ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

12 innings in this heat today? Call it a tie and move on with life!!

and then Hoskins strikes out in the bottom of the 12th with 2 on, 2 out, and chases a high and inside pitch for the 3rd strike. 13th inning, here we come

I believe the Nats are now out of relievers. The only pitchers on their bench are the four other starters.

Phils are 3 games out in the NL East, but a game and a half up in the wild card. Many questioned if they could hang in after the tough schedule during the last month. The answer is yes and their next 16 games are against teams with losing records. Should be an interesting summer.

their next 16 games are against teams with losing records.

If they continue winning, does anyone foresee any big moves at the deadline? Have been reading some rumors that The Phils and Dodgers are emerging as contenders for Machado, though, I think he's more likely to land in LA. Moustakas?

This is the time that the Phillies could easily make up ground on the Braves who are in the beginning of a tough 10 game road trip that includes three in St. Louis, three at the Yankees, and four at division-leading Milwaukee. Atlanta (in spite of sweeping the Cardinals) could easily lose five of their remaining games which would leave Philly at the top of the division.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Phillies’ defense is brutal and will likely cost them in the dog days. Crawford does not look like the answer at shortstop, and Kingery lacks range and quickness. Hoskins is a liability in left. Phillies will put him at first base, where he couldn’t be worse than Ryan Howard. Suspect, therefore, they will be all-in on Machado and platoon Williams and someone else in left next year. I’d be ecstatic with any wild card this year.

Phillies’ defense is brutal and will likely cost them in the dog days. Crawford does not look like the answer at shortstop, and Kingery lacks range and quickness. Hoskins is a liability in left. Phillies will put him at first base, where he couldn’t be worse than Ryan Howard. Suspect, therefore, they will be all-in on Machado and platoon Williams and someone else in left next year. I’d be ecstatic with any wild card this year.
So what do you do with Santana then? I see them sticking with Hoskins in left for a couple of years.

For some perspective, we should recall that at All-Star break last season, the Phils were 29-58, the worst record in MLB.

They managed to play just under .500 ball after the break, and are now 45-37.

They have at least become relevant and watchable.:)

Reactions: sluggo72 and bmw199
So what do you do with Santana then? I see them sticking with Hoskins in left for a couple of years.

While Hoskins isn't a defensive gem in LF, once the Phils signed Santana in the offseason, Hoskins's role was moved to the OF. I don't see that changing while Santana is under contract, unless he is injured.

Phils need to do at least something to improve. i don't care if they go all in on some big name, i am fine if they don't. but give me at least the following to make it interesting down the stretch;

1. go out a get a respectable closer
2. give me at least a decent right handed hitting outfielder to give some more bat to platoon with Nick Williams.
3. if they can pick up a left handed hitting 3rd baseman to platoon with Franco that might be nice also.

Phils need to do at least something to improve. i don't care if they go all in on some big name, i am fine if they don't. but give me at least the following to make it interesting down the stretch;

2. give me at least a decent right handed hitting outfielder to give some more bat to platoon with Nick Williams.
3. if they can pick up a left handed hitting 3rd baseman to platoon with Franco that might be nice also.

on the closer, young Dominquez is quite a talent. Is he right for the job as closer, or better used for set up?

certainly agree that the bullpen overall is in need of improvement

I want Williams to play more. I am ready to move on from Franco. I think he is only playing now due to limited options. The fact that JP was playing 3rd says a lot.

Reactions: bmw199
Phils will get much needed bullpen help when Neshak steps in. Guessing Morgan will be sent down, if he has options. Hunter is a bust but the Phillies have too much $ tied up in him.

I want Williams to play more. I am ready to move on from Franco. I think he is only playing now due to limited options. The fact that JP was playing 3rd says a lot.
If they get Machado and he is set on SS then JP could end up at 3rd and not short moving forward. Which wouldn't be the worst thing if you have a Machado level bat at SS.

I wonder if the reported Padres' interest in Franco is legit. If so, maybe there's an arm in their bullpen which could be part of a deal for Maikel. Sometimes those kinds of trades are just as important as the mega deals involving superstars.

Interesting stat by Jayson Stark. Phils have 44 wins at the halfway mark. 8 teams won at least 44 games last season at halfway. All 8 made the playoffs.
last 2 years 17 of 17 made playoffs
last 3 years 24 of 25 made it
88% made it in the last 5 years

Phils did what they had to do against a bad team.

Good to see the Flying Hawaiian is retiring as a Phillie. Who can forget this moment?

My son's favorite Phillie. The Hawaiian was a hoot and a hell of a ballplayer.

Been very critical here and elsewhere about Kapler but they mentioned the team's record in 1-run games this season over last and the difference is stark. Far outpaced my expectations so far. You have to give him some of that credit, right? He drives me spittin' crazy sometimes. The bullpen is such a roulette wheel. Really you look at the NYY series and think what could happen in a short series or a one-gamer? Odd or even? Red or Black? Guess we'll see. Right now it's green grass and high tides, and could get better still.

Reactions: Relayer
Where does everyone stand with Franco? He's been playing great defense and his hitting has been solid. Not a confidence boost seeing him hit 8th. Ricky Bo seems to think his recent performance is not enough with the trade rumors.

Where does everyone stand with Franco? He's been playing great defense and his hitting has been solid. Not a confidence boost seeing him hit 8th. Ricky Bo seems to think his recent performance is not enough with the trade rumors.

Good question. He's right on pace to eclipse the stats he put up the past two years offensively but he's been making some jaw-dropping plays too. OPS and SLG are up. Still a young guy. Last year at this time I'd have traded him in a heartbeat.

Jayson stark seemed to think the Phillies are looking at 3rd basemen and insinuated that they may not see franco in their future. He discussed how they are trying to get him not to pull groundballs but he leads the team.

Ten games over .500 for the first time in 7 years.

Sixth series sweep this season.

15 straight scoreless innings from the bullpen.

Aaron Nola 8-0 at home.

1.5 games up in the Wild Card, 1.5 games out of first.

Happy 4th of July!!

Ten games over .500 for the first time in 7 years.

Sixth series sweep this season.

15 straight scoreless innings from the bullpen.

Aaron Nola 8-0 at home.

1.5 games up in the Wild Card, 1.5 games out of first.

Happy 4th of July!!
YES! I am one of the many who had serious questions about Kapler's managing ability after that 1st game debacle in Atlanta! Baseball is a LONNNNNNGGGGGGG season, isn't it?

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Hey, anyone heading to the 'burgh this weekend? Wish we could road trip. Hope to see a lot of red. Love PNC Park and meeting Vic and FCL were certainly highlights last time out! Wow, hard to believe that was 8 years ago.

Phils did what they had to do against a bad team.

Good to see the Flying Hawaiian is retiring as a Phillie. Who can forget this moment?

The unforgettable part of that game and in ing was brett myers ridiculous at bat fouling off about 7 pitches and then walking to fill the bases. I was there and it was one of the most fun moments i have ever seen at a sporting event.

Reactions: Relayer
Hopefully the Phils are trying to make a deal for Manny Machado and would move Crawford or Kingery to 3B.
Sounds like Machado opened up the possibility of signing longer term deal this summer if traded.

The unforgettable part of that game and in ing was brett myers ridiculous at bat fouling off about 7 pitches and then walking to fill the bases. I was there and it was one of the most fun moments i have ever seen at a sporting event.

I was there. It was an amazing inning

Hey, anyone heading to the 'burgh this weekend? Wish we could road trip. Hope to see a lot of red. Love PNC Park and meeting Vic and FCL were certainly highlights last time out! Wow, hard to believe that was 8 years ago.
Wanted to--wife said "no" (we have been busy the last few weeks and need time at home). So I'm going to all of the three game set in Columbus in a couple of weeks when the Iron Pigs come in (plus the IL All Star Game). Can't go to the Cincy series, sadly, due to a conference.

This defense can just drive me crazy sometimes. Knapp misses another 3rd strike and Kingery with another bad throw leads to 2 unearned runs. Pivetta overall struggled again, 74 pitches in less than 3 innings.

Hoskins is brutal in left. He runs like his legs are in shackles. That ball should have been caught, let alone turning it into a triple. Meanwhile, Kruk is telling us what a great effort it was. I'm a fan of Rhys, but he is not an outfielder.

Eight pitchers used so far with a combined 264 pitches thrown. No wonder it took 3 hours to play 6 innings.

Wonder why Kapler took out Ramos having only thrown 6 pitches? He may use everyone tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT