ADVERTISEMENT

Nitpicking according to my son

pittpsu

Dec 23, 2003
Richmond, VA
Can’t remember exactly the NFL game this weekend, but Team X had the ball on Team Y’s 45 yard line - 4th and 2

Quarterback throws a 25 yard, under thrown, ball to defensive player. He could have just knocked it down, but caught it on the 20 and was tackled at the 20 (no surprise with the arc of the pass). Defense goes crazy and does dances - I thought “that was dumb, cost the team 25 yards”.

Thoughts?

Well one to look at it iis maybe there's some penalty pending. Possibly at worst replay the down.

Reactions: bison13
I’ve just come to accept that every defensive player on earth wants the interception in that spot, even though it’s a bad play.
Lots of these guys have incentives in the contract, and that one INT might bring them some serious cash.

One of my former players that I coached in high school played in the NFL and he got an extra 50 grand if he had three interceptions on the season. And an extra hundred grand if he had five.

Lots of these guys have incentives in the contract, and that one INT might bring them some serious cash.

One of my former players that I coached in high school played in the NFL and he got an extra 50 grand if he had three interceptions on the season. And an extra hundred grand if he had five.
Yep, incentives, name recognition, replays on tv, News shows, highlight shows, social media hits. Not good for team, but good for individual.

Last edited:
Can’t remember exactly the NFL game this weekend, but Team X had the ball on Team Y’s 45 yard line - 4th and 2

Quarterback throws a 25 yard, under thrown, ball to defensive player. He could have just knocked it down, but caught it on the 20 and was tackled at the 20 (no surprise with the arc of the pass). Defense goes crazy and does dances - I thought “that was dumb, cost the team 25 yards”.

Thoughts?
I think it's a combination of instinct and not understanding the impact. I don't believe many guys are like "picking this off would be dumb but I'm going to do it anyway" but it does bring up the issue with incentives in a contract for picks

Thoughts?
Its hard to judge without seeing the play. Did he have room to run it back?

Its hard to judge without seeing the play. Did he have room to run it back?
It was Minnesota against Detroit. Detroit had 4th and 2 at the Minnesota 40. Branch from Detroit was falling backward as he picked it at the 20 and had no chance at a return…so they lost 20 yards of field position in the sequence.

Here is the play…

Didn’t think of
Yep, incentives, name recognition, replays on tv, News shoes, highlight shows, social media hits. Not good for team, but good for individual.
Have you seen the Jack Ham video where he gives a scholarship to a walk on?
He talks about it indirectly by telling about Joe
Greene getting double teamed but didn’t complain.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Didn’t think of

Have you seen the Jack Ham video where he gives a scholarship to a walk on?
He talks about it indirectly by telling about Joe
Greene getting double teamed but didn’t complain.
Edit ; was supposed to be news shows,

Didn’t see the Ham interview but that was two generations ago. Times have certainly changed!

Thoughts?
I think it was probably instinct more than anything.

Thoughts?

You’re completely right. It should have been knocked into the ground. Too many players today have no awareness of in game situations, (and many are all about themselves rather than the team).

I thought something similar at the end of the Eagles game. NY was down 8 and driving. Last play was a throw into the end zone. Instead of smacking it into the ground, the Eagles player intercepted the ball and took a few steps in the end zone until tackled. I kept waiting for a Giants player to strip the ball and have it called a fumble and Giants TD. It would have tracked with the Eagles recent level of play. ;)

It was Minnesota against Detroit. Detroit had 4th and 2 at the Minnesota 40. Branch from Detroit was falling backward as he picked it at the 20 and had no chance at a return…so they lost 20 yards of field position in the sequence.

Here is the play…
Devil's in the details. Watching the clip, I'm fine with. He was fully extended in the air. In that scenario, it's hard to swat/bat/etc without potentially creating a tip drill scenario for a Vikings receiver that might have been in the vicinity. Catching it 100% kept it away from the Vikings.

Thoughts?
I think it's a heat of the moment kind of thing. A lot like scoring a TD to take an 8 pt lead instead of running out the clock.

In the heat of battle.......the players are trained to intercept passes...... period. It's almost instinctive, without thought of field position. It's understandable.
...and they are trained to secure the ball first bat it down second. Deflections can still on occassion result in a pass completion for the offense.

Thoughts?
Heat of the moment. I've seen similar many times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT