ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USPS delays

I missed this thread before but my story...

A client in Broomall mailed a check to me in State College on January 4 or 5. It is postmarked in Philly on January 5. It was postmarked again in Johnstown on February 12 (!) and delivered to me in State College on February 18.

Packages seem to be faring somewhat better but I get virtually no mail at my office anymore which is *very* odd.

The pinball action between processing centers here seems to have abated, but packages have acquired the habit of sitting in one place for an inordinate amount of time. It's gotten to the point that I no longer rail at my local post office, which has been abysmal for years.

What I have found is that packages frequently take much longer to be dispatched by sellers. Either business must be good or they have staffing issues or a combination of both.

I recently ordered a CPU replacement fan for my computer on eBay. It was to have been delivered by USPS in four days. Got it yesterday after thirteen days. Following the tracking number was very frustrating. It took five days for it to travel from the processing center in Oakland, CA to the processing center in Los Angeles. It took another four days for it to get from L.A. to my home in St. Louis. I'm pissed, but complaints to government bureaucracies are pointless.

Not a particular fan of DeJoy but the Post Office is in need of radical reform. it's overstaffed, behind technology by decades, strangled by union contract restrictions. Every conceivable idea should be explored -- including hiring/partnering with Amazon to build them a logistics system. But every conceivable reform will be opposed by the postal unions -- you can count on it.

But really people's package misery is all shippers, not just USPS. The volume of packages is so huge that whenever there's a breakdown the system has no capacity to pick up the slack.

I sent a package last week via FedEx 2-day, but the giant Fedex hub in Memphis was essentially shut down by a freak snowstorm, so nothing could fly -- it pushed everything to FedEx ground. Package got delivered but it took 10 days.

Reactions: bison13
Must be the CD ......."Music From Around The World"

You'll be lucky if only the case is cracked with all the handling that is getting.

:)

Sometimes when you buy a CD from the artist's website, you'll get an autographed CD. Perhaps the CDs are manufactured in NYC, shipped to LA for the artist to autograph, and then shipped to me. ;)

This is the first time I've had problems with a USPS package. I buy a good number postcards and other local history collectibles online. Letters on the other hand have been an issue since the summer.

Ordered something in early February for Valentine's day. A week after Valentine's day had not even left the manufacturer's site. We called up the manufacturer and they said that USPS never came to get it and that was for multiple items. We just cancelled the order.

Not a particular fan of DeJoy but the Post Office is in need of radical reform. it's overstaffed, behind technology by decades, strangled by union contract restrictions. Every conceivable idea should be explored -- including hiring/partnering with Amazon to build them a logistics system. But every conceivable reform will be opposed by the postal unions -- you can count on it.

But really people's package misery is all shippers, not just USPS. The volume of packages is so huge that whenever there's a breakdown the system has no capacity to pick up the slack.

I sent a package last week via FedEx 2-day, but the giant Fedex hub in Memphis was essentially shut down by a freak snowstorm, so nothing could fly -- it pushed everything to FedEx ground. Package got delivered but it took 10 days.
I've been saying this for years. I'm in logistics and it should be blatantly obvious to anybody in the DOT that I do not need the USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL and everybody else in the country with a 28' box truck driving by my house, not once but multiple times during the day. I don't have the energy or the connections to do it, but there is a lot of money to be saved in there, not to mention the carbon footprint that you would think the government would be all over.

I've been saying this for years. I'm in logistics and it should be blatantly obvious to anybody in the DOT that I do not need the USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL and everybody else in the country with a 28' box truck driving by my house, not once but multiple times during the day. I don't have the energy or the connections to do it, but there is a lot of money to be saved in there, not to mention the carbon footprint that you would think the government would be all over.

One day back in July when I was still working from home, I kept a computer tab open tracking my one UPS package on the day of delivery map. It was insane. As if they were pulling addresses out of a bag to determine the delivery order.

simple start is to close about 50% of the postal offices. I think I can goto about 10 post offices within 15 minutes of my house, why? sell off those brick and mortar post offices as people can ship so many ways and can drive a little farther to do it. Goto delivery 4 days per week instead of 6 as nobody needs mail every day anymore. Do those two things alone and you could cut staffing by 33% and become solvent.

simple start is to close about 50% of the postal offices. I think I can goto about 10 post offices within 15 minutes of my house, why? sell off those brick and mortar post offices as people can ship so many ways and can drive a little farther to do it. Goto delivery 4 days per week instead of 6 as nobody needs mail every day anymore. Do those two things alone and you could cut staffing by 33% and become solvent.
Instead of any of that they’ve destroyed hundreds of letter sorting machines, eliminated overtime opportunities, instituted a hiring freeze, are eliminating 17 of the 67 regional sorting facilities and trying to cut staff through early retirement promotions. So let’s get this straight, they’re massively behind with letters and packages piling up, so let’s reduce the workforce and that’ll somehow solve the problems.

Reactions: Sproul
I had a letter sent to me from Belgium on Feb 16. It got to the US on Feb 20th (bar code on envelope). It then popped up in my "Informed Delivery" queue on February 24 (that's how I know about it and when it got to the US). As of March 5, it still hasn't come.:mad:

For those who don't know, USPS is scanning most letter mail and you can sign up for a program that lets you see it in advance--Informed Delivery. I recommend it.

USPS has been poor about international mail. I had another letter that the USPS sent back because they "could not find the address". But it used the Zip+4, which lets you know where the address is down to the side of the street level. Now the writing was a little challenging--but if you are close enough to the right side of the street, you;d think they could find you. And don't get me started on registered letters from overseas. USPS treats them as regular mail once they get here--with the result that they are often stolen. Canada Post will not allow their customers to send registered mail to the US. And to think that a museum once used Registered Mail to ship the Hope Diamond because it was so safe.

I ordered a CD from the artist's website. On Feb 26th it left NYC. March 3rd it arrived in LA. March 4th it arrived at Carson, CA.

I live in State College, PA.

Next stop Honolulu?

:rolleyes:

Finally got the CDs today. I was actually mistaken, On Feb 26th it left NYC. and it arrived in LA on Feb 28th. March 4th it arrived at Carson, CA., which means it took four days to go less than 30 miles. I’ve heard that
A traffic is bad, but sheesh.

I agree and have thought for years that I do not, nor to many individuals need daily mail service. Why not two or three times a week, or once a week, I have no magic number but given the lack of received mail most days and then large amounts on a single day we could consolidate and save money and time. Route the deliveries on certain days, you expect a delivery on your day/s. I don't see a down side. For businesses, they would need to be different schedules but for individual accounts, once or twice a week is plenty for us. Any one else consider this adjustment? Pro's or cons on the idea?

Reactions: TheGLOV
The father of one of my baseball players works at one of the big post offices in Baltimore. The argument that they are understaffed is false. The real reason for the mess is that they cannot fire people who sit in there and do nothing all day. Some of the stories he tells about carriers who don't even get two blocks of the city mail delivered in 5 hours are crazy.

I just got one of my VA prescriptions yesterday. Mailed from MA, it somehow went to Washington DC before coming here- it took 2 1/2 weeks for the journey. I will say this has never happened before, so either it's an outlier (which is what I expect it is) or the service has gotten worse and needs new leadership.

I just got one of my VA prescriptions yesterday. Mailed from MA, it somehow went to Washington DC before coming here- it took 2 1/2 weeks for the journey. I will say this has never happened before, so either it's an outlier (which is what I expect it is) or the service has gotten worse and needs new leadership.

I've actually had similar experiences pre-pandemic, but they never took that long to rectify. Usually added a day or two to delivery time.

What I find more annoying than the misdirection are packages that sit at USPS depots, some nearby, for days.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I agree and have thought for years that I do not, nor to many individuals need daily mail service. Why not two or three times a week, or once a week, I have no magic number but given the lack of received mail most days and then large amounts on a single day we could consolidate and save money and time. Route the deliveries on certain days, you expect a delivery on your day/s. I don't see a down side. For businesses, they would need to be different schedules but for individual accounts, once or twice a week is plenty for us. Any one else consider this adjustment? Pro's or cons on the idea?

I'm waiting for you and you know where!

;) :) ;)

Batter-up!

Interesting that about a month or two ago UPS eliminated the details of their tracking history. Guess they don't want people to know how long packages are sitting at a particular location. Previously they were very good at moving things out, not necessarily in the right direction, but packages moved.

UPS is so bad. I got my order that came from another country faster than the UPS order in the USA. I have ordered something on eBay from Germany and a new graphics card using USPS on the same day. I was constantly checking the package tracker of both orders, and I was shocked how fast is moving the parcel from Germany. I even got it faster than the graphic card. I don't understand how it is possible to get a parcel faster from another continent than a parcel delivered five hundred miles apart. This shows how bad USPS is.

Last edited:
USPS has gotten much worse again. I ordered a book online from a bookstore in Charlottesville, VA, which I have done numerous times with no issues. I live in WV only four and half hours from said bookstore. The book has not arrived yet and it has been 8 days since ordering it. The tracker said it was sent from Charlottesville VA to Greensboro, NC, then to Washington D.C. distribution and it is still there. I might as well have driven the four and half hours to the bookstore and bought it and drove back home...sigh....

I had an similar experience with t he Philadelphia distribution center. Anything going through there seems to sit for a week to 10 days. I’m still waiting for a book they received on June 3. The tracking number finally showed some movement yesterday so we will see. Amazon promised delivery two days ago and says they will cancel the order and issue a refund if I want but I still want the book. It’s awful and hasn’t improved.

Reactions: Nittanyfarmer
I've posted before on this subject, maybe in this thread. It's a human resources problem. These companies cannot get enough people to work. The least attractive jobs are going unfilled - package handlers, truck drivers, restauarant workers. My company is going through this across the country. For those who will work, if the business across the street is paying $.25 per hour more, they are gone.

Agree on the lack of improvement. Some things seem to move OK, others are glacial in speed.

Had a friend order something online that was shipped from TN on April 15 or so. Tracking claimed it was delivered April 19 but it didn't actually show up until like June 3 - so it appears the tracking is useless too as they just mark it delivered when it's still six weeks out.

Agree on the lack of improvement. Some things seem to move OK, others are glacial in speed.

Had a friend order something online that was shipped from TN on April 15 or so. Tracking claimed it was delivered April 19 but it didn't actually show up until like June 3 - so it appears the tracking is useless too as they just mark it delivered when it's still six weeks out.
It is possible it was delivered--to an incorrect address (thus showing up on tracking)--and then went back into the system.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Instead of any of that they’ve destroyed hundreds of letter sorting machines, eliminated overtime opportunities, instituted a hiring freeze, are eliminating 17 of the 67 regional sorting facilities and trying to cut staff through early retirement promotions. So let’s get this straight, they’re massively behind with letters and packages piling up, so let’s reduce the workforce and that’ll somehow solve the problems.

You missed the point. The post office has several distinct functions: accept items, move items around the country, and deliver those items. The first and third can be trimmed with minimal adverse impact and resources allocated to the actual bottleneck in the operation.

I've posted before on this subject, maybe in this thread. It's a human resources problem. These companies cannot get enough people to work. The least attractive jobs are going unfilled - package handlers, truck drivers, restauarant workers. My company is going through this across the country. For those who will work, if the business across the street is paying $.25 per hour more, they are gone.
Giving all federal employees another paid holiday will make things even worse. I actually think the post office is doing a decent job. The IRS is a total train wreck. It is impossible to interact with them via mail or phone. They make mistakes and you just have to live with the mistakes.

You missed the point. The post office has several distinct functions: accept items, move items around the country, and deliver those items. The first and third can be trimmed with minimal adverse impact and resources allocated to the actual bottleneck in the operation.
If postal workers delivered babies 👶 they would be able to issue driver’s licenses to them at birth. Please don’t ask me to explain the hyperbole!

I sent a letter "priority mail" on 5/26 with a destination in Cincinnati (I live in NY) It reached a facility there 5/31 and didn't move. It was finally delivered yesterday 6/16.
Bring back the Pony Express.

I sent a letter "priority mail" on 5/26 with a destination in Cincinnati (I live in NY) It reached a facility there 5/31 and didn't move. It was finally delivered yesterday 6/16.
Bring back the Pony Express.
"Priority Mail" doesn't come with a guaranteed delivery date. "Priority Mail Express" (I know, we all need scorecards) does. If it's not delivered in two business days, you get your money back, if that's any consolation.

USPS in the news again. This time for a likely fraudulent contract award. On top of that, a Congressman from Ohio is alleging that $54 million of shares were bought of the fraudulent contract winner OshKosh in the aftermarket the day before the award. SEC investigating?

Meanwhile, the company that was expected to win WKHS, was a $40 stock now the highest shorted stock and on sale at under $15 and may get the $6B bid after all for the electric delivery vehicle fleet, plus is rumored to be looked at by Amazon for it's drone delivery fleet.

Crazy times at the post office!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/16/usps-trucks-workhorse-lawsuit/?outputType=amp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...nouncement-of-usps-fleet-contract/ar-BB1eptZv

USPS in the news again. This time for a likely fraudulent contract award. On top of that, a Congressman from Ohio is alleging that $54 million of shares were bought of the fraudulent contract winner OshKosh in the aftermarket the day before the award. SEC investigating?

Meanwhile, the company that was expected to win WKHS, was a $40 stock now the highest shorted stock and on sale at under $15 and may get the $6B bid after all for the electric delivery vehicle fleet, plus is rumored to be looked at by Amazon for it's drone delivery fleet.

Crazy times at the post office!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/16/usps-trucks-workhorse-lawsuit/?outputType=amp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...nouncement-of-usps-fleet-contract/ar-BB1eptZv

Maybe the post office can investigate the situation for mail fraud.

I had an similar experience with t he Philadelphia distribution center. Anything going through there seems to sit for a week to 10 days. I’m still waiting for a book they received on June 3. The tracking number finally showed some movement yesterday so we will see. Amazon promised delivery two days ago and says they will cancel the order and issue a refund if I want but I still want the book. It’s awful and hasn’t improved.

I posted earlier in the the thread about the the Philly center and how it was regarded as one one of the worse in the country back in the late 90's/early 2000's and Harrisburg is not far behind.

The last two tax seasons my rural post office (a two person operation excluding the route carriers) told me to send any and all tax information by registered mail to Harrisburg because it's a Shit-show and don't expect checks to be deposited within 60 days. They where right. It took PA Dept. of revenue over 30 days to process my check.

A lot of great people work at USPS, but it's a broken system and the worker shortage is just elevating the situation.

The book arrived today! I think Amazon may have some way of moving it through the pile. Now if only the IRS would process my refund I’ll be a happy camper.

The book arrived today! I think Amazon may have some way of moving it through the pile. Now if only the IRS would process my refund I’ll be a happy camper.
Large shippers have dedicated teams/networks at USPS (and the private shipping companies) to troubleshoot. Ordinary customer service only has access to the same information that we see on tracking screens. Invariably they tell you to contact your seller.

"Priority Mail" doesn't come with a guaranteed delivery date. "Priority Mail Express" (I know, we all need scorecards) does. If it's not delivered in two business days, you get your money back, if that's any consolation.
Had that happen once. I used Priority Mail for one large envelope and Priority Mail Express for a second one to addresses very close to each other in the Cleveland/Akron area. The Priority Mail got there first. The Express one was two days late. Hard to figure. Both went through a lot of the same facilities, according to tracking, until the delivery post office. But the Express one was delayed at every step--even though they were mailed from the same office at the same time.

Had that happen once. I used Priority Mail for one large envelope and Priority Mail Express for a second one to addresses very close to each other in the Cleveland/Akron area. The Priority Mail got there first. The Express one was two days late. Hard to figure. Both went through a lot of the same facilities, according to tracking, until the delivery post office. But the Express one was delayed at every step--even though they were mailed from the same office at the same time.
Makes you wonder if anyone at the USPS sorting and delivery facilities pays any attention to the labeling. Since most of the sorting is automated, one might think this shouldn't happen. I think we know the answers.

ADVERTISEMENT