ADVERTISEMENT

NWCA ALL-STAR CLASSIC

re: Truax
Are we really complaining that the #2 ranked wrestler lost to the #1 ranked wrestler in November by a 7-5 score? I get the stalls complaint, but, on it's whole, the #2 guy got a feel for the number #1 guy and will be better for it come March (4 months from now!)
yes-we-are.gif

125, 165 and ______? Like JS, I'm curious what they're saying is the third hole. 184?
133. That was the other weight that was originally left off their list of weights where Penn State has potential finalists. If Nagao is a "hole" in the lineup, oh my. Vito is Vito obviously, and if he's on form like he was at the NCAAs last year, no one is beating him, but outside of him, I'm not worried about Grampa Fix, and there are some other strong contenders like Latona and Orine and some promising freshman in Crookham and Bouzakis, but really, Nagao is right there with everyone outside Vito, so I'm not sure that PSU can't make it 8 finalists if the chips fall right.

With Truax I noticed that he is like Gumby when it comes to flexibility and ability to do a split to avoid TD. The mat last night was fairly small and he is very tall. Led to 3 or 4 stoppages when he was doing a split to avoid TD and his foot would go beyond the edge of the mat. This led to the refs discussing and I think they eventually started calling the stalls. If there had been more room at the edge I am not sure those are converted by PK and may have simply resulted in stalemates eventually or just wrestled out of bound. Which may have given a bit more leash to Truax to not pick up multiple stall calls.

133. That was the other weight that was originally left off their list of weights where Penn State has potential finalists. If Nagao is a "hole" in the lineup, oh my. Vito is Vito obviously, and if he's on form like he was at the NCAAs last year, no one is beating him, but outside of him, I'm not worried about Grampa Fix, and there are some other strong contenders like Latona and Orine and some promising freshman in Crookham and Bouzakis, but really, Nagao is right there with everyone outside Vito, so I'm not sure that PSU can't make it 8 finalists if the chips fall right.

By that thinking; if you're not a potential finalist you are a hole.

I guess it didn't dawn on them that the same line of thinking leaves them with 9 holes.

IDK about margin of defeat, but nominate the late 1980s PSU match when Gable made them practice in the sub-zero icy parking lot afterward.
OK - that's a new one for me. What happened?

BTW, if you saw the movie Miracle with Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks, there's a very similar scene about half way through the film. Great movie!

Reactions: hlstone
Blast doubles seemed to work pretty well for Cassar...
Agreed, they did. I'm just saying that the few times we've seen Kerk in trouble on his feet the past few years, it is against larger heavyweights and a result of straight-on shots and getting caught underneath those huge bodies. The first Schultz match comes to mind and the earlier matches against Big Cass. Once Cass cut down, Kerk was able to overpower and finish. Same against Parris. The straight-on shots and moving away from the knee pick that worked so well led to trouble for him.

If only Truax hadn't already competed at 149, 165, 174, and 184 in previous years.

Yep, I know Bernie wrestled lower weights prior to 197 last year.... OP was implying that he simply ran out of gas due to weight cut - admittedly, I didn't see match, but based on pbp I was reading, it didn't sound like Keck broke him with his offensive attacks as much as he made him completely defensive. Been a couple years since Bernie wrestled 184 and he may not have anticipated the quality and quantity of Keck's attacks (often times, 197 and HWT do a lot of head and hands wrestling - there is an adjustment going back down to 184). Keck getting pretty deep on his shots may have made him tentative and 100% defensive. At the end of the day, it's to Bernie's advantage seeing him here - he now has a full season to gameplan with Cael & Co.

Was just told by one of the great Hawkeye fans out there that 2004, OkST beat the Hawks 30-10 at Carver.
The Hawks would be favored at 125 and 141. Although Drake hasn't been lighting up the scoreboard. And Bartlett is close to Woods. A shut out in Carver isn't a far stretch. A blowout loss for Iowa is pretty likely. Passing 30 points is pretty likely.

But it doesn’t actually increase action in neutral. It just gives what there is more weight. It’s a move made to try to move closer to freestyle which is what the guys at the top of the sport want without asking what the average American wrestling fan wants
If this is the case, we also need passivity, the shot clock, and the step out.

GIA complaining about Rec Hall boos during women’s match involving Iowa wrestler.

Looking forward to the adulation for Starocci, Brooks and others at CHA on 2/9. I’m certain there will be no boos from the far more knowledgeable and classy Iowa fans against those wearing blue and white singlets.
Appeasement is the only way to peace with GIA, we just need to accept our position as the village idiots of college and high school wrestling. Obviously, wrestling in Pennsylvania never existed before Carl came to Penn State.

The Hawks would be favored at 125 and 141. Although Drake hasn't been lighting up the scoreboard. And Bartlett is close to Woods. A shut out in Carver isn't a far stretch. A blowout loss for Iowa is pretty likely. Passing 30 points is pretty likely.
Considering the behavior that has occurred in the past, there is a slight possibility of Iowa's final score being -1

Slow your roll PA. Drake would still be a favorite over Braeden and Bartlett despite being close to Woods is a sizeable dog in that match. The chances of winning both of those is very low. Then add that Carver always adds some potential upsets, hard to say we're slam dunks to win 157/165 especially when stall calls will favor them there.

I would worry about Fix. In their match in the NCAA, Fix was dominating him.

Slow your roll PA. Drake would still be a favorite over Braeden and Bartlett despite being close to Woods is a sizeable dog in that match. The chances of winning both of those is very low. Then add that Carver always adds some potential upsets, hard to say we're slam dunks to win 157/165 especially when stall calls will favor them there.
I get the chances of a shutout are pretty small, but it is a possibility. And a damn exciting one at that.

OK - that's a new one for me. What happened?

BTW, if you saw the movie Miracle with Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks, there's a very similar scene about half way through the film. Great movie!
So gable copied Herb brooks and wasnt an original? That will blow minds.

I heard a while back that Austin Gomez was transferring to Iowa. Haven't heard anything recently. But, ff he's on their team by the Iowa dual, he and Van Ness could have a doozy of a match!

I heard a while back that Austin Gomez was transferring to Iowa. Haven't heard anything recently. But, ff he's on their team by the Iowa dual, he and Van Ness could have a doozy of a match!
Interesting. He's not on Michigan's roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT