ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Hockey 2020-21

MJG-90

Jan 23, 2018
I wrote a season preview for roarlionsroar.com. Hope you'll read it and give me your thoughts.

I'll be doing series previews prior to each series throughout the season as well. If @STPGopherfan sees this, get in touch and let me know if you have anything from your side on our first series against Minnesota.

Last edited:
I wrote a season preview for roarlionsroar.com. Hope you'll read it and give me your thoughts.

I'll be doing series previews prior to each series throughout the season as well. If @STPGopherfan sees this, get in touch and let me know if you have anything from your side on our first series against Minnesota.
Who are you, really?

Peter Parker?

Clark Kent??

2nd coming of Myron Cope???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Not right now, but you might find this video interesting. I forgot that the season was interupted prior to our series. BTW This will be the Gophers 100th season! I can only hope that we can have a "full" season and that both of our programs can make the NCAA tournament.

Link to Minnesota Rivals Message Board Post

Twitter Link:

Gopher Hockey

USCHO (Wally Shaver (Voice of Gopher Hockey) - Preview)

Game of the Week Preview Penn State at Minnesota

Side note Wally Shaver's brother Al was voice of the Minnesota North Stars (Now the Dallas Stars).

Wally is clearly a homer, but he is a very good hockey announcer.

Last edited:
Nothing really, but I did reply to this post with some general information. What a start to the season! We are developing a good and organic rivalry. Too bad we can't go to the games in person. Mariucci would be rocking tonight if it were. 100th season!

We should start to see coach Motzko's influence this season. Defense should be improved. Penn State will be a great test! I like Penn State's style!

Drop the puck!

Cheers!

Well written preview. Thank you. I read that the BIG isn't having a non conference schedule. Why did MSU just play ASU?

2-1 Minnesota end of second period.

PSU leading in overall shots 50-35 (19-19 shots on goal).

Minny winning the face off battle 28-10.

Minny play by play site-

What was the call on the 4th Minnesota goal? Came out of review and waived it off then changed the call back to the original call without another review, My only thought is a hand pass in the defensive zone is legal, not sure of the college rules on a hand pass.

I saw the throwbacks when I was researching for the series preview I did. I think they are very well done.
MJG-90, I didn't see the game, but listened to what I could while working on a project. Correctible errors by PSU? They were in it for some time. I kept thinking about the two goal lead is the most dangerous lead. Especially when it became 2-1.

Just curious to get your opinion. I love listening to Gopher hockey, but the announcers are homers, so I don't always trust their take on the opponent.

MJG-90, I didn't see the game, but listened to what I could while working on a project. Correctible errors by PSU? They were in it for some time. I kept thinking about the two goal lead is the most dangerous lead. Especially when it became 2-1.

Just curious to get your opinion. I love listening to Gopher hockey, but the announcers are homers, so I don't always trust their take on the opponent.
I'll throw in my non expert opinion... It seemed like MN really outworked PSU in the second period, even if the stats didn't show it. I might be wrong there, but it's just my feeling as I was watching the game, especially when MN scored the first goal. Maybe it's a function of having so many new players? Maybe it's me being pessimistic?

Penn State is what Minnesota was last season -- young and inexperienced. I won't call anyone out specifically, but one young player got caught out of position several times leading to at least one goal and several other opportunities. Minnesota was the better team for sure last night. But they also got more bounces. The Gophers second goal was from right in front and PSU has several chances to clear the puck but whiffed.

The unfortunate thing for Penn State is they open with four games in six days on the road at Minnesota and Wisconsin. It would be nice to have several games against Atlantic Hockey schools to get some chemistry built before going against those schools on the road.

Penn State is what Minnesota was last season -- young and inexperienced. I won't call anyone out specifically, but one young player got caught out of position several times leading to at least one goal and several other opportunities. Minnesota was the better team for sure last night. But they also got more bounces. The Gophers second goal was from right in front and PSU has several chances to clear the puck but whiffed.

The unfortunate thing for Penn State is they open with four games in six days on the road at Minnesota and Wisconsin. It would be nice to have several games against Atlantic Hockey schools to get some chemistry built before going against those schools on the road.
Thanks! I was wondering about your defense and possibly losing the puck. Radio is good, but sometimes you just have to see it for it to make sense.

Tough draw for PSU, but if there was to be a reload/ rebuild season, this would be a good one. The beauty of having a young team is they can surprise. I know that the Gophers can't sleep walk tonight.

Again, thanks!

Last edited:
ASU is kind of like Notre Dame. IIRC All BigTen teams will play them at home.
I will add that, while ND is an affiliate B1G member for hockey, I believe that is *not* the case for ASU. So, ASU is not eligible for the conference championship or tourney. This is more a marriage of convenience - B1G fills in some schedule holes (with all games at B1G venues, as noted) and ASU gets a guaranteed regular season schedule, which is challenging for an independent given the pandemic.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
I will add that, while ND is an affiliate B1G member for hockey, I believe that is *not* the case for ASU. So, ASU is not eligible for the conference championship or tourney. This is more a marriage of convenience - B1G fills in some schedule holes (with all games at B1G venues, as noted) and ASU gets a guaranteed regular season schedule, which is challenging for an independent given the pandemic.

ASU is also opening a new building in two years and gets a bunch of guaranteed visits from Big Ten schools once that happens. So it’s going to work out for them going forward as well.

Thanks for correcting me. I just heard enough about the season to know that they were playing teams in our conference.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
ASU is also opening a new building in two years and gets a bunch of guaranteed visits from Big Ten schools once that happens. So it’s going to work out for them going forward as well.
Didn't know that. So, ASU was able to get something from the deal as well, lol! Thanks for posting (this & the season preview et al)!

3-2 Final. I couldn't listen to the game as I am still at work and had meetings during the game. The stats look much tighter. What stinks is we don't get the third game in the series, what really stinks is no home and home series.

PSU at Minnesota summary

BTW I forgot to mention that Covid sucks! Assuming that the schedules still lined up, it would have been hockey at 3pm and football at 6:30pm cst. :mad:

3-2 Final. I couldn't listen to the game as I am still at work and had meetings during the game. The stats look much tighter. What stinks is we don't get the third game in the series, what really stinks is no home and home series.

PSU at Minnesota summary

LaFontaine doesn’t give up many rebounds and the Gophers are strong on the puck. Penn State played much better today than yesterday, but it still felt like Minny was just a tick better in every area. Especially on defense.

Reactions: TheGLOV
LaFontaine doesn’t give up many rebounds and the Gophers are strong on the puck. Penn State played much better today than yesterday, but it still felt like Minny was just a tick better in every area. Especially on defense.
Thanks for the update! I think both teams will benefit from this experience. We both know that every game matters, but both of our teams would also be using this opportunity to work on lines, and overall play with the end goal of really clicking by the end of conference play. Assuming no games are added, this is the equivalent of our preconference portion of the season.

Best of luck next week! I will be cheering for Penn State big time!

Outcome this weekend not surprising. We are young, Minnesota is not.

Team played much better today. Giving up 2 PP goals and one being with around 1.3 seconds left in period is tough.

Our new goalie played really well for his first college game. You know h definitely wants back that first goal he gave up.

Both the men (3-2 over ASU) and women (4-3 over Syracuse) won in OT last night. Men jumped out to a 2-0 lead, ASU obviously scored the next two (had one goal disallowed due to an offsides call), and PSU scored the game winner with a little more than 1 minute left in the OT (since non-conference, a scoreless OT would have just resulted in a tie game). Unlike last year, the (first) OT is 3-on-3. Next game, per MJG-90's preview, is Sunday.

Another OT win for the Lions! Connor MacEachern with Friday's and today's OT winners! PSU fell behind 0-3 in the first 4:14, but fought back to a 4-4 in the 2nd. Following a scoreless 3rd, PSU wins in OT 5-4.

Today’s was Connor McMenamin. I get them confused too.
sweeping-broom-cartoon-up-48589551.jpg

😄 Congratulations!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT