt kids couldn't compete.

Who am I missing?

I don't follow high school like I used to, but is PA down right now? Or am I missing something? Rocco Welsh is good. Rath is solid. But I was pretty underwhelmed by the talent this year. I know about the McCourt kids couldn't compete.

Who am I missing?
Kasak at NLWC

It did feel like a down year.

OTOH: a lot of 16U AAs:

And more than a few JR AAs:
I guess to put it another way, who are the guys, if any, you all see as potential elite PSU contributors right now?

In theory Kasak could double shirt and get 4 NCAAs if he doesn't grow much (or is wiling to make a tough cut) His Cadet Silver qualifies him for an Olympic Redshirt in 2024. That being said, I'm not sure the kid wants to do that seeing how he's at NLWC already. Very possible Bartlett might just move on after 2024 anyways, he previously mentioned his long term career goal is to be an attorney.

Reactions: hlstone
I guess to put it another way, who are the guys, if any, you all see as potential elite PSU contributors right now?
Among the JR/SRs? Welsh, maybe Lawrence. Maybe Hogan. Both HWT champs could be good but they'll go football. There are some solid guys but not many eye-poppers.

IMO the SR class is the worst of the 4 grades. That skews perceptions.

PA is much stronger in FR/SO. But they're so hard for us amateurs to project. Cenzo did not look like a 2x NCAA champ after his HS SO year. Marsteller and the Altons did. Etc.

Reactions: hlstone and royboy

Who am I missing?
Upperclassmen talent yes. Church, Welsh, Kilkeary weren't guys Cael pursued to my knowledge.

But underclassmen, there are some big time elite prospects emerging. Collin Gaj just dominated Mac Church, Adam Watters pinned Garcia, we all know about Rath. Johnson I think will be an elite heavy if he wrestles. Those are PSU type targets. There are the McCort kids also obviously but I'm still curious how much they emerge. Obviously there are also kids like Duke, Knox in the region in general and obviously Cael can go almost anywhere and enter the convo for elite kids.

Reactions: royboy
Among the JR/SRs? Welsh, maybe Lawrence. Maybe Hogan. Both HWT champs could be good but they'll go football. There are some solid guys but not many eye-poppers.

IMO the SR class is the worst of the 4 grades. That skews perceptions.

PA is much stronger in FR/SO. But they're so hard for us amateurs to project. Cenzo did not look like a 2x NCAA champ after his HS SO year. Marsteller and the Altons did. Etc.
Levi Haines is another prime example of that. He was not remotely on my radar as an elite prospect after his sophomore year.

Reactions: js8793
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT