ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling B1G Tournament -- Session 1 Thread

Team scores of top six. Sorry if already posted.

PSU. 63.5. 7 in semi.
Iowa. 63.5. 6 in
Minny. 51.5. 5 in
OSU. 45.5 5 in
Nebby. 45. 5 in
Mich. 43. 4 in
Rutgers has it going on, they are in the top 14 in the toughest conference tournament in the country. Only 3 out of 13th and 10.5 out of 12th.

Goodale may want to consider going back to recruiting the Big10 wrestling rooms.

Iowa and PSU tied after session 1.

PSU has 7 wrestlers in semifinals and already qualified for NCAAs:

1 RBY vs 5 Ragusin
2 Bartlett vs 3 Hardy
2 Haines vs 3 Coleman
1 Starocci vs 4 O’Reilly
1 Brooks vs 4 Finesilver
1 Dean vs 5 Warner
2 Kervliet vs 3 Cassioppi

PSU also has three wrestlers in the 2nd round of consis; a win there qualifies each for NCAAs (and a loss there eliminates only Steen):

- 10 Steen vs 9 Medley
- 5 SVN vs 14 Reynolds
- 4 Facundo vs 11 South

Iowa has six wrestlers in the semis:

1 Lee vs 5 McKee
1 Woods vs 4 Shahar
4 Murin vs 1 Sasso
3 Kennedy vs 2 Amine
5 Warner vs 1 Dean
3 Cassioppi vs 2 Kerk

In the 2nd round consis, they have:

8 Teske vs 10 Lamont
5 Siebrecht vs 14 North
7 Brands vs 9 Maylor
5 Assad vs 11 Bates
I'm looking for RBY to kick it up a notch against Ragusin. Their match at the BJC was a little flat and unlike RBY.

0Q
I'm looking for RBY to kick it up a notch against Ragusin. Their match at the BJC was a little flat and unlike RBY.
133 is my favorite weight in this tourney. I’ve been high on Nagao all year and adopted him as my favorite non PSU wrestler. Can’t wait to see how he does against Mendez.

Sorry, not sorry. You cannot blame Kerk with nearly 5 minutes of riding time when the dude gets one stall call. Pretty sure, this is nearly unprecedented. That is 100% on officiating. Stand them up, or stall the opponent out. This is nonsense.

You're kidding, right? I doubt very much that anyone on our team has scored more back points than DGK this year. His tilts especially are lights out against most competition.
No, I am not kidding. Kerk turns far lesser competition frequently, I agree, but not so much higher ranked guys. Orndorf is the Pillsbury dough boy. If you can't turn him, then catch & release. Although I admire 5 min of RT, more than a minute doesn't get much without turns other than keeping an inferior wrestler somewhat in the match.

Reactions: BruceK-PSU83
So catch and release instead. That was the point of the post.
Not when one is going for a pin. This situation should have never happened. It never happens in Freestyle. It's exactly why riding has supposedly been addressed in folkstyle.

No, I am not kidding. Kerk turns far lesser competition frequently, I agree, but not so much higher ranked guys. Orndorf is the Pillsbury dough boy. If you can't turn him, then catch & release. Although I admire 5 min of RT, more than a minute doesn't get much without turns other than keeping an inferior wrestler somewhat in the match.
It is not Kerk's job to stop stalling. That is the job of the official. It was disgraceful what was allowed. Furthermore, one stall call? Get real. Do we have rules, or do we not have rules? Orndoff was 265 in high school.

Wow, so much passion/dismay over our Heavyweight's 5th straight 8 or 9 pt MD over the same guy. Catch and release might have put more points on the board, but I bet anything Greg's mindset was "this time, I'm gonna turn this guy." He wasn't able to, but he took care of business and is on track. Next up, beating big Ton in one that really counts . . .

I don't understand, he could do anything he wants to Orndorff other than turn him.
If you listened to the BTN+ feed with crowd noise and coach voices--perhaps with headphones--you may have heard the coach's orders: first, "go to feet;" second "two on one tilt." They are working on an improved variety of offense rather than what'll easily work.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Wow, so much passion/dismay over our Heavyweight's 5th straight 8 or 9 pt MD over the same guy. Catch and release might have put more points on the board, but I bet anything Greg's mindset was "this time, I'm gonna turn this guy." He wasn't able to, but he took care of business and is on track. Next up, beating big Ton in one that really counts . . .
It's not dismay. It's about how this sport is being killed by pathetic refs and a media that hasn't a damn clue. This sport is desperate to grow, or else, it will be gone from the Olympics as well, once again.

This sport needs to market itself properly, and at this point, who is actually doing that? Every sport on TV promotes or highlights its best people. B1G did little of that today. They are clueless in this regard.

Reactions: IndyLion1
It's not dismay. It's about how this sport is being killed by pathetic refs and a media that hasn't a damn clue. This sport is desperate to grow, or else, it will be gone from the Olympics as well, once again.

This sport needs to market itself properly, and at this point, who is actually doing that? Every sport on TV promotes or highlights its best people. B1G did little of that today. They are clueless in this regard.
I'm not saying you're wrong, that Orndorff shoulda been dinged more there, anyway. But we're at the "survive and advance" phase in terms of competition. Greg bonused the guy he was supposed to bonus. Can't ask for all that much more. On to the next.

I feel like tourneys are always a mixed bag of good an less good examples of the sport. That McKee vs. Barnett match was fire.

It's funny. Wrestling fans focus on one boring match and proclaim doom.

Meanwhile, soccer fans think their sport should have more franchises than McDonald's.

Iowa and PSU tied after session 1.

PSU has 7 wrestlers in semifinals and already qualified for NCAAs:

1 RBY vs 5 Ragusin
2 Bartlett vs 3 Hardy
2 Haines vs 3 Coleman
1 Starocci vs 4 O’Reilly
1 Brooks vs 4 Finesilver
1 Dean vs 5 Warner
2 Kervliet vs 3 Cassioppi

PSU also has three wrestlers in the 2nd round of consis; a win there qualifies each for NCAAs (and a loss there eliminates only Steen):

- 10 Steen vs 9 Medley
- 5 SVN vs 14 Reynolds
- 4 Facundo vs 11 South

Iowa has six wrestlers in the semis:

1 Lee vs 5 McKee
1 Woods vs 4 Shahar
4 Murin vs 1 Sasso
3 Kennedy vs 2 Amine
5 Warner vs 1 Dean
3 Cassioppi vs 2 Kerk

In the 2nd round consis, they have:

8 Teske vs 10 Lamont
5 Siebrecht vs 14 North
7 Brands vs 9 Maylor
5 Assad vs 11 Bates
Maybe so with the 7, but remember no one can win Nattys without 8…😜

Reactions: mcpat
Arguing about stalling is pointless, and aruging that the refs aren't calling it even more so. If refs called stalling the way so many fans seem to want it called, you'd all be annoyed that the refs are deciding matches arbitrarily and the outcome should be left up to the wrestlers.

There is no defending this nonsense. Sumo wrestling has more action.

And as someone who watches every Basho in Sumo, it is a fun, fast paced sport. Most matches last only a few seconds, while some can carry on for a few minutes. And for their size, they are agile, mobile and hostile. ;-)
Hakkeyoi!

We keep growing women’s wrestling. That’s the ticket to growing the sport. For both men and women.

It’s a western pa thing, you wouldn’t understand.

I understand.
forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

Reactions: danoftw

What would really kill college wrestling is if it turns into free style.

Everyone keeps saying 5 mins. Which would be a ludicrous amount of riding time except that it was almost 6 mins (5:55 to be exact).

Reactions: JOESTROSSER
What's the format to wrestle for 9th? Is it just the 4 losers of the next consi rd or do guys that are 0-2 still have a shot?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT