NWCA ALL-STAR CLASSIC

Next up 184 Truax vs. Keck

Truax gets TD 3-0 They go out.
Keck gets escape 3-1
Keck close to td but they go out
1 minute left still 3-1
Blood time 20 seconds left in 1st.
Period ends. Keck goes down. More blood time. Keck gets quick escape 3-2
Keck in on leg. Good defense from Truax. stall warning on Bernie. Now more blood time. :25 left in 2nd.
Period ends, Truax goes down
Esc Truax 4-2.
Keck in on low single. But goes out
ANother stall on Bernie. 4-3.
Another stall call 4-4 then a TD Keck. Challenging the TD but it looked like a TD to me. TD awarded 7-4. Lock hands on Keck match end 7-5
that was not PSU wrestling ,go forward young man backing up usually leads to a loss!

Up next. Brooks vs. Sloan
0-0 after 1:00.
Brooks gets TD 3-0.
Brooks rides out to end the period.
Brooks goes down gets quick escape 4-0
Sweet single leg 7-0
Now cuts sloan 30 seconds to go 7-1
Td Brooks 10-1.
Safe to say Brooks can handle going 197.
Sloan takes down gets escape 10-2.
TIme runs out 11-2 with rt.
what's with Sloan grabbing the hand all day and doing nothing with it,that should be a stall!he was just doing that to keep Brooks from scoring

I did not see that coming. I knew he was bettter on the mat after their match at nationals last year but I thought neutral might lean towards Hendrickson. If Kerk wrestles like that all season there might be another name in the running for the Hodge
now that Kerk beat Hendrickson he will still be ranked no 2 on wrestle stat LOL

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Kerk always frustrated me in certain tough matches over the years when he made mental mistakes and kind of "gave" up certain positions and just kind of gave up easy takedowns. Well at the end of his match WH stuffed his shot and went for a go behind and immediately Kerk was like heck no and showed tremendous effort fighting and then eventually getting to another shot and i believe it was the last TD for the tech. Anyway DT on the mic says Kyle Snyder has been huge in helping Greg and said how he talked to him about not giving up those easy go behinds. Put a big smile on my face seeing the growth in him and the confidence in his abilities. Same with DT talking about the mindset for Carter to work for turns instead of just riding. Clearly we saw a difference tonight. Best room in the world hands down.

In his matches two weekends ago and tonight he looked like a guy still getting used to 184, and cutting weight, again.

More than just cutting weight - guys at 184 are just more active. The best defense sometimes is superior offense - which is what drawing stall calls is all about. Bernie can probably counter against the entire field except his opponent last night - he's a great scrambler so probably wouldn't get hit with stalling in Folk because he'd probably convert a lot of his counters & scrambles. He clearly was leery of Keck's Offensive superiority and went 100% defensive. IOW, Bernie probably has no future in Free, but will do just fine in Folk against anyone not named Keckiesen (sp?). He is what he is, but last time I checked NCAA uses Folk rules (which benefit a counter guy like Bernie), so he'll be fine imho.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Re: Truax, I have watched one of his matches outside of ncaa in my life and it was an extremely weird pin to Trumble last year where he looked like he turned into the pin.

I’m not all that knowledgeable on him, but last season turned out ok and I expect this one will as well.
Truax has finished 4th, 4th, and 4th at nationals so far. Obviously I want him to win a title, but if not, I'm rooting for the very rare 4X 4th place finisher.

Went over to GIA. Found out our team has 3 holes

giphy.gif

Wowzers! I don't have Flo and really wish I would have ponied up last night after reading this in the morning. I had only heard about Van Ness' win last night before I went to bed early to do some reading and figured I'd catch up in the morning. As much as I've followed PSU wrestling during Cael's tenure, I have to admit that I'm still a bit befuddled and speechless by this performance all around. Van Ness never really challenged by Parco, with his signature smile and playing to the crowd afterwards. Starocci positively destroying a guy that simply doesn't EVER get destroyed and rarely gets beaten at all. Brooks taking care of business, up a weight, just like he always takes care of business (maybe even easier than usual) and Kerk positively embarrassing someone that at least a few of us were nervous about. Geez Louise. Wow.

I'm not trying to see things too much through the blue and white glasses, but I'm not even bothered by the Truax match (although admittedly, I haven't seen it yet). He was wrestling the #1 who's given Brooks at least a bit of trouble in the past and he led the match for 2+ periods. I do admit to being somewhat bothered by ANY PSU wrestler getting tagged for more than one stall call in a match, but as others have said, he's new here, at a new weight, with new training partners and he'll work it out. I never really presumed he'd be a pre-ordained national champ after transferring here, but if anything, I'm even more convinced that he will be a high All American this year for PSU and a top 4 finish shouldn't be seen as a disappointment by anyone.

Just truly blown away by the fact that our coaching staff seems to find a way to get some of these kids to keep levelling up, season after season when you would presume that they were nearing their max potential. Amazing.

Wowzers! I don't have Flo and really wish I would have ponied up last night after reading this in the morning. I had only heard about Van Ness' win last night before I went to bed early to do some reading and figured I'd catch up in the morning. As much as I've followed PSU wrestling during Cael's tenure, I have to admit that I'm still a bit befuddled and speechless by this performance all around. Van Ness never really challenged by Parco, with his signature smile and playing to the crowd afterwards. Starocci positively destroying a guy that simply doesn't EVER get destroyed and rarely gets beaten at all. Brooks taking care of business, up a weight, just like he always takes care of business (maybe even easier than usual) and Kerk positively embarrassing someone that at least a few of us were nervous about. Geez Louise. Wow.

I'm not trying to see things too much through the blue and white glasses, but I'm not even bothered by the Truax match (although admittedly, I haven't seen it yet). He was wrestling the #1 who's given Brooks at least a bit of trouble in the past and he led the match for 2+ periods. I do admit to being somewhat bothered by ANY PSU wrestler getting tagged for more than one stall call in a match, but as others have said, he's new here, at a new weight, with new training partners and he'll work it out. I never really presumed he'd be a pre-ordained national champ after transferring here, but if anything, I'm even more convinced that he will be a high All American this year for PSU and a top 4 finish shouldn't be seen as a disappointment by anyone.

Just truly blown away by the fact that our coaching staff seems to find a way to get some of these kids to keep levelling up, season after season when you would presume that they were nearing their max potential. Amazing.
I really can’t get over how good the team looked. And I know they’ve won as much as they’ve won. But even with that considered, they made super good wrestlers look like fill ins.

Hendrickson last year went 31-2. Lost 12-5 to Parris at Cliff Keen on 12/2 and 4-2 to Kerkvliet at NCAAs. Only 2 of his wins weren’t by bonus.

At NCAAs he had three falls, including over Cassioppi and Davison, and two majors, including 17-8 over Elam.

Kerkvliet TF in 2nd period. Just wow.

re: Truax
Are we really complaining that the #2 ranked wrestler lost to the #1 ranked wrestler in November by a 7-5 score? I get the stalls complaint, but, on it's whole, the #2 guy got a feel for the number #1 guy and will be better for it come March (4 months from now!)

Just rewatched Greg’s win over Hendrickson. It was shot after shot and trying to turn on top. Action and aggression throughout. Most impressive performance I have seen since Zain’s run through NCAAs in 2017.
The only concern I saw was that the shots were all straight on blast doubles. This has gotten him in trouble with some of the bigger bodied heavies. But his sheer strength amazed me. Hendrickson is strong and quick, and Kerk made him look mediocre.

The only concern I saw was that the shots were all straight on blast doubles. This has gotten him in trouble with some of the bigger bodied heavies. But his sheer strength amazed me. Hendrickson is strong and quick, and Kerk made him look mediocre.
not really a true blast as his right hand goes to the ankle... that has been his sig TD... he is quick!

Did anyone else catch the comment Pyles made last night after 125? He said there will probably be a new No 1 at 125 after Noto lost. Thought these were exhibition matches that don't count? Not that the Flo rankings mean squat in the long run.

• Wow
Reactions: mcpat
re: Truax
Are we really complaining that the #2 ranked wrestler lost to the #1 ranked wrestler in November by a 7-5 score? I get the stalls complaint, but, on it's whole, the #2 guy got a feel for the number #1 guy and will be better for it come March (4 months from now!)
I don’t think anyone is complaining about the loss. It’s the way he lost, with a-typical PSU edge wrestling and blatant stalling. But, what I saw was a new kid on the team with his first time in Rec Hall suffer an adrenaline dump. Clearly amped up and aggressive early, but he hit a wall and cooked by the middle of the 2nd period. Lets all give the new kid a pass, expect the coaching and room experience to have an impact, and enjoy watching a really talented 3X AA become a title contender.

Did anyone else catch the comment Pyles made last night after 125? He said there will probably be a new No 1 at 125 after Noto lost. Thought these were exhibition matches that don't count? Not that the Flo rankings mean squat in the long run.
Flo thinks its fine to use the matches for their rankings. Camacho is the new #1.

They’re not official matches (they should be IMO). The coaches aren’t supposed to use them in the coaches rank which is what matters but who knows what they’ll do..

Reactions: PAgeologist
And: Cael knew all of this when he brought Truax in.

We'll get the best version of him, but he's not gonna turn into Jason Nolf.
Totally agree. PSU fans are too spoiled. Truax is an excellent and accomplished wrestler. We are lucky he chose to come to PS. We didn't have a 184 with his experience and talent. His coming to PS allows Barr to RS and gain experience Bernie its a proven 3X AA caliber wrestler and people seem to complain because he lost to the number 1 ranked guy, 7-5. He brings another probable AA to PS at NCAAs and maybe even a national champion. Either way will be fine.

Kerk has a higher career bonus rate than Carter. But narratives gonna narrative.
Last year was a real transformation for Carter. We all saw his freshman year where he kept matches close and played defense and then hit the winning move at the end or in SV/TB. Last year, he cut loose a lot more and bonused almost everyone until the tourneys except Brands, who was content to stall his way to a 2-1 loss. Especially after seeing him light up Mekhi last night, I expect more like a Zain-like bonus rate from Carter this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT