ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State WR commit Tyseer Denmark to play senior season at Imhotep

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
vuvlaemxiaelgwi6ti1b

Penn State wide receiver commitment Tyseer Denmark will be playing his senior season at Imhotep Charter in Philadelphia. The four-star wide receiver commitment announced his transfer to Imohtep on Friday evening.

Not a Happy Valley Insider subscriber? Join today for access to all our premium content and message board community. Already INSIDE? Join the conversation on THE LIONS DEN FORUM!

Denmark, as a junior for Roman Catholic, totaled 53 receptions for 892 receiving yards and ten touchdowns.

The 5-foot-11 wide receiver originally committed to Oregon late last November. Penn State, throughout his commitment to Oregon, continued to push heavily for the Philadelphia native. Those efforts paid off in June as he decommitted from the Ducks on June 18 before committing to Penn State just three days later on June 21.

His commitment was part of a hot stretch for Penn State that week at wide receiver as they also landed three-star wide receivers Peter Gonzalez and Josiah Brown just two days later. Penn State's 2024 recruiting class currently features 24 total commitments and ranks 12th in the Rivals team recruiting rankings.

A stacked Imhotep Charter roster​

At Imhotep Charter, Denmark will play alongside fellow Penn State commitment Kenny Woseley Jr. as well as the likes of fellow 2024 Power Five commits in OL Zafir Stewart (Illinois) and DT Jahsear Whittington (Pittsburgh). The class of 2025 for Imhotep is strong as well, with notable prospects in four-star DE Zahir Mathis, RB Jabree Coleman, and DB Saimire Locks.

Mathis is one of Penn State's top overall prospects in the 2025 recruiting cycle and is currently the 37th-ranked player in the country, according to Rivals. Coleman, the 85th-ranked player overall, is currently committed to Georgia. Locks, on the other hand, has five FBS offers in Boston College, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Wisconsin.

The 2026 class at Imhotep is shaping up to be a good one, with prospects such as OL Jesse Moody, OL Brian Moore Jr., and ATH Sy'eer Coleman among the headlines. It's safe to say Imhotep is a stacked program heading into this fall, as they have been for much of recent memory.

The Philadelphia high school has been good to Penn State over the years, which included landing commitments from players such as LB Keon Wylie as part of the 2022 recruiting class and LB/DE Shaka Toney as part of the 2016 recruiting class.

Imhotep Charter will begin its 2023 season next Saturday night against Life Christian Academy out of Virginia. The matchup will be played at York Suburban High School in York as part of the York Rose Bowl, a two-day showcase.

On Friday night, York Suburban will play East Pennsboro. The Saturday lineup is a fun one with Imani Christian vs. Steelton-Highspire, Imhotep Charter vs. Life Christian Academy, and will then finish off with William Penn vs. Harrisburg.

vuvlaemxiaelgwi6ti1b

Penn State wide receiver commitment Tyseer Denmark will be playing his senior season at Imhotep Charter in Philadelphia. The four-star wide receiver commitment announced his transfer to Imohtep on Friday evening.

Not a Happy Valley Insider subscriber? Join today for access to all our premium content and message board community. Already INSIDE? Join the conversation on THE LIONS DEN FORUM!

Denmark, as a junior for Roman Catholic, totaled 53 receptions for 892 receiving yards and ten touchdowns.

The 5-foot-11 wide receiver originally committed to Oregon late last November. Penn State, throughout his commitment to Oregon, continued to push heavily for the Philadelphia native. Those efforts paid off in June as he decommitted from the Ducks on June 18 before committing to Penn State just three days later on June 21.

His commitment was part of a hot stretch for Penn State that week at wide receiver as they also landed three-star wide receivers Peter Gonzalez and Josiah Brown just two days later. Penn State's 2024 recruiting class currently features 24 total commitments and ranks 12th in the Rivals team recruiting rankings.

A stacked Imhotep Charter roster​

At Imhotep Charter, Denmark will play alongside fellow Penn State commitment Kenny Woseley Jr. as well as the likes of fellow 2024 Power Five commits in OL Zafir Stewart (Illinois) and DT Jahsear Whittington (Pittsburgh). The class of 2025 for Imhotep is strong as well, with notable prospects in four-star DE Zahir Mathis, RB Jabree Coleman, and DB Saimire Locks.

Mathis is one of Penn State's top overall prospects in the 2025 recruiting cycle and is currently the 37th-ranked player in the country, according to Rivals. Coleman, the 85th-ranked player overall, is currently committed to Georgia. Locks, on the other hand, has five FBS offers in Boston College, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Wisconsin.

The 2026 class at Imhotep is shaping up to be a good one, with prospects such as OL Jesse Moody, OL Brian Moore Jr., and ATH Sy'eer Coleman among the headlines. It's safe to say Imhotep is a stacked program heading into this fall, as they have been for much of recent memory.

The Philadelphia high school has been good to Penn State over the years, which included landing commitments from players such as LB Keon Wylie as part of the 2022 recruiting class and LB/DE Shaka Toney as part of the 2016 recruiting class.

Imhotep Charter will begin its 2023 season next Saturday night against Life Christian Academy out of Virginia. The matchup will be played at York Suburban High School in York as part of the York Rose Bowl, a two-day showcase.

On Friday night, York Suburban will play East Pennsboro. The Saturday lineup is a fun one with Imani Christian vs. Steelton-Highspire, Imhotep Charter vs. Life Christian Academy, and will then finish off with William Penn vs. Harrisburg.
Sounds like much of this was also to ensure he becomes academically eligible for next fall. Anyone with any background on why Imhotep is a better option for this aspect?

Reactions: bison13
Sounds like much of this was also to ensure he becomes academically eligible for next fall. Anyone with any background on why Imhotep is a better option for this aspect?

Football school that will get him eligible. RCC was probably the better option as far as resources goes. This is about getting him eligible and enrolled in basket weaving and golf next year, but just pure speculation.

Let’s not over think this.
1. He flunked out of RCHS.
2. Imhotep is a high school.
3. Imhotep has an excellent football program, and they do a good job with at risk kids.
4. Did I mention that he flunked out of RC and has to go somewhere else and graduate to get into college?
5. Franklins goal is to have him admitted at PSU in general and not necessarily the engineering dept.
6. Hopefully the plan doesn’t work so well that he flips to Harvard.

Football school that will get him eligible. RCC was probably the better option as far as resources goes. This is about getting him eligible and enrolled in basket weaving and golf next year, but just pure speculation.
It won’t be basket weaving and golf, but rather a schedule of all core classes, where he will be given A’s in each of them to offset a poor standardized score.

As a high school coach, counselor, admin, I see this all the time.

It won’t be basket weaving and golf, but rather a schedule of all core classes, where he will be given A’s in each of them to offset a poor standardized score.

Also- depending on his "academic needs," sometimes public schools employ more Special Ed teachers that can "assist."

The Federal Law requires everyone is entitled to a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). This can result in many wrinkles to the way kids are tested, which classes they are placed in, many have 1:1 aides, I've had note takers, tests read orally, certain kids not allowed to have "none of the above" or "all of the above" as multiple choice answers. Some can only have 3 options for multiple choice instead of 5 (simple probability says scores increase).

Private schools like Roman don't always have that level of expertise on staff, nor do they traditionally cater to those developing their academic resumes from a special needs perspective. The intentions are good, but are also ripe for abuse.

I know nothing about this young man. Transferring from a private school to a football factory may npt be as big of a deal as it is being portrayed. We will see...

Also- depending on his "academic needs," sometimes public schools employ more Special Ed teachers that can "assist."

The Federal Law requires everyone is entitled to a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). This can result in many wrinkles to the way kids are tested, which classes they are placed in, many have 1:1 aides, I've had note takers, tests read orally, certain kids not allowed to have "none of the above" or "all of the above" as multiple choice answers. Some can only have 3 options for multiple choice instead of 5 (simple probability says scores increase).

Private schools like Roman don't always have that level of expertise on staff, nor do they traditionally cater to those developing their academic resumes from a special needs perspective. The intentions are good, but are also ripe for abuse.

I know nothing about this young man. Transferring from a private school to a football factory may npt be as big of a deal as it is being portrayed. We will see...
Some of what you list here for assistance seems absolutely insane. Limiting options on tests? 1:1 aides? Note takers?

How much is this costing taxpayers and what is the ROI? It just seems to be a massive cost to produce students that might technically with special assistance pass but probably still aren't capable at minimum levels to contribute to society.

Some of what you list here for assistance seems absolutely insane. Limiting options on tests? 1:1 aides? Note takers?

How much is this costing taxpayers and what is the ROI? It just seems to be a massive cost to produce students that might technically with special assistance pass but probably still aren't capable at minimum levels to contribute to society.
Wow a lot of ignorant old men here. I live in an affluent area and my kids go to a high school with a ridiculous amount of support staff that help students of all backgrounds not just special Ed low income kids that aren’t capable of contributing to society. My daughter was granted a 504 which just ensures teachers know she has difficulty with some subjects since she’s ADHD and can have an aid provide additional support if requested. We opted to not use any support since my daughter didn’t want to be labeled special Ed. It was a big mistake not to take advantage of that help as my daughter struggled to graduate and it became a nightly battle of getting her homework done. My daughter won’t be an engineer, but she will absolutely contribute to society so get off your high horse. If a recruit makes a move to another school to help him academically since the school he goes to is shit, then I’m all for it. I hope the kid that choose PSU flourishes at his new school and contributes to PSU as well as society.

Wow a lot of ignorant old men here. I live in an affluent area and my kids go to a high school with a ridiculous amount of support staff that help students of all backgrounds not just special Ed low income kids that aren’t capable of contributing to society. My daughter was granted a 504 which just ensures teachers know she has difficulty with some subjects since she’s ADHD and can have an aid provide additional support if requested. We opted to not use any support since my daughter didn’t want to be labeled special Ed. It was a big mistake not to take advantage of that help as my daughter struggled to graduate and it became a nightly battle of getting her homework done. My daughter won’t be an engineer, but she will absolutely contribute to society so get off your high horse. If a recruit makes a move to another school to help him academically since the school he goes to is shit, then I’m all for it. I hope the kid that choose PSU flourishes at his new school and contributes to PSU as well as society.
High horse? I am asking for an analysis of the ROI for such crazy support as 1:1 aides, personal note takers, and limiting the answers on multiple choice questions on tests. I have taught at the university level and in a private HS. I've never heard of such practices and can't even begin to calculate the costs.

And congrats to your daughter for willingly working her way through HS without wanting the additional support. It may not have been easier, but I am guessing that she is better off for having taken the harder road.

Hey, I’m a really old man, but I’m with you on this one. One of my daughters struggled mightily in both high school and college. As a parent it was an incredibly difficult thing to watch. She’s never going to be able to build a bridge (sometimes in the past I worried if she could safely cross one). But she’s doing just fine and is a valuable contributor to society.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

Does he even need to take the SAT or ACT?

High horse? I am asking for an analysis of the ROI for such crazy support as 1:1 aides, personal note takers, and limiting the answers on multiple choice questions on tests. I have taught at the university level and in a private HS. I've never heard of such practices and can't even begin to calculate the costs.

And congrats to your daughter for willingly working her way through HS without wanting the additional support. It may not have been easier, but I am guessing that she is better off for having taken the harder road.
I don’t want to burst your bubble here. But unless you live in the school district you don’t have the Legal standing to ask for an analysis of ROI. If the district can afford it, that’s their choice. Even if not, they’re trying to help. Perhaps they produce one less lost kid that doesn’t Jack your car. There’s so much nonsensical money wasting bullshit going on in today’s joke of a public school system, and you pick a positive to attack?
I’ll take positive human growth and achievement over line item budget entries any day.

As Denmark is inching his chin above the bar to barely become academically eligible you have the general pop of high school students across America needing a 4.0 GPA along with starting a non profit on their own to get into the college they want.

Reactions: Thomas1945
I don’t want to burst your bubble here. But unless you live in the school district you don’t have the Legal standing to ask for an analysis of ROI. If the district can afford it, that’s their choice. Even if not, they’re trying to help. Perhaps they produce one less lost kid that doesn’t Jack your car. There’s so much nonsensical money wasting bullshit going on in today’s joke of a public school system, and you pick a positive to attack?
I’ll take positive human growth and achievement over line item budget entries any day.
1) I don't need legal standing to ask for analysis of the ROI. I am on a message board merely suggesting that the ROI of such practices should be considered. Plus, the Philly city schools consistently underperform with excessive spending. We seem to agree on this point. So perhaps some analysis is appropriate and in the best interest of the citizens.

2) The school district likely cannot afford it. Tax rates are crazy in Philly area. They aren't NYC crazy but they are out of control and rising. I pay school taxes on quite a few residential properties. Trust me.

As Denmark is inching his chin above the bar to barely become academically eligible you have the general pop of high school students across America needing a 4.0 GPA along with starting a non profit on their own to get into the college they want.
Well to put it in perspective, those kids are battling two of the most inefficient and potentially corrupt entities on Earth. Guaranteed Government loan programs and voraciously wasteful college administrators.

Reactions: Online Persona
1) I don't need legal standing to ask for analysis of the ROI. I am on a message board merely suggesting that the ROI of such practices should be considered. Plus, the Philly city schools consistently underperform with excessive spending. We seem to agree on this point. So perhaps some analysis is appropriate and in the best interest of the citizens.

2) The school district likely cannot afford it. Tax rates are crazy in Philly area. They aren't NYC crazy but they are out of control and rising. I pay school taxes on quite a few residential properties. Trust me.
Sometimes you just get the bit in your mouth and love to run.
1. First off I referenced school districts that can afford it. You conveniently ignored that part.
2. The people running public school districts don’t care if you own property in NYC, next door to the school or on the moon. You’re just a paying customer that receives piss pour service.
3. Inner city schools are a national disgrace. We both know what caused that. More money is wasted there by stupidity, existing political insanity, and good old fashion greed than we will ever know. Accounting investigations aren’t going to fix that. This is one of those systemic origin problems that Kamala is solving on the border. The end results are strikingly consistent.
4. All I’m saying is that with all the stupidity if a wasteful program saves an occasional kid I’m all for it. Even the desert has a rare oasis.

Sometimes you just get the bit in your mouth and love to run.
1. First off I referenced school districts that can afford it. You conveniently ignored that part.
2. The people running public school districts don’t care if you own property in NYC, next door to the school or on the moon. You’re just a paying customer that receives piss pour service.
3. Inner city schools are a national disgrace. We both know what caused that. More money is wasted there by stupidity, existing political insanity, and good old fashion greed than we will ever know. Accounting investigations aren’t going to fix that. This is one of those systemic origin problems that Kamala is solving on the border. The end results are strikingly consistent.
4. All I’m saying is that with all the stupidity if a wasteful program saves an occasional kid I’m all for it. Even the desert has a rare oasis.
I don't think we are far off here. I just think we ought to try to improve the wasteful spending or at least make it more efficient if it is still going to be excessive spending.

Unless something changed in the last month, it’s still part of the clearinghouse. I know the NCAA is worthless, but they still use it.
According to PSU admissions they are test optional through the Fall 2025 admission cycle. Also, in Feb the NCAA permanently eliminated the requirement for first year D1 and D2 athletes to earn a qualifying SAT or ACT score to participate in sports. Looks like Denmark just needs to pass his classes and he is in.

Unless something changed in the last month, it’s still part of the clearinghouse. I know the NCAA is worthless, but they still use it.
I recently saw the revised ACT for athletes. Some questions were:
1. Give me a one letter word that starts with “A”.
2. What do we call the shiny thing in the sky during the day?
3. If a wide receiver goes in motion to the short side of the field and you’re playing the Will linebacker spot what is your first responsibility?
4. What is the flying insect that makes honey and is spelled BEE?
5. If you’re on a train from Philadelphia to Cleveland, shouldn’t you have asked a booster for a plane ticket instead?
6. If you’re playing left tackle and you suspect an inside blitz what’s both the verbal (that means talking) and non verbal (that means not talking) signal to request help.
When you’re done don’t forget to sign your name (printing is okay) and give it to the guy wearing the coach’s windbreaker.

According to PSU admissions they are test optional through the Fall 2025 admission cycle. Also, in Feb the NCAA permanently eliminated the requirement for first year D1 and D2 athletes to earn a qualifying SAT or ACT score to participate in sports. Looks like Denmark just needs to pass his classes and he is in.
Are you sure the SAT requirement is eliminated? As of now I thought that wasn’t supposed to be until next year.

Edit: you are correct. I had just been thinking that it was not applicable for kids that started before Covid but they did change it this spring.

They need a track for the athletes (and probably many of them) that are not academically inclined. Could they just get a job in SC with a job coach from the athletic department or study a trade. They are not students, we know that. Pay them of course plus NIL but no PSU scholarship.

That is why it is a Federal Law. FAPE is indeed very expensive...but also the law for a reason. Yes- public schools and taxpayers bear the weight of those costs. Everyone is a critic until it is their child or grandchild. Then they become "advocates."

It isn't all peaches and cream. Many lawyers make a good living taking school districts to task for not following IEPs/504s etc. The process itself is one big game of CYA.

"Modern" education is very different than what many of us 50+ grew up with. Seasoned teachers are used to it. Rookie teachers are typically overwhelmed with the complexity. I've got 10 years or so left and fully expect more changes before I retire. It is possible that if you have a class of 25 different students, each with their own need (language is another big variable where standards and achievement aren't supposed to be held back....yep...really) then you could have 25 different individualized lesson plans. For me it typically is 3-4.

Seeing kids achieve is the best part of the job. Dealing with the overbearing adults both in management and at home is the opposite. Thebest intentions often have very poor execution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT