ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State vs. West Virginia - GAMEDAY THREAD

Agree that he's really good and will get better but to be fair he could easily have had 2 INTs tonight. But he sure has a strong arm and I like the way he calmly steps up in the pocket.
Glass half empty Bdgan arrives on the scene.

Agree that he's really good and will get better but to be fair he could easily have had 2 INTs tonight. But he sure has a strong arm and I like the way he calmly steps up in the pocket.
Couple drops on what could have been big plays (though the one ball was low) so it goes both ways.

Looking at their schedule I don't see anything close to 8 wins. FPI has the losing to Pitt, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Oklahoma State, UCF, Oklahoma and Baylor. They're also an underdog against Cincy last time I looked but it's basically a pick 'em.
Only time will tell, but I don't think they're a terrible team by any means. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 7 or 8 win season for them which is obviously progress for them.

Reactions: Online Persona
You really are full of it.... $hit that is. WVU's primary RB Donaldson was not involved in any of the edge or trick plays you're talking about - he had 81 yards rushing on 18 rushing attempts (4.5 ypc), so-so at best and nothing like the bullshit you're claiming.
And you are a blind idiot. That is not so-so. That is a very productive night especially since there was no threat in passing the entire night. And, notice I said generally ass%ole. Go soak your head. We won.

Every QB could have had INT’s on a lot of different passes, but he didn’t. He moves well and keeps plays alive (like Trace), but he has a stronger arm than Trace.

Only time will tell, but I don't think they're a terrible team by any means. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 7 or 8 win season for them which is obviously progress for them.
I didn't see that at all today. from them. Did you see decision making from their QB that indicates they win 8 games. I didn't. I know our D is great but he's not winning them any games.

I didn't see that at all today. from them. Did you see decision making from their QB that indicates they win 8 games. I didn't. I know our D is great but he's not winning them any games.
But their OLine and RB will win them games.

Duquesne, Pitt and Houston, they may also beat TCU(and Texas Tech isn’t an automatic loss either). Their OLine and running game will keep them in any game they play.
What makes you think they should be favored against Pitt and Houston. TTU would actually be the game I think they're most likely to win.

Their run game isn't good enough to keep them in every game. It's above average not great.

Who do they beat other than Duquesne? Pitt should beat them if we're being unbiased.
I don' t think they have a pass game to stay in games.

Why's that? WVU is 6-4 against ASWP in their last 10 games (3-2 in last 5). Your claim that ASWP "should beat" WVU is utterly without basis.

My god it’s the first game. RELAX. Numbers are fine but the only number that matters is points. The fact is WVU scored 7 points on the first team defense.
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The starting D gave up way to much rushing yardage on first down. That said, they bent but only gave up the one TD. Manny will make adjustments vs. Michigan. However, to be brutally honest, Beamon is not a starting Big Ten caliber DT. He simply isn’t. We need someone else to step up. Ellies? Izzard? Van den Berg? Artis? Someone.

Reactions: scrivener
But their OLine and RB will win them games.
We just completely disagree but we'll have a better idea once they play Pitt. Next week won't tell anything unless they struggle.

You still need better QB play than they're going to get to win 7 or 8.

What makes you think they should be favored against Pitt and Houston. TTU would actually be the game I think they're most likely to win.

Their run game isn't good enough to keep them in every game. It's above average not great.
Because Pitt and Houston aren’t that good. WVU beat Pitt last year other than a fluke play.

James Franklin on Drew Allar ...

"Obviously, something really good to build on, and no turnovers."

Does note that they will grade his one throw in the endzone that KLS had to break up as an interception, but other than that pass he was "extremely poised, did a great job of climbing the pocket, keeping his eyes up."

Notes it was also a positive on how he spread the ball around.

Why's that? WVU is 6-4 against ASWP in their last 10 games (3-2 in last 5). Your claim that ASWP "should beat" WVU is utterly without basis.
Check out FPI. The past doesn't mean anything
Are you one of the people that didn't think Colorado would be good this year?

We just completely disagree but we'll have a better idea once they play Pitt. Next week won't tell anything unless they struggle.

You still need better QB play than they're going to get to win 7 or 8.
Their QB can run the ball well which will help. What does Pitt have to offer to make them such a big favorite?

Every QB could have had INT’s on a lot of different passes, but he didn’t. He moves well and keeps plays alive (like Trace), but he has a stronger arm than Trace.
Absolutely, every quarterback in college and the NFL has one or two passes that could’ve been intercepted and wasn’t. It’s the nature of the game.

Because Pitt and Houston aren’t that good. WVU beat Pitt last year other than a fluke play.
But West Virginia is good?
Both of those teams on paper are better than Pitt. We know how that goes sometimes but to expect WVU to win those games (when they certainly as of now) aren't favored isn't logical.

Franklin says the kicking competition coming into the season "was very close, could've gone either way." Franklin notes that the change came due to the misses on field goals he deemed "not long or challenging field goal attempts."

You're not wrong by any means, but I do believe that PSU will be the best team they play. That environment is tough for any team to come into as well.

Reactions: Online Persona
Their QB can run the ball well which will help. What does Pitt have to offer to make them such a big favorite?
Pitt, on paper, has a better QB and defense. Add to that, they have the coaching edge.
I hope WVU wins as it's good for us but let's be real about who's favored.

But West Virginia is good?
Both of those teams on paper are better than Pitt. We know how that goes sometimes but to expect WVU to win those games (when they certainly as of now) aren't favored isn't logical.
Thinking WVU will beat Pitt is just as logical as thinking the other way around. WVU has a better OLine and a better RB, so they have something tangible to point to.

You're not wrong by any means, but I do believe that PSU will be the best team they play. That environment is tough for any team to come into as well.
Oh I agree that we're the best team they'll see on year but there's wasn't a second today I had any concerns that we wouldn't win easily.

Thinking WVU will beat Pitt is just as logical as thinking the other way around. WVU has a better OLine and a better RB, so they have something tangible to point to.
It isn't-do you follow FPI at all? Or any measure?
I don't think WVU necessarily has a better back or OL. I'm not sure what you saw today that indicated a great OL. We know our DTs are our weak spot and they held up just fine. I'm really confused by what you see in WVU but one of us will be right and one will be wrong. We'll know by the end of September.

Pitt, on paper, has a better QB and defense. Add to that, they have the coaching edge.
I hope WVU wins as it's good for us but let's be real about who's favored.
I really don’t care about who is favored. And personally I wish they both could lose, but to act like Pitt is an automatic win is stupid. They’re not that good. And WVU was worse last year and Pitt should have lost that game.

It isn't-do you follow FPI at all? Or any measure?
I don't think WVU necessarily has a better back or OL. I'm not sure what you saw today that indicated a great OL. We know our DTs are our weak spot and they held up just fine. I'm really confused by what you see in WVU but one of us will be right and one will be wrong. We'll know by the end of September.
You seem to be forgetting that Pitt should have lost last year and this year they play at WVU. Home field advantage will be the difference.

My god it’s the first game. RELAX. Numbers are fine but the only number that matters is points. The fact is WVU scored 7 points on the first team defense.
I’m totally relaxed and said in the discussion it’s only the first game and plenty of time for adjustments. The point still remains- if it continues when it’s OSU and Michigan (instead of WVU) on the other side of the field the outcome will be different as we’ve seen over the years.

Last edited:
I really don’t care about who is favored. And personally I wish they both could lose, but to act like Pitt is an automatic win is stupid. They’re not that good. And WVU was worse last year and Pitt should have lost that game.
You're the one saying they will win it to go 3-3. Pitt is favored for a reason. WVU hasn't proven they're better this year.

One game at a time, but I believe PSU has the offense to keep up with anyone.

And that's what you have to have in today's CFB.

There are stats..and then there is watching the game. WVU lost alot of yards when they tried edge. They had alot of success up the middle.

Yet they didn't continue running up the middle. Why? 7 point game at halftime. It's not like they got behind and were forced to pass.

We aren't dominant vs the run, but they couldn't win the game doing it. And we didn't have to alter anything drastic to stave off their run. That's a positive.

You seem to be forgetting that Pitt should have lost last year and this year they play at WVU. Home field advantage will be the difference.
Or you hope it will. I hope you're right. No metrics indicate WVU wins that even at home.

You're the one saying they will win it to go 3-3. Pitt is favored for a reason. WVU hasn't proven they're better this year.
I think they will win because they’re pretty even teams but WVU is at home. I guess we will see. I know you’re hoping like hell for Pitt to win, but I don’t think it will happen.

Or you hope it will. I hope you're right. No metrics indicate WVU wins that even at home.
I don’t like either team, it I think WVU will win because they’re at home. I don’t think Pitt would have played us as well either.

I think they will win because they’re pretty even teams but WVU is at home. I guess we will see. I know you’re hoping like hell for Pitt to win, but I don’t think it will happen.
I'm hoping WVU wins because it benefits Penn State. I just don't believe WVU is even decent and I think tonight displayed that. If we played a clean first half the game would have been over before the 3rd. We'll clean that up but that WVU could not have been less impressive.

I guess you never know how a kid will react in a gametime situation until they're in it.
Oh I agree that we're the best team they'll see on year but there's wasn't a second today I had any concerns that we wouldn't win easily.
Either way, it was a good test for both teams especially being the first game. At least it wasn't an FCS team that created an artificial confidence. Ultimately, they should have learned something.

I'm hoping WVU wins because it benefits Penn State. I just don't believe WVU is even decent and I think tonight displayed that. If we played a clean first half the game would have been over before the 3rd. We'll clean that up but that WVU could not have been less impressive.
I think we would have beat Pitt by a lot more.

I think we would have beat Pitt by a lot more.
Based in?
I just think you've convinced yourself WVU is decent because they're our "big" non-conference game. If we played WVU week 2 instead of 1 we win by 50 because little things would be cleaned up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT