ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Trustees call special meeting on Friday to discuss Freeh Report

Really not that hard to tell that the guy was a show pony out of the gate.

You guys are truly funny!

Though we cannot publicly discuss the materials or documents we reviewed (for those of you who can read, please see the Court Order), we can and did announce yesterday the existence of a document, that provides for our very, very thorough review of those materials.

All of you now know it exists. So stop your bitching, get off your asses, and force the University to release it. You have the power.

Anthony, I applaud your efforts, I really do. There are no alumni with any power, though. Maybe the guys on the Pegula level have power, but they aren't involved in this. The little people have been effectively quashed, and been told to get lost while the adults talk business. Maybe PS4RS can raise a big enough stink to get them to consider releasing this document, but nobody else can. It will wind up shredded, at least figuratively, just like everything else in this whole debacle.

You're a smart guy, Anthony. So are some of your partners in this whole thing. That document needs to get leaked, somehow, some way. Things get leaked all the time and nobody ever takes a fall.

Though we cannot publicly discuss the materials or documents we reviewed (for those of you who can read, please see the Court Order), we can and did announce yesterday the existence of a document, that provides for our very, very thorough review of those materials.

All of you now know it exists. So stop your bitching, get off your asses, and force the University to release it. You have the power.
I’ll save everyone some time. The document says:

- The university had a conclusion in mind
- Used the Freeh interviews to “make” the conclusion
- The conclusion was to blame Paterno and the football program
- Jay recommends that the statue gets put back up
- The only BOMBSHELL is that anyone was dumb enough to believe anything remotely new could actually come out of this “review”
- No one outside of this board cares

Reactions: michnittlion

But, but, but, BARRY. :eek: has it all figured out. :eek:

Seriously, thank you, Anthony.

Reactions: indynittany
and force the University to release it.

Please advise on this specific action.

Is it as easy as filing a Complaint with the State Disciplinary Board against Frank Fina? Cause that seemed to work - took years - but it worked.

Emails & calls to Old Main go nowhere. LTE? Laughable. There is NO ONE in the PA press corps that gives a rat's ass.

Threaten Self-Immolation on the steps of Old Main if they don't release it?

Has anyone considered asking the judge to share this review with any and all pertinent federal agencies? For example, the DOE due to the Title IX investigation. Once the feds have it, it might actually be prone to FOI requests. Ryan Bagwell would be our SME on this, of course.

Reactions: sarasotan
Anthony, I applaud your efforts, I really do. There are no alumni with any power, though. Maybe the guys on the Pegula level have power, but they aren't involved in this. The little people have been effectively quashed, and been told to get lost while the adults talk business. Maybe PS4RS can raise a big enough stink to get them to consider releasing this document, but nobody else can. It will wind up shredded, at least figuratively, just like everything else in this whole debacle.

You're a smart guy, Anthony. So are some of your partners in this whole thing. That document needs to get leaked, somehow, some way. Things get leaked all the time and nobody ever takes a fall.

Lubrano is a legend who "knows something"

The reason it won't be leaked is that his specialness goes away the instant it's out there.

Just need to call up Julian Assange. He can give tips on how to get the info out there.

Short of that, the info will never be released

All of you now know it exists. So stop your bitching, get off your asses, and force the University to release it. You have the power.[/QUOTE]

Force the University to release something even some members of the BOT couldn't do? Now it's all on the alumni as a whole. It's our fault if it doesn't get released. Got it. Please accept our apologies in advance for failing you, and excuse us for not thinking any of this as particularly "funny".

Last edited:
........ we can and did announce yesterday the existence of a document, that provides for our very, very thorough review of those materials.

Since most of us weren’t there yesterday, what exactly does this mean?

If there is something improper, then why not go to the judge and request the release of the document? Have the governor’s reps request that he put pressure on the university for transparency.

Since most of us weren’t there yesterday, what exactly does this mean?

If there is something improper, then why not go to the judge and request the release of the document? Have the governor’s reps request that he put pressure on the university for transparency.
Well, apparently one of these is already gone.

I would think that a certain recently crowned "Distinguished Alumni" - who also has a Duty Of Care to the Centre County community and to the institution that is his area's largest employer - both of which were torched by Louis Freeh and his bullshit report AND caused the Commonwealth to be dragged into litigation with the NCAA as a result of Freeh's bullshit findings - should be That Guy to get off his ass and demand the University release the A7 findings.

That Guy is Jake Corman.

I find that Jake never returns his emails or voicemails. Maybe someone else would be luckier.

Jakesenate@gmail.com

Force the University to release something even some members of the BOT couldn't do? Now it's all on the alumni as a whole. It's our fault if it doesn't get released. Got it. Please accept our apologies in advance for failing you, and excuse us for not thinking any of this is particularly "funny".
Get lost JOKER!

So there’s a document....good to know

giphy.gif

Thank you Anthony, l and many on this forum do appreciate the efforts of you and the others in representing the alumni.

I usually see you a few times during the fall season, and will make it a point to thank you personally.

I would be remiss for not thanking Barry, Ryan, Ray, Jimmy W, Wendy, Dem and the others for contributing so much time, information and insight over the past seven years.

Thomas

Last edited:
I would think that a certain recently crowned "Distinguished Alumni" - who also has a Duty Of Care to the Centre County community and to the institution that is his area's largest employer - both of which were torched by Louis Freeh and his bullshit report AND caused the Commonwealth to be dragged into litigation with the NCAA as a result of Freeh's bullshit findings - should be That Guy to get off his ass and demand the University release the A7 findings.

That Guy is Jake Corman.

I find that Jake never returns his emails or voicemails. Maybe someone else would be luckier.

Jakesenate@gmail.com

Wendy, Thanks for the contacts. I just emailed Jake to pressure the University to release the Freeh review. I don’t have much hope as he may be part of the problem but if enough of us hassle him ......

Then leak the report!

Just do something similar to (nearly exactly) 6 years ago - where you were on THIS board - leaking the findings of the Freeh Report itself!

Those who think "Anthony Lubrano talked a lot for 6 years but under-delivered" aren't necessarily wrong. Don't blame them for thinking that.

Last edited:
Then leak the report!

Just do something similar to (nearly exactly) 6 years ago - where you were on THIS board - leaking the findings of the Freeh Report itself!

Those who think "Anthony Lubrano talked a lot for 6 years but under-delivered" aren't necessarily wrong. Don't blame them for thinking that.

6 years ago I had no access to the Freeh Report let alone its source documents. So your first point is baseless. You must be confusing me with the likes of Keith “they were involved in a coverup” Masser.

As for the latter point, that is a matter of individual assessment. However, no one on this board or the PSU BOT was willing to risk personal loss to the extent I did. The lawsuit that gave rise to access for ALL Trustees, not just the 7 Plaintiff Trustees, cost more than $550k to fund. The University had to be sued to recover that money. That lawsuit took another year!

In the end, I must stand on my record. Some will appreciate my efforts while others will not. That’s life and I can live with that reality.

But, I’m sure as hell not moving on simply because I’m leaving the BOT.

That Guy is Jake Corman.

Jakesenate@gmail.com

Jake's been bought and sold many times over.

Anthony - thank you for your contributions to PSU as an alum and board member. You have contributed far more than most including characters like Surma, Dambly, .....

Many of the comments toward you in this thread remind me of something my grandfather used to tell my brother and I about sports “do not listen to the crows in the stands”. I am sure you are already Doing so!

6 years ago I had no access to the Freeh Report let alone its source documents. So your first point is baseless. You must be confusing me with the likes of Keith “they were involved in a coverup” Masser.

As for the latter point, that is a matter of individual assessment. However, no one on this board or the PSU BOT was willing to risk personal loss to the extent I did. The lawsuit that gave rise to access for ALL Trustees, not just the 7 Plaintiff Trustees, cost more than $550k to fund. The University had to be sued to recover that money. That lawsuit took another year!

In the end, I must stand on my record. Some will appreciate my efforts while others will not. That’s life and I can live with that reality.

But, I’m sure as hell not moving on simply because I’m leaving the BOT.

So you cost the university $550K to satisfy your own curiosity. Wonderful.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle

As you know, you were on this board one evening during the week of 25-June-2012 making posts that made it clear you knew what the Freeh Report's conclusions were going to be.

That was 2 weeks prior to the Freeh Report's actual release (and even prior to you being an active BoT member).

OK. So I'd think you would be even MORE inclined to get this report out there. By any means possible.

Sorry. But I found you blaming other PSU folk for the non-release of this report - I found that to be obnoxious. What are they supposed to do? YOU have seen this report, other PSU folk don't.

I’m sorry, Mr. Lubrano, but after all these years those of us actually waiting for RESULTS from your “efforts” (including the money you spent to fund a lawsuit) are simply a collection of “Charlie Browns” and you, Demlion and others who dangled false hopes in front of us (remember the “Wait until September 17th” misdirection?) are a bunch of “Lucys” — holding the football in the air while the rest of us are lying flat on our backs (again!).

Chuck Noll said “Whatever it takes.” Al Davis said “Just win, baby.” You’re saying “I tried really hard — harder than the rest of you.”

Sorry, that just doesn’t cut it and in the end is utterly meaningless.

Reactions: AvgUser
I’m just astounded that anyone is still holding out "hope" or thought this would have a different outcome.

The fat lady was done singing in 2011.

Last edited:
PS4RS has a synopsis of the meeting. Seems to be a little more insight than all the speculation presented on this board.

Trustees Call on Full Board to Reject Freeh Report, Release 2-Year Review of Source Materials
by Geoff Rushton on June 29, 2018 5:17 PM

A group of Penn State trustees have concluded their review of the source materials used for the university-commissioned 2012 Freeh report on the circumstances that led to the Jerry Sandusky scandal. But their findings on Freeh's report can't be made public without the full approval of the board.

The 11 trustees who attended a special meeting on Friday said they will seek to have the full board review their report and vote on a resolution to reject Freeh's conclusions, make the trustees' report public and consider seeking the return of $8.3 million paid to former FBI director Louis Freeh's team for the investigation.

All nine current alumni-elected trustees and two gubernatorial appointees -- Robert Capretto and Elliott Weinstein -- were in attendance, but none of the other 27 members of the board were, citing short notice for the meeting.

After the university rejected requests by alumni-elected trustee Anthony Lubrano, he and six other trustees won a court order in November 2015 to receive the source materials for Freeh's investigation. The order, however, restricted trustees from publicly discussing privileged or confidential materials, thus requiring board approval for the release of the report.

"Some have said the university’s interests are best served by putting this unfortunate chapter behind us. We think differently," trustee Alice Pope said on Friday. "We believe the only way to move forward is from a solid foundation based on an honest appraisal of our history. How can we create effective solutions if we might be working with a fundamental misunderstanding of the problems to be solved?"

Freeh's report claimed that a culture of reverence for football at Penn State enabled Sandusky's sexual abuse of children, and it blamed administrators and former coach Joe Paterno for not taking action to stop Sandusky. Freeh's report was damaging to the university's reputation and led to NCAA sanctions, many of which were later repealed.

In the nearly six years since its release, the report has come under scrutiny and been the subject of criticism by observers within and outside the university community.

While Pope did not discuss the conclusions of the trustees' report, she did list "many credible criticisms" of the Freeh report that have emerged over the years:

- Conclusions that are not supported by the evidence in the report
- Factual errors within the report
- Flawed investigative methodology, including a failure to interview some of those directly involved with the matters under investigation and a subsequent failure to qualify conclusions that were limited by an absence of information
- No mention of any conflicting evidence gathered in the investigation

"It’s hard to imagine that every piece of information obtained through the investigation would have supported the conclusions of the report," Pope said.

She cited a 2012 letter from 30 former chairs of the University Faculty Senate, which said "[A]s scientists and scholars, we can say with conviction that the Freeh Report fails on its own merits as the indictment of the University that some have taken it to be. Evidence that would compel such an indictment is simply not there."

Pope also referenced criticisms of the Freeh report by former trustee Ken Frazier, who oversaw the Special Investigative Committee ("I just don’t think Freeh’s inferences ... are as clear and irrefutable as some people seem to think they are.") President Eric Barron, she noted, called the Freeh report "not useful" and said it created an "unwarranted" and "absurd" portrait of the university.

She also pointed to criticisms by ESPN analyst Jay Bilas, who said the idea a football culture enabled Sandusky was "ridiculous," and by Bob Costas, who said Freeh assigned to Paterno and others motivations that weren't backed by evidence.

Pope said the trustees who spent two years on the report also wanted to know the degree of coordination Freeh's team had with the NCAA and with the Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney General. Documents already made public indicated that Freeh's team had worked with both during the investigation. State Senate Majority Leader Jake Corman previously said that the coordination between Freeh and the NCAA was at best inappropriate and at worst "two parties working together to get a predetermined outcome."

She also referred to the federal high-security clearance investigation of Spanier for a potential government position at the same time as Freeh's investigation and said that investigator John Snedden found Spanier had committed no wrongdoing. Snedden later called the Freeh report “an embarrassment to law enforcement,” and Pope said the trustees wanted to understand the discrepancies between the two investigations.
Both Lubrano and Pope noted that the board has never voted to accept or reject the Freeh report.

"Rather, the board adopted a don’t act, don’t look and don’t tell policy," Pope said. That she said, was itself a "tacit acceptance of the report," that resulted in “profound reputational harm to our university along with $300 million in costs so far,” referring to costs of settlements and fines.

"We believe the board’s inaction on this matter constitutes a fiduciary breach and we decided to conduct our own review in execution of our fiduciary responsibilities," she said.
The 11 trustees called for the meeting on Monday. Lubrano said that they weren't sure until then that their report would be done. Alumni trustee Bill Oldsey, who called the report "very detailed and extraordinarily researched," said they felt it was important to discuss the report before Lubrano and fellow trustee Ryan McCombie, both of whom were instrumental in winning access to and reviewing the documents, left the board. Their terms officially end on Saturday.

"We understand why people are disappointed regarding timing," Oldsey said. "We believe it’s important for people to understand that we have a longstanding disappointment regarding timing. We’re greatly disappointed that fully six years after the Freeh report was released, we as a board have yet to take a full review of the work that Freeh did, resulting in residual damage we believe the report has had on the university."

Lubrano said the board owes the Penn State community and taxpayers transparency and accountability.
"Why did the Board of Trustees not believe it had the fiduciary duty to verify the veracity of a report that has to date, in some part, cost the university more than $300 million? That is obviously a rhetorical question, one that I will ask myself for many, many years to come.

"I don’t have high regard for what [Freeh] did, and I look forward to the day when the work we just finished is released to all of you so you can understand what we did."
Pope also said the Penn State has a "moral obligation to come to the best possible understanding of these events and to use that understanding to educate others. We owe it to survivors of abuse to use this knowledge to prevent future abuse."

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/trustees-call-on-full-board-to-reject-freeh-report-release-2year-review-of-source-materials,1477025/

I’m sorry, Mr. Lubrano, but after all these years those of us actually waiting for RESULTS from your “efforts” (including the money you spent to fund a lawsuit) are simply a collection of “Charlie Browns” and you, Demlion and others who dangled false hopes in front of us (remember the “Wait until September 17th” misdirection?) are a bunch of “Lucys” — holding the football in the air while the rest of us are lying flat on our backs (again!).

Chuck Noll said “Whatever it takes.” Al Davis said “Just win, baby.” You’re saying “I tried really hard — harder than the rest of you.”

Sorry, that just doesn’t cut it and in the end is utterly meaningless.
Regardless of what the report contains, it will not move the needle. Too much time has passed. And in fairness, nothing else has. Consider the Thornburgh report; the Paterno lawsuit against the NCAA (which perhaps should have been against Penn State); the efforts of Blehar, JZ, etc. Nothing has changed. Oddly, the only action that accomplished anything was the Corman suit. And he ran and hid just when he had them on the ropes. A true politician he is.

While Pope did not discuss the conclusions of the trustees' report, she did list "many credible criticisms" of the Freeh report that have emerged over the years:

- Conclusions that are not supported by the evidence in the report
- Factual errors within the report
- Flawed investigative methodology, including a failure to interview some of those directly involved with the matters under investigation and a subsequent failure to qualify conclusions that were limited by an absence of information
- No mention of any conflicting evidence gathered in the investigation

In other words, this "review" was totally worthless. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knew this was the case. Hopefully this "review" didn't waste as many university resources as Barron's onion dip.

So you cost the university $550K to satisfy your own curiosity. Wonderful.
Well, I will say this. That's a mere drop in the bucket relative to what the OGBOT cost Penn State. Just consider the settlements without proper vetting, the fines, bowl money, etc. And not to mention the irreparable damage to the University's reputation. I have no problem with them doing a review. The idea had merit, just bad execution in my opinion.

Well, I will say this. That's a mere drop in the bucket relative to what the OGBOT cost Penn State. Just consider the settlements without proper vetting, the fines, bowl money, etc. And not to mention the irreparable damage to the University's reputation. I have no problem with them doing a review. The idea had merit, just bad execution in my opinion.

Yes. I do think it's fair to question the execution. It would be like agreeing to be given the formula for the cure for cancer but then told you couldn't share it with anyone. What's the purpose? What was the purpose of the review? Heck, for those few with access it probably made things much worse for them. Now they see the failings of the Freeh Report but can't say anything. What an absolute joke. Our BOT is as corrupt an organization as has ever existed. I truly believe that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT