ADVERTISEMENT

PATERNO on HBO. Tonight at 8:00 pm ET (official thread)

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
The McAndrew Board is going to be flooded with people from all over the country checking in to see our reactions to "Paterno" on HBO tonight. Figured it might be helpful to get them started with a few preemptive facts before the disaster goes live at 8:00 pm.

Last edited:
For those of you without subscriptions, HBO will give you a free one-month trial. You can do it through your cable provider or just sign up for the streaming service at HBONOW.com.

And then call them tomorrow and tell them to cancel your subscription ASAP because of that terrible hit job on Paterno.

http://www.HBONOW.com

For those of you without subscriptions, HBO will give you a free one-month trial. You can do it through your cable provider or just sign up for the streaming service at HBONOW.com.

And then call them tomorrow and tell them to cancel your subscription ASAP because of that terrible hit job on Paterno.

http://www.HBONOW.com
No thanks. I'd rather shove a pencil into my eyeball.

Chi you are like the boards PR office. We may disagree on things but you do a good job keeping e ertone up to date.
Figure this is the last major event that will shape public opinion (other than Mike's eventual book or movie deal, of course), so we might as well face it head on. Social media will be a runaway train of public outrage, so hopefully we can pump the brakes on that and introduce a small dose of reality. I sincerely hope Mike gets to set the record straight with the OAG one day.

I hope they all get to set the record straight someday.
No matter how it is all laid out, I think it looks bad on Mike McQueary.

Reactions: Bob78
Let's face it, politics aside, Joe was seen by some as a last bastion of a patriarchal society so destroying his legacy is just too good an opportunity to not capitalize on. As Penn State makes its way out of the abyss, they are taking one last shot.. not sure if the facts matter.

As many of you know, back in the 70's Joe received correspondence demanding he step down before the last two games of the season. The letter indicated it was a "heartbroken father" of a former player. (Too early to be Surma). The threat stated that one of his children(JVP) would be killed if he did not comply. The FBI was involved, the author was never apprehended and likely was a gambler or something.
Regardless, even though the letter threatened the life of his children.....Joe met with staff and asked them all to research and see if there was a former player who might be in dire straights and needed his help.
That ladies and gentleman, is Joe Paterno.

Last edited:
As many of you know, back in the 70's Joe received correspondence demanding he step down before the last two games of the season. The letter indicated it was a "heartbroken father" of a former player. (Too early to be Surma). The threat stated that one of his children(JVP) would be killed if he did not comply. The FBI was involved, the author was never apprehended and likely was a gambler or something.
Regardless, even though the letter threatened the life of his children.....Joe met with staff and asked them all to research and see if there was a former player who might be in dire straights and need help.
That ladies and gentleman, is Joe Paterno.
I knew, I forgot, I am reminded again. Thanks to you my friend Marshall.

Penn State alums generally know the facts -- certainly ones who frequent this message board. So, why watch, and why respond to any outsider comments posted here after the movie is viewed? Anyway, much of my TV viewing is occupied catching up on all season episodes of "Homeland." BTW, I'm in love with Jessica Brody (Morena Baccarin); something about that upper lip!

59567_slideshow_feature_Morena-Baccarin-2.jpg

59a736871ee73.jpg

Penn State alums generally know the facts -- certainly ones who frequent this message board. So, why watch, and why respond to any outsider comments posted here after the movie is viewed? Anyway, much of my TV viewing is occupied catching up on all season episodes of "Homeland." BTW, I'm in love with Jessica Brody (Morena Baccarin); something about that upper lip!

59567_slideshow_feature_Morena-Baccarin-2.jpg

59a736871ee73.jpg

Whoah!!! And yes, she’s awesome. Check out Firefly if you like her and are into space westerns.

Won't be watching. I'll finally follow my moms advice from yesteryear......"Don't waste you time watching such trash like that." Good time to check and sort my small mouth bass lures.

Reactions: step.eng69

Looks like some pro-JVP people were badgering him (in a positive way) about the facts of the saga that were not to be found via a simple Google click.
Looks like he let almost all of that go by without response, which I interpret as him having not been aware of any of those facts prior to inviting questions.
If he comes back and responds after looking into some of those facts, good for him. Not counting on it.... they'll get all kinds of accolades after tonight from the great uninformed, and they'll rest on those laurels.

T-minus 5 minutes! smh

I'll be watching because I know our old guard trustees won't be watching. Unless they're popping bottles of champagne at the viewing party in Old Main. Seriously, do you think anyone will be watching between John Surma, Karen Peetz, Ken Frazier, Paul Suhey, Cynthia Baldwin, Ira Lubert, Rodney Erickson, Tom Poole, Bob Poole, Bruce Heim, Silvis, Eckel, Dambly, Tomalis, etc?

Note: A little disappointed DrunkMackDaddy didn't come up with a drinking game.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
7 minutes to go. Should I? I mean food network has worst cooks on tonight....

Reactions: LionJim
I never heard of greg grunberg but this movie isn't about protecting children, it's about denigrating the legacy of one old man who wasn't perfect but proved that you could be tough and caring at the same time. If it was about child welfare, he would go talk to Corey Feldman about the predators in Hollywood alive today perpetrating the abuse he claims to be fighting against

I never heard of greg grunberg but this movie isn't about protecting children, it's about denigrating the legacy of one old man who wasn't perfect but proved that you could be tough and caring at the same time. If it was about child welfare, he would go talk to Corey Feldman about the predators in Hollywood alive today perpetrating the abuse he claims to be fighting against

His big gig was Heroes.

Let me guess what’s going to happen:

- People who hate PSU are still going to hate PSU

- People who like PSU will still like PSU

- People who are indifferent will still be indifferent

- BWI board is hit with a few Pitt/OSU trolls which will be met with tweets that no one cares about

- This movie will be forgotten by Monday

- JoeBots will find it wildly offensive and bitch whether they watch it or not; Sarah Ganim will be called a whore; JoeBots will rehash the scandal for the 1000th time and end up like a hamster on a wheel

- Ziegler Cultists will say it misses the real story and they will key onto a minuscule issue to say Ziegler is right

- Anyone with half a brain will know no one cares anymore and this is a movie....not a documentary

- Nothing will change

Reactions: IIVI
They're pushing hard on Joe knowing all about 1998 and supporting 2001 decision to not report to DPW/CYS.

ADVERTISEMENT