ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Hockey 2020-21

So PSU was back in action earlier today in East Lansing. PSU beat the Spartans 1-0 in regulation, scoring the game winner in the 1st period. Amazingly enough (?), this is PSU's first 1-0 win since making the jump from club to varsity nine years ago (and PSU's first shutout of a B1G opponent since a 4-0 win over OSU back in 2017 or so, I think). Autio was in goal and turned away 23 or so shots; PSU D seemed to play well on the whole and held MSU to a handful of shots in the 3rd (even when MSU pulled their goalie for the extra attacker). I heard from the PxP guys that this was Autio's third shutout for PSU (two last year?).

Game 2 in Munn tomorrow at 3 p.m.

So PSU was back in action earlier today in East Lansing. PSU beat the Spartans 1-0 in regulation, scoring the game winner in the 1st period. Amazingly enough (?), this is PSU's first 1-0 win since making the jump from club to varsity nine years ago (and PSU's first shutout of a B1G opponent since a 4-0 win over OSU back in 2017 or so, I think). Autio was in goal and turned away 23 or so shots; PSU D seemed to play well on the whole and held MSU to a handful of shots in the 3rd (even when MSU pulled their goalie for the extra attacker). I heard from the PxP guys that this was Autio's third shutout for PSU (two last year?).

Game 2 in Munn tomorrow at 3 p.m.

MSU had 13 shots in the first period, 7 in the second and 3 in the third. It was Autio’s third shutout - first against a B1G opponent.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Game 2 @ MSU was a 1-5 UGLY loss. Ok, maybe not as bad as the score would indicate; but, still not pretty! MSU jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first few minutes of the 1st. PSU cut the lead in half on a PP in the 2nd, but MSU got that back off a 5-minute major ending the 2nd 3-1 (and PSU ended the 2nd with 4 minutes of a MSU major). MSU stole another one late in the 3rd and got an empty netter to end it 1-5.

Hoping my guys can keep it going tonight vs ASU. Can't have any let downs. I'd like to see the team boost the offense some. I will take being top 5 in most defensive catagories though.

***BTW This isn't a bragging thread. Just talking hockey. I could be wrong, but something tells me that PSU will surge by the end of the season. I think something is being built at Penn State for the next two seasons.

Last edited:
So, PSU started the series at OSU with a rough 3-6 loss last night. I didn't get to listen to much of the game, but it sounds like OSU did all the little things right. Early 0-2 deficit for the Lions (including an breakaway from the blue line that left Autio in a bad spot very early in the game), pulled within 1 twice. The PxP guys mentioned that OSU's strength is the PP and you'd think that holding them to one (they scored to make it 5-2) would give you a shot at winning. Game 2 tonight at 5:30 - hopefully PSU can pull out the split.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Penn State needs to get more pucks behind the other team's goalie. They had 43 shots on goal plus another 28 that got blocked and who knows how many that went wide or high. At least three clanked iron. And they need to stop giving up careless turnovers in bad positions. Too many breakaways. Finally, it would be nice if the goaltenders would up their game a bit as well. I'm not saying a .940 save percentage. A pedestrian .900 save percentage would probably be enough to win a few more of these games.

Playing much better tonight (Saturday). Ahead 3-1 after two periods. Had a 5 minute power play at the end of the second period, couldn’t convert to bust the game open. Shaky start on D again at the beginning but seems to have improved and Autio is playing WAY better tonight. Fingers crossed for the split.

So, PSU started the series at OSU with a rough 3-6 loss last night. I didn't get to listen to much of the game, but it sounds like OSU did all the little things right. Early 0-2 deficit for the Lions (including an breakaway from the blue line that left Autio in a bad spot very early in the game), pulled within 1 twice. The PxP guys mentioned that OSU's strength is the PP and you'd think that holding them to one (they scored to make it 5-2) would give you a shot at winning. Game 2 tonight at 5:30 - hopefully PSU can pull out the split.

Not sure if any of you follow the women's team, but they are off to their best start ever and could very well win their conference and make the tournament. Earlier this season, they played four in a row against Syracuse (Penn State was 2-26-6 all time against the Orange before this season) and went 2-1-1. This weekend they swept Robert Morris for the first time ever (PSU was 4-23-7 all time against them).

And as I'm typing this, PSU gives up a soft power play goal to OSU and it's now 3-2. How do you let that guy just walk in front of the net like that? Too easy.

Two empty netters in the last 90 seconds salt it away for the 5-2 win!

Really nice effort to improve on last nights dog. That was refreshing to watch after seeing a number of duds this year on my new BTN+ subscription.

Playing much better tonight (Saturday). Ahead 3-1 after two periods. Had a 5 minute power play at the end of the second period, couldn’t convert to bust the game open. Shaky start on D again at the beginning but seems to have improved and Autio is playing WAY better tonight. Fingers crossed for the split.

Last edited:
Really nice effort to improve on last nights dog. That was refreshing to watch after seeing a number of duds this year on my new BTN+ subscription.

Last night was one of those nights. Couldn't get anything behind Nappier (considering the number of shots we put on him). And rang iron at least three times. A break or two and maybe the momentum goes the other way.

Not sure if any of you follow the women's team, but they are off to their best start ever and could very well win their conference and make the tournament. Earlier this season, they played four in a row against Syracuse (Penn State was 2-26-6 all time against the Orange before this season) and went 2-1-1. This weekend they swept Robert Morris for the first time ever (PSU was 4-23-7 all time against them).

And as I'm typing this, PSU gives up a soft power play goal to OSU and it's now 3-2. How do you let that guy just walk in front of the net like that? Too easy.

Yep. Women now have a really good coach/staff and it is beginning to pay dividends.

Yep. Women now have a really good coach/staff and it is beginning to pay dividends.

CHA is like Atlantic Hockey on the men's side -- the worst conference. But it's good news / bad news. Good news is once PSU gets over the hump, it should be able to dominate the conference going forward. Bad news is the competition might not get them ready to compete against the best of the rest.

CHA is like Atlantic Hockey on the men's side -- the worst conference. But it's good news / bad news. Good news is once PSU gets over the hump, it should be able to dominate the conference going forward. Bad news is the competition might not get them ready to compete against the best of the rest.

Good analogy sir.

Kind of like Notre Dame football in the ACC.

;) :);)

True, but that does not takeaway from how good of a coach he is.

True, but that does not takeaway from how good of a coach he is.

Absolutely. I wasn't putting him or the team down. Just adding some insight for anyone here that doesn't follow as closely.

Also worth mentioning how good this freshman class is and really how young the entire team is. Leading scorer is freshman Kiara Zanon and the goalie has been freshman Josie Bothun every game so far. That's just the tip of the iceberg though. This is going to be a really good team very soon.

Also the next six games are against RIT (the next four are against RIT who has scored 4 goals so far in 5 games) and Lindenwood (0-6 all losses to PSU(2) and Robert Morris (4) - the team Penn State just swept). There is a strong possibility this team gets to 12-1-1 before closing with two more against RMU and four against Mercyhurst (#10 in the last poll).

Last edited:
Just tuned in to Game 1 of MSU @ PSU in time to hear PSU tie the game 2-2 with 70 seconds left off an 6-on-4. Going to OT.

PSU just scored to win 3-2 30 seconds into OT lol. PxP guys mentioned under new B1G rules, PSU gets 2 points and MSU gets 1 (counts as tie for NCAA, I think). That must be a change for this season, as through last year a win in the first OT counted as a full win (at least for conference points).

[TBH, forgot game was on and watched the first two episodes of WandaVision with the fam... interesting...]

Just tuned in to Game 1 of MSU @ PSU in time to hear PSU tie the game 2-2 with 70 seconds left off an 6-on-4. Going to OT.

PSU just scored to win 3-2 30 seconds into OT lol. PxP guys mentioned under new B1G rules, PSU gets 2 points and MSU gets 1 (counts as tie for NCAA, I think). That must be a change for this season, as through last year a win in the first OT counted as a full win (at least for conference points).

[TBH, forgot game was on and watched the first two episodes of WandaVision with the fam... interesting...]
Wasn’t on TV

Reactions: TheGLOV
It was on BTN+. Same tomorrow. MSUs goals were both flukey. Both went in off PSU players. The second was a centering pass to nobody from behind the net that hit off Talvitie’s skate and went in. Frustrating game until the end.

Congratulations! Winning tight games will pay off late in the season when we all will be playing play-off hockey.

My Gophers are not playing the best hockey as of late. We have lost two of the last three games. after being 10 and 0. I knew they'd eventually drop a few games. I just hate losing to Wisconsin and ND. Hopefully the team comes out on fire and takes it to ND.

Hockey wins a pretty convincing 3-1 decision over the Spartans on Saturday afternoon to take a jump up in the B10 standings. it really wasn’t that close. Oskar A. Is definitely playing a more confident game in net although MSU is no offensive juggernaut. Now 7-2 after starting 0-5. We should get a good gauge on how far this team has come when Wisconsin comes to town at the end of the week. Doubt we’ll make a real push this year but the tourney isn’t yet out of reach yet. Young players maturing all over the ice. The future is bright.

Congratulations! Winning tight games will pay off late in the season when we all will be playing play-off hockey.

My Gophers are not playing the best hockey as of late. We have lost two of the last three games. after being 10 and 0. I knew they'd eventually drop a few games. I just hate losing to Wisconsin and ND. Hopefully the team comes out on fire and takes it to ND.

12 of the 50 goals team has given up have been PPG. Absolute must to stay out of the box.
G and D are team weaknesses this season, but team is pretty young. This team will rise again.

Last edited:
12 of the 50 goals team has given up have been PPG. Absolute must to stay out of the box.
G and D are team weaknesses this season, but team is pretty young. This team will rise again.

Autio has been fantastic over his last 8 or so starts. The defense isn’t great. But some of that is the product of trying to get up ice quickly. Sometimes they go too quickly and get hung out to dry.

The PK this season hasn’t been nearly good enough. That’s definitely been a problem.

A bigger problem has been shooting percentage. Yesterday PSU had 46 shots on goal. And only got one goal. That’s barely 2%. Need

Autio has been fantastic over his last 8 or so starts. The defense isn’t great. But some of that is the product of trying to get up ice quickly. Sometimes they go too quickly and get hung out to dry.

The PK this season hasn’t been nearly good enough. That’s definitely been a problem.

A bigger problem has been shooting percentage. Yesterday PSU had 46 shots on goal. And only got one goal. That’s barely 2%. Need

Audio has honestly exceeded my expectations, but he is not an elite college goalie (not that the team has ever had one). Jones was elite at times but never could maintain that consistency. Though I am sure I am not alone in wondering how this team would have performed as B1G #1 seed headed into postseason last year. Sigh.

I know Guy was really excited to get Souliere. He has not looked as good as I hoped, even though a FR. If he can develop into what Guy thinks he can, we will be really good in G down the road. If not, well that will stink and Guy is going to need to find a way to finally snag an elite G.

HUGE start to the Friday night game against Wisconsin.... absolutely smothering right now. Lions up 2-0 in the first half of the period and outshooting the Badgers 10-1 at one point.
First goal was beautiful passing, second goal was a fluke from behind the net but TONS of quality chances. Why does this team only show up about every third game?

Talivitie with a wicked wrister on the power play to make it 3-0 with 4 minutes to go in the first!

HUGE start to the Friday night game against Wisconsin.... absolutely smothering right now. Lions up 2-0 in the first half of the period and outshooting the Badgers 10-1 at one point.
First goal was beautiful passing, second goal was a fluke from behind the net but TONS of quality chances. Why does this team only show up about every third game?

Badgers on a tear now have cut it to 4-3 with seven and a half left. hang in guys, ice is tilted in the wrong direction right now.

4-1 good guys end of the second period. Wisconsin on a power play to end the period. Minute and a half remaining to start the third.

Empty netter puts the Lions up 5-3 with 1:34 left, Badgers cut it to 5-4 with 42 seconds left.

LIONS HANG ON TO WIN 5-4. THAT WAS A NERVE RACKING THIRD PERIOD!!!!

Thanks for the updates.

I didn’t watch the game yet so no analysis but I’ll point out that a couple records were tied. Conor McMenamin had a goal and 4 assists for five points. His four assists tied Andrew Sturtz and Alex Limoges for the single game record. His five points ties Sturtz for that single game mark.

SIAP. I guess here is as good a place as any. Looks like all of our teams play in the conference tourney.

Conference champ must get a bye.

BigTen Tourney

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT