ADVERTISEMENT

Nitpicking...but to close out the half

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
Was anyone else baffled that Franklin didn't call his last two timeouts to close out the half? Is there some sort of coaching etiquette that he was following about taking a knee?

Auburn got the ball on the 3 with about 15 seconds left. Nix took a knee on the 1 yard line.

If we take a timeout...taking a knee on 2nd down gets tricky. Plus, you have the option of a botched snap. Maybe he downs it on the half yard line?

If we take another timeout...dang...I don't even think a knee could be possible. And of course, you have another botched snap possibility that might turn into a safety or a touchdown if a fumble is recovered.

Am I the only one who thought this?

No. I thought the same thing. Make them take the snaps. Anything can happen. Unlike Franklin to do that.

I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but certainly that has been Franklin’s MO in the past.

Then they break one for a long run, get a TD or kick a FG, and Franklin gets blasted for being greedy or not letting the half run out. We won so he made the right calls.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I had the same thoughts about the time outs. Why not use them and see if you can eek out a safety? Definitely wasn’t much room there to operate and we could have forced them to do two more downs.

I actually didn’t want him to give them the time a TO might provide them to figure out a deep ball. But I get your point.

I think if we just take a timeout after the completed pass with 32 seconds, maybe we don't rush in the next play which was the interception...but I don't have a lot of faith in the fg unit with Stout, who by the way nearly missed another extra point.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT