ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

The gap between Stanford and Cal in support for athletics is about as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Mike Montgomery was a terrific basketball coach and is a great guy. He's also been my brother's neighbor and good friend for about 35 years. Any more questions?

No you answered my question. Just surprising.

I liked Montgomery growing up and his teams were so well coached. He was put in shit situations in the NBA.

You were supposed to make me worry less though.

No you answered my question. Just surprising.

I liked Montgomery growing up and his teams were so well coached. He was put in shit situations in the NBA.

You were supposed to make me worry less though.

Montgomery had an even shittier situation at Cal.

Shrewsberry will be a good choice if it happens. But money is going to be tight for the next couple of years (and it will probably be worse at Purdue and BC if those places concern you). I've never had any confidence that PSU is willing to spend much to see if an investment in the BB program is financially sustainable. Having said that, there are enough clowns watching the purse strings, so there is hope.

So you want to name the Athletic Department after Sandy if she hires a coach who has yet to win a game? How about if Shrewsberry comes to PSU and is a roaring success something is named after him?

We’re already going to have the Sandy Barbour Grand Cathedral for Aquatics. However, given Sandy’s prowess, that probably won’t be enough to adequately convey her legacy.

Shrewsberry will be a good choice if it happens. But money is going to be tight for the next couple of years. I've never had any confidence that PSU is willing to spend much to see if an investment in the BB program is financially sustainable. Having said that, there are enough clowns watching the purse strings, so there is hope.

Hard to believe Shrewsberry would break the bank, though. Pay him more than the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten and he would probably take it initially. The one thing about the history of our program is that coaches have never been given unreasonable demands or put on a serious hot seat right away. Parkhill had the job from '83-'95, Dunn from '95-'03, DeChellis '03-'11 and Chambers '11-'20.

Someone like Shrewsberry has to be looking at that and thinking they can ask for 6-8 years to turn it around, and not feel like they are going to get fired after 2 or 3. That is a plus for someone in his situation.

Hard to believe Shrewsberry would break the bank, though. Pay him more than the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten and he would probably take it initially. The one thing about the history of our program is that coaches have never been given unreasonable demands or put on a serious hot seat right away. Parkhill had the job from '83-'95, Dunn from '95-'03, DeChellis '03-'11 and Chambers '11-'20.

Someone like Shrewsberry has to be looking at that and thinking they can ask for 6-8 years to turn it around, and not feel like they are going to get fired after 2 or 3. That is a plus for someone in his situation.

Oh, no, Shrewsberry won't break the bank. He makes a half a mil and change at Purdue, so he'll likely come in at around what Chambers was getting or less.

I pretty much agree with the remainder of your take. Presumably he, or any other candidate, will have discussions over key aspects of what I'll call the operating budget (assistants' salaries, other staffing levels/comp, recruiting, etc.) so he knows what he has up front. If that's the case, the next critical juncture will occur when he achieves success on the court. Let's hope that happens and reserve that discussion 'til then.

Reactions: step.eng69
If that's the case, the next critical juncture will occur when he achieves success on the court. Let's hope that happens and reserve that discussion 'til then.

If he is hired I do not think there will be mass transfers, and I would bet that we see PSU finishing in the top half of the league by year #3.

Some people think we are doomed by our location, but all I have ever seen is that we were afflicted by coaches who were terrible at coaching, recruiting, or both. You look at the fact that Dunn, DeChellis and Chambers got 8, 8, and 9 years as the HC here. And none of them were especially good at it. A coach who can get us into the tournament 4 times per decade would have a job for life.

Reactions: LioninNC
If he is hired I do not think there will be mass transfers, and I would bet that we see PSU finishing in the top half of the league by year #3.

Some people think we are doomed by our location, but all I have ever seen is that we were afflicted by coaches who were terrible at coaching, recruiting, or both. You look at the fact that Dunn, DeChellis and Chambers got 8, 8, and 9 years as the HC here. And none of them were especially good at it. A coach who can get us into the tournament 4 times per decade would have a job for life.
There's a poster over in the Den that seems pretty dialed into the program that's insisting that the relationship between the AD and the players is irreparably damaged and regardless of who the coach is, there will be mass transfers, some of which are already done deals.

There's a poster over in the Den that seems pretty dialed into the program that's insisting that the relationship between the AD and the players is irreparably damaged and regardless of who the coach is, there will be mass transfers, some of which are already done deals.

that's too bad to hear. maybe I'm way off on thinking the right coach could keep them here.

If that is so, the next coach will face a major uphill battle.

Players: Sandy, we can’t stay at Penn State after what you did to Coach Chambers.

Sandy: But I got this.

Players: Oh, well, then we’re good.

Shrewsbury was involved in getting the 2 high ranked recruits for Purdue for next year. Let's hope that one of them or both would follow him to PSU. One can only hope.

Jameel Brown is from Haverford School (near Merion), so I would assume that at least attempt would be made to flip him.

Shrewsbury seems like a good hire all things considered. He's going to have his work cut out for him, that's for sure. If he can keep this team together and maybe bring a recruit from Purdue with him, he'll be in decent shape to start out, but that's a tall task already.

I see Shrewsberry being really excited about this opportunity and bringing a lot of energy. Then he will have that first quiet moment alone in his new office with the door closed. The cameras will have gone away. He will see the BJC, look at his new psu.edu e-mail address, break into a cold sweat, and have a serious ”What did I just do?!” moment.

o_O

images

Reactions: knickslions
I am not the biggest Sandy fan or hater. Sandy has done pretty decent on most hires. WBB seems to be an upgrade and with time hopefully a lot of success. Women’s Hockey is a huge upgrade. Shrewsberry would be a solid hire.I believe she has made a few others hire, but too early to tell.

I am not the biggest Sandy fan or hater. Sandy has done pretty decent on most hires. WBB seems to be an upgrade and with time hopefully a lot of success. Women’s Hockey is a huge upgrade. Shrewsberry would be a solid hire.I believe she has made a few others hire, but too early to tell.

Agreed. And (assuming he's really the guy) even if Shrewsberry is a failure, I don't think that's a poor reflection on the process or the selection. He's a great hire at this time. We weren't going to get a $3 million or more per year coach given the economics the AD is dealing with currently (or maybe that's just an extremely convenient excuse), so getting arguably the most P5 ready top assistant coach at the right price is a homerun.

Agreed. And (assuming he's really the guy) even if Shrewsberry is a failure, I don't think that's a poor reflection on the process or the selection. He's a great hire at this time. We weren't going to get a $3 million or more per year coach given the economics the AD is dealing with currently (or maybe that's just an extremely convenient excuse), so getting arguably the most P5 ready top assistant coach at the right price is a homerun.

We can find a way to pay the man. Tom Selleck will hook us up with a reverse mortgage on Beaver Stadium.

I suspect this guy is quite strong on X's and O's given his 6 years with the Celtics. Biggest question to me is how well will he recruit. We really need to get some big guys so we can hold our own in the paint (and yes, I give Harrar tons of credit for his development in this area).

I think this may be a solid grade "A" hire. Time will tell, of course.

HIRE GRADE - 9.5/10

I'm not saying Penn State basketball is going to be the next Roman Empire of the CBB landscape but I truly believe with Coach Shrew we'll take the program to even better levels than Pat.

Welcome aboard Micah!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Women’s Hockey is a huge upgrade.
Anybody would have been an upgrade to that job. The original coach did not have any business running a varsity program in any sport. That was a terrible hire from day one. They gifted a job to someone on the cheap and then found out they couldn't control him like they thought.

Still no official announcement?

Not uncommon to see an announcement with the qualification of something like "subject to ratification by the board." PSU must have a different procedure...or....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT