ADVERTISEMENT

I thought Allar was just spectacular last night

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
This was a perfect game for a hyped kid to try and do too much in difficult conditions. For a true Freshman second-year player, he was really smart. He took what was given and threw the ball away when nothing was there. If you look at the TD passes:
  • 9 yard pass to Dinkins on a rope and in a window that wasn't more than 9 inches. Dinkins was covered well on a crossing pattern. More, it was Dinkins first play and first catch. Point here is that Allar didn't lock onto his favorite receiver.
  • 2 yard TD to Warren. Warren was wide open on the play but that is because the setup was so good. PSU pretended to run, then pass, to the right. Allar carried out the fake and then looked left. Warren was wide open. Sometimes people short-arm throws to wide-open receivers. Allar threw a perfect pass; not too far, not too short, not too hard. The least impressive of his TD passes, to be sure, but executed perfectly regardless.
  • 7 yard TD to Warren. This was on a ROPE to a TE that wasn't all that open. Nobody was open. Warren was the most open. This is when the announcer said "you are looking at an NFL quarterback". Again, not a spectacular pass but one that was made after going through his progressions. His quick decision, release and velocity made it such that Warren was the only one prepared for the ball. The D didn't have time to react once Allar mentally committed to where he was throwing the ball.
  • 3 yard pass to KLS. This ball was dropped into the bucket with a soft floater to a WR who was not even close to being open. But Allar put it on a dime and KLS made a great catch. Again, KLS was not the primary target (I don't think).
I counted two more drops and a couple of passes that were miscommunications between the receiver and Allar. BTW, Cephas was one of those cases but he really looks athletic enough to see he can play at this level.

On a night when it was tough to pass, one that Danielson said was his most difficult environment to play in, Allar was 25 for 37 for 166 yards, 4 TDs and zero turnovers. And I don't think he played in the entire fourth quarter.

He is a dude and definitely a missing piece. We haven’t seen an arm talent like this. Not to knock previous QBs because they all brought something different. I will say the command we see on the field and the preparation we hear about off the field are a huge credit to Drew but I also think some of that came from watching Clifford last year. I see him doing some things on the field that may have been the best parts of Sean. Moving people to where they need to go and remaining calm in the toughest situations. That first TD was a fourth down and to be so calm to go through his progressions is a tremendous sign. Excited to watch this young man continue his growth, let’s enjoy it while we can.

He is a dude and definitely a missing piece. We haven’t seen an arm talent like this. Not to knock previous QBs because they all brought something different. I will say the command we see on the field and the preparation we hear about off the field are a huge credit to Drew but I also think some of that came from watching Clifford last year. I see him doing some things on the field that may have been the best parts of Sean. Moving people to where they need to go and remaining calm in the toughest situations. That first TD was a fourth down and to be so calm to go through his progressions is a tremendous sign. Excited to watch this young man continue his growth, let’s enjoy it while we can.
Agree. I loved the post game interview: how he reacted to the F bomb that Singleton dropped, how he handled the ice cream bit, and how Franklin talked about his steady demeanor. Also, when asked about what his message was to his mom who was at home with his sister for their homecoming, he handled that well too.

Also have to mention Beau. He looked really good. I know Iowa was tired, wet and beaten. But it was PSU's second team and everyone in the stadium knew he was going to run the ball. He looked really quick and made great running decisions. Allar will be gone after next year as a top ten, if not #1 overall, pick so I hope we can keep him out of the portal.

Reactions: jimarnp and 91Joe95
Enjoy him. He may be here only a year and a half more (if he chooses to come out and be a top 5 pick). No one is perfect, including Drew, but already is the best QB since Kerry Collins, and will prove to be better than him in my opinion (as soon as he wins some "big" games).

Agree. I loved the post game interview: how he reacted to the F bomb that Singleton dropped, how he handled the ice cream bit, and how Franklin talked about his steady demeanor. Also, when asked about what his message was to his mom who was at home with his sister for their homecoming, he handled that well too.

Also have to mention Beau. He looked really good. I know Iowa was tired, wet and beaten. But it was PSU's second team and everyone in the stadium knew he was going to run the ball. He looked really quick and made great running decisions. Allar will be gone after next year as a top ten, if not #1 overall, pick so I hope we can keep him out of the portal.

No offense to Pribula, but he is not even in the same stratosphere as Allar. Penn State should focus on recruiting the next big time blue chip QB. Pribula is just a stop gap. You can always find comparable QBs via the portal.

Enjoy him. He may be here only a year and a half more (if he chooses to come out and be a top 5 pick). No one is perfect, including Drew, but already is the best QB since Kerry Collins, and will prove to be better than him in my opinion (as soon as he wins some "big" games).
Kerry Collins played with a stacked OL, Brady, Carter, Ingram and Scott. It was the best offense I've ever seen at Penn State.

Drew Allar is on par or ahead in every category compared to every pro-style quarterback we have ever had. Go back and find someone who, at the same age and experience, you would trade for what we have today. Sorry, not even Kerry.

The practice time and games over the next few weeks before OSU should be invaluable for Drew and the receivers. I'm not normally a proponent of a low percentage passing game, but over the next few weeks it would be good to work in some deeper throws. It's an opportunity to get better and give the opposition more to worry about.

In practice our receivers need to work against the first team defense in man coverage. We'll need the skill development on both sides of the ball for OSU and Michigan. We haven't faced someone like Harrison yet. We haven't faced a fast secondary in aggressive man coverage yet. That's what we tend to get against Michigan. As Danielson had noted in last night's broadcast, PSU needs one more receiver to step up beyond KLS, (and for KLS to mature a little).

Reactions: LMTLION
The narrative for a very long time has been that we cannot develop quarterbacks at Penn State. I think that is changing with this young man. We are watching his evolution with our own eyes.

F Bomb Singleton dropped; I missed it; fill me in.

In the post game interview with Allar, he “video bombed” in and put his arm around Drew and said something to the effect of this is my man, he’s the f**king man. Nessler chimed in afterwards and said that Singleton just meant to say Drew is really good and then chuckled.

The narrative for a very long time has been that we cannot develop quarterbacks at Penn State. I think that is changing with this young man. We are watching his evolution with our own eyes.

The narrative was applicable to the Paterno era only. Coach Franklin has only had 2 QBs (McSorely, Clifford) who were long term starters and both have played at the NFL level. If we assume Allar is destined for the NFL, that would give coach Franklin 3 QBs he recruited that made it to the NFL. Not a bad track record.

Also, he’s going to continue to get even stronger physically and fill out, as he still is so young. When you combine that with experience, the potential is unlimited. Also, when you have a qb like him, he should be a magnet to attract other super players.

Reactions: tlbakernc
The narrative was applicable to the Paterno era only. Coach Franklin has only had 2 QBs (McSorely, Clifford) who were long term starters and both have played at the NFL level. If we assume Allar is destined for the NFL, that would give coach Franklin 3 QBs he recruited that made it to the NFL. Not a bad track record.
I must admit Clifford has been a pleasant surprise earning a backup spot in the NFL. He did play well for the most part last season. I realize how important it was for Allar to play behind Clifford last year. Liam is a nice option at wr this year as well!

Reactions: 91Joe95
No offense to Pribula, but he is not even in the same stratosphere as Allar. Penn State should focus on recruiting the next big time blue chip QB. Pribula is just a stop gap. You can always find comparable QBs via the portal.
It would be nice to see if he can throw. All they do is run him. If Allar goes down, he will have to throw, let’s see what he can do.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Post game interview with sideline reporter. Singleton drops into the interview andand yells ‘this is my man, my effing man’ or something like that. Allar looks at him and says, ‘hey, we’re on live TV here’ and moves on. Lightly admonished but not harsh.

It would be nice to see if he can throw. All they do is run him. If Allar goes down, he will have to throw, let’s see what he can do.
I agree with you about Pribula. IMO, he ran entirely too much last night in a game situation in which it was unnecessary, especially when you have a running back like Potts, whom I believe has looked really good when he has played.

Post game interview with sideline reporter. Singleton drops into the interview andand yells ‘this is my man, my effing man’ or something like that. Allar looks at him and says, ‘hey, we’re on live TV here’ and moves on. Lightly admonished but not harsh.
Oh hell, no big deal; I thought he was unhappy about his play. Thanks.....

Drew Allar is on par or ahead in every category compared to every pro-style quarterback we have ever had. Go back and find someone who, at the same age and experience, you would trade for what we have today. Sorry, not even Kerry.

The practice time and games over the next few weeks before OSU should be invaluable for Drew and the receivers. I'm not normally a proponent of a low percentage passing game, but over the next few weeks it would be good to work in some deeper throws. It's an opportunity to get better and give the opposition more to worry about.

In practice our receivers need to work against the first team defense in man coverage. We'll need the skill development on both sides of the ball for OSU and Michigan. We haven't faced someone like Harrison yet. We haven't faced a fast secondary in aggressive man coverage yet. That's what we tend to get against Michigan. As Danielson had noted in last night's broadcast, PSU needs one more receiver to step up beyond KLS, (and for KLS to mature a little).
I remember Kerry Collins in 92 and he struggled. We win at ND that year by 10 if he was more accurate.

This was a perfect game for a hyped kid to try and do too much in difficult conditions. For a true Freshman second-year player, he was really smart. He took what was given and threw the ball away when nothing was there. If you look at the TD passes:
  • 9 yard pass to Dinkins on a rope and in a window that wasn't more than 9 inches. Dinkins was covered well on a crossing pattern. More, it was Dinkins first play and first catch. Point here is that Allar didn't lock onto his favorite receiver.
  • 2 yard TD to Warren. Warren was wide open on the play but that is because the setup was so good. PSU pretended to run, then pass, to the right. Allar carried out the fake and then looked left. Warren was wide open. Sometimes people short-arm throws to wide-open receivers. Allar threw a perfect pass; not too far, not too short, not too hard. The least impressive of his TD passes, to be sure, but executed perfectly regardless.
  • 7 yard TD to Warren. This was on a ROPE to a TE that wasn't all that open. Nobody was open. Warren was the most open. This is when the announcer said "you are looking at an NFL quarterback". Again, not a spectacular pass but one that was made after going through his progressions. His quick decision, release and velocity made it such that Warren was the only one prepared for the ball. The D didn't have time to react once Allar mentally committed to where he was throwing the ball.
  • 3 yard pass to KLS. This ball was dropped into the bucket with a soft floater to a WR who was not even close to being open. But Allar put it on a dime and KLS made a great catch. Again, KLS was not the primary target (I don't think).
I counted two more drops and a couple of passes that were miscommunications between the receiver and Allar. BTW, Cephas was one of those cases but he really looks athletic enough to see he can play at this level.

On a night when it was tough to pass, one that Danielson said was his most difficult environment to play in, Allar was 25 for 37 for 166 yards, 4 TDs and zero turnovers. And I don't think he played in the entire fourth quarter.
I agree with everything except that fade pass to KLS. It worked but I hope to never see that again.

I'd really like to see our TEs use their height and high point the ball much like Gesicki. Our guy catches it or nobody catches it.

I'm not sure there are comparable quarterbacks. Beau may be the quickest I've seen, but not the fastest. (4.58 40). He's just very different. Would be dangerous if he could demonstrate the ability to pass accurately, but that takes developmental time to read defenses, which Beau isn't getting in a run-oriented offense.

Unless this changes, Beau should never be the starter without a well-developed backup in an offense like that. It would just set us up for what happened when McSorley got banged up.

As it is, defenses will learn to defend Beau with a spy. I would use my best tackling cornerback.

I'm not sure there are comparable quarterbacks. Beau may be the quickest I've seen, but not the fastest. (4.58 40). He's just very different. Would be dangerous if he could demonstrate the ability to pass accurately, but that takes developmental time to read defenses, which Beau isn't getting in a run-oriented offense.

Unless this changes, Beau should never be the starter without a well-developed backup in an offense like that. It would just set us up for what happened when McSorley got banged up.

As it is, defenses will learn to defend Beau with a spy. I would use my best tackling cornerback.
..and we really haven't seen him throw much yet.

I agree with everything except that fade pass to KLS. It worked but I hope to never see that again.

I'd really like to see our TEs use their height and high point the ball much like Gesicki. Our guy catches it or nobody catches it.

I agree. Hope that fade doesn't get used against OSU and Michigan. KLS is not Harrison and we're going to see better corners. To me you have to know your man has the advantage or it's a wasted play -- as we saw over and over again in the past.

I like the tight end crossing pattern much better in that situation, or a slant if we had the receiver. Clifford seems sure-handed but can he get separation? Maybe a throw to an RB or TE out of the backfield on a delay.

Reactions: bdgan
I agree. Hope that fade doesn't get used against OSU and Michigan. KLS is not Harrison and we're going to see better corners. To me you have to know your man has the advantage or it's a wasted play -- as we saw over and over again in the past.

I like the tight end crossing pattern much better in that situation, or a slant if we had the receiver. Clifford seems sure-handed but can he get separation? Maybe a throw to an RB or TE out of the backfield on a delay.
during the ILL game, one of the announcers said that they watched Allar practicing fade routes in the endzone and said it was "impressive". I don't think I've ever heard an announcer talk about how good a QB was at throwing fades.

during the ILL game, one of the announcers said that they watched Allar practicing fade routes in the endzone and said it was "impressive". I don't think I've ever heard an announcer talk about how good a QB was at throwing fades.

That's great, but you still have to be throwing to someone who has an advantage in some way over the cornerback.

I agree. Can’t stand those low percentage fades. I would also include running QB draws with Allar as a least favorite play. He is simply too slow for QB draws.

Reactions: 91Joe95
That's great, but you still have to be throwing to someone who has an advantage in some way over the cornerback.
I am not sure I agree. Perhaps on that one play because he was covered so rightly. But the WR and QB always have an advantage because the D has to cover everyone out on the play. The fade is tough because the CB has to cover the corners of the endzone. And they have to get their head back to make sure they don't get interference. So often the WR slows down to keep from going OOB on a short throw and gets run over by the defender (PI) if he doesn't look back for the ball. Even attempting it makes the D defend more territory giving the receivers more room underneath.

Allar has been great and maybe by the end of next year or even the end of this year claiming he's better than Kerry Collins might be fair but it's too early. It's been four games and while he's been everything I hoped for he's not Kerry Collins...not yet.

Plus 4 other NFL rbs on the roster and joe jurevicious.

I liked Kerry Collins. However, I think most fans forget Collins had 1 great year during his Penn State career which was his senior year. In his junior year Collins had 13 TD passes and 11 interceptions. Not great by any standards.

I agree we need to let the Allar era play out before claiming he is the best ever PSU QB. However, I don’t think Allar will have any problems cementing his legacy at Penn State. Allar looks terrific now despite being surrounded by an average WR room. Imagine what Allar could do if he had a great WR.

I liked Kerry Collins. However, I think most fans forget Collins had 1 great year during his Penn State career which was his senior year. In his junior year Collins had 13 TD passes and 11 interceptions. Not great by any standards.

I agree we need to let the Allar era play out before claiming he is the best ever PSU QB. However, I don’t think Allar will have any problems cementing his legacy at Penn State. Allar looks terrific now despite being surrounded by an average WR room. Imagine what Allar could do if he had a great WR.
In Collins junior year he was not the starter at the beginning of the season, IIRC

the final game that year he led a massive comeback against Michigan State and it was clear he was going to be different

Reactions: KCLion and 91Joe95
If you look at the TD passes:

I don't know which one was more impressive: the bullet to Dinkins or the bullet to Warren. The Dinkins pass was in stride, in the red zone. The one to Warren was in traffic and had a lot more possibilities for error.

We've seen so many bad Fades thrown that many here are gunshy of having a legit QB throw them.

Reactions: royboy and KCLion
I don't know which one was more impressive: the bullet to Dinkins or the bullet to Warren. The Dinkins pass was in stride, in the red zone. The one to Warren was in traffic and had a lot more possibilities for error.

We've seen so many bad Fades thrown that many here are gunshy of having a legit QB throw them.
The force and speed of his out throw is also incredibly impressive. That out to Lambert-Smith to the 3 or 4 yard line is a throw that only a small handful of college QBs can complete like that.

Dinkins pass was on 4th down. I don't remember if either pass to Warren was.

Reactions: lazydave841

We are seeing a master class in how to train a QB by Yurich. Patience. Taking what the defense gives. Drew is responding like a master student.
As future teams try to close the short zone reads, it will open up the long ball and the running game. Last night was a perfect game plan and superior execution. Drew may become a Penn State legend. This is also excellent enticement for the 5 star QBs we recruit.

He isn't better than Hackenberg during the second half of a his freshmen year. He probably will be next year but not right now and he isn't better than Clifford or Clark either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT