ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Beats The Spread Again

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I was surprised that Penn State scored 30 or more points 12 games and no, the longest streak in D1 football. I was also surprised to find out they have beaten the spread in about the same amount of games. I forget if it’s 10,11, or 12 but I also find out impressive

I did say it seems there’s a little controversy going on Twitter. And a few people I follow they mention how Penn State beat the spread in late games and I believe they were alluding to the gambling angle. I just figured you’re trying to get as many points as possible, but that’s me.

I know the West Virginia game West Virginia was playing hard until the end and my school thought is if you’re gonna have the first team out there or even if it’s your second team and they’re playing hard our guys play hard.

As for Beau in his touchdown pass at the end, the announcers mention that he faked going to the knee it should be a penalty. However one guy on the broadcast seemed to think he was trying to fake that he was going to run the ball, not take a knee. He was getting low to start off, running, and then through a pass.

That discussion, about Beau’s knee, was ridiculous. The ball was snapped with 2:30 on the clock IIRC It was clear he was faking a run.

On the spread, we were lucky that NW gave us the ball in scoring position twice when they failed to make it on fourth downs which led to ten easy points.

Last edited:
That discussion, about Beau’s knee, was ridiculous. The ball was snapped with 2:30 on the clock IIRC It was clear he was faking a run.

On the spread, we were lucky that NW gave us the ball in scoring position twice when they failed to make it on fourth downs which led to ten easy points.
That tackle on the fake punt -- by #12, freshman CB Zion Tracy -- was my favorite play of the day. That kid is a football player -- he recognized the play, beat the block and darted for a clean tackle just short of the sticks.

I was surprised that Penn State scored 30 or more points 12 games and no, the longest streak in D1 football. I was also surprised to find out they have beaten the spread in about the same amount of games. I forget if it’s 10,11, or 12 but I also find out impressive

I did say it seems there’s a little controversy going on Twitter. And a few people I follow they mention how Penn State beat the spread in late games and I believe they were alluding to the gambling angle. I just figured you’re trying to get as many points as possible, but that’s me.

I know the West Virginia game West Virginia was playing hard until the end and my school thought is if you’re gonna have the first team out there or even if it’s your second team and they’re playing hard our guys play hard.

As for Beau in his touchdown pass at the end, the announcers mention that he faked going to the knee it should be a penalty. However one guy on the broadcast seemed to think he was trying to fake that he was going to run the ball, not take a knee. He was getting low to start off, running, and then through a pass.
It certainly looked like he faked taking a knee, but that's not a penalty. It is to be blown dead and that's what the refs should have done.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
It certainly looked like he faked taking a knee, but that's not a penalty. It is to be blown dead and that's what the refs should have done.
It was a weird play because there would have been no reason to take a knee. I think the analyst was right that he was probably trying to simulate going into a running stance, which looked like he was taking a knee. It would have been a cheap call.

And speaking of calls, it would sure be nice if the Big Ten went over their definition of "unsportsmanlike conduct" some time for the benefit of PSU players.

Like, how it includes smiling and gently tossing a ball to the opposing team's players after they make a bunch of probably profane catcalls at a PSU player. That is definitely a big threat to the sanctity of college sports and should be severely punished.

I get it, #1's been a little too amped up. But is he really not allowed to use swear words on a football field? Is he just supposed to say "thank you" every time an opposing player calls him whatever? Seems like B1G officials are picking on him now (they definitely were watching him at the sideline yesterday with their fingers on the flag).

I thought he was taking a knee myself but when they talked about it I agreed he was faking a run.

It still counts, the spread isn’t based on luck. If I had to guess I would say that Vegas have some very smart guys were very good with odds, statistics and analysis, and computing. Probably as good as the guys that work for space programs, may be better considering the amount of money in gambling.

I’m betting they have a computer running a few million simulations for every game before a line is set and then they constantly update it according to their model and the amount of money on each side.

It was a weird play because there would have been no reason to take a knee. I think the analyst was right that he was probably trying to simulate going into a running stance, which looked like he was taking a knee. It would have been a cheap call.

And speaking of calls, it would sure be nice if the Big Ten went over their definition of "unsportsmanlike conduct" some time for the benefit of PSU players.

Like, how it includes smiling and gently tossing a ball to the opposing team's players after they make a bunch of probably profane catcalls at a PSU player. That is definitely a big threat to the sanctity of college sports and should be severely punished.

I get it, #1's been a little too amped up. But is he really not allowed to use swear words on a football field? Is he just supposed to say "thank you" every time an opposing player calls him whatever? Seems like B1G officials are picking on him now (they definitely were watching him at the sideline yesterday with their fingers on the flag).
I saw more “unsportsmanlike” plays in other games I watched that weren’t called. I also saw the QB from Va Tech score a TD and spiked the ball in his excitement and he got called for it…then later a guy scored and did the moonwalk in the end zone and didn’t get called…which one is worse? There’s no consistency and there needs to be. Let them play unless it’s egregious.

Reactions: Westcoast24
I saw more “unsportsmanlike” plays in other games I watched that weren’t called. I also saw the QB from Va Tech score a TD and spiked the ball in his excitement and he got called for it…then later a guy scored and did the moonwalk in the end zone and didn’t get called…which one is worse? There’s no consistency and there needs to be. Let them play unless it’s egregious.
You can't toss the ball or hand it to him. done deal. Called every time. CJF called this out as being "ridiculous" in his post-game comments and I am willing to bet KLS gets an earful in film study.

Reactions: Westcoast24
You can't toss the ball or hand it to him. done deal. Called every time. CJF called this out as being "ridiculous" in his post-game comments and I am willing to bet KLS gets an earful in film study.
But should it be called is the question. I see a lot worse not being called.

But should it be called is the question. I see a lot worse not being called.
It isn't a discretionary call. If you toss the ball the the defender, it is a foul. Unlike talking trash to a tackled opponent where body positioning and word usage is discretionary, if you toss a ball at a defender it is going to get called. Even if you hand it to him it will get called. I saw a play where a player turned away and tossed the ball behind him and it hit a defender. The refs huddled after the coach complained but didn't throw the flag thinking the kid was just tossing the ball away and not at the defender. The defender just got in the way, but it was almost thrown.

It isn't a discretionary call. If you toss the ball the the defender, it is a foul. Unlike talking trash to a tackled opponent where body positioning and word usage is discretionary, if you toss a ball at a defender it is going to get called. Even if you hand it to him it will get called. I saw a play where a player turned away and tossed the ball behind him and it hit a defender. The refs huddled after the coach complained but didn't throw the flag thinking the kid was just tossing the ball away and not at the defender. The defender just got in the way, but it was almost thrown.
I understand that, but maybe the rule should be changed. These players are professionals these days and want to be treated like them, so they should be able to handle someone handing the ball to them.

Reactions: Obliviax

Agreed on the tossing the ball. Worse happens several times a game.

Weren’t we on defense on that play?

Regarding covering the spread, I do think it is intentional on Franklin’s part but not because of gambling. I think he is trying to play a PR game and have PSU look good in all the things the talking heads rant about. So saying “undefeated against the spread” is very much something that looks favorable for PSU.

Weren’t we on defense on that play?
I don't think so. I think KLS caught an out pass and went OOB while the defender hit him. KLS tossed the ball into the defender's gut, not very hard, but still did it. Ref threw the flag.

Regarding covering the spread, I do think it is intentional on Franklin’s part but not because of gambling. I think he is trying to play a PR game and have PSU look good in all the things the talking heads rant about. So saying “undefeated against the spread” is very much something that looks favorable for PSU.
I agree , we’ve seen how certain voters look at victory margins .

Reactions: ram2020 and bison13
You’re all missing the point. This is the continued evolution of Franklin as a coach, and his understanding of modern football. Bettors are fans also, plus they when winning on wagers are potential NIL donors.

Reactions: bison13
I don't think so. I think KLS caught an out pass and went OOB while the defender hit him. KLS tossed the ball into the defender's gut, not very hard, but still did it. Ref threw the flag.
Don’t think so - we were on defense. The pass was closer to our defender and he picked it up and tossed it to the jawing players on the sideline, not the receiver.

Reactions: Obliviax
If he wanted to cover the spread, he would keep the starters in. I don’t think he cares about the spread, but I agree he does care about perception as do all coaches with playoff aspirations.

If he wanted to cover the spread, he would keep the starters in. I don’t think he cares about the spread, but I agree he does care about perception as do all coaches with playoff aspirations.
I don’t think that covering the spread is viewed as essential- at least not more important than getting the backups needed experience- but it’s probably a small motivation to keep trying to score rather than let the backups just run out the clock. Like I don’t think we would use timeouts or run hurry up to score but we are willing to actually run plays with the backups and not just kneel

Agree, and it looked obvious to me. I didn't see the game on TV so I watched highlights on YouTube. It was blatantly a fake run, not even close to faking a knee. The thought never occurred to me watching it. I don't know what's wrong with some people.

Agree, and it looked obvious to me. I didn't see the game on TV so I watched highlights on YouTube. It was blatantly a fake run, not even close to faking a knee. The thought never occurred to me watching it. I don't know what's wrong with some people.
If this “isn’t even close to faking a knee”, then I don’t know what is…

If this “isn’t even close to faking a knee”, then I don’t know what is…

Those are still photos. He clearly starts to run forward then puts on the brakes. If you are giving yourself up to run out the clock you don’t run forward. Plus, they don’t blow the whistle until the knee hits unless the player slides feet first.

Reactions: OzLion
Those are still photos. He clearly starts to run forward then puts on the brakes. If you are giving yourself up to run out the clock you don’t run forward. Plus, they don’t blow the whistle until the knee hits unless the player slides feet first.
I think he was either faking the knee, or faking a fumble or something…certainly very close to taking the knee. He took about half a step forward then dropped down. And if he does fake a knee, that kills the play. (And I’m not saying that the play called for a fake knee, but it certainly looked like that’s what he was doing)

I think he was either faking the knee, or faking a fumble or something…certainly very close to taking the knee. He took about half a step forward then dropped down. And if he does fake a knee, that kills the play. (And I’m not saying that the play called for a fake knee, but it certainly looked like that’s what he was doing)
I’ve never seen refs stop a play before the player was down, physically, unless he slides.i watched games, even this last weekend, where the QB hesitated going to his knee to take more time off the clock.

I’ve never seen refs stop a play before the player was down, physically, unless he slides.i watched games, even this last weekend, where the QB hesitated going to his knee to take more time off the clock.
You can hesitate and still be good…but once you simulate taking the knee, it kills a play.

You can hesitate and still be good…but once you simulate taking the knee, it kills a play.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. He clearly wasn’t simulating that and I’ve never once seen that called.

Watching it live, it didn't come across as faking a kneel down. Butt (color guy) explained it pretty good after the rules analyst brought it up. Beau may have stopped too abruptly and almost went down, but nothing about the motion of his 10 teammates says "let's fake a kneel down while one guy secretly runs a route".

The entire purpose of this play was to show that after 4 weeks of Beau the Battering Ram, be careful: he can throw.

The entire purpose of this play was to show that after 4 weeks of Beau the Battering Ram, be careful: he can throw.

This. A running quarterback fakes a run and then backs up (he was moving forward) to throw.

To their credit (listening, Iowa coaches?) I have not heard any Northwestern coaches complaining about this.

Reactions: lazydave841
You’re all missing the point. This is the continued evolution of Franklin as a coach, and his understanding of modern football. Bettors are fans also, plus they when winning on wagers are potential NIL donors.
Bingo. When college football betting is legal, and donors are likely to put down big bets, it is nice to know they have a coach who will cover the spread whenever possible.

This. A running quarterback fakes a run and then backs up (he was moving forward) to throw.

To their credit (listening, Iowa coaches?) I have not heard any Northwestern coaches complaining about this.
Iowa is still fixated on lying about Joe.

Bingo. When college football betting is legal, and donors are likely to put down big bets, it is nice to know they have a coach who will cover the spread whenever possible.
Um, no…if he was concerned with covering the spread he wouldn’t have taken the starters out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT