ADVERTISEMENT

NWCA ALL-STAR CLASSIC

If this is the case, we also need passivity, the shot clock, and the step out.
We do.

But passivity and/or an auto stall for action the official deems that the wrestler is attempting to get OOB would probably do the trick. I mean I know we hate giving subjective judgement to officials but many at 165 and 184 were pretty clear.

Don’t need to create new rules just enforce present ones.

Sigh. I was listening to FRL and they were correctly criticizing wrestlers (like Bernie and Lewis) avoiding TDs by playing the edge. Fine - annoys me too.

Later they are discussing if AB is all alone at 197 and they bring up all his close matches with Hidlay, with JD mentioning that NC St fans have a valid gripe about the officiating. So the guy with the gripe is the same guy who literally spent 5+ minutes of every match with his butt on the line - daring AB to take a frustrated shot. And he almost succeeded one time. That is, doing the same shit (in spades) that you are rightly criticizing Truax and crew about. Hell, if only Hidlay had gotten 4 stalls in some of those matches - it might have convinced him to take a few steps forward.

So the guy with the gripe is the same guy who literally spent 5+ minutes of every match with his butt on the line - daring AB to take a frustrated shot.
If only.

maxresdefault.jpg

I wish that when Hidlay gets to the edge, Aaron would disengage and immediately return to center (by that I mean not just the front edge of the inside circle). Do it a few times and the ref will get the idea.

Slow your roll PA. Drake would still be a favorite over Braeden and Bartlett despite being close to Woods is a sizeable dog in that match. The chances of winning both of those is very low. Then add that Carver always adds some potential upsets, hard to say we're slam dunks to win 157/165 especially when stall calls will favor them there.
We are a slam dunk at 157. No further message.

Slow your roll PA. Drake would still be a favorite over Braeden and Bartlett despite being close to Woods is a sizeable dog in that match. The chances of winning both of those is very low. Then add that Carver always adds some potential upsets, hard to say we're slam dunks to win 157/165 especially when stall calls will favor them there.
There aint no way stall calls are gonna factor in at 157 and 165 unless its on the other guy or we give up one in garbage time at the end of their matches.

We do.

But passivity and/or an auto stall for action the official deems that the wrestler is attempting to get OOB would probably do the trick. I mean I know we hate giving subjective judgement to officials but many at 165 and 184 were pretty clear.

Don’t need to create new rules just enforce present ones.
Agree, but we never seem to enforce the present rules, in wrestling or society.

The score is not indicative of the match.
How did Fix dominate a match in which he got zero takedowns but was taken down, got zero near fall points, and got ridden much more than he rode?

He won the match, and this is a pretty loose definition of "dominated."

Reactions: zzs006
How did Fix dominate a match in which he got zero takedowns but was taken down, got zero near fall points, and got ridden much more than he rode?

He won the match, and this is a pretty loose definition of "dominated."
I guess you only looked at the score and did not watch the match?

Last edited:
Pretty sure he watched as did I. I think we just have a different definition of dominant. Giving up the only td and getting rode most of the match is not being dominant no matter how many times you say it is
Watch this match between Fix vs. Nagao during the regular season and tell me that Fix didn't physically dominate Nagao. This is similar in the NCAA except for the score. I respect your analysis throughout the season, but you have to be objective even though Nagao is wearing blue and white now.

A RS freshman vs a world medalist. IMO, if one is being honest that was a pretty dominant match from Fix. Fix is the same guy he has been for 4 years. I think Nagao has room for growth and if/when they meet again it should be a more competitive match.

Reactions: mhlarch
Full video of the all star classic.

Thx for posting. I've been waiting for the full All Star Classic to get uploaded to Youtube so I could see for myself how our guys looked. Gotta say WOW about the performances of Kerk, CStar, and AB. I was most impressed with those 3 and in that order.

Kerk is #1 on that list for me because I have never seen that level of fire from him from start to finish. In the past he has looked to me like it was just another day at the office, even when having dominant wins. But this time .... holy smokes!. He came in hot with bad intentions and didn't let up until he had Hendrickson dead to rights. Beforehand, I thought this match could go either way but leaned Kerk. Now I'm thinking that if that version of Kerk is what we'll see this season the only suspense will be how many bonus points he'll put up each match. It's hard to see anyone not named Gable challenging him.

CStar is #2 for me because he was relentless and put it on Mekhi in a way that just never happens to Mekhi. I expected Carter to win, but not by that margin. I assume that Mekhi coming up a bit hobbled at the end of P1 may have contributed to the lopsided score, but even if true, Carter seems like a man on a mission more than ever and the only obstacles I can imagine preventing him from getting his 4th national title are illness and/or injury, neither of which has stopped him the last 3 seasons.

AB was phenomenal as usual. But aside from curiosity about how he would fare against bigger and stronger guys at a higher weight class, I fully expected a convincing win from him. Clearly 197 will pose no greater challenge to Aaron than 184 did. Glad to have that question mark answered so resoundingly.

SVN looked good too, of course. And I expected Truax's stalling to look worse than it did based on some of the comments in this thread during the event. Clearly he has room for improvement, but I'm less worried about him than before I saw the match for myself.

So much to look forward to this season!

A RS freshman vs a world medalist. IMO, if one is being honest that was a pretty dominant match from Fix. Fix is the same guy he has been for 4 years. I think Nagao has room for growth and if/when they meet again it should be a more competitive match.
this is called 'hope'

what do you want to bet should they hit?

Fix is on the same trajectory as most other 12th year seniors: 2-2-2-4-(6 if he’s lucky maybe?). Micic is a world champion but that didn’t help him in his age 32 college season, either.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Fix is on the same trajectory as most other 12th year seniors: 2-2-2-4-(6 if he’s lucky maybe?). Micic is a world champion but that didn’t help him in his age 32 college season, either.
Fix will be 26 on March, 11, 2024. The NCAA Wrestling Championships are March 21 -23.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
Watch this match between Fix vs. Nagao during the regular season and tell me that Fix didn't physically dominate Nagao. This is similar in the NCAA except for the score. I respect your analysis throughout the season, but you have to be objective even though Nagao is wearing blue and white now.

I can’t imagine anyone arguing this match wasn’t a dominant performance but the second go around I’m not sure how I conclude it was dominant .

I can’t find it to rewatch and have no idea how people can remember the details they do.

The Oklahoma state wrestling pages say fix let up Nagao to start the third . I assume at that point in time in the match nagao already had riding time over a minute or damn close . Any Thoughts on why he did this . I mean one take down leads to a 3-3 score with riding time in your opponents favor.

Fun fact fix’s last takedown in the ncaa tournament was in the round of 16 .

Reactions: danoftw and zzs006
At NCAAs, Fix was effectively losing the match against Nagao until Nagao got banged with a third stalling call at 19 seconds left in the match, which tied it at 4-4 (giving Nagao credit for the locked riding time point). He then reversed him with, quite literally, 1 second remaining to win, with a 6-4 final score.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and zzs006
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT