ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Maryland Game Thread

Exclude the sanction years, has there been a worse loss in the Franklin era? We got our asses kicked by Michigan a few years ago but that team had talent. This Maryland team? Really? I can’t explain this.

Reactions: psu00
Exclude the sanction years, has there been a worse loss in the Franklin era? We got our asses kicked by Michigan a few years ago but that team had talent. This Maryland team? Really? I can’t explain this.

In hindsight the 2016 Pitt loss is the worst (because it kept PSU out of the playoff). But, agree otherwise - no reason on earth to lose to Maryland; especially with returning starters all over the place.

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
In hindsight the 2016 Pitt loss is the worst (because it kept PSU out of the playoff). But, agree otherwise - no reason on earth to lose to Maryland; especially with returning starters all over the place.
I guess your right Midnighter pitt was worse for keeping us out, but in terms of quality of opponent, this loss stands on its own. For al the wrong reasons......

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Next they will make their own turnover thank you cards.

Defense must have left the thank you card in Bloomington because they didn't force one in their 2 home games here.

I can't seem to find the research tool necessary to pull this off but from a Vegas standpoint, I can't think of too many outright losses in my fan era (going back to 1981) where PSU was favored by as much (27 1/2 on my site at kickoff). Off the top of my head, the only ones that maybe could fall into the realm was Cincinnati in 1983 and MAYBE Pitt in 1984 (highly doubt that last one). Possibly the Scott Erney Rutgers game in 88 (found that, PSU was around -14). The closest call with that big a number in the last few years was being a 24-point favorite the last time they played at home against Nebraska -- the wild scoring one where Nebraska found their way back into the game after being down big in the 2nd quarter.

Reactions: PSUfiji and TheGLOV
The Pitt loss didn’t keep us out - Clemson lost to them on their home field in 2016 as well so it couldn’t be held against Penn State. The 39 point loss to Michigan is what did it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The Pitt loss didn’t keep us out - Clemson lost to them on their home field in 2016 as well so it couldn’t be held against Penn State. The 39 point loss to Michigan is what did it.

Well, it’s either Pitt or Michigan 2016 - since we should have beat Pitt, I went with them. Bottom line is we win either one of those games and we’re in the CFP. Clemson’s loss to Pitt was terrible but it was their only loss.

Reactions: TheGLOV
That RB’s aren’t the biggest issue on offense. The real failing is the OL inability to open holes between the tackles. It’s by far and away the worst OL I’ve seen at PSU. The interior of the line is soft. On passing plays the DT are able to push the interior light line into Clifford.

Cliffords accuracy is the second biggest issue. When he’s not overthrowing receivers he’s throwing behind them. He’s also holding onto the ball to long.

It’s time to make some serious changes on offense. The OL needs a complete overhaul. I can’t imagine the younger guys could do any worse. Unfortunately think we’re stuck with Mr Happy Feet Overthrow Throw Behind. I don’t see him being remotely serviceable bat this point. Let’s hope we find a QB transfer next year or two.

I’m not even sure what to think of Franklin at this point. Think it’s time to take a serious look at a coaching change. Not taking a field goal in the first quarter was asinine. He reeks of desperation.

Just so frustrating and disappointing. Everything we were told would be strengths this season are weaknesses. The players seems lost. There seems to no leader on the team and seems like the coaches have lost this team.

There are like 8 captains right? Maybe this is the clue that there aren’t any real leaders.....when in doubt name them all.
That’s captain by committee. Do they all get participation trophies?

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians never works.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUfiji and psualt
Midnighter Bar Morning After Specials

- Maryland Bloody Testudo - Tito's Vodka, Spicy V8 Tomato Juice, Worcestershire, Horseradish, Lemon, Pepper, Celery Seed, Old Bay Rim, Crab Leg Garnish - $14.00

- Mt. Nittany Java - Little Amps Dark Star Coffee, Jameson Cold Brew Irish Whiskey, Brown Sugar, Cold Whipped Heavey Cream - $12.00

- Next Year - Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque Champagne, Angostura Bitters, Sugar Cube, Lemon Zest - $18.00

850880699funny-drinking-alcohol-gif-3.gif

Weirdly enough, on paper, this looks like a Penn State win (or a much closer game at minimum) - turnovers and no run game (and Clifford's happy feet/inaccuracy) are killing us. And once again we outscore an opponent in the second half.

Total Yards - Maryland 405, Penn State 434
Passing Yards - Maryland 282, Penn State 340
Rushing Yards - Maryland 123, Penn State 94
Yards Per Play - Maryland 6.6, Penn State 4.7
First Downs - Maryland 16, Penn State 30
Total Plays - Maryland 61, Penn State 93
Punts - Maryland 7, Penn State 4
Penalties - Maryland 8/55, Penn State 4/25
Turnovers - Maryland 0, Penn State 3
Time of Possession - Maryland 26:22, Penn State 33:38

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
For those that think Franklin should be fired. Franklin isn't going anywhere so stop thinking that. No way PSU has the money to pay Franklin and a new coach that would also demand top dollar. Have to hope Franklin and the staff figure it out.

This season has not been Franklin's finest. That's for sure. The Indiana game was the first time I ever totally blamed a coach for a loss. That was sad. The game was won.

This past week the team played like they just didn't want to be there. Why is that? Have they really lost desire? Hard to believe that. Is it because lots of young athletes were in the game and they always play a step slower. I can believe that but not totally. They need to find an answer.

I'm concerned about the lack of imagination and variety in the running game. That's been a concern of mine for quite some time. If I'm not mistaken I can only remember one outside run from the MD game. It gained good yardage. I think MD was last in the B10 against the run. Maybe it's the RPO. If it is, I'm tired of it. Every play seems so slow to develop. I'm no x's and o's expert, that's for sure. I'd love to have somebody explain our running game to me if there is a good explanation. Fix the running game and the passing game should improve.

Hopefully they start putting it together. I only saw a small amount of the NB game (late in the game) and from what I saw, there young QB looked pretty solid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT