ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Olympic Trials Results and discussion thread

I think there is a pretty reasonable way to see that there is. Never did I say that Nick did go in with the intention of winning. But if you can't see a difference between Nick and tough draw he had, never having beaten JO or Yianni, etc. and Yianni who has spent the past 2 years focused on this one singular goal and Zain, both of whom have been on the cusp of International success, then you're intentionally falling into fandom bias or just being obtuse. I'm not talking a major difference here. It's subtle, but it's real. And keep in mind that this is coming from one of if not the biggest Nick Lee fan on this board, having seen many of his matches and following him all the way back to 8th grade.

If you see this as a slight to Nick, you just aren't getting it and there is no reason to continuing this convo.
Sorry @jack66 , I have to agree with him.

Reactions: WreslingFan0314
Yeah the commentator (who is very good) on mat 3 recognized what was going on - and NEITHER coach did - he said if you can’t do that as a coach at this level, then you shouldn’t be coaching. Said “that will be a LONG plane ride home for those two”.
He also had a comment on the Stanford mess. I enjoyed listening to him. No bias what so ever.

Olympic trials are just under the Olympics in terms of wrestling to spectate. Might even be above, just because I’m more informed on domestic competitors.

what a weekend. Congrats to the Olympians and best of luck to those qualifying their weight in May!

Olympic trials are just under the Olympics in terms of wrestling to spectate. Might even be above, just because I’m more informed on domestic competitors.

what a weekend. Congrats to the Olympians and best of luck to those qualifying their weight in May!
I have to say it was a great weekend of wrestling. My only problem is if you are trying to grow the sport, why would not put DT and Bo in the 1st rotation of televised matches? Both are two of the more recognizable names and careers in recent college wrestling, so them going head to head was a no brainer for primetime.
My favorite matches were Nick vs Yianni, Bo vs Zahid and Bo vs PD3. It's a shame more people couldn't see the fireworks and scrambles that happened in the Nick Lee vs Yianni match or Bo vs Zahid. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: diggerpup
giphy.gif
Where did you find the GIF of the French girl?

Watching Adeline Gray win just now by TF reminds me that I don't understand yet another aspect of freestyle. I thought you could pin yourself if you roll over on your own flat back without bridging, No?. I saw Gray (and others) do that during this tourney.
This is freestyle. The rules change depending on who the official is and what country their from.

If you see this as a slight to Nick, and there is no reason to continuing this convo.

No I see it as a slight on Yianni and Zane. As a member of the world team they can represent the USA in other world events. To say that they are so light of character that they can't refocus on secondary goals is an insult to them.

Nick, Yianni and Zain have never given less than 100% any time they step on the mat ... quit is not in their DNA. It is obtuse to speculate otherwise..

It really doesn't matter who was up for a match and who wasn't. Nick Lee has taken a giant step forward these past couple of weeks in terms of showing himself what he is capable of achieving. I don't think this is the last of Zain or YD, but Nick Lee will now be a serious part of every conversation when we think of future world teams.

I normally complain about having to wade through the women's matches while waiting for the men's freestyle matches, but these ladies really won me over from the wrestling they put on display these past couple of days. I am a fan moving forward!

It really doesn't matter who was up for a match and who wasn't. Nick Lee has taken a giant step forward these past couple of weeks in terms of showing himself what he is capable of achieving. I don't think this is the last of Zain or YD, but Nick Lee will now be a serious part of every conversation when we think of future world teams.

I normally complain about having to wade through the women's matches while waiting for the men's freestyle matches, but these ladies really won me over from the wrestling they put on display these past couple of days. I am a fan moving forward!
Couldn't agree more with the ladies, they really put on a nice show.

Let's be honest: Mad Chum is a troll. He doesn't give a rip about Jordan Oliver. He has been completely silent about anything else Oliver (including the move to UNC and training with Yianni).

100% certain he would not comment at all if Oliver had attended PSU (which was Oliver's mother's preference at the time).

I have to say it was a great weekend of wrestling. My only problem is if you are trying to grow the sport, why would not put DT and Bo in the 1st rotation of televised matches? Both are two of the more recognizable names and careers in recent college wrestling, so them going head to head was a no brainer for primetime.
My favorite matches were Nick vs Yianni, Bo vs Zahid and Bo vs PD3. It's a shame more people couldn't see the fireworks and scrambles that happened in the Nick Lee vs Yianni match or Bo vs Zahid. Just my 2 cents.
That was a shit show of a production!
Every one of those matches should have been televised, seperately and on ONE mat.
Why did they not start early session until 1:00??
I honestly had no idea (my own fault) that they would be on 3 mats last night. How disrespectful.

Couldn't agree more. For the first time, I found myself engaged with the women's matches just as much as the men's this time around. Can't wait to watch them all in Tokyo!

And in all honesty, I did enjoy the NBC coverage of this event. They did a good job overall. It was good for the sport.

Just haven‘t seen any guys who lost ”sticking around”. Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention, but don’t think anything Bo did was unusual.

doubt that anyone expected Bo to ‘stick around’ ...but a ‘handshake’ would have been ‘sportsman like’ ..after all ...isn’t Bo the guy who was consistently trying to ‘help up’ a defeated wrestler off of the mat?

Nice tourney overall by the NLWC. Eight associated wrestlers won a place on this year's Olympic team. A few didn't accomplish their dream, and that's heart-breaking, but it's wrestling and life. Surprisingly, I got to see almost every bout of "our" wrestlers, all three disciplines :) , and they wrestled with good effort throughout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT