ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Olympic Trials Results and discussion thread

Just got done watching the post match interviews. I'm thinking HR may be right, we are a cult. A wrestling juggernaut self improvement, family oriented, championship cult!!!
I pictured several of those HR guys puking down their shirts when Gilman started talking about growing as a man, being grateful and having fun.

He did shake his hand.
But why not a better, more full handshake?!? No respect. :)

parenttraphandshake2.gif

doubt that anyone expected Bo to ‘stick around’ ...but a ‘handshake’ would have been ‘sportsman like’ ..after all ...isn’t Bo the guy who was consistently trying to ‘help up’ a defeated wrestler off of the mat?

Not to nitpick but he shook his hand right as the match ended...brief and more of a slap maybe...but he did shake his hand.

No I see it as a slight on Yianni and Zane. As a member of the world team they can represent the USA in other world events. To say that they are so light of character that they can't refocus on secondary goals is an insult to them.

Nick, Yianni and Zain have never given less than 100% any time they step on the mat ... quit is not in their DNA. It is obtuse to speculate otherwise..

We'll end the discussion here because that is ridiculous. NO ONE said they are light of character. Nor did I say ANYTHING about quitting. I must not be communicating what seems to be a simple concept to me, because you are tossing dynamite onto subtleties. Happy Easter to you

doubt that anyone expected Bo to ‘stick around’ ...but a ‘handshake’ would have been ‘sportsman like’ ...
This seems like much ado about nothing. Bo and David are teammates and brothers. I'm confident they hugged it out behind the scenes. Seems more likely to me that Bo cleared the scene quickly to give David the stage and all the deserved attention.

Most of what I say on BWI is original. This line is not. My (skinny) son says it. I think he heard it on YouTube. :)
Our kids get so much new pop culture. When I told him my new word "liguratively", he said, "that is like "ligma". I asked, "what's ligma?" He replied, "ligma balls!" So stupid funny I couldn't stop laughing. That was an Internet joke from a few years ago, he told me. Who knew!

Last edited:
I just love when the board nitpicks a guy after getting to the edge of his Olympic Dream, ...
To state the obvious, the thing about nitpicking is that, if someone did not do this one not-best thing, they would still get no credit, because they would be criticized for the next not-best thing they did. This is always possible because nobody is perfect. There is always one next not-best thing they did.

The above is obvious if someone says it, but if we examine our nitpicks as coaches, parents, and spouses, we often find ourselves guilty. :(

Reactions: danoftw
I pictured several of those HR guys puking down their shirts when Gilman started talking about growing as a man, being grateful and having fun.
You’d be grateful too if you were a senior-level wrestler and you were offered an opportunity to join a club where you are not only allowed but encouraged to roll with other senior-level wrestlers. What a concept! :)

I love Thomas Gilman interviews. He puts himself out there and tells it like it is. congratulations Thomas.

Wow! T Gilman is highly like-able, smart, intellectually curious, self-aware, etc.
The “came out of nowhere” question was not well placed (especially if you know anything about wrestling/ US wrestlers) but he handled it well

TG’s interview sounds is a great testimonial to what Cael and company can do to help an athlete be the best version of themself.
They took a bonafide heel and forced him baby face, but it worked.
This wasn’t how I looked at it, coming in. Ugh.

please don’t “nice-up” Howard.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
I love Thomas Gilman interviews. He puts himself out there and tells it like it is. congratulations Thomas.

Look, I want to preface my comment by saying that I haven't followed Gilman closely and I am doing my best not to have my PSU bias show through.

So here goes: I really, really disliked this guy when he was at Iowa. I thought he was arrogant, self absorbed and just an all around...DICK!

My God has my opinion of him changed after listening to this interview. He has done a 180 degree personality turn imo.

I of course give this young man all the credit in the world, but you also have to tip your hat to the coaching culture created by Cael & Company.

This interview makes me want to root harder for Gilman and reinforces my admiration for the classy, elite wrestling program PSU runs.

A 180° personality turn? From that interview? Wow. Nope. that's Gilman. He is 26 now, got married recently, and seems to have more devotion to God. He is becoming a man as he ages and gains more life experience
I've heard interviews with him before and he's always been a deep thinker, but also an agitator with a chip on his shoulder. I don't detect the chip on his shoulder anymore, and he seems to have saved his agitation for the mat. I know a lot of Penn State fans want to attribute the change to coaching and atmosphere, and while I think he's in a very good atmosphere right now, and Cael & Co. deserve a lot of credit for delivering, both on the mat and off, I think the difference from Gilman six years ago to now could just as likely be attributed to maturing that would've happened anywhere. A lot of drastic change happen between the 19 to 25 years, especially in angry young men types.

I've heard interviews with him before and he's always been a deep thinker, but also an agitator with a chip on his shoulder. I don't detect the chip on his shoulder anymore, and he seems to have saved his agitation for the mat. I know a lot of Penn State fans want to attribute the change to coaching and atmosphere, and while I think he's in a very good atmosphere right now, and Cael & Co. deserve a lot of credit for delivering, both on the mat and off, I think the difference from Gilman six years ago to now could just as likely be attributed to maturing that would've happened anywhere. A lot of drastic change happen between the 19 to 25 years, especially in angry young men types.
The thing is that the only Gilman interviews non-Iowa fans ever saw were the ones where he said something audacious, but that was the vast minority. He honestly sounds no different. He wrestles no different. If he needed a change of pace/mental reset, that probably helps, but he looks like the same exact Gilman to me. And to be clear, that's damn good.

Entirely possible, but he sure doesn't hesitate to give Cael and company credit for helping him on and off the mat. Who are we to question him, after all he has experienced the entire saga 1st hand.

Let's be honest: Mad Chum is a troll. He doesn't give a rip about Jordan Oliver. He has been completely silent about anything else Oliver (including the move to UNC and training with Yianni).

100% certain he would not comment at all if Oliver had attended PSU (which was Oliver's mother's preference at the time).
Mad Chum? Lmao. Made me spit my beer.

How many here had an edge about them as a teen, early 20-year-old? For those of you that grew out of it, you can probably relate to Gilman at least a little.

And while Cael & Co. sets the environment, anyone in the PSU program or NLWC that matures does so themselves.

Entirely possible, but he sure doesn't hesitate to give Cael and company credit for helping him on and off the mat. Who are we to question him, after all he has experienced the entire saga 1st hand.
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying Cael deserves no credit, I'm suggesting that it's difficult to determine causation for something that might have happened naturally and gradually. Gilman and the NLWC were surely good for each other, but I don't think it therefore follows that Gilman wouldn't have matured if he had stayed in Iowa, which is what I think some are implying.

I do think it's safe to infer that he felt like the room was too crowded with Spencer there and that he wasn't getting the attention he felt he deserved from the staff, but that's on the mat stuff. I'm glad he's around, he's clearly helped our lightweights and they look up to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT