ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USPS delays

I'm not sure I follow how you do this Jim? Isn't that allowing them access directly to your checking acct.? If I'm mistaken I'd love to learn how to do this with minimal intrusion from outside parties. It would make things easier!
I'm not sure I follow how you do this Jim? Isn't that allowing them access directly to your checking acct.? If I'm mistaken I'd love to learn how to do this with minimal intrusion from outside parties. It would make things easier!
If you're still a little worried about the process what you could do is have all of your bills Auto paid to a credit card and then have that one credit card statement mailed to your house.

Reactions: LionJim
I had a small package mailed from near Indianapolis to me in Annapolis MD on December 3rd. On December 7th, tracking told me that it had arrived in DES MOINES IOWA--the day USPS had said it would arrive at my home. With no tracking available after that, it finally got to me on December 15th. Somebody's drinking on the job! :mad:
Same here. A package from St Louis to Pa goes to Grand Prairie Tx.

I recently had a package mailed to me from Greenville, South Carolina to my house in NEPA...it managed to go to Providence, RI, Hartford, CT, to Pittsburgh, and finally through Lehigh Valley to my house...that was very efficient!

Reactions: TheGLOV
One of my packages I sent over a week ago from Sarasota to the Jacksonville area is still in transit, something that normally takes 2 days. For 2 days the tracking stated it was in Jacksonville and had a delivery date of yesterday by 9 PM, but was not listed as out for delivery. This morning, it now says it’s in transit, but in St. Augustine. WTF!?

The other package I sent to the Columbus, Ohio area has stated in transit in Cincinnati for the past 3 days. I think USPS is purposefully shifting mail around to make it appear that it is in transit to its delivery point, but it is all a ruse.

Reactions: gslachta
Well, I was just looking at a FedEx package sent to me. Started in Phoenix. Went to Chandler, AZ. Then went back to Phoenix that night. Then to Texas and now Memphis. So FedEx ain't perfect either....

Huh? I'm the guy with the 817 FICO score, remember? Put down the credit card and online payments, and join me in 2005. Maybe you'll learn something.;)
Mines over 830 and I have paid all bills online via Schwab bank for the last 8 years. My net worth is well over 7 figures. Learn to trade maybe you can boost your credit score.

Mines over 830 and I have paid all bills online via Schwab bank for the last 8 years. My net worth is well over 7 figures. Learn to trade maybe you can boost your credit score.
Don’t believe you. Anyone who feels the need to be nasty on a sports board is likely living in his mother’s basement 😂🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Don’t believe you. Anyone who feels the need to be nasty on a sports board is likely a sot living in his mother’s basement 😂🤣
Happily retired in 2014, my parents passed away years ago. I don’t care what you believe. You initiated the nastiness. So ESAD.

We sent 15 of the Priority Mail boxes 8 days ago (yes, cookies to friends and family). To our knowledge, 2 have been received. Would it have been the same if we had shipped bulk rate?
Hmmm, it just occurred to me that, as far as you know, I sent them to each member of this board. Yeah, that's the ticket! Everybody, your cookies are in the mail! Gee, I hope they don't get lost ...

As I asked in the Cookie thread, what do I have to do to get on the Woodpecker cookie distribution list. ;)

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
If you're still a little worried about the process what you could do is have all of your bills Auto paid to a credit card and then have that one credit card statement mailed to your house.
We pay many of our bills through a CC auto system as I believe you note. Paying a credit card bill obviates that opportunity unless you transfer the whole bill to another card, doesn't it?

I agree, paying by CC automatically is a nice feature. We have used that method for a while. It's the CC bill itself that is the sticking point. They want direct (in my understanding) access which is different than what we are doing with auto CC charges unless I'm missing something.

Another poster provided a detailed explanation of how he does it and I need to look at that closely to understand the process he uses. I suppose we are not opposed to bank transfer payments, even with a check that is how it occurs in the end but the thought of an outside company directly accessing our bank accounts with all the computer theft, hacking and the like is our concern. My wife, who writes most of the checks, likes the ability to shift the day payment is made dependent on our balance which makes specifying a payment date a hindrance, although a small one. Probably most of it results from 50 years of writing checks, habit. I recently convince my wife to pay the electric bill by CC, she enjoyed reading the meter ang filling out the form, writing the check and pay to send it. We have a CC that pays us cash back when we pay our bill. Gaining back a small amount vs using a stamp finally won her over, after several skirmishes and a few battles, lol. My logic finally overcame her stubbornness. (she never reads this site!)

With the intent to beat a dead horse unrecognizably since it is now 2 weeks that my wife's meds were delivered to the Cincinnati USPS for a 2 hr trip up I-71 to Sunbury....
Way back in July....as published by BusinessInsider.com:

US postmaster general tells postal workers to leave mail behind if it slows down their route
Tim Levin Jul 14, 2020, 5:47 PM

** The US Postal Service's new postmaster general has established new cost-saving policies that could slow down mail service.
** Mail carriers are being told to leave mail behind at distribution centers rather than taking late trips, extra trips, or logging overtime, according to memos first reported on by The Washington Post and subsequently reviewed by Business Insider.
---------------------------------------
As it struggles to stay afloat during the coronavirus pandemic, the US Postal Service has implemented "difficult" cost-cutting measures that may slow mail delivery, The Washington Post first reported.

The changes, established by new USPS Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, were disseminated Monday in memos viewed by The Post, verified by the American Postal Workers Union, and corroborated by three people with knowledge of the documents who spoke with The Post on the condition of anonymity. Business Insider also obtained and reviewed the memos.

In the documents, DeJoy instructed workers to stop logging overtime and leave mail at distribution centers if it would delay their routes.

"If the plants run late, they will keep the mail for the next day," one of the documents said. "If you get mail late and your carriers are gone and you cannot get the mail out without OT, it will remain for the next day."

The new directive goes against the training postal workers have traditionally received, which says they should avoid leaving letters behind and make sure items are delivered promptly, even if that means making multiple trips, The Post said.

"One aspect of these changes that may be difficult for employees is that — temporarily — we may see mail left behind or mail on the workroom floor or docks," a second memo said, adding that "any mail left behind must be properly reported."

In the same document, USPS said late trips and extra trips — which it estimated cost the agency about $200 million in "added expenses" — were now prohibited.

The cost-cutting policies come as USPS is barely scraping by during the coronavirus pandemic. Despite a vast quantity of package deliveries, overall letter-mail volumes have plummeted since the pandemic began and businesses shuttered. Even with a $10 billion line of credit granted under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, USPS has found itself in dire straits — in May, the agency estimated it could run out of cash by the end of September.

Mark Dimondstein, the president of the American Postal Workers Union, acknowledged USPS's rocky financial position but sharply criticized the new measures — saying they hit at the very core of the agency's mission, which is to "provide prompt, reliable, and efficient service."

"These additional moves by the new postmaster general seem to be sending the opposite message, which is that mail can wait," Dimondstein told Business Insider in a phone call on Tuesday. "It will likely undermine the mission we're dedicated to. And in terms of the people of the country, it will likely lead to slower, less prompt, and less reliable, and really less efficient, service."

When asked about the memos, a spokesperson for USPS told Business Insider the service was "developing a business plan" to remain financially stable, while providing "reliable, affordable, safe and secure delivery of mail, packages and other communications to all Americans as a vital part of the nation's critical infrastructure."

"While the overall plan is not yet finalized, it will certainly include new and creative ways for us to fulfill our mission, and we will focus immediately on efficiency and items that we can control, including adherence to the effective operating plans that we have developed," the spokesperson said.

This story has been updated with comment from the US Postal Service.

Reactions: Sproul
We pay many of our bills through a CC auto system as I believe you note. Paying a credit card bill obviates that opportunity unless you transfer the whole bill to another card, doesn't it?

I agree, paying by CC automatically is a nice feature. We have used that method for a while. It's the CC bill itself that is the sticking point. They want direct (in my understanding) access which is different than what we are doing with auto CC charges unless I'm missing something.

Another poster provided a detailed explanation of how he does it and I need to look at that closely to understand the process he uses. I suppose we are not opposed to bank transfer payments, even with a check that is how it occurs in the end but the thought of an outside company directly accessing our bank accounts with all the computer theft, hacking and the like is our concern. My wife, who writes most of the checks, likes the ability to shift the day payment is made dependent on our balance which makes specifying a payment date a hindrance, although a small one. Probably most of it results from 50 years of writing checks, habit. I recently convince my wife to pay the electric bill by CC, she enjoyed reading the meter ang filling out the form, writing the check and pay to send it. We have a CC that pays us cash back when we pay our bill. Gaining back a small amount vs using a stamp finally won her over, after several skirmishes and a few battles, lol. My logic finally overcame her stubbornness. (she never reads this site!)

That's another added bonus if you can find a credit card that give you a good percentage back. You can auto pay your internet and those type of bills with that credit card and then you need to get your one or 2% cash back.

Curious if others are experiencing major delays. I have never experienced delays like this and it's not greeting cards as they are flowing fine. Talking packages, including mailorder pharmacy medicines. I'm just NE outside of Columbus OH.
1. A package I ordered, shipped 1st class, was at the Ballston NY PO on Dec 1 and currently is sitting in Rochester since Dec 4.
2. A package I shipped to go to Annandale VA, book rate, went Dec 7 to Cincinnati and departed Pittsburgh Dec 14 at 1am with no further update. Frankly I didn't expect much with book rate but it is moving faster than 1st class mail.
3. A prescription from a mail order Pharmacy in Cincinnati was delivered to the Cincinnati PO on Dec 7, where it remains at this time.

I don't care about 1 and 2, but the prescription IS a major issue.

The USPS says this: ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.

I do understand the dilemma that they face. People not visiting so mailing packages instead, but there seems to be some issues with priority.
Also, this is all BEFORE the recent nor'easter came along.
Perhaps, a bit of an answer to my own post...my son called before I got this posted and he thinks the distribution of vaccines is contributing to this.
And to think that some of our esteemed politicians want to add personal banking to the usps business portfolio! That would be fun to watch

That's another added bonus if you can find a credit card that give you a good percentage back. You can auto pay your internet and those type of bills with that credit card and then you need to get your one or 2% cash back.

If you aren’t churning credit cards, you’re missing out. Chase southwest card is giving 80,000 points for spending $2000 in the first 2 months. I referred my wife for 10,000 more points, got the card, went to the gas station, bought $2000 in visa gift cards, took those to giant and bought $2000 in money orders, made them out to
Myself, deposited them. 90,000 points in 2 weeks. Cancel the card, can do it again in 18 months. You can work this on 5 cards at once, more one you get skilled.

And to think that some of our esteemed politicians want to add personal banking to the usps business portfolio! That would be fun to watch
That's actually common in Europe. There was a time when the US had a postal savings program too (though not a bank, per se).

If you aren’t churning credit cards, you’re missing out. Chase southwest card is giving 80,000 points for spending $2000 in the first 2 months. I referred my wife for 10,000 more points, got the card, went to the gas station, bought $2000 in visa gift cards, took those to giant and bought $2000 in money orders, made them out to
Myself, deposited them. 90,000 points in 2 weeks. Cancel the card, can do it again in 18 months. You can work this on 5 cards at once, more one you get skilled.
We have not done anything like that--but have flown free to Europe a few times using miles gained with a card (both Delta and American)--and gotten a couple free football weekends at Penn State using Marriott points (though this is not as easy as it used to be). Stayed 3 nights in Bologna last year free the same way. There has been major points inflation at Delta, however, so this is not the deal it once was. It can be challenging to use the miles though. It's not the European leg that's the issue, surprisingly. It's getting in and out of Columbus to the gateway city that's the challenge. Two examples--we had an 8 hour layover in Cincy on our way back from Paris in 2005 and last years trip to Italy required us to stay overnight in Philly on our way home.

We have not done anything like that--but have flown free to Europe a few times using miles gained with a card (both Delta and American)--and gotten a couple free football weekends at Penn State using Marriott points (though this is not as easy as it used to be). Stayed 3 nights in Bologna last year free the same way. There has been major points inflation at Delta, however, so this is not the deal it once was. It can be challenging to use the miles though. It's not the European leg that's the issue, surprisingly. It's getting in and out of Columbus to the gateway city that's the challenge. Two examples--we had an 8 hour layover in Cincy on our way back from Paris in 2005 and last years trip to Italy required us to stay overnight in Philly on our way home.
Ever since Skybust flamed out of Columbus, getting flights in and out of Columbus has been not been a great experience. There are almost no direct flights anymore and last I knew the amount of flights from Port Columbus is about 75% of what it used to be. It has the most limited air service for the size of metro area in the US.

Picking up the thread again, I currently have two packages on their way to me in Central Ohio (I ordered some MiLB stuff). The first was from the Ironpigs. It started in Allentown and then went to the distribution center in Jacksonville FL(!). The second was from Williamsport. It first went to Lancaster and then to Harrisburg. I'm baffled.

Picking up the thread again, I currently have two packages on their way to me in Central Ohio (I ordered some MiLB stuff). The first was from the Ironpigs. It started in Allentown and then went to the distribution center in Jacksonville FL(!). The second was from Williamsport. It first went to Lancaster and then to Harrisburg. I'm baffled.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
It is called shifting around responsibility. I truly believe some of the locations got so overwhelmed that they would just send a load of packages to a random location just to lighten their load.

From my earlier post, the one package I sent to St. Augustine from Sarasota took 10 days - normally 2-3 days. The package I sent to Powell, Ohio took over 2 weeks and sat in a Cincinnati facility for 3 days before traveling to Columbus where it sat for 2 more days after a day of travel. From there it took 2 more days to be delivered through the Powell post office.

It's the same as posting on Facebook your name, address, phone number, your bank, routing number, account number and your signature. What could possibly go wrong.

I keep telling people this same thing. Passing around personal checks is the least secure method of paying. When I was in the army, I was shocked how many soldiers had their social security number printed on the check too (anywhere on base required your ss number, I just wrote it on the check for that purpose).

They want direct (in my understanding) access which is different than what we are doing with auto CC charges unless I'm missing something.

They do have your info, but what do you think they could do with it? You have to authorize every payment. They can't just take your money. And as mentioned above, and by others, online payment is probably the most secure way to pay.

Curious if others are experiencing major delays. I have never experienced delays like this and it's not greeting cards as they are flowing fine. Talking packages, including mailorder pharmacy medicines. I'm just NE outside of Columbus OH.
1. A package I ordered, shipped 1st class, was at the Ballston NY PO on Dec 1 and currently is sitting in Rochester since Dec 4.
2. A package I shipped to go to Annandale VA, book rate, went Dec 7 to Cincinnati and departed Pittsburgh Dec 14 at 1am with no further update. Frankly I didn't expect much with book rate but it is moving faster than 1st class mail.
3. A prescription from a mail order Pharmacy in Cincinnati was delivered to the Cincinnati PO on Dec 7, where it remains at this time.

The USPS says this: ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.

I do understand the dilemma that they face. People not visiting so mailing packages instead, but there seems to be some issues with priority.
Perhaps, a bit of an answer to my own post...my son called before I got this posted and he thinks the distribution of vaccines is contributing to this.
I just go a Christmas Card, mailed from Minnesota on Dec. 1.

Ordered albums for my son for Christmas on 12/1. Weren’t picked up for delivery intil
12/27. Supposed to be delivered today, of course no albums.

Mailed my credit card payment 2 1/2 weeks ago and they have not received it yet

My Dec Mastercard statement had a late fee & interest charges, first time ever. They got reversed when I called in.

I mailed a letter to a friend in Westerville OH on 12/20, it was received 12/31.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
My Dec Mastercard statement had a late fee & interest charges, first time ever. They got reversed when I called in.

I mailed a letter to a friend in Westerville OH on 12/20, it was received 12/31.
We had a similar experience. We are still waiting for last months CC bill. I went online and printed it out and paid but it hasn't posted yet, sent 12/27. The USPS has some issues to explain and the CC companies had better wake up if they can't get a bill to you until it's due.

The amount of folks who still send cc payments through the mail amazes me. Not to rehash where this thread has already gone, but seriously - set up electronic payments already. You’re online to be on this board anyway - why not take 15 minutes and get it all squared away? And if you have a smartphone it’s highly likely that your cc company has an app that you can use making it even easier. Besides gifts I can’t remember the last time I wrote a check - and even that was several years ago since most folks prefer preloaded visa cards or things like venmo.

Last edited:
Just now read this. No, what happens is that you give the bank the billing information, not the other way around. The bank has all this information about the companies (you can actually pick the company out of a list) and pays the bill. “Bank of LionJim is paying account 3424. Have a good day.”

I actually do it the other way around for my mortgage.

If I’m wrong, we’ll know soon enough.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Until today, the only shipping issues I’ve had was with two different FedEx packages that seemed to have been transported by wagon train.

Today, I received a postcard that was postmarked Dec 2nd. It was mailed from State College to State College.

The amount of folks who still send cc payments through the mail amazes me. Not to rehash where this thread has already gone, but seriously - set up electronic payments already. You’re online to be on this board anyway - why not take 15 minutes and get it all squared away? And if you have a smartphone it’s highly likely that your cc company has an app that you can use making it even easier. Besides gifts I can’t remember the last time I wrote a check - and even that was several years ago since most folks prefer preloaded visa cards or things like venmo.
It takes me less than 3 minutes to pay my bills every month ... on my phone.
I write one check a month to the woman who cleans my house, and she makes me make it out to cash for some reason.

Reactions: TheGLOV and PS4814
Against my better judgement, I ordered stamps from the USPS (I collect). Left it's point of origin in Kansas City, MO yesterday morning and has been going west ever since. Sometimes I think I'd be better off not knowing the tracking information.

Reactions: 76-1
Against my better judgement, I ordered stamps from the USPS (I collect). Left it's point of origin in Kansas City, MO yesterday morning and has been going west ever since. Sometimes I think I'd be better off not knowing the tracking information.
Missed that left turn at Albuquerque... ;) ;)

I collect too, BTW--but Germany. My sig pic is in Heidelberg, where we were at a show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT