ADVERTISEMENT

Finals Matchup Predictions

Do you think Brands will bench Kennedy?

Arnold can want it all he wants, but their best lineup would be Kennedy at 174 and Gabe at 184.
He won’t “bench” Kennedy, Kennedy will lose his spot in a wrestle off because Gabe is far better than him. If you’ve got a talent like Gabe in the room and he wants to challenge for 174 because he is most comfortable at that weight and wants to challenge a legend like Starocci, you don’t deny him that. It’s not like punting 184 is the difference between them winning NCAAs or not. They’re one of a number of teams battling for scraps this season. If it were the difference between a title or not, I’m sure Gabe’s attitude would be different, too. I do not expect to see Gabe at 184 at all this year. Either 174 or RS.

He won’t “bench” Kennedy, Kennedy will lose his spot in a wrestle off because Gabe is far better than him. If you’ve got a talent like Gabe in the room and he wants to challenge for 174 because he is most comfortable at that weight and wants to challenge a legend like Starocci, you don’t deny him that. It’s not like punting 184 is the difference between them winning NCAAs or not. They’re one of a number of teams battling for scraps this season. If it were the difference between a title or not, I’m sure Gabe’s attitude would be different, too. I do not expect to see Gabe at 184 at all this year. Either 174 or RS.
Brands has a choice; RS Arnold or wrestle him. In your scenario, wouldn't wrestling Gabe be tantamount to sending Kennedy to the bench?

Saw Mekhi last weekend against #20 Lorenzo Norman. He controlled it, but, didn’t look dominant. I had a chance to speak with him very briefly after the match. He’s a soft spoken nice young man, but, he seems worn out/tired. I’d bet the weight suck is tough for him. He a pretty short guy, but, given his record against Carter and what he’s given to VT, …. seems better that they let him eat at go 184. He’s not winning another Natty either way.

If Lorenzo was a bit older and grew some man strength do you think he could/would have won that match . Or is that in your opinion taking things too far.

Brands has a choice; RS Arnold or wrestle him. In your scenario, wouldn't wrestling Gabe be tantamount to sending Kennedy to the bench?
Arnold is involved in the choice, too. If you have a blue chip kid who says "I want a shot at that guy and it's his last year so I have to give it a go right now" and he's able to win the spot from the other guys in your room, are you going to tell him no? I know the actual coaches at Iowa aren't known for their decision making abilities, but if I'm in that position and a kid tells me he really wants to go (even if I first try to talk him out of it), I'm letting him go. It's much more critical for Iowa to cater to Gabe than PK.

Someone losing their position legitimately in a wrestle off is not "sending them to the bench".

I don't see Brands 'catering' to Arnold's wishes in deference to the team's best interest. Maybe the two coincide; if Tom agrees, then Gabe will go.

Either way, I don't think Gabe has enough offense to reach the finals.

If Lorenzo was a bit older and grew some man strength do you think he could/would have won that match . Or is that in your opinion taking things too far.
I didn’t know what to think about Lorenzo. His “D” was adequate (not great) and his “O” was limited … at least going against a powerful dude like Mekhi. Lorenzo could become a R-16 type guy this year and low AA by his senior year.

Reactions: Bosox2004
I don’t really see Truax as a champion type guy. High AA for sure. I put him in the finals because 184 gets pretty thin pretty quickly after Keck, but someone else could emerge from the field, too. Either way, I consider Keck a big favorite to win. Who knows, though. If it comes down to one final match vs Keck, anything can happen.
Nor I, but I didnt see Max as a threat for 97 in Dec either. Our room is magical.

Reactions: anon_d29z1jdixxwey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT