ADVERTISEMENT

I thought Allar was just spectacular last night

He isn't better than Hackenberg during the second half of a his freshmen year. He probably will be next year but not right now and he isn't better than Clifford or Clark either.
what???

you may be right about Clark, but just no on the others

He's going through his reads and not forcing the ball, simply throwing it away when nothing is there. He's calm out there.
Can we admit that some of the credit for Allars success can go to Sean Clifford. Though Clifford does not have Allars size, talent and arm strength he is smart, and sitting in the film room with Clifford helped Allar's development.

He isn't better than Hackenberg during the second half of a his freshmen year. He probably will be next year but not right now and he isn't better than Clifford or Clark either.
He shows up even after his pathetically bad prediction, yet he thinks we should listen to even more of his idiotic dribble. Allar was better in high school than Hack was at PSU. Keep hoping he fails, at some point you need to just find another team.

This was a perfect game for a hyped kid to try and do too much in difficult conditions. For a true Freshman second-year player, he was really smart. He took what was given and threw the ball away when nothing was there. If you look at the TD passes:
  • 9 yard pass to Dinkins on a rope and in a window that wasn't more than 9 inches. Dinkins was covered well on a crossing pattern. More, it was Dinkins first play and first catch. Point here is that Allar didn't lock onto his favorite receiver.
  • 2 yard TD to Warren. Warren was wide open on the play but that is because the setup was so good. PSU pretended to run, then pass, to the right. Allar carried out the fake and then looked left. Warren was wide open. Sometimes people short-arm throws to wide-open receivers. Allar threw a perfect pass; not too far, not too short, not too hard. The least impressive of his TD passes, to be sure, but executed perfectly regardless.
  • 7 yard TD to Warren. This was on a ROPE to a TE that wasn't all that open. Nobody was open. Warren was the most open. This is when the announcer said "you are looking at an NFL quarterback". Again, not a spectacular pass but one that was made after going through his progressions. His quick decision, release and velocity made it such that Warren was the only one prepared for the ball. The D didn't have time to react once Allar mentally committed to where he was throwing the ball.
  • 3 yard pass to KLS. This ball was dropped into the bucket with a soft floater to a WR who was not even close to being open. But Allar put it on a dime and KLS made a great catch. Again, KLS was not the primary target (I don't think).
I counted two more drops and a couple of passes that were miscommunications between the receiver and Allar. BTW, Cephas was one of those cases but he really looks athletic enough to see he can play at this level.

On a night when it was tough to pass, one that Danielson said was his most difficult environment to play in, Allar was 25 for 37 for 166 yards, 4 TDs and zero turnovers. And I don't think he played in the entire fourth quarter.
Agree, those were 4 really great plays/throws. But equally exceptional is his calm, the efficient way he runs the offense. His football IQ is just off the charts, he sees the whole field, is rarely surprised and never seems worried. He smiles and enjoys the game. His confidence clearly rubs off on the other offensive players.

I agree with what others have said, we can just sit back and enjoy the ride. It's such a pleasure watching him play - and he makes stars out of everybody around him too.

This is going to be a special team. Not quite as gifted as 1994 offensively but this defense leaves 1994 in the dust. It still takes good fortune/lack of injuries but they have all the ingredients -- players and coaching -- to have a very special year.

The only thing I found lacking last night was deep/vertical passing. Probably a smart decision given the weather. Obviously it was not needed and would have just added to the beat down.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Franklin has a good record with QBs. The three previous starters and two of their backups have made active NFL rosters.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
This was a perfect game for a hyped kid to try and do too much in difficult conditions. For a true Freshman second-year player, he was really smart. He took what was given and threw the ball away when nothing was there. If you look at the TD passes:
  • 9 yard pass to Dinkins on a rope and in a window that wasn't more than 9 inches. Dinkins was covered well on a crossing pattern. More, it was Dinkins first play and first catch. Point here is that Allar didn't lock onto his favorite receiver.
  • 2 yard TD to Warren. Warren was wide open on the play but that is because the setup was so good. PSU pretended to run, then pass, to the right. Allar carried out the fake and then looked left. Warren was wide open. Sometimes people short-arm throws to wide-open receivers. Allar threw a perfect pass; not too far, not too short, not too hard. The least impressive of his TD passes, to be sure, but executed perfectly regardless.
  • 7 yard TD to Warren. This was on a ROPE to a TE that wasn't all that open. Nobody was open. Warren was the most open. This is when the announcer said "you are looking at an NFL quarterback". Again, not a spectacular pass but one that was made after going through his progressions. His quick decision, release and velocity made it such that Warren was the only one prepared for the ball. The D didn't have time to react once Allar mentally committed to where he was throwing the ball.
  • 3 yard pass to KLS. This ball was dropped into the bucket with a soft floater to a WR who was not even close to being open. But Allar put it on a dime and KLS made a great catch. Again, KLS was not the primary target (I don't think).
I counted two more drops and a couple of passes that were miscommunications between the receiver and Allar. BTW, Cephas was one of those cases but he really looks athletic enough to see he can play at this level.

On a night when it was tough to pass, one that Danielson said was his most difficult environment to play in, Allar was 25 for 37 for 166 yards, 4 TDs and zero turnovers. And I don't think he played in the entire fourth quarter.
I can’t believe Dunkins caught that pass. Soon as Allar threw it I said “oh, crap”. Thought there was no way he’d catch a pass thrown that hard in the rain. IMHO it was a heck of a catch.

The only thing I found lacking last night was deep/vertical passing. Probably a smart decision given the weather. Obviously it was not needed and would have just added to the beat down.

Phil Parker's D is designed to take away vertical passing and give up short passing. You have to get positive yards for 3 plays to get first downs against them, but a lot of teams can't do that because there's always a missed block or a penalty or something to stop a drive. You have to play with a lot of consistency to beat Iowa and PSU is capable of doing that.

Allar's velocity gives you an extra maybe 2-3 yards on the sideline throws, and that's big.

The other thing is running backs (especially Allen) who can squirt through a tiny NFL-size hole and get 3-4 yards. It was amazing the PSU backs averaged something like 3.5 yards a carry and they played a REALLY good game.

Being able to sneak reliably was really big for them too -- Allar is a big long guy and with a big line up front and Warren pushing from behind -- there won't be many teams that can stop that.

LOL I so badly want to know who you are when you post this stuff.

A warped, bitter contrarian?

A *very* committed troll from a rival fanbase? (Most likely and, at the same time, saddest scenario)

Trying your best to be relevant?

I refuse to believe you are an actual person with these outrageous viewpoints, unless you have been told your whole life by your mom that you are the smartest and handsomest kid in school despite never being invited to any birthday parties?

It used to upset me as a casual board reader how obtuse your takes are, but now I'm fascinated. Mental illness, brain injury, and Andy Kauffman-esque schtick are all options on the table. Those with less restraint will get sucked into your game, but I'm betting you are a lonely Boomer with an antisocial personality and too much time on your hands.

But I've been wrong before, so who knows what your issue truly is... horribly out of touch legit football fan, victim of a crippling emotional ailment, or unloved attention seeker?

So sad for you no matter which it is.

Not quite as gifted as 1994 offensively but this defense leaves 1994 in the dust.
IN the dust? I’m not going that far. 1994 had the luxury of knowing the O could essentially score at will. 2023 might be better, but i think it could be a coin flip

Reactions: 91Joe95

A *very* committed troll from a rival fanbase? (Most likely and, at the same time, saddest scenario)

I refuse to believe you are an actual person with these outrageous viewpoints, unless you have been told your whole life by your mom that you are the smartest and handsomest kid in school despite never being invited to any birthday parties?

It used to upset me as a casual board reader how obtuse your takes are, but now I'm fascinated. Mental illness, brain injury, and Andy Kauffman-esque schtick are all options on the table. Those with less restraint will get sucked into your game, but I'm betting you are a lonely Boomer with an antisocial personality and too much time on your hands.

But I've been wrong before, so who knows what your issue truly is... horribly out of touch legit football fan, victim of a crippling emotional ailment, or unloved attention seeker?

Cool NIckname :)

Peggy Pigeon. Definitely contrary. Doesn't like Franklin. Seems really connected to BOB and Hack.

Allar right now would be a better NFL QB than Justin Fields there's no sane comparison of Allar to Clifford or Hack. Though Hack at one point was considered to be a potential top overall pick due to his play. I think some do forget that because of how things ended.

Allar right now would be a better NFL QB than Justin Fields there's no sane comparison of Allar to Clifford or Hack. Though Hack at one point was considered to be a potential top overall pick due to his play. I think some do forget that because of how things ended.
I mean if that is their legitimate take despite mountains of evidence vs untapped potential with Allar, then they truly have horrible understanding of talent evaluation of football players and specifically QBs in general. I'm no front office executive but you almost have to be intentionally contrarian to have that type of take.

It remains to be seen what Allar is/will be, but we've seen what the others are/have become.

I mean if that is their legitimate take despite mountains of evidence vs untapped potential with Allar, then they truly have horrible understanding of talent evaluation of football players and specifically QBs in general. I'm no front office executive but you almost have to be intentionally contrarian to have that type of take.

It remains to be seen what Allar is/will be, but we've seen what the others are/have become.
I'm not talking about their take. I'm not sure what they're trying to say. Hack as a freshman was extremely highly thought of just not here but my pretty much everyone. I just think people forget. He still went in the second round despite everything

IN the dust? I’m not going that far. 1994 had the luxury of knowing the O could essentially score at will. 2023 might be better, but i think it could be a coin flip
The '94 defense was mediocre at best

this one is very good

Hack is from an era where evaluation was highly based off of height weight arm strength and how you looked in a t shirt and shorts. He was a 50% passer in HS, but he looked like what you would draw an NFL QB to be.

It's not a detriment to Hack. It's just reality.

I can’t believe Dunkins caught that pass. Soon as Allar threw it I said “oh, crap”. Thought there was no way he’d catch a pass thrown that hard in the rain. IMHO it was a heck of a catch.
All this bullspit about a 2nd WR. Clifford, Dinkins, Walkace, and others have made some great catches. We are not throwing deep because of the low hanging fruit given us by secondaries keeping everything on front of them.
4 games and no turnovers.

Reactions: blair10
Hack is from an era where evaluation was highly based off of height weight arm strength and how you looked in a t shirt and shorts. He was a 50% passer in HS, but he looked like what you would draw an NFL QB to be.

Agreed.

Here's the other layer to this: the B1G was bad in 2013 and BOB was a legit good to great QB coach that year. Hack knew where to go with the ball based on scheme and playcall, and in hindsight much of it was due to good QB coaching. Hack had tremendous physical attributes and I'm forever grateful that he stuck with us through his commitment and career, but his feel for the game and ability to process reads as a QB proved a weakness that prevented him from reaching the ceiling his physical gifts provided him. His short lived NFL career bears this out. Great kid with tremendous physical talent, not NFL QB material as far as natural instincts, feel for the game, and ability to distribute the ball.

We shall see what Allar can become, but the way he commanded the game in terrible conditions last night leaves me optimistic.

Agreed.

Here's the other layer to this: the B1G was bad in 2013 and BOB was a legit good to great QB coach that year. Hack knew where to go with the ball based on scheme and playcall, and in hindsight much of it was due to good QB coaching. Hack had tremendous physical attributes and I'm forever grateful that he stuck with us through his commitment and career, but his feel for the game and ability to process reads as a QB proved a weakness that prevented him from reaching the ceiling his physical gifts provided him. His short lived NFL career bears this out. Great kid with tremendous physical talent, not NFL QB material as far as natural instincts, feel for the game, and ability to distribute the ball.

We shall see what Allar can become, but the way he commanded the game in terrible conditions last night leaves me optimistic.
This is fair but I'd also the Big Ten is right now a 3 team league with everyone else being subpar. This isn't anything negative about Allar, I think he's a top 5 pick in 2025, just a reality of the state of the Big Ten.

This is fair but I'd also the Big Ten is right now a 3 team league with everyone else being subpar. This isn't anything negative about Allar, I think he's a top 5 pick in 2025, just a reality of the state of the Big Ten.
I don't disagree with you, but the talent level between B1G 2013 and 2023 isn't comparable. #2 OSU lost to #10 Sparty in the championship game and these were the only two teams even somewhat relevant on the national scene that year. The NFL draft breakdown at the time not only proves what the perception of B1G talent was at the time among NFL talent evaluators, but has also proven since that there were few generational NFL talents playing in the B1G that year as the next decade would demonstrate:

NFL players Drafted 2013
SEC - 49
ACC - 42
PAC 12 - 34
B1G - 30

Again, none of this has anything to do with what Allar will or won't become. But I will stand by my assertion that the league was incredibly weak that year, PSU and Hack in particular were the beneficiaries of good to great offensive coaching and strong talent at the offensive skill positions with Robinson and Jesse James, and Hack regressed to his mean in the ensuing years.

Good football conversation either way. I appreciate your perspective.

You are correct. Hack looked like Tarzan but played like Jane. Looking the part does not mean you can play. People forget that in Hack’s first year all-B1G Allen Robinson had to make many acrobatic catches because Hack was not very accurate.

Once Robinson graduated, Hack’s accuracy issues became more obvious to people and he looked like the poor QB he was. Hack was also a poor decision maker and took many unnecessary sacks.

From a historical context, I’d say Hack is arguably the biggest bust in Penn State Football history.

Reactions: lazydave841
also morelli was a 5 star. there have been plenty who came here and elsewhere and the hype didn't match what actually happened. it's not fair to single out one as a bust and ignore that this happens all the time

Morelli didn't live up to the hype either. Being sandwiched between MRob and Clark puts him in perspective a little better. Physical tools mean little if you are inaccurate, can't read a defense, and cost your team wins.

Agreed.

Hack was made by ARob…he had over 40% of the catches. Once he was gone, so was Hack.

Morelli didn't live up to the hype either. Being sandwiched between MRob and Clark puts him in perspective a little better. Physical tools mean little if you are inaccurate, can't read a defense, and cost your team wins.
also his senior year was the all-time peak of PSU coaching staff dysfunction, IIRC

Morelli was demonstrably worse than Hack in all metrics. Physical tools aside, he was mostly inept during his tenure at PSU.

He hates Franklin so much he will twist into pretzels to try and find anything and everything to blame Franklin. He says at the beginning of a season we will go 7-5 due to the tough schedule…then when we go 10-2 it’s because the schedule was so easy. He said we will be in for a big letdown this year because we don’t have that easy schedule this year, but now that we’re winning, suddenly the schedule is easy again.

Yeah, for as much as that '94 team was known for its offense, the defense actually put quite a few in the NFL too.

He hates Franklin so much he will twist into pretzels to try and find anything and everything to blame Franklin. He says at the beginning of a season we will go 7-5 due to the tough schedule…then when we go 10-2 it’s because the schedule was so easy. He said we will be in for a big letdown this year because we don’t have that easy schedule this year, but now that we’re winning, suddenly the schedule is easy again.
What type of mental imbalance or personal agenda could cause an anonymous internet message board poster to go to such lengths? It’s truly bizarre. If it’s a real agenda or warped perspective, I’m beginning to realize that he is infinitely more pathetic than a troll with a schtick.

I wish he would be banned from posting on this site because he adds nothing and siphons the enjoyment of all “good faith” football conversations on this forum. Truly a spectacle no matter what the intention. A know nothing know-it-all with a personality defect.

Reactions: AWS1022
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT