ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Trustees call special meeting on Friday to discuss Freeh Report

Is anyone here going to today’s public meeting? I wonder if it will be a sell-out. :eek:

I believe he typically tweets then and certainly afterwards here. I believe chi town also tries to inform most on Barry’s live updates as well.

Barry Fenchak @ barry Fenchak i believe.

I don’t have a degree from either school. I grew up in durham as a duke fan and moved here, state College, in high school.

Reactions: ouirpsu
rely on Bunny Funchuckles to tweet completely slanted opinions on what is happening during the meeting
If by completely slanted you mean anything and everything that is said by any trustee, administration official or a certain athletic director, good or bad, is automatically stupid and only Barry has all the answers, then yes... slanted. :)

Well someone in this thread nailed it.

Hypothetical questions:

1) What would be the punishment for violating this court order and talking about the documents that they can't talk about? Are we talking about civil contempt of court? Realistically, what would that punishment look like? Isn't contempt of court usually used to get someone to DO something (e.g. if you refuse to produce documents under subpoena, you are in contempt until you produce them, so you might be jailed until that happens)? In this case if they release the documents, they can't "unring" that bell. So what, a fine? I'd happily chip in towards paying their fine.

2) Why not leak the documents? I can't imagine it would be that hard to leak the documents anonymously. Maybe someone with more "dark web" ability than I have can chime in, but it seems like this could be done in a way that they courts would have no idea which trustee leaked it.

Last edited:
If by completely slanted you mean anything and everything that is said by any trustee, administration official or a certain athletic director, good or bad, is automatically stupid and only Barry has all the answers, then yes... slanted. :)

uh no, he selectively edits what is being said to promote his hateful agenda

I mean, if you can't talk because of a court order, then why have this thing to begin with?

Seems to me that everybody who gets access to information, like Lubrano and Demlion, trade that access in return for mandated total silence when it comes to real information, if it exists.

Granted we only have limited information (from Barry's tweets) about what was said, but if I read between this lines, here's what I get out of Lubrano's statement:

"After reviewing the Freeh report and underlying documents, it is clear that it was not the independent investigation for which PSU contracted with the Freeh Group. Rather it was a "hit job" with a predetermined outcome that attempted justify the actions of the PSU BOT in 2011. The conclusions of the Freeh Report are not supported by the report itself, nor by the facts in the underlying documents. Given the importance of this information to the larger university community, we will respectfully ask the court to allow for us to publish our review."

I'm not sure why they couldn't say that as it doesn't mention any specifics that would violate the court order.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and AvgUser
Hypothetical questions:

1) What would be the punishment for violating this court order and talking about the documents that they can't talk about? Are we talking about civil contempt of court? Realistically, what would that punishment look like? Isn't contempt of court usually used to get someone to DO something (e.g. if you refuse to produce documents under subpoena, you are in contempt until you produce them, so you might be jailed until that happens)? In this case if they release the documents, they can't "unring" that bell. So what, a fine? I'd happily chip in towards paying their fine.

2) I can't imagine it would be that hard to leak the documents anonymously. Maybe someone with more "dark web" ability than I have can chime in, but it seems like this could be done in a way that they courts would have no idea which trustee leaked it.

Not a lawyer, but court order is a court order.

This was the problem with agreeing to a gag order under the false pretense that Freeh’s interviews were promised to be private.

When you open a meeting with ‘we can’t say much due to the court order’ and then (reportedly) start referring to comments of Bob Costas and Jay Bilas you’ve officially jumped the shark.

Not a lawyer, but court order is a court order.

Yeah, I get that. But realistically what would the penalty be for violating the order? You can't jail them until the "un-release the documents." So probably a fine, yes?

Yeah, I get that. But realistically what would the penalty be for violating the order? You can't jail them until the "un-release the documents." So probably a fine, yes?

Honestly, I don’t know. I get your point that you can’t ‘undo’ a document release. I would guess a large fine and maybe some jail time depending on the mood of the judge?

Don't fret, something will be coming in September. Remember?

Thanks for the effort but again it is a complete fail and far too late to be taken seriously. It's court-ordered secrecy seems a fitting end.

How large would the fine have to be to really impact a guy who donated enough to get his name on the baseball field?

Also if A9 & a few others have access, how would an anonymous submission to wikileaks be traced to the single person who leaked? The judge surely could not fine all. This isn't 4th grade, when the "whole class" gets punished until they rat out the kid who ate all the paste.

Honestly, I don’t know. I get your point that you can’t ‘undo’ a document release. I would guess a large fine and maybe some jail time depending on the mood of the judge?

Thanks -- you are probably in the ball park.

I'd love to hear other opinions on the ramifications of violating the court order as well if board attorneys are willing to share.

Can someone remind me what the rationale for the court order was in the first place? Wasn't this a result of the A9 suing PSU to get access to the documents and the courts ruling they could have access but only if they didn't share? Was that based on attorney work product? If the A9 are part of the BOT why isn't that "their work product" and they can do whatever they want with it, especially if they view disseminating it as part of their duty to the university?

Reactions: 91Joe95
I'm not a legal expert but is jail time a real remedy for violating a civil court order? It seems to me jail is only a possibility as the result of criminal charges. If the A9 says "screw it" and leaks the documents, I don't think any criminal laws would apply. But they shouldn't take my word for it.

Anyway, everything is still a big damned secret except to those who can't talk. It was a shit show in 2011 and it's still a shit show today.

I'd love to hear other opinions on the ramifications of violating the court order as well if board attorneys are willing to share.

Can someone remind me what the rationale for the court order was in the first place? Wasn't this a result of the A9 suing PSU to get access to the documents and the courts ruling they could have access but only if they didn't share? Was that based on attorney work product? If the A9 are part of the BOT why isn't that "their work product" and they can do whatever they want with it, especially if they view disseminating it as part of their duty to the university?

I have wondered the same things.

But I have to admit that it is very strange that there have been several leaks, and the only one that was punished was the leak by the "good guys" (Kane). Try making a list of PA judges who are involved with this that you trust with your fate?

I think the fear was, that if an employee of PSU had been interviewed & said something negative (about anything, but certainly if negative about Joe and/or football) that there could be a backlash against them by their bosses & other employees.

Certainly the interviews had no promise of absolute confidentiality, but there was some level of it that was implied (probably disingenuously) to the interviewees.

I get that. If there was a professor of economics, who's still in place, who just hated Joe & Football, and his comments got out, he'd be shunned by his peers & deans & probably find himself unemployable anywhere except perhaps Pitt.

It seems that the A9 have no guts to speak of. The above scenario would be a bit of a shame, but who cares. It should be leaked. Everything gets leaked every day. This all started with a GJP leak. It's crazy.

As expected. This crap has been going on since the I know some things but am not at liberty to say days. Just pack it in already. We're never going to hear anything of substance. After nearly seven years, it's become laughable. Face it, we've been made fools of.

ADVERTISEMENT