ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite sequence of the game

NoBareFeet

Sep 5, 2019
Third quarter. Franklin is going to go for a fourth and three. Play clock is running down, so he takes a time out so they don't get the delay of game. A very valuable second half time out in a close game. Then... they punt!

If you are going to punt, why not just take the delay of game? The stuff this guy does is simply amazing.

Unfortunately, he continues to crack in big games. I thought we turned the corner in the Rose Bowl last year, but I was wrong. I’m just so embarrassed by that abomination today. And I was even there to witness it! I only go to one game a year and my last witnessed loss was the miserable Toledo game many years ago.

Third quarter. Franklin is going to go for a fourth and three. Play clock is running down, so he takes a time out so they don't get the delay of game. A very valuable second half time out in a close game. Then... they punt!

If you are going to punt, why not just take the delay of game? The stuff this guy does is simply amazing.
Because he is so in his own head that he does not know what he’s doing minute to the next in his own mind.

He’s talked about “being elite”. He knows these games measure him and he’s not measuring up.

He’s talked about “getting the right QB”, and he has supposedly gotten one and looks terrible on O.

I’m certain he was going to punt in the first half and heard the boos on the 4th and 6, so he went for it. I’m also certain that someone got in his ear on the timeout you are referring to.

It’s a pretty interesting psychological thing right now because I really think that their awareness of the gravity of the games against OSU and UM have caused them to coach/approach in a lot of ways. The tightness is apparent and the guys play like that. Even on D, they missed a lot of gap integrity stuff they just don’t miss often (even though the defense obviously played well enough to win).

Because he did the same thing in the OSU game. Every fiber in his body wants to go for the first down, but the Time Out allowed him to come to his senses and make the right decision.

Because he is so in his own head that he does not know what he’s doing minute to the next in his own mind.

He’s talked about “being elite”. He knows these games measure him and he’s not measuring up.

He’s talked about “getting the right QB”, and he has supposedly gotten one and looks terrible on O.

I’m certain he was going to punt in the first half and heard the boos on the 4th and 6, so he went for it. I’m also certain that someone got in his ear on the timeout you are referring to.

It’s a pretty interesting psychological thing right now because I really think that their awareness of the gravity of the games against OSU and UM have caused them to coach/approach in a lot of ways. The tightness is apparent and the guys play like that. Even on D, they missed a lot of gap integrity stuff they just don’t miss often (even though the defense obviously played well enough to win).
It was DeLuca and Eldson who gave up the 2 big runs. Coincidentally they are our weakest links on D.

Credit UM with "not running away from success." It is very frustrating, but they beat us and deserved the W. Credit their players and coaches.

I was hoping today would be a change in our direction. Wishful thinking.....

It was DeLuca and Eldson who gave up the 2 big runs. Coincidentally they are our weakest links on D.

Credit UM with "not running away from success." It is very frustrating, but they beat us and deserved the W. Credit their players and coaches.

Elsdon killed them last year in this game too.

Still, I thought there were some very basic fill, contain spots where they just kind of got out of position where they have been better (and were several times in this game but it only takes a few against a great team to kill you).

I don’t know if the tv coverage picked this up, but on the illegal substitution penalty, the PSU player was at the sideline and couldn’t figure out if he was supposed to take the field or not. Along with that, we had only 10 guys on the field until he sprinted on the field just before Michigan snapped it. The crowd was screaming for the team to call timeout. Inexplicably, no timeout was called.

Reactions: psu00
I don’t know if the tv coverage picked this up, but on the illegal substitution penalty, the PSU player was at the sideline and couldn’t figure out if he was supposed to take the field or not. Along with that, we had only 10 guys on the field until he sprinted on the field just before Michigan snapped it. The crowd was screaming for the team to call timeout. Inexplicably, no timeout was called.
I believe that Mich had a late offensive substitution on that play so shouldn’t the refs have stopped play until we could sub? Or is that pro only?

Elsdon killed them last year in this game too.

Still, I thought there were some very basic fill, contain spots where they just kind of got out of position where they have been better (and were several times in this game but it only takes a few against a great team to kill you).
Many of the long runs against us were because the outside containment….either defensive end or outside linebacker….crashed in too hard and didn’t play contain like they are supposed to. Once the back hit around the corner it was a foot race with the d backs.

Reactions: psu00
Many of the long runs against us were because the outside containment….either defensive end or outside linebacker….crashed in too hard and didn’t play contain like they are supposed to. Once the back hit around the corner it was a foot race with the d backs.
Yup. Was a problem as well.

Attention to detail and discipline are lacking on Franklin’s teams.

Reactions: lion4ever76
The ref said 12 on the field - and there was 12 with the late run on.

Reactions: wilbury

This is 4th grade level coaching. Sad.

To be fair DeLuca had outside containment but was held by 89. 89 was the star of the game for UM. He held badly on three critical runs and drew the PI call on King.

Unfortunately, he continues to crack in big games. I thought we turned the corner in the Rose Bowl last year, but I was wrong. I’m just so embarrassed by that abomination today. And I was even there to witness it! I only go to one game a year and my last witnessed loss was the miserable Toledo game many years ago.
We won the Rose Bowl because Cam Rising got hurt not because we turned the corner.

You must not watch much football. This happens frequently in other games as well.

You must not watch much football. This happens frequently in other games as well.
No it doesn't. I never see a team call timeout to punt. Never. Especially not in the 2nd half of a close game where timeouts will be at a premium.

DeLuca was “hooked and held” by the tackle or tight end , as the RB ran around the left side…bad no call. Number 43 completely took himself out of the play. There was a MASSIVE open hole to plug to his left ( where RB’s tend to go), but 43 went to his right ….behind a mass of humanity and a rugby scrum….just like last year.

Last edited:

I was listening on my phone to Jones/Ham and PSU defense get abused when Elsdon & DeLuca where in. Heard Ham mention several times that they couldn't get off their blocks or missed tackles. Why is Elsdon still playing on defense? Special teams, OK. That's it.

I was listening on my phone to Jones/Ham and PSU defense get abused when Elsdon & DeLuca where in.
Deluca is one of the best players on this football team. If he looked different, people would be praising his athleticism and instincts.

No it doesn't. I never see a team call timeout to punt. Never. Especially not in the 2nd half of a close game where timeouts will be at a premium.
Clown post. It happens frequently where the team looks like they are going to go for it, then calls time out and chooses to punt. I get that you lie awake at night thinking of things to criticize Franklin about, but stop with the BS.

Clown post. It happens frequently where the team looks like they are going to go for it, then calls time out and chooses to punt. I get that you lie awake at night thinking of things to criticize Franklin about, but stop with the BS.
If you think calling a timeout in the 2nd half of a close game so you can punt instead of taking the 5 yard delay of game penalty isn't a bad coaching decision, the only thing I can say is, good morning, Mr. Franklin!

I think not having that 3rd timeout played a part in the awful decision to go for the 4th and 6 on their own 30 that officially lost them the game. Awful decisions beget more awful decisions. The 2 point try down 14-9 is another example of that.

Cephas looked lost on that play, Allar was trying to get him into position and the play clock was running out. They were going to go for it until we didn't line up fast enough, then changed their mind once they had more time to discuss it.

Cephas looked lost on that play, Allar was trying to get him into position and the play clock was running out. They were going to go for it until we didn't line up fast enough, then changed their mind once they had more time to discuss it.
Thanks to Cephas JF made a good decision then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT