ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stan Savran just announced that the Steelers have signed Trubisky

That is as good as a pickup as they could get for cheap. The other options were Wentz or give up a ton for one of the guys under contract (Carr, Watson). I am not a huge fan of Trabisky but he was dropped into a dumpster fire. He's also a CLE area kid

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
More athletic than The Nerd Rudolph, not as expensive as some of the others.....

Allows them to fully rebuild the trenches this off season.

Picks
1- Trevor Penning OT- Northern Iowa
2- Lewis Cine- S- Georgia
3- Some small school WR that will become a star! I like the Watson kid from NDST but not sure he is still there at this point.
4- Road Grading Guard or C
7- DT
7- OL

1 - Iowa center if available ... if not best available OL
2 - DT or safety - need to address middle of defense. Perhaps a safety if our two DTs are back and healthy. Depends what's there.
3 - Best available WR - agree here with Texas Lion
Cop out for picks 2 or 3--still not sure they don't take the Cincy or NC QB if still on the board. They probably need to take a QB either this year or next (really hope not with our #1 pick this year--not feeling it).
4 - Best available LB or OL ... whichever they don't take will still be one of several free agent needs
7 and 7 - WR or LB

Hard to pick as of today. Can't recall the last time the Steelers had salary cap bucks to spend so fortunately they have that option. Also to me, Steelers often tend to go for some kind of "lessor ranked or known and/or we're smarter than everyone else off-the-chart type pick."

It works sometime.

Let’s put it this way they don’t have a Qb on the roster nothing but losers

Not happy with this signing for $14.25 mil. For that salary they have to designate him the starter: would rather have a true competition for starting QB.

I'm not grading all the film, but on numbers alone Trubisky isn't that bad. Considering the Steelers probably have better coaching than the Bears, I'm optimistic about how he'll do with the Steelers. I think it was a smart move getting a QB on the cheap in terms of money and draft picks and using those things instead to shore up the OL and DL.

Also, the Steelers were overly kind in letting Roethlisberger stay so long. They should have said sayanora to him a year ago, if not two. Then again, that would have been hard because of his contract, and the Steelers giving him that contract was another mistake.

Reactions: bison13
1 - Iowa center if available ... if not best available OL
2 - DT or safety - need to address middle of defense. Perhaps a safety if our two DTs are back and healthy. Depends what's there.
3 - Best available WR - agree here with Texas Lion
Cop out for picks 2 or 3--still not sure they don't take the Cincy or NC QB if still on the board. They probably need to take a QB either this year or next (really hope not with our #1 pick this year--not feeling it).
4 - Best available LB or OL ... whichever they don't take will still be one of several free agent needs
7 and 7 - WR or LB

Hard to pick as of today. Can't recall the last time the Steelers had salary cap bucks to spend so fortunately they have that option. Also to me, Steelers often tend to go for some kind of "lessor ranked or known and/or we're smarter than everyone else off-the-chart type pick."

It works sometime.
Well my my ... after all the OL free agent pickups I'm now thinking we don't go OL with #1. Somewhat worried it will be a QB. Picks 2, 3, 4 and 4 should be DT, Safety, LB and WR. Unless of course we traded one of those slots away to move up the board.

This is the most free agent signings I can recall with the Steelers. Lord knows they needed them. Somewhat surprised by the size of the contract for Okie.

I give up trying to predict any of this ... will just go with the flow and hope for the best once the season starts.

Reactions: bison13
Da’ Bears coaching, game planning and playcalling did not help Trubisky at all. He’s not as bad as he looked in Chicago!

I'm not grading all the film, but on numbers alone Trubisky isn't that bad. Considering the Steelers probably have better coaching than the Bears, I'm optimistic about how he'll do with the Steelers. I think it was a smart move getting a QB on the cheap in terms of money and draft picks and using those things instead to shore up the OL and DL.

Also, the Steelers were overly kind in letting Roethlisberger stay so long. They should have said sayanora to him a year ago, if not two. Then again, that would have been hard because of his contract, and the Steelers giving him that contract was another mistake.

BRs lowest yards per attempt season in 2004 thru 2018: 7.0 (in 2008)
BRs yards per attempt for 2019 thru 2021 combined: 6.2

It was 5.7 in 2019 (only 2 games), 6.3 in 2020 and 6.2 in 2021.

I think 1st round will now be DL or CB
Could well be just hard to tell for me right now. Steelers have already picked up more FAs than I can ever recall ... how many more, if any, will they take? Need to see all those moves before I could guess. Hope they keep the "Spoon." I think that would help with our DBs.

Honestly, I might probably still grab the Iowa center if available. It's just such a critical position. Some DTs in round 2 that still might be really good for us and I'd hate to take a DB in round 1. Historically we're not really too good at that (and don't see any Troy Ps around).

I told my kids over a month ago that it would be Trubisky, MM or someone like him for "not so crazy bucks". It would be someone to fill the gap until we get our guy or, that could potentially do well and become our guy. They will draft a QB ... I'm just not really sold on this year's group ... especially in round one.

Somewhat concerned that they've filled enough holes now (yes, still plenty more to work on) that they just might trade up. :eek:
Liberty QB will be gone and do they really like Pickett that much to move up? They'll need to take a QB this year or next. Question is ... will next year's group be that much better?

Cincy or NC QB in round 2? Hell who knows.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT