ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Hockey 2020-21

Hey @MJG-90 I usually talk PSU Hockey over on The Lion's Den. @David Eckert-BWI Staff is our hockey reporter so he gets all the inside information and does a fantastic job. So somehow I missed this thread.

Thanks for your articles - nicely done!

You guys pretty much went over the team strength and weaknesses. I am very satisfied with our progress especially after such a tough start against powerful opponents on the road. We're gaining power game by game which is the most important thing.

USCHO has a lot of stories and information but it drives me crazy because I think the B1G writers hate us. Of course I feel that way about virtually ALL the writers. They have the complete PairWise on their site which is a great thing to have.

I believe if we're middle of the pack and right around .500 this year it will be a successful season, and look forward to bigger and better things going forward.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Hockey beat ND in OT to move into 4th in B1G. 9-3 in last 12 after 0-5 start.
TYVM! Damn schedule has me all messed up. These midweek games are nutso.

Haven’t looked at the stats/recap but that is a damn good win. We’re solidly in the middle of the pack, above .500 and rolling.

I’ve been somewhat critical of Guy in the past but this is a great coaching job.

Rock solid performance by Oskar in goal - stopped 31 of 32. We should recruit Finland harder - the Autio brothers have given us some great hockey.

Game winner from Limoges. What do they say - big time players make big time plays in big time games.

Hockey update? Gophers up 4-0 on OSU 2:30 into the third period (obviously about 17 and a half minutes left.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Hockey update? Gophers up 4-0 on OSU 2:30 into the third period (obviously about 17 and a half minutes left.

ND just tied it up 2-2 with 8 left in the 3rd. PSU led 1-0 then 2-1. So, PSU should score the next goal. 😆

Going to OT...

ND wins in OT on a breakaway with 54 seconds left. PSU falls to 4-1 in OT games this season and is back to 0.500 overall. PSU does get 1 point in the B1G standings. Too bad... they had quite a few chances to get away with a sweep this weekend.

Last edited:
ND just tied it up 2-2 with 8 left in the 3rd. PSU led 1-0 then 2-1. So, PSU should score the next goal. 😆

Going to OT...

ND wins in OT on a breakaway with 54 seconds left. PSU falls to 4-1 in OT games this season and is back to 0.500 overall. PSU does get 1 point in the B1G standings. Too bad... they had quite a few chances to get away with a sweep this weekend.
Rats! I was hoping for a sweep as well. ND is a very good team, so no shame in a split.

Rats! I was hoping for a sweep as well. ND is a very good team, so no shame in a split.

Maybe so, but their record doesn't show it. They're 5-1 on the road, yes their loss to PSU the other day was their first road loss, but they're 3-8-1 at home. Go figure.

Maybe so, but their record doesn't show it. They're 5-1 on the road, yes their loss to PSU the other day was their first road loss, but they're 3-8-1 at home. Go figure.

Get lost Irish man! :p ;) :p

The BIG Ten NEVER should have prostituted itself and let you in our league!

Go play in the ACC Hockey league!!

I F'in hate Notre Dame and I am Roman Catholic.

ND = bastion of hypocrisy!

:)

You can respond but only if you have won a Bowl Game in the last 6 years or so!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit07
Get lost Irish man! :p ;) :p

The BIG Ten NEVER should have prostituted itself and let you in our league!

Go play in the ACC Hockey league!!

I F'in hate Notre Dame and I am Roam Catholic.

ND = bastion of hypocrisy!

:)

You can respond but only if you have won a Bowl Game in the last 6 years or so!!!
Yet another reason to to hate the Big10.

So, series last weekend against Michigan postponed due to COVID within Michigan's program. Seeing that this weekend's series against OSU has also been postponed and the following weekend's game against ASU has been canceled due to COVID within PSU's program. So, unless they are able to reschedule either Michigan or OSU for the ASU weekend, next game would be last weekend of February against Minnesota (quite a team to play after such a long break lol) with only ND left after that before the B1G Tourney (@ND). Not great as it prevents PSU from the potential for getting a few more wins to make a case for the NCAAs. Oh, well... that's just pandemic life!

So, series last weekend against Michigan postponed due to COVID within Michigan's program. Seeing that this weekend's series against OSU has also been postponed and the following weekend's game against ASU has been canceled due to COVID within PSU's program. So, unless they are able to reschedule either Michigan or OSU for the ASU weekend, next game would be last weekend of February against Minnesota (quite a team to play after such a long break lol) with only ND left after that before the B1G Tourney (@ND). Not great as it prevents PSU from the potential for getting a few more wins to make a case for the NCAAs. Oh, well... that's just pandemic life!
Well after last weekend, I'm not so convinced you have much to worry about.:(

Well after last weekend, I'm not so convinced you have much to worry about.:(
Well, no worries as this series was just canceled as well due to positive COVID tests on the PSU team. So, next up is the series at ND the first week of March and then the conference tourney starting March 18th. I hope that they have the COVID under control soon and that everyone comes out of this healthy!

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Well, no worries as this series was just canceled as well due to positive COVID tests on the PSU team. So, next up is the series at ND the first week of March and then the conference tourney starting March 18th. I hope that they have the COVID under control soon and that everyone comes out of this healthy!
Sorry to hear that! I always want all the teams that wish to compete, be able to compete!

Cheers!

Still hope those games will be played?

Postponed or cancelled?

Off to a rough start in the B1G Quarterfinal at ND. Down 0-2 in the first 2:30. Still don't have their game legs back after that long COVID layoff? Finally showing a little life about 8:30 in - two good chances. Need to score next.

Limo makes it 1-2!!! Reviewed for off-sides and call upheld. Ugh. 0-2.

Sarlo makes it 1-2 with a shot that rode the crossbar! 1:08 left in 1st. Playing with more intensity. Hearing Fight On State in the rink!

Tied up 2-2!!! 16:41 left in 2nd.

3-2 PSU in the 2nd! Also held off a PP on a bogus roughing penalty.

4-2 PSU 5 min left in 2nd!!!

Last edited:
1-2 after 1. Looks like the boys are now awake and playing well. Need the legs and endurance to keep going as game goes along.

HUUUGE 15 minutes of hockey just now, 2 goals by McMenamin followed by a power play tally from Doherty, assist by Limoges. 4-2 PSU now with 3 minutes left in the second period. Go State, stomp on the little Leprechaun, the heck with St. Patrick’s Day!

1-2 after 1. Looks like the boys are now awake and playing well. Need the legs and endurance to keep going as game goes along.

HUUUGE 15 minutes of hockey just now, 2 goals by McMenamin followed by a power play tally from Doherty, assist by Limoges. 4-2 PSU now with 3 minutes left in the second period. Go State, stomp on the little Leprechaun, the heck with St. Patrick’s Day!
One of the better in-game stretches this season! Gotta keep pushing and play smart. The two-goal lead in hockey...

Reactions: PA_JOE
Well we played really well for 19 of the first 20 minutes against Wisconsin today until we reverted to our classic defensive keystone cops routine and failed to clear the puck (twice) resulting in a Badger goal in the last minute of the period. 1-0 Wisconsin end of the first period.

That would be good. Fingers crossed. No hockey jinx in this thread.

Yep. We failed to clear puck. The first attempt was poor because it was a no look that went to Wisconsin and the second was because instead of getting to corner first, you could see Hampton slow down so Wisconsin could get there first and he could press him along the boards. But instead the player got control of puck and got it out to his teammate... then bang Wisconsin player alone in front if net.

All that being said, played very well. Must get next goal to get the energy going and keep legs moving. If Bucky gets up 2-0, could get ugly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT