ADVERTISEMENT

PATERNO on HBO. Tonight at 8:00 pm ET (official thread)

I've never been a Scott Paterno fan but if its true that he's the one that supplied his dad with the "In hindsigh..." line
the rest of the Paterno siblings should slap the crap out of him.
Agree. The "With the benefit of hindsight...." line is innocent enough but most people choose to take it as an admission of prior knowledge when it is in fact the opposite. It's like saying, "If I knew then what I know now.." If I say, "With the benefit of hindsight, I never would have married my ex-wife", it's like saying, "If I knew then what I know now, I never would have married my ex-wife". It is NOT saying, "I knew my ex-wife was an idiot but I married her anyway".

Scott Paterno does need his ass kicked if he came up with the "hindsight" line. The BoT teed Joe up as a scapegoat and anything he said would have been received in the worst possible way.

I bet this movie cements Ganim’s job at CNN in which the Pulitzer Prize winner does virtually nothing that I can see.
I thought I saw her reporting on a storm this winter. It was cold. She wore a coat and held a mic. Maybe said something about weather...

Haven’t see the movie yet. Dvr’d it—just like that Michigan mauling two seasons ago (the one with no linebackers, ejection, run-up score, same run-play a zillion times...). Could have watched it. Asked why I’d spend time on something that’d upset me. Then I deleted it unwatched when I needed recording space. We’ll see what I do with this.

Agree. The "With the benefit of hindsight...." line is innocent enough but most people choose to take it as an admission of prior knowledge when it is in fact the opposite. It's like saying, "If I knew then what I know now.." If I say, "With the benefit of hindsight, I never would have married my ex-wife", it's like saying, "If I knew then what I know now, I never would have married my ex-wife". It is NOT saying, "I knew my ex-wife was an idiot but I married her anyway".

Scott Paterno does need his ass kicked if he came up with the "hindsight" line. The BoT teed Joe up as a scapegoat and anything he said would have been received in the worst possible way.
I knew your ex-wife was an idiot!

Just kidding. Talk about a tee-up. No offense.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I think it was presented in the movie as Joe's words. The family criticized Joe as that being an admission of guilt. McGinn and family may have added the hindsight part.

I recall from Poznanski's book that Guido tried to talk Joe out of saying that, that it would be misinterpreted and used against him. Joe didn't see it that way, as he knew he was being sincere and genuine.

Btw, did Posnanski take an active role in consulting for this film? Or did they just use the book as a cover for objectivity and rely on Ganim's Pulitzer-worthy :rolleyes: input?
If Posnanski was active, it seems to be a departure from his defense of Joe in the book and afterwards (other than saying the over-used 'he could have done more' line from 2012).

If I recall, Posnanski had access to everything - meetings, family, staff, AD office, Joe's notes..... and concluded there was nothing nefarious about what they did back in '01.

You knew she was an idiot and didn't tell me?? Thanks a lot. You wasted eight years of my life jerk. :mad:
Yeah, I hate me for it too! You deserved better and I’m sorry.

If it helps, you chose wisely in your screen name. That one is a keeper! Love...a bit more of a crap shoot.

I think @towny87.1 actually offers the best explanation.

Mike had a standing offer from Joe to come back as a coach whenever he'd like. Guessing LJ misinterpreted this as a quid pro quo arrangement, but Joe's offer predated the 2001 incident by about 3 years. Larry jumped the gun and ran with his imagination on this one. Great timing, Larry.

I think @towny87.1 actually offers the best explanation.

Mike had a standing offer from Joe to come back as a coach whenever he'd like. Guessing LJ misinterpreted this as a quid pro quo arrangement, but Joe's offer predated the 2001 incident by about 3 years. Larry jumped the gun and ran with his imagination on this one. Great timing, Larry.
Ya know that head-slap people do to themselves when they can’t believe the stupidity in front of them? Have like a million people just done that?

Reactions: Bob78 and BBrown
I've never been a Scott Paterno fan but if its true that he's the one that supplied his dad with the "In hindsigh..." line
the rest of the Paterno siblings should slap the crap out of him.

Certainly not defending Scott, but you have to keep that statement by Joe in context. When he said that the grand jury presentment was fresh from being leaked and Joe had just "learned" that MM had witnessed anal intercourse.

Certainly not defending Scott, but you have to keep that statement by Joe in context. When he said that the grand jury presentment was fresh from being leaked and Joe had just "learned" that MM had witnessed anal intercourse.

I remember reading that more than a few people Guido, being one of them, wanted nothing to do with that line and knew that it would be misconstrued. I think it might have been in the John Bacon book.

Reactions: Bob78
Of course not all hugs are sexual. I would guess that pretty damn close to 100% of naked hugs are sexual though.

Na not sexual when you’re naked in a shower with a young boy. Any parent would be cool with a naked adult man hugging their naked young son in a shower. Apparently psugisher sees nothing wrong with that or slow to react leaders in charge failing miserably. I guess he thinks Sandusky fooled everyone. No one to blame here. Just a bad break for the kids being raped.

Na not sexual when you’re naked in a shower with a young boy. Any parent would be cool with a naked adult man hugging their naked young son in a shower. Apparently psugisher sees nothing wrong with that or slow to react leaders in charge failing miserably. I guess he thinks Sandusky fooled everyone. No one to blame here. Just a bad break for the kids being raped.

Dude, your clownish behavior is getting old.

Haha.. who's the drama queen again? Ask CPS, law enforcement and the Second Mile what they thought. Your act is tired..

Do you wear clothes in the shower?

All this stuff runs together over time,so please correct me if I’m wrong. Didn’t Sandusky admitting to hugging a child while both were naked in the shower in the ‘98 episode?

How in God's name was this not seen by EVERYONE who knew about it as an issue? Beyond the possibility the story sounds invented, (at best), what grown man "hugs" a boy in the shower while both are naked? How can this possibly be ignored as "normal" behavior?

How in God's name was this not seen by EVERYONE who knew about it as an issue? Beyond the possibility the story sounds invented, (at best), what grown man "hugs" a boy in the shower while both are naked? How can this possibly be ignored as "normal" behavior?

An excellent question. How could an experienced DA:
1.) without interviewing the victim
2.) without interviewing sandusky
3.) without consulting with anyone else in his office

make a decision to drop this case?

It's a fair question. Being in the community shower naked isn't indecent exposure and not all hugs are sexual.. there has to be some sexual intent.. even if Sandusky was just looking at the child's genitals or having a sexual conversation but none of that was stated to occurr.

I played grade school and high school sports, play racquetball still and work out daily at the gym. I've used "community showers" for 40 years and have NEVER seen two men hugging while showering, much less an adult and a child. How much rationalization takes place for anyone to wonder if there was sexual intent?

I guess I'd ask all of you one question; what would you do if your son told you one of his coaches had showered with him and hugged him?

Last edited:
I played grade school and high school sports, play racquetball still and work out daily at the gym. I've used "community showers" for 40 years and have NEVER seen two men hugging while showering, much less an adult and a child. How much rationalization takes place for anyone to wonder if there was sexual intent?

I guess I'd ask all of you one question; what would you do if your son told you one of his coaches had showered with him and hugged him?
Tell the football coach?

Well that's not really an analogous situation. My kids would never be in that situation.

If I walked in on such a situation, I would make sure the kid was OK and then call the police. I wouldn't call the head coach.

Not about the movie, but John Ricciutti just tweeted this interview with Joe McGettigan:

Who is this Ziegler you reference?
usc-arrest.jpg

Well that's not really an analogous situation. My kids would never be in that situation.

If I walked in on such a situation, I would make sure the kid was OK and then call the police. I wouldn't call the head coach.
I doubt you would if it would hurt your idol...at least it seems that way. You make things up about Spanier not reading someting....simply make it up. Then you get upset by people saying Jerry was getting naked with little boys, like this is somehow wrong to say about Jerry and those people are just mean for stating what Jerry did. You're so FOS and you got picked apart by LT Young in a bad way.

Last edited:

Probably call child protective services or police.. both were involved with the same exact scenario in 1998.. what did they think? Ask them.. they are the experts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT