ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

Knapps jumps all over a 3-2 pitch for a 3-run HR, making it 14-4. Bucco's pen seems to be a bigger liability than is the Phil's pen, at least tonight.

Reactions: TheGLOV
with the Braves loss tonight, and the Phils up 17-4 in the bottom of the 9th, it appears that the Phils will be tied for 1st place at the end of this evening's game (which is taking forever to end). I don't think at the start of the season that many fans of the Phightins anticipated that for July 6th.

Reactions: whart and Relayer
The Phils just seem to have some good karma this year. Obviously starting pitching is what is making this team what it is, essentially have a legit 5 man rotation where every guy is capable of winning and keeping the Phils in every game. But the hitting is just so timely. Sometimes teams have that, sometimes they don't. This Phils team just seems to get a hit whenever they really need one.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Phils get the win in game 2 of the PIrates series, 3-2. Arieta gets the win (believe it's been a while since that happened).

No one to put in for Hoskins in left field for late inning defense?

Nice gut check today, great comeback. I said the same about Hoskins last night on the triple. You can't let Dickerson lead off with a little flair to left that ends up being a double.

It was good to see Kapler use Dominguez in the eighth inning when the #2 hitter was leading off. If he's the shut down reliever why not use him where he can do the most good? Of course there are no guarantees since any part of the opponent's batting order can potentially bite you but generally the top of the order is where the better hitters are. I never agreed with the philosophy of the ace reliever always being used to close the game even if he might be facing the 7, 8 and 9 batters.

Reactions: Nitwit
Another,great managerial move by Hurdle in the bottom of the 9th.Leadoff double and he doesn't call for the most devastating play in baseball the bunt to get him to third with one out.He let's Harrison swing away and he does at two balls out of the zone for a strikeout.I guess the idiot doesnt realize how many more ways you can score from third than second.My college coach(Mitchell Bailey)rolled over in his grave with this move.We have 3 more years of this crap with Hurdle.

Phils get the win in game 2 of the PIrates series, 3-2. Arieta gets the win (believe it's been a while since that happened).
Without looking it up, isn’t his last win the end of May?

I would like to see a move for a closer. I don’t think deal will be made for Machado. I think they get the KC third baseman.

Another,great managerial move by Hurdle in the bottom of the 9th.Leadoff double and he doesn't call for the most devastating play in baseball the bunt to get him to third with one out.He let's Harrison swing away and he does at two balls out of the zone for a strikeout.I guess the idiot doesnt realize how many more ways you can score from third than second.My college coach(Mitchell Bailey)rolled over in his grave with this move.We have 3 more years of this crap with Hurdle.
I agree with you, but can anyone bunt anymore? I used to love to practice that in LL. Such an art, catch the ball with the bat is how we had it explained to us. In the age of HR/K or Bust! The art of the small game is fading. Which sucks, because those nuances are what draw a baseball fan to watch.

Phils should try to pry Clint Frazier from Yankees. He is buried at AAA & would be a tremendous boost to Phils OF as well as an offensive threat. Can Phils give up some minor league pitching to get him? Makes more sense to me than trying to get Machado right now.

I like Frazier, but have to think Frazier would be a big piece to a Yankees trade to improve their major league club. Think the Phils would benefit from some veteran MLB talent. Need upgrade at 3B/SS, RF, and bullpen.

Never thought I'd see Knapp leading off. I still don't get Franco hitting 8th and behind Valentin?

Got home about an hour ago. Great weekend. Won another series and I'll take a split for the games I attended. People were great. More Phils fans last night than today. Well represented both days. Always love going to PNC. Hotel downtown, great views. Traffic was easy both ways. Parked in a private lot for twenty bucks, right handy to the hotel. That got me both games.

Williams hit a beautiful bomb today. Only bright note. Bucs got some great pitching today. Had the Phillies fooled all day. Eleven or twelve K's? Phila should make a run at that Vasquez for Pgh. Struck out the side in 9th, throws hard Dare say they were somewhat lucky to win Saturday night. Blew a lot of chances. Today, too in the 6th I believe where we had 1st and 2nd no out. Last night 2nd and 3rd no out late with a slim lead, no runs.

Reactions: Relayer
Aaron Nola was named to the All Star team. He will be the lone Phillies representative.

Got home about an hour ago. Great weekend. Won another series and I'll take a split for the games I attended. People were great. More Phils fans last night than today. Well represented both days. Always love going to PNC. Hotel downtown, great views. Traffic was easy both ways. Parked in a private lot for twenty bucks, right handy to the hotel. That got me both games.

Williams hit a beautiful bomb today. Only bright note. Bucs got some great pitching today. Had the Phillies fooled all day. Eleven or twelve K's? Phila should make a run at that Vasquez for Pgh. Struck out the side in 9th, throws hard Dare say they were somewhat lucky to win Saturday night. Blew a lot of chances. Today, too in the 6th I believe where we had 1st and 2nd no out. Last night 2nd and 3rd no out late with a slim lead, no runs.

Glad you enjoyed our city!!

The would-da, could-da game, for us, was Saturday nights game.

Leave our starter in and maybe we win.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Aaron Nola was named to the All Star team. He will be the lone Phillies representative.

Thought Odubel might get on the list of players for the final fan vote, especially after all the slobbering ESPN did on the Sunday night game two weeks ago.

Glad you enjoyed our city!!

The would-da, could-da game, for us, was Saturday nights game.

Leave our starter in and maybe we win.

Been there many times, never had a bad time in Pittsburgh. Last night after the game we were getting in the elevator at the hotel. Mostly Philly fans. One Buc fan was clearly hammered, going on about "How would you guys treat me in Philly? You wouldn't be treated this nice in Philly if you were a Buc fan." I looked at him and said "You would if you were with us." Shut him right down. He was the closest thing to anybody I saw all weekend who was mouthy. Wouldn't even qualify it as a bad experience, he was just loaded and looking to stir shiz up. Everybody was nice, and he was no problem either. Just drunk.

Reactions: Kmase21 and TheGLOV
Valentin is not a major league hitter. Why not pinch hit Altherr or Alfaro? That was a huge spot in this game.

And there it is, 4-3 Mets. Knapp can't bunt and Kapler puts Cozens up to pinch hit with his .111 average. Where's Altherr? They also burned Dominguez for 2 innings. Need Nola to do his thing in game 2.

Aaron Nola -- wow.
Thru 7 innings, has given up 1 hit, no runs, and struck out 10
And driven in 3 runs with a bases-clearing double for a 3-0 lead in the 2nd game of the double-header vs the Mets.

Phils - 2 hits, Mets - 1 hit, going into the 9th inning

Tommy Hunter in the top of the 9th, gets 2 outs, then hits a batter, then gives up a double, so the tie run (Conforto) comes to the plate. Flores steals 3rd uncontested. Has him at 2-2, then just missed for 3-2. Then a foul, then low for a ball, bringing the winning run to the plate. And that's it for Hunter. 1st & 3rd, 2 outs, Victor Arano comes in -- his 2nd appearance today. Just misses on the 1st pitch, 1-0. Then misses low on the 2nd pitch, 2-0. Just gets a slider for a strike, 2-1. Swing and a miss on a slider, 2-2. And another swing and a miss, and that's a wrap.

Phils win 3-1, to get a split today.

That's the Phils 50th win of the season.

Reactions: Relayer and royboy
Aaron Nola now leads the NL with 12 wins; having a superb season:
12-2; 126 strikeouts in 123 innings; ERA of 2.27

Phils are tied with the Braves for the Division lead.

Two rookie pitchers making their first start tonight for the Mets and Phils. Should be interesting.

one never knows how that will play out. Sometimes they cause problems for the batting order, at least for the first, or the first two, times through the order. Other times they get overwhelmed by the situation, and it has a negative impact on their pitches.

In the top of the 1st, the Mets' pitcher seemed to give the Phils' batters problems with his off-speed stuff. The Phils' pitcher was also successful in the bottom of the 1st, and had surprising speed for not much of a windup. Santana had a nice double-play on a hard-hit ball. Should be interesting.

welcome to the bigs, rookie, as Franco takes a high changeup, and deposits it in the left-field stands, for a 3-run HR. Phils up 3-0, heading into the bottom of the 2nd

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Nick Williams takes a fastball to left center with the bases loaded, and drives in 2 runs, in the top of the 3rd. 5-0, Phils, with 1 out and 1st & 3rd. Mets get somebody up in the 'pen.

Nick Williams takes a fastball to left center with the bases loaded, and drives in 2 runs, in the top of the 3rd. 5-0, Phils, with 1 out and 1st & 3rd. Mets get somebody up in the 'pen.

and then Kingerey pops out to short right field on a 3-2 count, with Flores (Mets' 1B) making an over the shoulder catch. Santana tries to tag and score from 1st (probably the slowest Phil in the starting lineup). He gave a good effort, but was tagged out, so the inning ends on a double play. ugh

And then Rosario leads off for the Mets in the bottom of the 3rd with a shot to left field that Hoskins just misses (should have had it), and then slams into the padded wall. Rosario ends up with a triple. Hoskins is a nice hitter, but he's not exactly a defense whiz in LF (as @Relayer has mentioned several times in this thread). Gagnon (Met's rookie pitcher followed with a SF to CF, so it's 5-1, Phils.)

Reactions: Grant Green
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT