ADVERTISEMENT

Next DC

Why Poindexter? They need to get a higher profiled DC than that... Lee would be good but do not count on it. Though the $$$ at E. Robinson at A&M....
I think because the right pieces have to move around for Robinson to work. JS Jr would have to go to VA Tech with Pry as his DC so we would then have an opening at DL for Robinson to come in and do DL and DC and then again need to find a LB Coach.

Right now the only position open is DC/LB.

I think because the right pieces have to move around for Robinson to work. JS Jr would have to go to VA Tech with Pry as his DC so we would then have an opening at DL for Robinson to come in and do DL and DC and then again need to find a LB Coach.

Right now the only position open is DC/LB.

If Franklin wants to make Robinson work (and Robinson is interested) he'll find a way to make Robinson work. You don't not hire the DC you want because you've got someone coaching the position group he specializes in.

Given JS Jrs relationship with Pry I'd also say its unlikely he doesn't leave with him.

I hear a lot of names of Penn State people. But only commentator Jack Ham survived the scandal and there appears to be a no Penn Stater need apply policy in place.
Any comments

Terry Smith
Justin King was on staff as well

Probably not but then we would'nt be as familar as we are with Sean. We've seen him perform at PSU and in the pros plus the year he was hurt he was pretty much a coach on the sidelines.
His ties are to PSU, not Franklin. As someone said, hire as the LB coach, not DC.

Looks like our guy is moving to the ACC to run his own program. Let’s talk about some legitimate DC Candidates that are realistic! Meaning no, Marcus Freeman isn’t coming to Penn State.
Try to bring Sean Spencer back as legitimate co-DC with Poindexter and try to bring in Sean Lee to coach the LBers.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Robinsons the guy that I was trying to remember. I did look him up and he is outstanding, but all of his experience is on the line. He’s obviously a very talented DL coach, but is he ready to be a DC?

Was Macdonald ready to go from LB coach to DC at Michigan?

I don't personally know, but it's always going to be a guessing game.

Reactions: BBrown
Not kidding, Sean Lee in a second. The kid is smart, and has a coaching future. I am with you on the old PSU names just not being realistic, but Sean Lee would be amazing.
Not as a DC. As a LB or position coach then I'd be on board.

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Pry is keeping associate head coach and DL Coach JC Price. That seems to have to at least imply Scott Jr isn't headed to VA Tech.

Could this mean some restructuring goes on. Maybe a DE Coach and a DL Coach. Maybe Lorig becomes LB Coach and ST Coach?

Those NYD 6 bowls are so overrated.
Agree...without Clemson, the ACC is closer to Conference USA in power. But, most fans will see Pitt in a major bowl and that will certainly increase their brand. So what I think is probably immaterial. OK, for most of you, this isn't the only subject that falls into that category.

Reactions: aworsnup
OT, but I didn't want to start another thread.

What if PSU tells Cliff that it is time to go but he wants to play his 6th year and ends up at VA Tech:)

College Off-Season is almost more fun than the regular season.

Pry is keeping associate head coach and DL Coach JC Price. That seems to have to at least imply Scott Jr isn't headed to VA Tech.

Could this mean some restructuring goes on. Maybe a DE Coach and a DL Coach. Maybe Lorig becomes LB Coach and ST Coach?
Does Lorig know how to teach wrapping one’s arms around ball carrier? ;)

Last edited:
LOL. but Sean Lee....Hmmmm. thats a worthy discussion.

Maybe for a quality coach. Let's suggest someone have more than zero years of coaching before they be considered as a Coordinator candidate at a P5 program.

I don't know enough about what is out there, but I feel like a guy with linebacker coaching in his past would be welcome. I think Poindexter has done well with the secondary and I think Scott can be fine if he gets some horses, but I'd sure love a DC that can't live with missed tackles on the second level.
Promotion from within does not work. Spend some money and get a defensive version of Yancich.

Sean Spencer ready to leave Giants after Judge gets fired?

Franklin should do what he should have done when Shoop left, hire a DC capable of adapting the defensive scheme on a year to year basis to match the realities of today's challenges. Pry refused to do so even though the front seven became more and more like a 3-4 team every year under his tenure. We need a coach that can install a flexible system that would allow us to shift back and forth from an odd to even front as the talent shifts from year to year. Basically, the next Kirby Smart. Look what he did at Alabama during his tenure. He started as a pure 3-4 with a 0 tech tackle. Moved to a 3-4 with the line shifted left or right allowing a pair of normally 3 tech tackles to succeed in an odd front. Ran the 46 for one year. Moved to a pure 4-3 not unlike ours for a spell. They ebbed and flowed over time but were never bad despite constant transfers and early NFL departures because he was able to shift the defense to match reality rather than attempt to force feed reality into the defense.

This year's unit was fairly good but had a few critical weaknesses, one being the non-existent pass rush outside of Ebikete, the other being our linebacker/defensive ends regularly getting blown off the ball all the way to Clarion against the outside run. Image would the defense would have been had we put Izzard and Tangelo at end (other than PJ and Hansard, every tackle on the roster projects better to 3-4 end than 4-3 tackle), PJ in the middle with Ebiketie and Luketa playing outside linebacker (where both will play in the NFL). No square pegs in round wholes and we probably have a pass rush and won't have Ebiketie or Luketa taking on a tackle man to man in the run game. And we have plenty of 3-4 outside linebacker prospects on the roster.

But hey, today, WE ARE BETTER! Now if we can get rid of the other system guy on the other side.

Reactions: dbbp and Psugo823
Jim Leonhard would be a grand slam but thats not happening, but a coach in that same vein is where I want to go.

You must be able to read and comprehend to understand what I am about to say. If you skim and jump to conclusions then STOP reading right now.

Question: Does Franklin have any connections or ties to older NFL type coaches that may be out of the league? I am thinking like a Rex Ryan mold. Someone who was a great DC but an iffy Head Coach and is sitting in a broadcast booth or even at home. It might give the defense the new eyes that it needs. It also brings in an older, experienced coach that possibly can sit in to booth and call defenses while being on the mic for game management advice.

I asked you to read because by no means was I saying hire Rex Ryan. But I know some dolts on here can't wait to say I'm crazy if I want Rex Ryan.

Reactions: m48tank and shifix
You must be able to read and comprehend to understand what I am about to say. If you skim and jump to conclusions then STOP reading right now.

Question: Does Franklin have any connections or ties to older NFL type coaches that may be out of the league? I am thinking like a Rex Ryan mold. Someone who was a great DC but an iffy Head Coach and is sitting in a broadcast booth or even at home. It might give the defense the new eyes that it needs. It also brings in an older, experienced coach that possibly can sit in to booth and call defenses while being on the mic for game management advice.

I asked you to read because by no means was I saying hire Rex Ryan. But I know some dolts on here can't wait to say I'm crazy if I want Rex Ryan.
Like Mike Pettine?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT